OOC: Shaked, Not Stirred II - Brilliant! So now we got a Hug

Dieter 2002-06-17 04:12:34
Yeah, something like that. There's too many different kinds of hats to ever be sure.
Dieter 2002-06-17 16:35:36
If anyone wants to take this as an experimental feat, that would be cool.

I'm only going to use it if I have everyone's consent. It's doesn't look that awful and the penalties are pretty steep.

PM me if you'd be interested. I'm think Gavin might have a use for it and I know ADS like the idea of called shots in game systems. ;)
Dieter 2002-06-17 17:55:40
Except this one - I sent you an email. :)

My basic problem with it comes down to the fact that it assumes that Vitality Point loss means that you've actually been struck, while both the Spycraft and Star Wars books make it clear (to me, anyway) that it's not the case. It CAN mean you've been hit, but it's not necessarily true.
Dieter 2002-06-17 18:04:06
Read your message, good points.

I think perhaps we could tone down the damage. Maybe 1d4 for non-lethal areas and 1d6 for lethal.

We could also up the prerequisties for it. You would need Point-Blank Shot, Precise Shot and a BAB of say...+6?

Food for thought. It would seem to me that low-level characters wouldn't/shouldn't get be able to get this ability.
Dieter 2002-06-17 18:27:54
I think that perhaps the "called shot" thing shouldn't be ONLY available to people with the feat. Most feats, from what I've seen, reduce penalties or add bonuses, or supplement existing actions that ANYONE can attempt. Having the feat just makes it easier.

For example:
Anyone can pick up two guns and start shooting, but someone with Two-Weapon Fighting and Ambidexterity is going to do a lot better all other things being equal.

Anyone with Mechanics can try to hotwire a car, but if you have Instant Hotwire it happens faster.

If you can only make called shots with the Called Shots feat, it doesn't gel with the precedent that's been set.

If you/we want called shots, we need to come up with rules that apply for everyone, and then compensate for the penalties with feats, if so desired.
Dieter 2002-06-17 18:39:16
Hmm...perhaps we could work it as a "usable untrained" type of thing.

Do a called shot without the feat would have a heinous modifier to hit, but everyone could do it.

Without the feat, you'd have a -8 to hit for non-vital areas and a (ugh!) -12 to hit vitals. Sure, you have almost no chance in hell of plinking the guy in the eye, but it still gives you a chance.

When you add attack bonuses, the chance for a called shot increases dramatically. Also, called shots would be full-actions requiring complete concentration to do so. During a called shot, you cannot move more than your "5-ft step". This leaves you open for plenty of bad things to happen to you, but hopefully you'll be tucked away behind cover.

It's also fitting that the Soldier would have the best chance for called shots since that's what he/she's there for anyway. ;)

I still think the "extra" damage of 1d4/1d6 is probably the best way to go right now. If you have the feat(s), perhaps the scaling could go:

Called Shot: 1d6/1d8
Improved Called Shot: 1d8/1d10
Called Shot Mastery: 1d10/1d12
Dieter 2002-06-17 19:05:36
Another thing: :)

If you're getting damage bonuses on vital AND non-vital locations, where the hell are you hitting normally so as to "only" do normal damage? :) After our fiasco with the SMG gunmen, do we really need more feats to do extra damage?

Actually, I'm really confused by the whole thing. It's not the Called Shot feat's part. I like the Vitality Point idea and how you can have improved longevity without increasing the chance of completely missing (therefore running combat that could conceivably last forever) but still reduce what my brother calls "Slab of Meat Complex", also known as "I'm a Lead-Soaked Watermelon but I'm OK". Standard D&D falls prey to the Slab of Meat Complex.

Anyways, if it's not guaranteed that you're physically struck by Vitality Point loss, why would armor have any effect? Yet it does. I hope my conundrum is somewhat clear.
Dieter 2002-06-17 20:15:07
Hmm...good point.

Like I said, this is a work in progress. :)

Let's end the discussion here and I will open up a "Rules Only" thread so the OCC one doesn't get mired down.
Dieter 2002-06-17 20:24:51
I'd like Artis to make Listen/Spot checks, etc. If she agrees to call from the pay phone, I'm going to check the balcony by using a bathroom mirror and looking around without actually exposing myself. I don't want to end up like the Doctor.
Dieter 2002-06-17 20:38:04
BTW:

The terrace has a normal door that opens inward into the room. It is about 10ft long by 10ft. high and maybe 3ft wide, having a 4ft. wrought-iron railing running around the perimeter in a half-moon shape.
Dieter 2002-06-17 23:08:42
Hmm, let me see... I think I'll SHOOT THEM. :)

I'll use Speed Trigger to fire a burst from me .40 cal.
Dieter 2002-06-17 23:39:59
Is there any cover in the hotel room that would stop bullets and that I could get to? Barring that, how far is this ninja away from me? I'm almost feeling a repeat of my "toss the bad guy over a ledge" moment. :)

But I think I'm going to shoot the ninja again - two bursts if I can't get to cover and one burst + move to cover if I can.
Dieter 2002-06-18 02:47:58
Backpack contents:

-makeup kit
-various knives in different sizes
-duct tape
-handcuffs
-some dubious looking rubber and plastic *ahem* "objects.
-nylon climbing rope (50ft.)
-Small photo album (like the ones you find in wallets)

One of the photos is of the half-naked woman on the bed and the unfortunate lady whom Artis was involved with when he was "recruited" into The Agency. It appears that they bear a striking resemblence with one another.
threadbare 2002-06-18 10:08:14
Wow! Duct tape. Whatever you do, hold onto that.

Okay, looks like the hat lady isn't hostile or with a hidden agenda or something, as far as I can tell. Time to get the flirt on.
threadbare 2002-06-18 18:14:42
Oh, and she WILL be naked, if only long enough for me to check her underwear for hidden garrotes, razors, and/or submachineguns. She can have a towel or something, I don't care. She DID try to kill me, and my shoulder wound hurts.

Actually, better idea. We don't need anymore of her blood all over our hotel room. Into the tub with her. I'll attempt to bind her multiple GSWs as best I can.
Gatac 2002-06-18 18:39:16
Hint, you've got someone with practical First Aid experience on the team. Question is, do you want her to see that ? :)

Gatac