CAMPAIGN COMMENTS - Comments on previous/current Spycraft ca

Dieter 2004-01-08 02:41:05
In response to the AEG link questions, I don't have the Pan-Asia guide nor do I have the Fixer/Snoop sourcebook. I'm sure some googling or searching on the AEG boards would yield some sort of an answer.
Dieter 2004-01-12 16:44:29
As mentioned in the new OOC thread, a mission wrap up is coming.

This forum is now also open to ideas for the next mission. I'd like to keep it located in the British Isles as they are small enough to manage and offer a wide variety of terrain and culture.

I was thinking of somthing maybe in Northern Ireland, perhaps stemming from any leads the now-captured Catesby would have given during interrogation.
Gatac 2004-01-12 17:02:12
Hm, definately. North Ireland gets my approval.

Gatac
CrazyIvan 2004-01-12 19:56:19
Our usual penchent for gunfire...an SAS op in the team...Northern Ireland...

Sounds like fun.
Dieter 2004-01-12 20:17:28
I have a fairly good idea of what is going to happen for the next campaign...something dealing with the IRA and retribution for the failed Fawkes plot.
Dieter 2004-01-12 22:53:37
Thanks. I'm hoping to draw alot from the foundation I created from the previous campaign. I think for once you'll start seeing recurring characters and the ubiquitous "*" indicating something from a previous chapter.

*Like the footnotes they put in comic books. (i.e. *see Chapter 3 from "Bonnie Scotland")
Dieter 2004-01-31 00:43:46
I like how in Savage Worlds, you can specify a headshot. It's a little frustrating that all you can say in Spycraft is, "I shoot him." And have you seen the Double-Tap feat? What an RPG embarrassment! -4 to attack roll to improve threat range by 1, my ass.
Dieter 2004-01-31 02:47:06
Yeah, yeah...I know the d20 system lacks the satisfaction of "I shoot 'em in the freakin' head!"

You know what I say...fuck that noise.

The way I interpret the rules is that for every 4 you take off your attack, you get the improved threat range.

Ayumi is +13 hit/1d12+3 dmg at close range with a pistol. I'll edit out the 9mm part and give you .45's (higher threat range).

Ayumi takes both pistols, goes akimbo on Vercetti's ass with a -8 to hit (+5 total to hit). The threat range gets bumped down to 17-20 (instead of 19-20). Top that off with -4 for Tommy being "unaware" and you are back up to +9 to hit.

You only would need to roll and 8 or better to get a potential critical and probably that much again to trigger the critical. Go akimbo as mentioned above and you just doubled your chances.

Remember, criticals go straight to wound damage. The average person has 10WPs. At 1d12+3 (x2 for akimbo)...buh-bye Mr. Vercetti. :)
Gatac 2004-03-01 19:23:31
I've been thinking. Flawless Identity would grant me a second, bullet-proof identity (since it's one for every five levels, rounded up). Now I was thinking of which to choose. Since it would also go with my skill choices for next level, I thought I'd run it by you.

Things I've been pondering:

A) Resume abusing Samantha's identity. It would ideally follow us finally getting her, then spreading the "facial reconstruction" issue. The story would be "You remember that western hussy who tried to impersonate me? I killed her, but she also winged my face. Seemed fitting to wear hers in rememberance." I like that a lot, since it gives me underground contacts.

Skills: Probably Knowledge(Firearms) and Profession(Gunrunner).

B) Some sort of artist. Makes a good cover for international travel, provides the rest of the group with some cover (RE: Vegas episode). Takes full advantage of Jessica's levels as Faceman, her charisma and the existing ranks in Perform. Would require some more work in using it in the underground, though.

Skills: Expand Perform. Maybe some feats.

C) An expert from Interpol. This would give her some weight to throw around, but it could step on the toes of Punkey's snoop.

Skills: Some Bureaucracy. A few investigative skills. Probably the hardest to pull off, though.

D) Something else. Open to suggestions.

So what do you folks think?

