OOC: Junkyard Wars

e of pi 2006-02-24 06:55:09
Niiiice. Okay, I was going to try something myself, but that's way better than anything I could do with paper and pencil on my light table. For one thing, it's 3D.
e of pi 2006-02-24 17:21:35
I have a question of procedure. do we have to wait for anyone in particular to post before we start, or is it just that no one is?
Admiral Duck Sauce 2006-02-24 17:36:46
Yesterday was one of those flukes where everyone seemed to be able to post really quick. Today I have to do actual work, and generally I like to wait a little bit after a busy day like that for people who don't post often to chime in if they want to.

Generally, there's no real restrictions on posting how your character feels or what they're doing in "down-time". We tend not to act out responses from other peoples' characters during the course of our posts, though. You say your experience with RPGs is just the one Trek game, but you seem to have picked up on things right quick and you're doing fine. Remember, it's just a game, not Shakespeare or long division.

In the current situation, I would wait until Aihal (Jorm) or I post something about the start of the next morning's meeting, or I throw a curveball at you all during the night. :)
fanchergw 2006-02-24 17:43:10
My posting's been a bit slow lately, as I've been getting slammed at work - which may continue for a few days. (Sorry about that, everyone.)

E, one other thing to remember is that a scene shift doesn't mean you have to drop other scenes if they aren't complete. For example, Ty could finish conversations with Calsera and others in the bar even if ADS moves the scene to the next morning. It's a bit of a juggle, but as long as you give some indication what part of your post is dealing with what scene, it shouldn't be a problem.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2006-02-24 17:50:48
Good point. CrazyIvan's got a question posed directly to Aurelia, but we'll probably be at the meeting before he sees it. (this is also a reminder that 'Relia DOES have a question posed to her, in case we jump onto a new page). :)

We've got Edit buttons in case something goes wrong.
Dieter 2006-02-24 17:51:15
I think we all just ask that no player consciously hijack another person's character. Most of the time all it takes is PM-ing the person and getting an OK to do so.
Aihal the Silent 2006-02-24 20:48:30
Pssst...

I was supposed to meet Ty at 0800 hours in Bay 13, though, we can just say that I slept through that meeting :wink:
Admiral Duck Sauce 2006-02-24 20:53:00
No, that was my faulty math. Edited.

edit: AND... since Calsera's there, either she's there at 0900 and Jorm and Ty have moved somewhere else for their thing, or she's there before either of the two guys get there. Sorry about that everyone, I can't do simple math today.
e of pi 2006-02-28 16:38:16
Can we hand out assignments and declare the meeting over? I think Ty, for one, is rarin' to go, unless rarin' is somehow illegal.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2006-02-28 16:51:53
If noone has nothing else to add, I can start rolling for people and write up an A-Team montage at some point today.
fanchergw 2006-02-28 17:36:43
Uhm... I hate to sound stupid, but rolling for what? The work on the new ship? Whatever it is that we're supposed to meet Kolit to learn about but haven't yet? I'm confused.
Aihal the Silent 2006-02-28 17:38:12
I believe my post just answered some fancher's question. I apologize for not replying sooner, I've had to actually work at work this week. :lol: Thanks to the Vandal's for carrying the conversation.

I'm ready to roll (so to speak).
fanchergw 2006-02-28 17:42:08
So the "A-Team montage" has to do with them working on the ship? It's been a long time, but I do seem to recall them occasionally refitting a vehicle of some sort.

Not sure how Calsera can help, though.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2006-02-28 21:26:54
Yes, the A-Team montage will be of a ship construction type, interspersed with napping montages for Cat and drinking/bragging montages for Mandall. :)
Dieter 2006-02-28 21:36:30
admiralducksauce wrote:

Yes, the A-Team montage will be of a ship construction type, interspersed with napping montages for Cat and drinking/bragging montages for Mandall. :)

Tangentially, if you missed Family Guy's homage to the A-Team on Sunday night it was quite possibly the funniest episode ever. :P
Admiral Duck Sauce 2006-03-01 16:05:30
Constructing Echo is a foregone conclusion - it's not like you won't be able to build it. The variables here are the quality of the ship and how long it will take to make it.

First, time. My plan was to roll against a very high difficulty - failure would extend the time needed, and we'd simply go down in difficulty until you passed the check. Turns out the very first roll was a success, so Echo can be done by the time your leave is up (that's a starship in slightly more than a day - eat that, Monster Garage!).

Everyone's helping, but not everyone's rolling. For the most part, you're just labor. Aurelia's the "chief roller", and Jorm will try and provide a bonus on everything except the computer system, where Ty will be assisting.

I don't really have a ton of stats for ships in this game. Most of the time they just act as a bonus to your own stats if you've got a better ship than the other guy. Ships have Shields and Hull scores, and other than that everything is relative to what you're facing off against. With Echo and the Dagger, though, I think I'm going to give some ships traits, just like your characters. Yes, the Serenity game prompted that, with its system for ships. :)

This is off the top of my head, and it might need some revision, but for the Rusty Dagger I was thinking:

Of One Mind: Aurelia made the Rusty Dagger herself - she knows it, and it knows her. Twice per storyline thread, any roll involving the Dagger can be rerolled, keeping the more favorable of the two results. This can be piloting, repair, or combat rolls by the crew, or even attacks made against the Dagger. Aurelia must be on board for this bonus to apply.

For Echo, I think an Aspect of Electronic Warfare would be appropriate. It would give a bonus to all sensor-related actions. The rating of this bonus will be determined by the rolling.

As for Echo's Hull and Shields scores, they're pretty much set by the size of the ship. Astounding success will increase them, dismal failure will penalize them. It's manueverability is likewise dependent on rolling, and I'll give it a possible range from "B-Wing" to "stock YT-1300".
Aihal the Silent 2006-03-01 16:07:29
e of pi wrote:

So, when can we expect the montage to be posted?

It'll be posted when it is posted. ADS toned down the pace of this game to focus on the other games he is running and real life (look at the recent posts in Anything Goes\Vacation Time). He posts when he can. Also, the montage will probably require several dice rolls, so it'll most likely take a bit longer than average.

Patience padawan. :D
Gatac 2006-03-01 16:14:01
Mandall will, of course, completely sleep through the thing.

...you didn't expect him to help, did you? :)

Gatac