CAMPAIGN COMMENTS II - Twice the bitching, half the calories

Dieter 2005-06-29 19:24:53
Quote:

Quote: from fanchergw on 12:45 pm on June 29, 2005
I just want to clarify whether I'm understanding things right or am totally confused:

Soon, when the players are all available, the existing characters will have another campaign arc (using the Spycraft rules) that should rap up the campaign with a big bang. This will probably be set in (Asia?).

Sometime in the (distant?) future, after the existing campaign has concluded, there will be a new campaign with new characters. This campaign will use the Savage Worlds rules and be set in Las Vegas.

Lemme clarify.

1- There's the current Spycraft game (Artis, Jess, crazy Russians, etc.) which will be wrapping up at some point this summer. This will mostly depend on getting everyone to be active for about a week or so.

2- Once #1 is done, my involvement in running a d20 Spycraft game online will end for the forseeable future. It's been alot of fun but I can't spend 30 minutes resolving combat that would take 5 minutes using SW rules. The existing characters will be shelved and encased in glass for posterity.

3- I really have no timetable for when #1 is going to end yet I don't like waiting around letting my creative juices stagnate. This is where Savaged Spycraft steps up.

4- Savage Spycraft is in the preliminary stages of development right now. Hell, Gatac already has a character concept posted. Anyone who wants to play can with the philosophy that if you're not very active (i.e. can post at least once/twice day), you're being relegated to less important tasks.

5- I'll be petitioning ADS for a new thread heading that will be used instead on SnS. It'll be less confusing in the long run.

Ok? Feel free to ask more questions as the transition from d20 to SW will probably be kinda messy.
fanchergw 2005-06-29 21:04:01
Since it looks like Savage Mercs is going to be starting up sooner than I thought, I'll start working on a character concept. Having read through the Wiki section, it sounds like these will tend to be not-nice people; Jileeza and Ilyana would fit right in. ;)

Having run those two femme fatales lately, I probably won't do so again immediately. One idea I have is for the traditional washed-up prizefighter. Of course, that's been done so many times, I may have to find some way to spice it up.

Some kind of pretty-boy to act as the "face" might be an option, too.

Who knows, maybe something clever will hit me. Miracles can happen, right?
Dieter 2005-06-29 21:13:04
Quote:

Quote: from fanchergw on 3:04 pm on June 29, 2005
Since it looks like Savage Mercs is going to be starting up sooner than I thought, I'll start working on a character concept. Having read through the Wiki section, it sounds like these will tend to be not-nice people; Jileeza and Ilyana would fit right in. ;)

Having run those two femme fatales lately, I probably won't do so again immediately. One idea I have is for the traditional washed-up prizefighter. Of course, that's been done so many times, I may have to find some way to spice it up.

Some kind of pretty-boy to act as the "face" might be an option, too.

Who knows, maybe something clever will hit me. Miracles can happen, right?

I like the washed-up prizefighter. They're all over the place in Vegas. It's a good cover for otherwise nefarious activities. You'll also be juiced into the system. Bruce Willis' character from Pulp Fiction would be along those lines.
fanchergw 2005-06-29 22:50:09
Quote:

I like the washed-up prizefighter. They're all over the place in Vegas. It's a good cover for otherwise nefarious activities. You'll also be juiced into the system. Bruce Willis' character from Pulp Fiction would be along those lines.

Perhaps I could juice up the idea a little by switching from the boxing circuit to the "ultimate fighting" or "underground combat tournament" thing. Something along the lines of what is seen in Unleashed or that one Van Damme movie (Lion Heart?).

Gordon
Dieter 2005-06-29 22:57:10
UFC is big business in Vegas and it would really toughen up you character.

Take hindrances like:

-Bloodthirsty
-Mean

He's the guy with the reputation of killing his opponents in the ring "by accident".
threadbare 2005-06-30 00:03:45
I hereby cede my preferential seating to gordon. He deserves it more than me.
Dieter 2005-06-30 14:48:57
Quote:

Quote: from Threadbare on 6:03 pm on June 29, 2005
I hereby cede my preferential seating to gordon. He deserves it more than me.

Thanks. TB.

Gordon, looks you're in.
fanchergw 2005-06-30 17:14:10
Indeed! Thanks, TB! Guess Dieter may not have to run multiple groups after all. I'm sure he'll appreciate having less coordinating to do.
fanchergw 2005-07-02 04:12:58
Dieter, looks like ADS had been movin' shit around again. The link to the Modern Weapons zip file on the Mercs wiki page is dead.
fanchergw 2005-07-02 05:55:24
Name: Frank “Hardcase” Harcassa - (20 XP)
Schtick: Retired extreme fighter
Race: Human (free Edge) Age: 37
Height: 6' 1" Weight: 205 lbs
Hair: Bald Eyes: Hazel

ATTRIBUTES
Agility d8 – [hindrance]
Smarts d4
Spirit d6
Strength d8 – [10 xp]
Vigor d8

Charisma 0 / -4
Pace 6”
Parry 6
Toughness 8

HINDRANCES
Bloodthirsty (Major)
Enemy (Minor) – former opponents / backers, low priority
Poverty (Minor)
Vengeful (Major) – no points

EDGES
Berserk (Smarts roll if wounded or: +2 Fighting, Strength & Toughness, -2 Parry) – [hindrance]
Brawny (+1 Toughness) – [free]
Nerves of Steel (ignore 1 point of Wound penalties) – [15 xp]
Two-Fisted (attack w/ each hand with no MAP) – [5 xp]
Unarmed Combat (+1 to unarmed Strength damage or attempts to Grapple or Disarm) – [20 xp]

