Jade Imperium OOC 5

Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-13 17:52:08
I'm posting and I keep adding to the post as I see the OOC discussion balloon. :)

First off, Wild Die to Angel because Ivan once again touches on the core "cavemen vs. spacemen" theme. And a Wild Die to Davis because Punkey hit on Swims-in-Black's core motivation. I just couldn't award it at the time because I didn't want to give too much away. :)

You are maybe a few million miles from the Gate... so, REALLY really close. Maybe 3-4 times the distance between the Earth and the moon.

So close that if you were going to stop, you'd have to get into the crashers and fire the cruise engines full power to stop in time, and you'd have to be running for those couches within say, the next 3 minutes.

Making a "false ship" on sensors I believe is what Dieter is saying and Gatac is worried that they'll just use a telescope to determine which signature is the real ship.

Yes, they can use telescopes and laser rangefinders to aim weapons. The distances are such that you would need to lead your target slightly even with a laser, so it's not an instant kill. Part of my assumptions for space combat in this game is that:

1. Computers HELP, but as in all good space opera, the characters are the ones who contribute the bulk of the work.
2. Intuition plays a bigger role in targeting than you think. When you have a ship launch 8 identical decoys, all moving erratically with several miles between them, you have to use your best guess when you fire. If you're close enough to see them, it gets easier. ECM/ECCM plays a big part in Imperial battle.

Hiding your ship is difficult in this situation because they already know where you are and where you are intending to go. Plus at this point Akamu might be coasting but it's still several hundred degrees hotter than everything around it. Luckily, heat can be spoofed or decoyed.

Convincing Swims is a big part of any of these plans working. I was assuming someone would be persuading the hairy bastard prior to any other planning. But you have to convince him in the next 3 minutes else he'll be stopping the ship. E has a good argument, but remember that he's not human. He may not have the instinctual care for your planet, so you gotta put it in his terms. Give him reasons why he shouldn't just open the bay doors and space you all and be done with it.

Let's see.... Punkey asks about dialing the Gate while in-flight. Arketta or any of the crew could explain it to you, but it's called "threading the needle":

1. You go full-burn towards a Gate, which, let me remind you, is only 500 feet wide.
2. You transmit your code timed to open the portal split-seconds before you pass through.
3. You pass through the portal going too fast for any point-defense batteries to track you.
4. You abort the portal split-seconds after you get through so they can't simply pursue you.

There's no redial function on a Gate. The only way they can figure out where you went is if the Gate-station or any pursuers took video of the starfield through the other side. They can match that with known configurations - basically a fingerprint - and determine where you went, but that takes time.

There's danger, of course. You could mis-time your transmission and end up passing through the Gate BEFORE it activates, which means you are still under fire and pursued. You could miss the Gate completely. You could HIT the Gate, which would kill you all. You could mis-time the abort code and still be pursued. You could be hit by point defense.
punkey 2007-11-13 17:56:58
Yeah, but it's better than sitting here with our thumbs up our asses waiting to get shot. I say if they can't hit us at full burn, we just go for it. If they can, we get that decoy beacon rigged up and then do it. But before we do either one, we need to get them to help us. We're probably really going to need Yaris for this one.
Dieter 2007-11-13 18:06:44
Punkey wrote:

Yeah, but it's better than sitting here with our thumbs up our asses waiting to get shot. I say if they can't hit us at full burn, we just go for it. If they can, we get that decoy beacon rigged up and then do it. But before we do either one, we need to get them to help us. We're probably really going to need Yaris for this one.

Ditto.

Is there anyway we can perform a bonehead manuever, in the spirit of Babylon 5? Something on the lines of trying to push the engines well beyond manufacturing specs or possibly engage the hyperspace drive in normal space. I'm not sure of the Ducksaucian Physics we're using here, but I'd like to use the full brunt of Max's Nerdyness.
e of pi 2007-11-13 20:41:49
Just a quick reminder to fancherw: Luis isn't in the room.

