Jade Imperium OOC 5

e of pi 2007-11-19 04:51:24
admiralducksauce wrote:

Quote:

Yes, though Hugh might be the better. Possibly one with the other rolling to assist? (If that's even possible under the game mechanics).

It certainly is.

That's the prefered option there, then. A WD used might not be a bad addition, but that's more Gatac or Punkey's decision.
Quote:

Quote:

True, true. Still, I'm a bit uncomfortable with the idea of having to waste 1/3 of our total AT-4s and 1/2 the allocated units on the cables. Would a beam gun be able to do the job, if pulled quickly from one side of the cable to the other as the trigger is depressed?

Most probably not. :) Arketta or Swims (or hell, even Max) could tell you that. Also, they aren't beam rifles like a quick phaser squirt. They are technically particle beams - which aren't really "beams" at all. It's a single pulse. For visuals, thank God for Halo 3. The Covenant sniper laser thing is pretty much an exact match for what the effect is like.

Anyways, maybe your plan can just be to shoot, flip, and burn before the assault ship grapples you.

That's the plan if we're past the Needleship when they approach. If we're not...things could get dicey. If we could get away with it on the line of "ensuring a proper docking," I'd say fit the explosives to the grapple point, but otherwise, we may be stuck using up the first 2 AT-4s on the cable and the second two on the assault ship proper. We'll just have to see how things fall into place. Otherwise, I think this plan is as ready as it's going to get, barring major objections by others.
Dieter 2007-11-19 17:30:38
Is it safe to assume the bridge chairs are equipped like the crash chairs/sofas?
e of pi 2007-11-19 21:22:49
Just a quick modification to the message: scratch mentioning the undetectable weapons, and maybe just say the fighting is causing trouble with the controls themselves instead of the engines. That way, if the Harbringer can read power to the engines, we're not screwed. Or maybe just stick with the generic "engine trouble" instead of going into the specifics.
e of pi 2007-11-20 03:18:08
Punkey wrote:

Can we answer the phone from engineering?

Dunno. Additional thought: when whoever picks up does so, we should find a way to make it sound "crackly" or modulated, like it's a bad connection. Start in the middle of a sentence like "*crackle* hailing Golden Harbringer, repeat Akuma hailing Golden Harbringer, acknowledge your last but unable to comply. Main engines are nonfunctional, repeat non-functional. Please advise. Do you copy?" except substituting in the appropriate Imperium vox slang for Terran radio slang.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-20 04:04:31
If you're replying with laser transmission, it's more like morse code or a text message. You could send it from Engineering to Max's console out to the Needleship, I just need an IC post. :)
punkey 2007-11-20 08:14:22
I don't need acting lessons, I know how to sound panicked, thanks.

So no vox from engineering? Actually, have we replied via vox to them at all yet?
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-20 12:57:33
Max could roll to patch you in from Engineering. It might make it more believable. :) But no, neither you, Swims, or Yaris has/had replied via vox.
e of pi 2007-11-20 17:22:51
admiralducksauce wrote:

I believe this next part involves Semo and Angel in spacesuits firing AT-4s, yes?

Yeah, maybe with an NPC to hand them a fresh one when they fire the first volley. Also, where will we be in two minutes? Will we be past the Harbringer?
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-21 05:51:49
It comes down to initiative:

Angel
grappler drones
Semo

Your options for firing are as follows:

Semo is rolling 2d8 highest vs. a d8 range. It's not that the assault ship is hard to hit, the difficulty die reflects hitting the engines vs. hitting somewhere else on the ship that might not produce the result you're looking for.

Angel's rolling d12 and d8 highest vs. a d8 range.

Voluntarily allowing the grapplers to hit in order to aim will net another Shoot die - 2d12 + d8 for Angel or 3d8 for Semo.

You could fire at the grappler pods, the cables, or the drones themselves - it's the same chance to hit, it's the choice of grappler vs. engine shot that might prove vital here.

Between the cramped airlock and the AT-4's saltwater backblast-dampening charges, you can't squeeze in another shooter.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-21 15:39:51
Given Ivan's situation via Dieter's OOC thread for his game, Gordon, you can handle Angel like we've done before.

Ivan, obviously if you find time to post, you can retcon anything you might not agree with.
fanchergw 2007-11-21 19:12:55
admiralducksauce wrote:

I believe this next part involves Semo and Angel in spacesuits firing AT-4s, yes?

Actually, no one has told Semo what's going on, so he's a little in the dark at this point.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-11-24 15:07:40
I think the plan has been satisfactorily laid out to Semo now? Are he and Angel going to aim (allowing the grapplers to hit), fire on the engines as planned (blowing the grapplers if needed), or try to prevent a grappling and THEN try to hit the engines?
fanchergw 2007-11-25 23:04:15
Yeah, I think Semo is up to speed now. I recommend Aiming and shooting out the engines. Grapplers can be dealt with afterwards.
e of pi 2007-11-26 03:20:22
fanchergw wrote:

Yeah, I think Semo is up to speed now. I recommend Aiming and shooting out the engines. Grapplers can be dealt with afterwards.

I agree. We hit the grapplers first, they get warning to start moving around, making targeting the engines harder. Let them grapple us while we hit their engines, they have no warning before we put two into them, and then we can deal with the grapples on our own time, since they'll still be attatched and thus forced to be relatively motionless.
fanchergw 2007-11-26 19:30:43
If there's a possibility that they nabbed our coordinates, then that means they can track us. A second jump before any pursuit appears would put us beyond tracking range.

Just sayin'.
punkey 2007-11-26 19:35:35
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the orbital gates don't have a redial function, so they have to work off of the starfield seen through the gate for that brief instant. It's doable, but we'll be into the nebula by then, and I wish them the Devil's luck trying to find us in there.