CAMPAIGN COMMENTS II - Twice the bitching, half the calories

Dieter 2005-06-09 19:49:37
Quote:

Quote: from fanchergw on 1:35 pm on June 9, 2005
I guess what I'm getting at is: in my opinion, scarier threats make for a more fun game and pushovers get boring really fast. Of course, other players may see it differently.

A few reasons why the PC deathcount isn't very high.

1) d20 system characters, especially high-level ones are a pain in the ass to create. If you want a decent a character, you're going to spend upwards of 2 hours plotting them out.

2) I don't like killing PCs although its not due to a lack of trying. Emminent danger with the risk of death at any moment is great, but the fact that a well-trained spy can tapdance his/her way in/out of trouble is the hallmark of the James Bond-style genre Spycraft was designed to be. Every character (save for Moten) got chewed up pretty bad. Everyone was down to their last bits of strength, luck, and hit points.

3) ADS knows my game style. We read from the same GM's book, so there is an inherant element of anticipating eachother's next moves. Frankly, it's fun to see if we can outfox eachother.
Dieter 2005-06-17 20:08:48
Bear with me on this.

After alot of deliberation, the new Spycraft game that I'll be running when the current plotline ends (sometime around 2018) will be using the Savage World rules system. Bookkeeping is the main reason for this. It's fine if you have everything layed out in front of you with players ready to respond, but going back/forth between IC/OOC/CharSheet screens is (at times) a complete pain in the ass. In lieu of that and the fact that my freetime is slowly diminishing, I have to move to an easier system.

I know I'll probably lose a player or two because of the system switch, but I can't keep up with it anymore.

Questions/Comments?
Gatac 2005-06-17 20:14:02
I suppose that's my cue.

Yes, I dislike Savage Worlds. Yes, I love Spycraft. But honestly, when we're done with this, I suppose we'll have a completely new storyline with new characters. In that case, I'm cool with using SW. I just don't want to try and port stuff over.

Gatac
Dieter 2005-06-17 20:21:24
Quote:

Quote: from Gatac on 2:14 pm on June 17, 2005
I suppose that's my cue.

Yes, I dislike Savage Worlds. Yes, I love Spycraft. But honestly, when we're done with this, I suppose we'll have a completely new storyline with new characters. In that case, I'm cool with using SW. I just don't want to try and port stuff over.

Gatac

No porting. We'll keep using Spycraft d20 rules until we're finished with the current campaign. After that, it's Savage Worlds.
Gatac 2005-06-17 21:00:12
Then I shall follow the flock, so to speak. Some teethgrinding, but no shouting and dragging.

Gatac
CrazyIvan 2005-06-17 22:56:59
Pity, but understandable.

d20 is designed for face-to-face, where players can do their own book keeping.
Dieter 2005-06-18 02:39:46
Quote:

Quote: from CrazyIvan on 4:56 pm on June 17, 2005
Pity, but understandable.

d20 is designed for face-to-face, where players can do their own book keeping.

Indeed. And as much as I'd like to have all you guys over every week for a game, I don't think that's going to happen. ;)
fanchergw 2005-06-18 03:54:10
Quote:

Quote: from Dieter on 5:39 pm on June 17, 2005
Indeed. And as much as I'd like to have all you guys over every week for a game, I don't think that's going to happen. ;)

I don't know... That depends on whether you can afford the airfare to fly me out there or not... ;)
Dieter 2005-06-18 04:49:15
If I win tomorrow night's Powerball Lottery (~$40 million) we'll all have a giant game/kegger at my house. :)
Dieter 2005-06-21 14:38:01
So, the finale of this edition of Sns is coming up. What's next? Good question.

I've been tooling around with a few ideas but all of them keep revolving something involving Las Vegas and Los Angeles. The only thing I know for certain is that Russia/Russians will not be involved in any way shape or form. Europe and Central Asia has been beaten to death. I almost want to do a Miami Vice-style scenario involving Cartels and cigarette boats.

Comments/Questions/Suggestions?
Dieter 2005-06-21 15:42:22
Columbians with chainsaws...heh.

I have to go through the Latin American filmography.

- Proof of Life
- Man on Fire
- Romancing the Stone
- The Rundown
- Scarface
- Desperado
- Once Upon a Time in Mexico

Oooh. Christopher Walken as the antagonist...with a chainsaw...and a pet jaguar named Lola.
Dieter 2005-06-21 18:44:28
Quote:

Quote: from Threadbare on 12:37 pm on June 21, 2005
Don't forget Predator.

"They skinned them? Why did they skin them?"
Gatac 2005-06-21 18:48:27
This is even more fun when you consider that the Dark Inheritance "First Team" mercenary organisation is based in South America. I can definately see us going for something like that.

"We're the First Team. Who's second? Who cares?"

Gatac
Dieter 2005-06-21 19:04:50
I can tell you that whatever is decided upon, the operation is going to be a bare bones, keep-what-you-kill sort of thing. You want a nice car for the team? Steal it or find the money to buy one on the black market. You'll be starting out with two late model Jeep Wranglers, a few crates of ammunition, and the guns you brought. That's not to say you won't later have access to cooler stuff, it's just that you're not starting out with the money or resources.

One mission you could be on the hunt for Badguy X and the next you might just be working for him/her. The best part is that you will finally have Zero Accountability for your actions.

No Suits, No Service, No Agency...no problem.
punkey 2005-06-21 22:23:49
I think the Asian Pacific Rim would be the best choice. It's a hotspot that every major player on the global scene has a big interest in, is a mix of both cutting-edge high tech and the bottom of the low-tech ladder, is an epicenter for terrorism and national conflict, one of the few places on Earth with a rogue nuclear power that's crazy enough to use them, and has one of the largest disaster areas on the planet, thanks to one very large wave.

We can be low-tech and still go up against the high tech baddies. We just have to be smart about it and occasionally get jobs with people who have the cool toys that we can "borrow".