Jade Imperium - OOC 11

Admiral Duck Sauce 2010-01-15 23:57:24
Done and done! You've dealt grievous damage - but remember, mantas are the Imperium's tanks. Another hit like that, though, and they will be going down.
skullandscythe 2010-01-19 01:02:09
I'm all for landing the ship and checking the downed craft for survivors, possibly even wiping out the ones who can still stand before they disappear into the underbrush. Besides, we might be able to patch the hull up with the remains of the enemy manta.
e of pi 2010-01-19 08:20:53
Our Manta's done its job. It's gotten us into atmo, and we still have the power and nav to get to where we want to go. This ship may never leave atmo again, definitely not without extensive repairs, but we can get where we were originally going. I'd put getting where we're going and getting dug in properly to be higher priority than finishing off the other guys.
punkey 2010-01-19 09:19:41
I say we go to the crash site, scan for Whiirr nearby and check the crash site for survivors. Take prisoners and kill bad guys as necessary and scav for spare parts and equipment. If we get shot at, add sunballs as necessary. :) I'm good either way, though.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2010-01-19 15:54:25
Well, I'll make some rolls for Luis and Zaef scanning from where your current position, and you guys can decide whether to get a closer look/land/scavenge/irradiate survivors or proceed with the mission based on that.
Dieter 2010-01-19 18:52:44
Punkey wrote:

I say we go to the crash site, scan for Whiirr nearby and check the crash site for survivors. Take prisoners and kill bad guys as necessary and scav for spare parts and equipment. If we get shot at, add sunballs as necessary. :) I'm good either way, though.

Ditto.
Gatac 2010-01-19 19:14:30
I'm pretty concerned about reinforcements. If we go after the crashed manta in ours, then that puts us right where the Imperium would send a rescue team, especially if we take the time to land and scavenge shit. On the other hand, this is a great time to fade, land somewhere far from the crash site and go dark, since the Imperial forces will be busy rescueing their guys.

I will not deny that we could win big if we vape the enemy manta before they have a chance to get away and make more trouble for us, but it is a gamble.

I guess Hugh would be cautiously for it in a "head off future trouble with those guys at the pass" kinda way, but we definitely need to be ready for a quick getaway if we do it.
skullandscythe 2010-01-19 21:16:32
As I understand it, these guys are the only ones who know that we're partially responsible for the attack on the station,and thus up to no good. If they live, they might let the planetside garrison know to look out for us(or they might've already, but there's jack we can do about it). Working without any Imperial knowledge of our operation would help us out a lot, especially while we're waiting for the gate to be forged.

However, we don't need secrecy to operate here, it's just optimal. It would be best to kill these guys to make sure they haven't spread the word, but like Gatac and E are saying, our mission comes first, and if the Imperials come, we need to get the hell out of Dodge. If we're going to stick around and clean up(as I believe we are, unless someone wants to correct me), we need to be ready to leave at any time.

My plan: we keep the manta afloat and ready to go, although we might lower altitude to avoid detection, and drop some guys off to waste the survivors and investigate the wreckage. Since the Mantas are essentially an Imperial APC with guns, I'm assuming they're equipped to deploy troops while hovering. Barring that, we could use the manta's weapons to wipe them out and be done with it, but I'm worried that any of the manta's weapons might light up the radar, letting everyone and their walking carpets know we're on ur planetz, killin ur d00ds. I'm assuming we haven't been made yet, and would prefer not to do anything that might change that.
punkey 2010-01-19 21:52:20
There's no radar, or any enemies left to worry about, all we've got is the other Imperials that made it off the station, the research site, and our two little buddies there. I say we hover on over, use the pulse cannon and light 'em up. Take out the guy first, since he's the one in better shape.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2010-01-19 22:00:18
You've been flinging around particle beams and explosives for the past few minutes. Zaef, who has the appropriate Aspects to know this stuff, knows that your battle took place well beyond audible range of the Imperial research site. A quick calculation proves that the end of the dogfight, with the explosions and smoke trails and fire happened so far away from the research site that it was obscured by the curvature of Whiirr itself.

Of course, the other manta most likely had voxes and if any of the handful of mantas who made it out of the orbital have trained pilots, they might try to organize a search and rescue.
Dieter 2010-01-19 22:07:35
Light the fuckers up while they're in range/sight.

No sense in sending ground units and have them get injured/killed if we have the capability of air-ground attack. We'll have plenty of other opportunities to get ourselves KIA.
punkey 2010-01-19 22:13:53
Well, then we'd better take them out before they get into cover. Light them up from the air, and then drop a squad down to double-check.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2010-01-19 22:27:48
So far it seems E has the strongest vote against capping the manta survivors (in favor of a quick and stealthy escape), with everyone either being for or at least not against capping.
e of pi 2010-01-19 23:45:17
I'm in the "not against it" column after getting the additional data. Not exactly in favor of it, and I'd like to get this over fast, but not against doing something to finish this threat.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2010-01-20 04:04:35
I do have to retcon the distance to the Wherren village - it'll be 30 miles rather than 70, but my initial ruling about your fight being visually and aurally concealed from the research site will stand.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2010-01-20 07:20:02
A spear-bomb is not as good as an AT-4, but enough of them hit to take the manta to 7 Wounds received and its Speed down to zero. You're going down but Zaef's Pilot check maxed out. The crashers are still powered and are going to ensure everyone walks away and the mission-critical gear is safe.

Luis was rolling 4d10, take lowest (multiple targets, smaller target than his weapon type can normally fire at), and he still scored a ridiculous hit. He also got near-misses (enough to deal personal-scale damage) on 2 of them.

Semo dealt 9 Wounds to the big dude on the riverbank.

I know it seems small compensation for losing the manta, but as strange as it may sound now, you guys came out ahead.
Dieter 2010-01-20 23:50:33
Ok, so for and intents and purposes...the Manta is fragged beyond repair...correct?

If that's the case, we're leaving anyone who finds the Manta (namely Imperium) a nice little explosive gift. A well-placed Claymore should suffice. It's the least we can do for them since they did us the favor of crashing us on the planet.

Cowboy will reconnoiter the situation immediately around the crash site then do any necessary heavy lifting to expedite our scene exit.
Gatac 2010-01-20 23:58:31
Leaving claymores was our first thought, but why endanger Chewie scavengers when we can just rig the remaining killdrones to blow the whole thing up? :)