Seven Devils

Admiral Duck Sauce 2015-12-24 07:40:02
"Verily, a fine hat," Toshiba replies, returning Okita's handshake. He extends his arms to take in the strange vessel, the weather, the location, and asks, "What bringest thou to these waters, and how didst thou acquire such a beast? The measure of a whale it has, yet it roars like some of the engines I have seen in mine travels."
Gatac 2016-01-01 15:13:09
Okita smirks. "If you feel yourself owed a tale, I am only too happy to oblige," he says. "Mayhap you wish to see the inside of our vessel, that we might speak in the dry?"

Well, who can object to speaking in the dry?

Okita begins to explain as he leads Toshiba onto the hull of the ship, then through the hatch into the belly of the metal beast. The inside is a cramped forest of pipes, valves and gauges, easily more metal in one place than Toshiba has seen in entire forges.

"This is what the foreigners call a Hochsee-Tauchboot - it had some name or another that I am told means 'devilfish', so that's what we're calling her. As you can tell, she bears neither sail nor oar - she's pushed about by screws, driven by this hellish contraption here, a pressure engine stirred by hot vapors, which in turn are generated by this boiler that heats up the water within."

O-kaaaay.

"The true marvel of it is that, with the close of the hatch above us, this ship becomes completely watertight, like a cask to be buried in a cold lake for preserves. Only this cask need not be weighted when it is put to water - instead, there are compartments between this inner hull and the outer cladding that are now full of air, but can be flooded on our command, eliminating buoyancy until the entire vessel sinks beneath the waves."

Toshiba waits patiently for Okita to explain why any sane man would consent to locking himself into a sinking ship.

"See, the previous ones, they had ballast," Okita says, "so they could dive once, release the ballast and then be light again to float back to the surface, but only once before they had to be outfitted again. With the tanks, we can use sea water to take on as much extra weight as we need to."

Yes, but - Toshiba thinks.

"- how does it surface again?" Okita says. "Now this is the true genius of it, and my hat - fine as it is - is off to the foreigners for such an idea." He taps an ungainly contraption of wheels and metal cylinders. "This, Oni, is what they call the Guericke device. The foreigners have found that if you squeeze air with great force, it compacts and can be kept under such force until it is needed - and when released, it expands again! Best of all, in doing so it applies the same force that was used to squeeze it to begin with, and with careful design, that is enough to push the water from the ballast tanks and thereby lighten the ship, such that it rises to the surface once more. In doing so, we can stay underwater for hours at a time, and dive and surface as we please as long as we give the Guericke device enough time between dives to squeeze air into its reservoir."

Okay, but -

"And I don't need to tell you that the steel crest over the bow makes for a fine battering ram," Okita says. "Or, for larger targets, we can carry explosive charges right to their hull and disappear without them ever suspecting a thing. I dare say that the Devilfish is a ship without a match, when she runs as intended."

"My questions, Okita," Toshiba finally says.

"Yes, yes," Okita says. "In truth, the Devilfish is not mine; I was hired, in a mercenary fashion. You see, I hail from Sin'an's shores, and we are well familiar with diving bells and the like, which made my crew and I the closest one might find to experts on such vessels. We were sent to meet a ship in the high seas that had the Devilfish in tow, where it was handed to us. And there we were tasked with delivering it to a certain point up the coast, on pain of not being seen by any other ship." He kicks the obviously malfunctioning pressure engine. "Considering that the Devilfish's capricious nature sees us stranded here, it seems like an agreement I can no longer honor. Yet I am not sure the consequences of hailing a ship for help and letting the secret out, so to speak." His eyes focus on Toshiba. "It is said that in crime, there are witnesses and accomplices. I certainly bear our saviour no ill will, but I was wondering if this is a philosophy you subscribe to, being - and I hope you'll pardon my frankness - of the criminal persuasion."
Gatac 2016-01-01 15:25:09
Well," Hetechi says. "All things considered, I think it is time for something a little less...social and more practical." He looks at Yukio and Kirika. "If you could...try to look a bit more somber, I will see about fetching Omo-saibancho. You would do well to be familiar with him if you are going to see the inside of the courthouse."
As a guest or a witness, I hope," Kirika says.
"I don't know," Yukio says as Hetechi walks away. "If being Kamura-kensei does not work out, I could see you as an advocate."
"You would prefer that I spend my days in a building surrounded by guards?" Kirika asks with a smirk.
"I would prefer that you do not limit yourself to helping people with the edge of your blade," Yukio replies.
"I think Ueki is proof enough that I prefer that as well," Kirika replies.