As for Swims-the-Black, I intended the primary thrust of it not to be the threat to earth (as you point out, he doesn't have the emotional connections a Terran does, or even necesarily as much reverential admiration for the Homeworld), but the threat of being responsible for a repeat of what he witnessed over the other would while he was a Jade Caretaker. As likely as not, that's what caused him to become a rebel in the first place, and thus that's the likliest thing to get him back into the mood.

Well, that and the fact that we have enough anti-ship weapons to hold off the Turai. But that's logistics. Connect to what made him a rebel to begin with, and you may be able to pull it off.
Dieter 2007-11-13 20:57:22
fanchergw wrote:

What a day to be pregnant with work. :roll: :cry:

May your child be a masculine child. :P
punkey 2007-11-13 21:03:06
e of pi wrote:

As for Swims-the-Black, I intended the primary thrust of it not to be the threat to earth (as you point out, he doesn't have the emotional connections a Terran does, or even necesarily as much reverential admiration for the Homeworld), but the threat of being responsible for a repeat of what he witnessed over the other would while he was a Jade Caretaker. As likely as not, that's what caused him to become a rebel in the first place, and thus that's the likliest thing to get him back into the mood.

Indeed, sir.
e of pi 2007-11-13 21:04:38
Punkey wrote:

e of pi wrote:

Indeed, sir.

Thanks. It also might be pertinent to mention the treatment of Earth's refugees, relating it to the bondage of his own people.
fanchergw 2007-11-13 21:41:08
Dieter wrote:

fanchergw wrote:

I have one of each, actually (see avatar picture), but thanks. :?
Dieter 2007-11-13 21:46:46
fanchergw wrote:

Dieter wrote:

fanchergw wrote:

Sorry, pregnant-child...guess my Godfather comment/joke was a bit confusing.
fanchergw 2007-11-13 22:54:01
Dieter wrote:

fanchergw wrote:

Dieter wrote:

fanchergw wrote:

Sorry, pregnant-child...guess my Godfather comment/joke was a bit confusing.

Naw, I was just playing straight-man to your funny-man. No harm, no foul.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-14 16:04:25
Dieter wrote:

Is there anyway we can perform a bonehead manuever, in the spirit of Babylon 5? Something on the lines of trying to push the engines well beyond manufacturing specs or possibly engage the hyperspace drive in normal space. I'm not sure of the Ducksaucian Physics we're using here, but I'd like to use the full brunt of Max's Nerdyness.

The threading the needle thing I mentioned earlier is about as boneheaded as you can get. There's no hyperspace; the only things that can break the lightspeed barrier are the Gateways.

(For people who have played Sword of the Stars, the Imperium expands like the Hivers)

Bonehead maneuvers may open themselves up if you could get a better understanding of the engine room, but it's been locked since you came onboard. One-Ton is paranoid to a level Max would approve of. :)
Gatac 2007-11-14 16:51:42
Speechified!

And wild dice'd. This has to work.

Gatac
Gatac 2007-11-14 17:18:32
I guess we'll need to hack the transponder from the couches, then.

Gatac
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-14 17:21:02
You have three agro-vehicles. They're sizable machines and might work for decoys if you rigged them with some sort of thermal charge to burn through them over a short period of time (to simulate the cruise engine heat), and if Akamu went optical only you wouldn't need to spoof telemetry. By the time the ship needs to code the Gateway the Imperium will either know which one is the real you anyway or they'll be too late.

Since the cargo bay opens to the front, all the pilot has to do is shut down the inertial dampeners for the ship and gently squeeze the brakes to launch the makeshift decoys. You'd want to be in one of those restraining couches for that unless you like looking like salsa.

They won't be good decoys - a good decoy would move in an erratic pattern simulating evasive manuevers - but they're more than you have right now.
Gatac 2007-11-14 17:24:15
What is Imperial policy towards spacesuits splashing out of airlocks with their emergency beacons activated?

Gatac
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-14 17:26:40
Rescue. They're not heartless bastards to their own people until they figure out who they are and what they've done. :)
Gatac 2007-11-14 17:33:16
Next question: what is *our* policy towards rigging spacesuits with explosives?

:twisted:

Gatac

(I'm aware that we might not have the time nor the opportunity, but I'd go there anyway. If we can do it, it might be good for a laugh.)