SKILLS
Driving d4
Fighting d8
Gambling d4
Guts d6
Intimidate d6
Notice d4
Repair d4
Shooting d4
Streetwise d6

GEAR [Encumbrance 0]
Colt 1911 .45 cal pistol (2d6+1, AP 1, 12/24/48, ROF 1, 7 Shots, $200, 4#)
Box of .45 cal. shells (50 Rounds, $25, 5#)
Cash ($25)

Background

Frank Harcassa has always been a bastard, literally and figuratively. Maybe she’d seen Officer and a Gentleman too many times, but his mother dated heavily among the men at the nearby military base. So much, that after a while she could hardly tell them apart. No surprise that when she ended up pregnant, she had no idea who the father was. Not interested in raising a kid on her own, she sent Frank to be raised by relatives in Los Angeles.

Unfortunately, those relatives lived in one of the many tough neighborhoods of LA. Nor were they much more interested in him than his mother had been. Frank learned to be hard and to fight dirty at an early age. By ten, he was extorting money from other kids. By fourteen, he was committing crimes with a neighborhood gang. Three years later, he killed his first victim.

Even worse, Frank soon realized that he liked hurting people. Hurting and killing people gave him a thrill that few other things could match.

At the age of twenty-three, he was arrested for armed robbery and put away. Frank spent 11 years in the big house, and it did nothing to curb his violent tendencies. It did however, teach him a lot about fighting.

Upon release, Frank took his money and headed for Vegas. Not surprisingly, he spent and gambled it away fairly quickly. He started pulling small jobs around town, then stumbled upon an underground fight ring. Over the next year, he slowly rose through the ranks of fighters, “accidently” killing a few opponents along the way just for the thrill of it.

It wasn’t long before he moved into the upper circles of the extreme fighting world. This was the life! Frank had all the women he could screw and all the coke he could snort. All he had to do was fight someone every couple of weeks. Fortunately, he survived all of his matches, even those few that he lost. He wasn’t the most skilled fighter in the circuit, but he was one of the toughest.

A life like that takes a hell of a toll on a person’s body, though. After a while, it became apparent that he was starting to lose his edge to the younger fighters. Following a particularly unpleasant loss, Frank found an opportunity to get out and he took it. Of course, this meant leaving behind all of the fine things he had grown used to.

Out of money and a job, but with one hell of a reputation, he was soon approached by certain people with an offer of work. They could keep him in work, as long as he didn’t ask too many questions and didn’t mind using his talents to solve other people’s problems. As long as it involves the opportunity to hurt people, Frank is happy to do what they ask, which seems to please his employers immensely. They provide him a place to live and an occasional chance to experience the good life and he’s content.

Frank is big and burly. He was rather attractive when he was young, but his choice of lifestyle has changed that. Now he’s just a man, with little to show for the rigors of his life but a few choice scars, a spartan room and a beat-up car.

Over the years, he’s made some enemies in the fighting world, but few of them care enough to make even a half-hearted attempt to find for him. Of course, in the business he’s in, he’s bound to run into one of them eventually. If he doesn’t die first…

(Edited by fanchergw at 9:01 pm on July 1, 2005)

(Edited by fanchergw at 9:33 am on July 5, 2005)
Dieter 2005-07-05 02:41:04
Quote:

Quote: from fanchergw on 10:12 pm on July 1, 2005
Dieter, looks like ADS had been movin' shit around again. The link to the Modern Weapons zip file on the Mercs wiki page is dead.

Hmm. Adam, care to 'splain? ;)
Dieter 2005-07-05 16:09:58
All better. I figured out that the spaces in the filename were causing the problem.
Dieter 2005-07-05 17:00:04
Gordon,

Out of curiosity, why did you include .22 cal bullets in your items inventory?
fanchergw 2005-07-05 18:32:52
Dieter, I was playing around with different weapon options and didn't get the final ammo synced properly with the final gun. My bad. I'll edit.
Dieter 2005-07-06 18:52:55
Ah. I see. I've already got a good set-up for your character.
fanchergw 2005-07-06 20:51:10
Quote:

Quote: from Dieter on 9:52 am on July 6, 2005
Ah. I see. I've already got a good set-up for your character.

That's cool. I'll look forward to seeing what variety of tree you put him up, how you light it on fire, and what kind of vicious wild animals you surround the tree with...

BTW, the gun and ammo is kind of a secondary issue anyway, since he usually uses his fists. The pistol is pretty much for emergencies... like people shooting at him. ;)
Dieter 2005-07-06 21:39:27
On that note, I should remind everyone that the setting is Las Vegas, not the barren wastelands of Russia. Shootings and other violent crimes -will- be investigated. Although that doesn't mean that CSI Grissom & Co. will be combing through grains of sand looking for the most minuscule of murder clues. Real detective work is much less expeditious in its findings and analysis.

Although if you're dumb enough to leave spent shell casings in the middle of a parking lot and your prints on the victim you're much more likely to have the Clark County Sheriff's Dept. and the LVPD knocking on your door. ;)
Gatac 2005-07-06 21:50:50
*hugs his Paladin Press Hitman How-to*

You mean we're rolling with, like, silenced .22s? Running files through barrels to screw up ballistic profiling?

In short, being subtle?

Woah.

Gatac
CrazyIvan 2005-07-06 22:23:19
Do we need a techie or the like? Wet science...bio/chem and the like, rather than explosives and circuit boards, would be spiffy.