Gatac
Gatac 2004-03-01 20:57:57
I had a short talk with Punkey. He favoured C), since Jess and Robert could work well in tandem then, but it also prompted me to explain option A). The plan would be like this (assuming we manage to get rid of Samantha):

Jess claims that she is Samantha. A team of hitmen (our group) came after her, and Sam managed to kill their leader (Jess), tying it into the grudge match thing since she has impersonated Sam (or tried to). In the fight, Sam's old face was ruined, but in a turn of weird badass-ry, she adopted the face of her enemy in a sort of weird tribute. (Thus explaining why this new Samantha looks like Jess.) The other killers, upon seeing their leader killed, pledged alliance to Samantha and became her new bodyguards. Due to the extensive cranial trauma, Sam has lost much of her memory (since Jess doesn't know a whole lot of what Sam knew, unless she survived to give us a detailed rundown of her operation) and is now trying to rebuild her operation.

This accomplishes the following points:

A) It handwaves away the team's prior operations. Oh, they're a group of assassins. Now they're her bodyguards. Makes sense for them to travel together.

B) It adds a few levels of badass to Samantha's character, which directly helps Jess.

C) It gives Jess access to a net of contacts. Making people believe she's Samantha should be a bit easier than trying to infiltrate those nets herself as a blank identity.

D) It includes getting rid of Samantha.

Drawbacks:

As Punkey pointed out, though, it's kind of high risk, and gives us a lot more notority in the underground which could negatively influence undercover operations. Besides, a slip-up could be deadly - after all, the rest of the team *doesn't* have Flawless Identity.

Can't believe we spent 45 minutes argueing that. :)

Gatac
Dieter 2004-03-01 21:15:41
The Agency would frown upon taking on the identity of a known crime boss. It's bad enough that you impersonated her, now you want to have her as one of your incontrovertible identities?

Food for thought:

-The Agency would be responsible for maintaining the flawless identity records for Samantha. There are way too many unknowns for it to be complete.

-Samantha Illiavic (AKA Samantha Illingworth) is on INTERPOL's top 20 list. If you are caught by the authorities, there is a -very- good chance of you being placed in prison for the remainder of your life.

-The one problem with the "Flawless Identity" is that you can't fake your own DNA. Odds are some police database has Illingworths on file. If it came down to a thorough investigation, you would be found -not- to be her. I find it interesting that Spycraft didn't account for that bit of well known technology.

-I'm not sure if the rest of your colleagues would like to openly associated with a crime organization. As you mentioned, -your- identity is flawless but their's are not.
Something about severed horseheads and being gunned down at tollbooths comes to mind. The Russian mafia is considered the most brutal and unforgiving.
Gatac 2004-03-01 21:18:47
Hm, well, that settles that :)

How about C) ? See any problems with that?

Gatac
Gatac 2004-03-02 10:56:13
Ok, tentative second concept (following C):

Judith Eames, DEA Special Agent on loan to Interpol's Criminal Organisations and Drugs Sub-Directorate.

Daughter of Walther and Chandra Eames, her father disappeared when she was five. No official word ever reached her or her mother, and it was hard to get over it; she was old enough to distinctly remember him, but too young to cope with the loss. As she entered college, her mother suffered a heart attack. On her deathbed, she told Judith that her father had been involved with the government and drugs somehow, but had never told her any details. The death of her mother coupled with the resurfacing memories of her father's disappearance radically altered her path in life; she became mildly obsessed with finding out what had happened years ago. Consequently, she focussed her attention on getting into the DEA, which she figured would be a good place to start. Due to her outstanding talent for undercover work and her lingual talent, she was assigned to the DEA's detachment to Interpol, though some speculate it was just to get both her and Interpol out of the DEA's hair.

Judith is known to be friendly and outgoing, though she can sometimes get a little forceful and intense when she's locked her jaws onto something. She has a slight nervous tic of fiddling with her hair when she's thinking. She also believes good pop music died with the 80s.

How's that look?

Gatac

(Edited by Gatac at 11:00 am on Mar. 2, 2004)
Dieter 2004-03-12 17:23:59
Two freaking years...

That's how long the current Spycraft game has been going.

Thanks to all my players who have stuck it out.

Happy Birthday!. :)
Gatac 2004-03-12 17:30:32
Happy birthday to us, happy birthday to us, happy birthday, dear Agents...

Happy birthday to us!

Gatac :)
Gatac 2004-03-23 18:07:29
Er, since I've received no comment to the contrary, may I assume that the "DEA/Interpol Agent" cover is approved?

Gatac