Jade Imperium OOC 5

fanchergw 2007-11-05 19:04:18
Semo will sleep in the cargo bay, since that's where his work is. Let those soft officer-types have the cushy beds... :wink:
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-05 19:25:38
I still need to know who (if anyone) will take the 3 bunks with the crew. Max and Semo/Taylor/Mellish are in the cargo bay. Angel's on watch, and given Punkey's last post Angel would probably also be in charge of computer security.

Arketta might not be a bad choice for crew quarters. She might pick up on some Imperial-only cue or something in case of trouble. But it depends on whether you trust her enough with her own kind. It may not be an issue anymore, I don't know.

Stanhill's infodump comes from his specialization in Tech->Systems Operation. As it turns out, that's what you need to operate mundane non-gunnery, non-piloting tasks onboard ship. Amusingly, Luis' d8 in Drive also makes him the best qualified to try piloting a ship if it comes down to that.
Gatac 2007-11-05 19:30:00
I'm gonna take one of the three crew quarters positions. You guys do your subterfuge in the bay, I'm gonna play target. :)

Gatac
e of pi 2007-11-05 20:47:04
I'll go with Hugh, and I agree Arketta is a good choice to finish off that trio. Infodump was useful, lots of good stuff to think about. Considering the data so far about Luis being the best for figuring this stuff out, should I have him start learning a Scottish brogue? :P

On a more serious note, how important is Yaris to the operation of the ship? I think the shipboy mentioned she's pretty important, but if things get dicey, is it possible to fly the sucker without anybody jacked in? Did Luis see any sign of manual controls on the bridge, some kind of joystick or control yokes or something?
Dieter 2007-11-05 20:50:11
Gatac wrote:

I'm gonna take one of the three crew quarters positions. You guys do your subterfuge in the bay, I'm gonna play target. :)

Gatac

That's a good idea. A benign distraction while the actual treachery is afoot. :idea:
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-05 20:55:11
Brogue is optional. :) Remember, it's not that you can do it like operating a normal naval radar station or position on an Earth submarine, but you have the best chance of that becoming second nature.

Remember that at one point Yaris wasn't even on the crew. That would indicate that she may be important but she may not be vital to the ship's operation. The bridge controls appeared to be holographic in nature and slaved to Black's big central chair. You figure any sane spacecraft designer would put in as foolproof a backup as they could in case the fancy holographical joystick stops working, so there are probably manual, touchable controls to be found somewhere in that big holodeck they use for a cockpit.
e of pi 2007-11-06 19:59:30
admiralducksauce wrote:

Brogue is optional. :) Remember, it's not that you can do it like operating a normal naval radar station or position on an Earth submarine, but you have the best chance of that becoming second nature.

Remember that at one point Yaris wasn't even on the crew. That would indicate that she may be important but she may not be vital to the ship's operation. The bridge controls appeared to be holographic in nature and slaved to Black's big central chair. You figure any sane spacecraft designer would put in as foolproof a backup as they could in case the fancy holographical joystick stops working, so there are probably manual, touchable controls to be found somewhere in that big holodeck they use for a cockpit.

Good. Out of curiosity, what's the layout of what we have seen of the ship so far, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around everything.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-07 17:05:59
This is subject to change - I'm making it up as I go along. :)

akamu.jpg

As for what the interior looks like, spruce this up a bit with more gadgetry:

boat_tonijn_corridor.jpg
Dieter 2007-11-07 20:44:05
The Akamu and its crew have a bad habit of selling out their illegal passengers. I think we should prepare for the inevitable.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-08 02:52:53
In answer to Davis' question, Max has a d6 in Shoot. Depending on how MacGuyver-ish or rash you're getting with that AT-4, Max might also benefit from his "Jury-Rig" or "Man of Action" Aspects.

Remember these are the AT-4CS models, they use water to muffle the backblast. Don't know if that plays into your plan or not.
punkey 2007-11-08 05:23:08
Oh, nothing that elaborate. They'll penetrate the hull of the ship, right?

Edit: On second thought, a dead-man's switch shouldn't be that hard to rig up really quick.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-08 06:16:06
The AT-4s blow up the Turai mantaships, and while those were military craft, they were much smaller. Still, I'd say it's a fair bet it'd be bad for the ship if you popped off anti-tank weapons.

I believe the easiest deadman switch is to hold onto the spoon of a live grenade.
punkey 2007-11-08 06:26:57
Yeah, but a grenade won't blow a hole in the ship, and they could just pop the guy with the grenade and take cover. No, we need to have some way of rigging an AT4 with a removable deadman trigger and then tie it to something so that even if the person gets dropped, the weapon's still pointed at the hull.
Gatac 2007-11-08 06:52:13
Does the log contain navigational data on those shadowports, or does it just mention their names?

Gatac
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-08 13:54:03
It contains the space-Gate codes Akamu broadcast to get to the systems containing those shadowports, but does not include the actual locations of the ports within those systems.

You have Zip codes, not street addresses.

Actually, you have the Gate codes for every system the ship has visited in the last year or so. They're all space Gates of course, but that's a ton more info than you had 5 minutes previously.

When it comes to rigging an AT-4 with a deadman, Luis is your best bet. Max is your second choice. I don't know the vagaries of actual demolitions work, but you're not impeded by any unreasonable lack of equipment so lay out how you want it to work and I'll estimate a difficulty for the roll.
Dieter 2007-11-08 15:57:58
Punkey wrote:

Yeah, but a grenade won't blow a hole in the ship, and they could just pop the guy with the grenade and take cover. No, we need to have some way of rigging an AT4 with a removable deadman trigger and then tie it to something so that even if the person gets dropped, the weapon's still pointed at the hull.

I think Max could build an improvised shaped-charge using the grenade as a catalyst.
Gatac 2007-11-08 16:07:02
On a completely different yet related note, we need to get us something like a Puddlejumper - small ship, capable of atmospheric and exoatmospheric travel, fits through standard Gateway.

All the convenience of using the space-based Gateways without the threat of Imperial needleships finding out the address of a hypothetical orbital Gateway around Earth.

Gatac
punkey 2007-11-08 17:51:05
Actually, that'd be great. Put one or two of those throughout the ship.
e of pi 2007-11-08 19:48:15
If it's explosives, it's probably more Luis' alley. He might also be able to rig a remote detonator, so that we could just hook it to the hull and leave it, something so that all we'd have to do to activate it would be hit an arming switch on the remote and then press the big red button. Since it seems prudent: what exactly is in the demolitions kit? Any chance there's already an off-the-shelf version of what we need?
e of pi 2007-11-08 19:51:57
Gatac wrote:

On a completely different yet related note, we need to get us something like a Puddlejumper - small ship, capable of atmospheric and exoatmospheric travel, fits through standard Gateway.

All the convenience of using the space-based Gateways without the threat of Imperial needleships finding out the address of a hypothetical orbital Gateway around Earth.

Gatac

That's a pretty good sugestion, if a bit more home front. I we can. we should get ahold of the schematics of a ship's drive systems, the repair manual, the encyclopedia entry for "FTL drive," whatever. Actually, now that I think about it, it might be possible to hack that out of the Akuma's computers. The "how to operate and mantain your new ship!" file ought to be easier to hack than the hidden secret logs.