Jade Imperium - OOC 8

e of pi 2008-04-26 17:53:55
admiralducksauce wrote:

The Turai guarding the control room have not technically spotted Max. I don't know what your plan is, but I left sneaky in there as a possible option.

Where are you going to park the Body Snatcher? There's not room for two under the Morningstar's overhang. You're either close but visible from the air, or far away (a couple miles) but hidden. Covering up spaceships is still pretty hard even when they're smaller.

I think hidden is better, though without the warsled we'll have to hump anything we need to move by hand. We also need to figure out how we're going to get the Body Snatcher off-grid so that when we set her down and stay a while (longer than any prior stop) it doesn't raise suspicion.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2008-04-26 18:01:06
Right. You've been allowed in the air because you've been responding to those pings the mantas and whatnot have been sending when they see you. When your last known location is "in a canyon somewhere", they'll investigate even if it's just crash rescue or something. Which means even if you hide the ship, those are extra chances the bad guys have to spot the Morningstar as well because you'll have to be within reasonable walking distance.

Hiding might not be the best option for an extended stay. Of course, an extended stay might not be the best option period. Parking close but in (relatively) plain sight (it IS a canyon, not a prairie) would require you to have a really good story to tell the Imps.
Gatac 2008-04-26 18:12:07
"Yeah, our navigational system just shat itself. Nothing serious, but we'll take a few minutes to land and check it out."

Then we land in the canyon next to a cave, unload our team and a resistance leader in what looks like a tactical insertion. Lie within a lie...make it look like we've found something but aren't willing to share quite yet. Our guys hide in the cave, our resistance buddies wait a few minutes (enough time to plausibly run some low-level tests on the systems), then jet off towards a "parking spot" (I assume they know how to blend in well enough in the city of Aikoro). If the turai keep watch, they won't see us come out, but that could mean the cave is deep or we're setting up an ambush. Actually, we grab some sleep, wait a few hours, then we walk to the Morningstar. I presume the canyon gives us enough cover to move without being detected unless an Imperial ship is like, right on top of the canyon.

No comm traffic. Also avoids the sled issue.

What do you guys think?

Gatac
punkey 2008-04-26 19:58:51
Bad idea. If it isn't what it seems to be, they'll get curious and investigate. Also, Davis has a lot of questions for both Onos and Jon. Best option is to go out, circle back around after a while, flash a heading and distance in Morse code, then stop somewhere visible for the night under the cover of stopping the search for rest. Davis knows how to move through terrain under aerial observation, so he should be able to reach the ship. They'll have eyes on us every so often, and since we've lost the sled, it'll be hard to move about with any kind of speed, but hopefully whatever plan we've worked out doesn't require any more back-and-forth movement between the ships.
Gatac 2008-04-26 20:08:59
I contemplated something like this, but I'm quite concerned over "stopping for rest" in the wilderness. That seems to me to be quite conspicuous if you have a crew rotation and (presumably) a parking spot in Aikoro.

Gatac
punkey 2008-04-26 20:48:27
Aside from the fact that the Body Snatcher is too small to have a crew rotation, I don't really care where we stop. I was just putting that out there as an option. My main concern is arousing the suspicion of the Turai right now by lying to them.

Putting aside this argument for now, I think Max might actually make it. If it isn't too much trouble, if he could start a riot on the way out without getting caught, something to get the Turai's attention away from the search and towards containing the massive explosion of rioting, that would be great. :)
fanchergw 2008-04-28 02:26:54
Thanks to everyone for the good wishes!
ADS wrote:

I still can't believe you had an interview that lasted all day. Did they jump around to everyone at the company or what?

I basically sat in a small conference room and had people from related jobs come through one at a time to talk with me for 30-45 minutes. Also got taken out to lunch by a couple of the same group; it was supposed to be 4 of them, but 2 dropped out due to meetings and whatnot. The problem with being taken to lunch, of course, is that you're "on inspection" the whole time, even if you're not being grilled while you eat.
e wrote:

Congrats! As a high-schooler to whom earning $250 a week is a well-paying job, the idea of a $15-20,000 increase in yearly pay would get me to do just about anything short of actual criminal activity.

