OOC Act I

MikeS 2014-08-12 10:05:05
Btw, did we decide to only do one scene apiece in each act? Because that'll drive how fast we have to escalate.
Given how fast the game has been moving, and how short the scenes were, I wouldn't mind two scenes per player per act, but it looks like things might come to a head much faster.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-08-12 10:14:23
I asked if we could go round one time with everyone before we made that call. Now that we practically have, I wouldn't mind the full 2 scenes per player per Act. They go pretty fast, and who's to say "robbing the car lot" is the climax? It could happen right now and the rest of the game is dealing with the various parties fallout as they angle for their Needs, as Lou and his Miami crew turn up to ask about their missing shipment, as the cops (?) get involved. The boxing night the next night is a good scene to get everyone together again for some horrible payback as well.

Mechanically, 2 scenes per player per Act will also ensure we use all the dice, and it forces certain outcomes as the dice supply dwindles.
Gatac 2014-08-12 10:44:11
Ed could be running late, and arrive to find Rocco holding up Drew and Donna. A quick whack with the baseball bat would be enough to let everyone run away, and I presume Drew and Donna would be disguised just enough that Rocco wouldn't outright recognize them in the dark - but of course he wouldn't rest until he'd found out who tried to rob him and who attacked him.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-08-12 11:08:48
Why prolong the thing, though? And are they the kind of people who think to wear disguises? Better Rocco knows who's what, and can't do anything about it directly.

Ah ha!

How's this, guys? We start with Rocco on the car lot gravel, Ed standing over him with a baseball bat looking nervous, and Drew has Rocco's gun trained on him with Donna next to him.

I keep assuming Donna would be doing this with Drew (if only to keep a direct eye on each other), correct me if that's wrong Reagan.
MikeS 2014-08-12 11:09:36
And what will Drew and Donna do with Tammy?

Hmm.... maybe they should ask Ed to ice her...

Or did you want the whack to just stun Rocco for a moment?
Community Lotion 2014-08-12 11:10:08
Admiral Duck Sauce wrote:

They go pretty fast, and who's to say "robbing the car lot" is the climax?

This is a feature of Fiasco! Its like improv, we can do a 'climax', and then we have to narrate our way out of it. Just had another thought; what if Ed felt he needed more muscle, and shows up, not only with his bat, but with half a dozen meathead boxers too?
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-08-12 11:21:16
I think stunning Rocco for a moment is better, because 1) it's his scene, he should be able to interact with something and 2) running away just avoids conflict. Rocco doesn't learn anything new about Donna's parents, about who's stealing his stash, anything.

Maybe three boxers. Maybe we open with Ed's help taking Rocco's gun, holding everyone at gunpoint, and making off with the stash.

The only thing is I do like keeping it focused on the primary characters as much as we can, that's just my preference.
Gatac 2014-08-12 11:22:34
Ooh, nice one.

"Darn it, Marco! I thought we were friends!"

Result: all of us in the same boat, trying to get the stash back before the Miami boys come to town to collect.
Community Lotion 2014-08-12 11:22:53
Ohhh, I like it, Ed making a power play of his own sounds just like a scene from a Coen brothers movie.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-08-12 11:33:30
Remember that we can start with Rocco (or all of us) in a tight spot, but Dave gets to say whether it ends well or pooooorly for himself. So far we could establish at Rocco's car lot, it's late thursday/pre-dawn friday, and:

1. Ed tags Rocco with the bat long enough for Ed's buddies to swipe Rocco's gun;
2. Ed's buddies pointing gun at Rocco, Drew, Donna, AND Ed. Go from there?

If that's how we want it, Robert should probably open the scene honestly.
Community Lotion 2014-08-12 11:57:34
I like it! Are Donna and/or Drew present in the scene? Remember, with these other NPCs in the scene, Mike and I could always play a boxer instead.
MikeS 2014-08-12 12:02:52
Maybe the scene actually starts with Rocco holding everyone at gunpoint, and then there's a scuffle, and some of the other muscle gets hurt (but Rocco ends up losing his gun), and that's when the meatheads decide they gotta pay themselves, and take Ed with them because they still think he's their friend.

Incidentally, I think Drew would bring a gun as well. Something small and wimpy looking, like a Colt Detective Special.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-08-12 12:03:48
I think Drew for sure, because he's gotta oversee Ed, and Donna optionally, because she and Drew wouldn't trust each other enough to let each other out of their sight for something like this, right?

Ed's meatbags (Joeboy Junior? Big Bob? Bigger Bob?) are probably a surprise to everyone, but it was probably a surprise off-camera, and everyone decided to roll with it, or were intimidated into rolling with it now that there are a bunch of boxers in play. Decide how uncomfortable you all are for yourselves with Ed taking some initiative. Hell, maybe Ed's momma advised him take some friends along if he's goin' out at night.

I'm thinking maybe Tammy Lee stays shut in the trunk, and I can help out with NPCs that way too.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-08-12 12:05:44
I like Mike's idea. The more guns the better. However, I think in favor of putting you into a tight spot when you ask US to establish for YOU, the scuffle happens just prior to the scene, so it's not like we open with Rocco holding all the cards, and instead put him in a worse position, THEN open it to play.
Dieter 2014-08-13 15:10:43
Well, here you go. It's not a complete resolution, but I think it covers the bases. Tammy may just be in the best position to survive this scene.
Community Lotion 2014-08-13 15:13:44
Here's what I am thinking, and want to do a flashback scene when its my turn. Lou is in witness protection, or hiding from the law in FL. Faced with the threat of jailtime, both for her and for Lou, the FBI approached Donna, and had her set up a scenario to bust some traffickers. Lou doesn't know it, but Donna got him here as a part of that plan; and the feds are looking to bust Rocco, to flip him for the source.
Dieter 2014-08-13 15:38:20
I like the idea of a flashback...maybe be a scene a few months ago involving some undercover Feds at the Chicken Hut? Tammy could get some facetime.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-08-14 12:37:13
I threw impending cops into the mix to help keep Ed and Drew alive for now, so Lou's guys just don't cap Ed and chase down Drew in a car or something. Secondly, I'm thinking Lou runs a tight ship vis a vis distribution and shipping and whatnot, and probably isn't set up to take the drug car right at this moment, and he's a wanted man, so he's not gonna take the car and sit on it any longer than he has to. That's my thinking, if people take great offense we can edit or retcon something.

Also Dave, you have to decide if you want Rocco's involvement to end well or badly for him, and take a black or white die to give to another player. Remaining conscious, unshot, not robbed, and in possession of the drug stash seems like a positive to me, but being in possession of the drug car could be considered a bad thing too, I suppose. But we're not voting - you decide how the scene resolves for you.
Dieter 2014-08-14 13:51:33
I'm going to give Donna a white die for not killing her poor, old Uncle.