"Indeed," Yukio says, but her attempt at further indecencies is disrupted by Hetechi's return, tailed by a bureaucrat whose robes do little to hide the physique of a warrior past his prime, which his haircut and his alert eyes just reinforce. "Lady Kamura, Lady Matsumoto, may I introduce you to the city's Chief Justice Omo Takeshi."
"Well met," Omo says, putting his left fist into his right hand as he bows.
Kirika does her best formal martial bow in return. "Chief Justice, it is an honor to meet you."
"Likewise," Omo says. "I've been meaning to talk to you, actually. You've had dealings with Ishikawa-dono." Not a question, just a statement.
"That we have," Kirika says.

Omo's statement has no accusatory edge to speak of. His manner of speaking, though, is in a curious place between a little too common for the noble crowd and a little too old-fashioned for the most forward-thinking city in the Empire. If he were to tell you that he used to serve as one of many samurai under Lord Shira, there'd be no reason to doubt him.

"Then let me be frank," he says. "As a judge, I am neither enemy nor friend to you. As a man...I am very concerned about your presence. There are many things happening in the shadows of this city. I do not claim to know much of them, but only a fool would dismiss the events that have conspired since your arrival as mere coincidence. It is my personal wish that the citizens of this city live their lives in peace unharried by criminals, vagabonds and agitators. Is this understood?"
"Normally I would agree, Chief Justice," Kirika replies. "But if the soil must be disturbed to pull evil up by the roots?"
"That is not the way," Omo says. "To the contrary. In times of upheaval, the people need to be reassured of the proper functioning of the Empire. We must not fight evil with our blades unless commanded so by proper authority. The way to truth is the way to goodness. Leave your blade sheathed; worthy battles can be fought in the courtroom, and reassure the Empire that there is justice in order, not anarchy."
"I have already offered her," Kirika replies. "She has made it clear that she will fight to the death to keep her power."
"It is difficult to arbitrate a dispute among unreasonable people," Omo says. "Let me be frank once more. If you or Ishikawa-dono see fit to bring accusations against someone in my court, I shall hear your witnesses, see your evidence and ask whatever questions necessary to arrive at the underlying truth. If force is needed to bring the accused before my bench, then with all due regret I will order it. But I cannot condone that you act without authority. I've no power to keep you from doing what you wish to do, but rest assured that if charges are brought against you for your actions, I will see to it that you report to my court, whether you wish it or not."

Kirika nods. "I understand, Chief Justice. And despite what I may or may not have to do, I have the utmost respect for your institution and your concerns. There will hopefully be a day when this situation is over, and we will all live under the even hand of Justice. Know that I, and my friend, wish for that."
"I, too, understand this, and it is not my intention to make light of your ideals, which I hold in high esteem," Omo replies. "Consider yourselves...informed, then. Now, the other issue." He reaches into his robes, withdrawing a rolled up document that he hands over to Kirika. "This certifies that your family name has been reinstituted in the Imperial Registry and that you, Kirika Kamura, are hereby authorized to make claims in the name of the Kamura clan. As I recall, there are several properties in the registry that were forfeited - in good faith - when news reached us that your father had perished alongside his family; while this does not grant you an immediate claim on these properties, you are entitled to immediate relief and compensation in lieu for the loss of your property according to the statutes. The registrar's office can help you with the details; I must admit civil law is not my strongest suit."
"And if I were to...want my family's property and belongings back instead?" Kirika asks.
"You may certainly plead your case in court," Omo says. "The issue is that those who currently possess your former property bought these lands and items, also on good faith, and have since held, used or even sold them on. Their claim is no less legitimate. You are, as I said, entitled to immediate relief in the form of a stipend to take care of your living expenses, as well as compensation proportional to the value of your former property. You are, of course, free to seek out the current owners of these properties and ask if they will agree to sell your former property back to you, but that is beyond the scope of what I can decide." His face falters slightly. "I am sorry for your loss and I do not wish to add to your burden. If it is not too forward, I would ask that you try not to fault these people who bought what your family left behind, but instead avail yourself of the Empire's generosity and seek to settle your affairs in a civil manner."
Kirika's expression darkens. "There was nothing legitimate about how they aquired my family's things. Nothing. They betrayed my father and chased my mother and myself from our home with nothing but the clothes on our back. They bribed and threatened to get those papers you claim give them legitimacy."
Omo is very careful to keep his expression neutral. "Plead your case in court," he answers. "Bring your evidence and your witnesses. If there truly was provable malfeasance in the liquidation of your family's estate, that would make these sales null and void."
Kirika's hands are clenched tight, but she says nothing further about it. "I will try."
"It is your right, Lady Kamura," Omo says. "Speaking as a man once more...many years have passed. It may be difficult to prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that the sales need to be voided - the law would only allow this in cases of gross malfeasance. On the other hand, that your family did once own these titles and that the Empire acted wrongly in selling them is proven by the very fact that you're still alive. You may not recover these titles without a difficult trial, but the compensation the Empire owes you is a substantial part of the original value of these titles." He pauses briefly. "Also be aware that if you cannot substantiate your claims of malfeasance in court, you may open yourself up to charges of slander. The court is neutral in this matter, but if the people who acquired your former property are truly as evil as you claim, they will no doubt use such an opportunity to hurt you further. Please consider this before you make your decision. My office and the registrar will be glad to refer you to advocates who specialize in such disputes, if you wish it."
"And if they...seek to ensure that their spoils stay with them?" Kirika asks.
"You mean by methods outside the legal remedies open to them as part of the trial?" Omo asks. "That would be a matter for Ishikawa-dono's 'police' force."
"You sound skeptical of her efforts, when you both speak of the same rule under the law," Kirika says.