20 years experience does have it's benefits. Of course, the downside is being old. :lol:
punkey 2008-04-28 16:26:04
Now, to slide the issue of location back in for a second, I think the best idea is somewhere further up or down the canyon a mile or so, somewhere that's clearly visible to overhead surveillance. If they ask what we're doing, we say we're setting down to figure out a better location where to search. Staying in the canyon gives Davis and whoever else is walking with him some cover from overhead, but it also allows the people in the ship to see whoever's setting down to watch them.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2008-05-09 20:05:06
I will have an update for tomorrow. Before that, if anyone's checking in, could I get a unified plan from the Body Snatcher and an update for what Max is doing?
Dieter 2008-05-09 21:08:02
Max will be looking like he should be there. He'll try the keypad with some random numbers, look agitated, then politely ask the guards if they would be so kind as to buzz me in.

"Man, this is what...the fifth time they changed the code in the past week. It's not like anyone would be dumb enough to try and do anything."
Gatac 2008-05-10 07:47:53
Radio out that we're calling it a day, landing about two klicks out from the Morningstar in the canyon. If we have turai overhead watching, we don't move. If we don't or they go away, we go play dress-up to disguise a little bit, then start walking. If they come in on the way, we say we're sweeping the area on foot and could you kindly leave us to our work, you're spooking our prey. Biggest danger I can see is them suspecting us and tailing, but we should notice overhead pursuers, and I propose that if we find any caves along the way, we sweep them. Do the rebels have a method to detect stealth suits? If yes, we'll use that on those occasions, just on the off chance that a stealthed turai or apprehender is following us.

Gatac
e of pi 2008-05-13 05:08:40
Is Luis the only one who can fly the Body Snatcher? If so, I have sort of an OOC question that relates to the crazy-paranoid Imperium problem: will they be investigating us? Can we check the logs to make this look like the other times this ship's crew has done it, so Luis won't have to be here to fly the ship out of yet another "oh-shit-they-found-us-again-we-gotta-escape-and-go-to-ground-again" situation?

As a player, I don't want to have to go through that again. However, if it's gonna happen at this point, Luis is the only person (at least of the PCs on the scene) who would be able to pull that off. I don't know what skills the rebels have, but it'd be nice if one of them could hold the fort so Luis could go with Hugh.
fanchergw 2008-05-15 18:25:44
I'm really confused here. I understood the card game to be in the quarters area, rather than the cargo bay. If it's in the cargo bay, how the hell did Max drive off with the grav sled without Semo seeing him?
Gatac 2008-05-15 18:39:45
Oh, my bad. I'll edit my post so it doesn't imply that Semo's in the cargo bay.

Gatac
Dieter 2008-05-16 16:03:05
What does Max see in the control room? Is there enough recognizable controls that Max could conceivably take over if the Operator were to say...have an unfortunate run-in with a Stinger at close range?
Dieter 2008-05-16 21:52:16
admiralducksauce wrote:

You're an action scientist with Quick Learner. I'd say your chances are pretty good.

So, since it's been a while. What would the procedure be for me to activate the Gate and me to go through it?
Admiral Duck Sauce 2008-05-16 22:13:18
1. Deal with the technicians in the Gate control room (where you are now), plus the (at least) two Turai standing guard outside if need be.

2. Make some Computers rolls to undo the lockdown on the Gate.

3. Once that's done, you can dial a portal either from the Gate Control Room or manually, using the glyphs on the Gateway itself. If you dial from the GCR, it would be fairly easy for someone to 1) figure out that's where the shenanigans are happening and 2) push the big red shutdown glyph on the Gate before sending troops to blow bits off of you. If you dial directly using the Gate, you have to make sure they can't override you from the GCR plus you have to take the time to activate Gate glyphs on a 15-foot wide donut while quite possibly coming under fire.
e of pi 2008-05-17 00:45:43
And do try and find a way to make sure they can't record your authorization code.