Jade Imperium OOC 5

Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-02 06:24:30
Who's sleeping where (or at all)? As mentioned, there are three bunks with the crew and the rest can have the cargo bay.

Alternately, what are you doing if resting after a long day of police chases, arms deals, and quasi-legal space travel isn't on your to-do list?
Dieter 2007-11-02 17:10:14
Max will be hacking into Akuma's computer. I'm talking low-level, low-priority, semi-firewalled (if any) systems. If that's successful, it should be provide a nice backdoor into their more sensitive systems...such as NavControl, Powerflows, and security protocols.
Dieter 2007-11-02 21:27:53
Punkey wrote:

Copy it off the system, maybe? Or hack it in place?

Good question. What's the general consensus? We might not have another opportunity to get this kind of info.

Also, is someone watching the door/bulkhead in the event someone happens to walk in?
e of pi 2007-11-03 18:26:57
Does Max recognize the logs he's looking at as "wrong" in the same way the data we were originally looking at when we chose this ship was? If they're cooked books or something, they might have been cooked by the same person. (Probably Jack-in-the-head girl.) Under this, the encrypted ones would probably be the actual ones, showing what they were really doing.
punkey 2007-11-03 19:04:20
Well, we're equally screwed if we get caught, and both of them could be booby trapped without us being able to really tell. Coin flip, anyone?
e of pi 2007-11-03 22:44:02
Punkey wrote:

Well, we're equally screwed if we get caught, and both of them could be booby trapped without us being able to really tell. Coin flip, anyone?

The encrypted one.
punkey 2007-11-04 02:35:48
No, not that. It's obvious which one we want, the one with the goodies inside. The question is, do we copy it out and set off the software triggers designed to detect copying, or do we hack it in place and set off the software triggers designed to detect decryption?
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-04 15:12:35
If it'll help you pick something, copying it will let you hack it later if you want, or in a safer location, while hacking in place allows you to follow up on anything you find since you're already in the system.
Dieter 2007-11-04 16:37:33
I vote for copying it. If we're destined to get caught, at least we'll have it as opposed to just falling for the trap and not getting anything for our troubles.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-05 06:25:04
You've got 10 hours to the gate and a sleep cycle coming up. Which lucky three get beds in the crew quarters and who's sleeping in cargo?

Is Max waiting for most of the crew to sleep before he hacks into his stolen file, or is he snuggling up in a cubbyhole somewhere?
punkey 2007-11-05 07:16:39
Davis will provide watch for Max, whenever he gets around to cracking the file. Hopefully that will be sooner than later, since we might get scanned and searched any second now, and any bit of ammo we have to get our hosts to not sell us out would be very helpful.
Dieter 2007-11-05 16:11:57
Punkey wrote:

Davis will provide watch for Max, whenever he gets around to cracking the file. Hopefully that will be sooner than later, since we might get scanned and searched any second now, and any bit of ammo we have to get our hosts to not sell us out would be very helpful.

I suppose the best course of action is to decrypt a bit, get a good 6hrs of rest, then resume decrypting.
punkey 2007-11-05 18:02:25
Well, unless Max is going to be cranking out encryption workarounds or dictionary attacks by hand, I figure cracking it would be an automatic process. Plug the file into whatever decryption suite either Max's or Davis' laptops have and let it run. If that's the case, we could split the file up between the laptops for the decrypt and each person guard their own and try to stay out of trouble, or just keep it on one and take shifts watching over the decrypt.
Dieter 2007-11-05 18:04:31
Punkey wrote:

Well, unless Max is going to be cranking out encryption workarounds or dictionary attacks by hand, I figure cracking it would be an automatic process. Plug the file into whatever decryption suite either Max's or Davis' laptops have and let it run. If that's the case, we could split the file up between the laptops for the decrypt and each person guard their own and try to stay out of trouble, or just keep it on one and take shifts watching over the decrypt.

Good point on having multiple copies. Is the file small enough to zip on to a thumb drive?
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-05 18:10:40
Yeah, you could split it up, but there will be a period of time where Max has to figure out what type of magical technobabbley Independence-Day-mockery-of-realistic-computing he's going to use to run the decryption. So, Max needs some time before bed to program/configure the decryption suite, then you can let it run on Max and Davis' lappies while you sleep, and check on it after you're rested. Or set an alarm so it'll wake you.
punkey 2007-11-05 18:52:50
I like that plan, but instead of leaving the laptops unguarded, I think that whoever's awake watch them and make sure no one messes with them or sneaks a peek they're not supposed to.