Omo frowns.

"It is not my wish to sound 'skeptical'," he says. "My position is thusly: the rule of law I represent is well-established and has a rich tradition on which to draw. It enjoys the support and the respect of our citizens. Ishikawa-dono's efforts, on the other hand, are - and I do not use this word lightly - radical. They are guided by an idealism I admire, but they are, in undisputed fact, making up their own, new rules and trying to change the entire way justice is applied within the Empire. Whether such reform is ultimately necessary is not for me to decide or comment on. I am merely finding myself in the difficult position of trying to arbitrate best as I can and best as I know, according to the law. As such, I can not afford even the appearance of any partiality for or against Ishikawa-dono's organization. If it seems that I speak ill of them, then I apologize for this confusion; it is merely that I am not quite used yet to the term Ishikawa-dono has chosen to label her force with."
"And I apologize for my misunderstanding," Kirika says. "Good evening, Chief Justice."
"Thank you for listening to me," Omo says. "A good evening to you, Lady Kamura, Lady Matsumoto." Omo bows again, then weaves his way through the crowd, heading straight for the exit.
"He's very serious about the impartial part," Hetechi comments. "Insists I itemize everything he drinks and eats here and bill it to his office. Not that he ever eats or drinks much. Still, he's...quite the man."
"I hope he and I can work together instead of against each other," Kirika says.
"I'm not sure he's the 'work together' type," Yukio comments. "It's like he's...he's standing on a pillar and asking everybody who brings a ladder to turn away. I mean...not that he's...unpersonable, but..."
"Lonely," Hetechi says.
"He has found something worth the isolation," Kirika says. "Sacrificing himself for his life's work."
"I really do respect him for that," Hetechi says. "The Empire is lucky to have men like him, no matter how...momentarily inconvenient they can be."

Kirika simply looks after him and sighs. She wishes she didn't know that their causes would most likely end up opposing each other soon.
Gatac 2016-01-17 01:13:31
Gatac wrote:

Kichirou is going to kick Takao.

To hell of it is, Takao can't see it. That is, there's no sign in the young dancer's thin body, no telltale muscle twitch, no weight-shifting, none of the distinctive tells a student of the martial arts would recognize as "roundhouse incoming, be on guard".

But Kichirou is going to kick Takao. Takao just knows.

...how does he know that?

"You...you can help?" Kichirou mutters, still betraying no hint of attacking his samurai friend. If anything, in this moment, he looks and sounds most like Takao knows him from back at the mill - scared and confused, yes, but no longer at all...belligerent, like the drunk asshole he was acting as just a minute ago. This Kichirou wouldn't lay a finger on anyone.

But Kichirou is going to kick Takao. That's as sure as the sun and the moon and the endless waves of the ocean.

...and then it happens.

Not immediately. Takao has a few seconds to keep watching Kichirou slouch closer, dragging a foot and looking like he doesn't know he's doing it. Tako has a few seconds to come up with a plan, something that will apply to both what he sees and what he knows (without knowing how he knows), and while his face stays impassive, his stance shifts subtly.

The troubling thing is that, knowing what's going to happen, it's all too easy to see the signs that he ordinarily might have dismissed. See, there's almost no windup, no weight shift in Kichirou's body, but there's something playing over his face - something entirely different than what's going on with his body. Something...

Okay, now it happens.

In a flash, Kichirou vaults off the floor and jumps at Takao, aiming a snap kick at his head! But Takao's hands are already where they should be, his head is nowhere near Kichirou's foot, and in that critical moment Takao can almost admire the look of confusion passing over Kichirou's face as his body commits to an attack that can no longer be stopped. Takao's training takes over and redirects the flying hostage into the next wall. Kichirou's impact sends a rack of spice oil bottles above him into chaos, dumping the glassware onto his head and shoulders. Whether from shock, hitting the wall or getting a pint of garlic oil knocked against his noggin, Kichirou goes down, sprawling to the floor and staying there. As Takao bends down to check Kichirou's vitals, he touches the young man's neck - and a shiver runs down his arm, as if the blood in his veins momentarily turned into the first thaw-water of spring. But the touch also reveals that Kichirou's still breathing, still has a pulse - he's just out cold.

With a grunt, Takao gather's Kichirou off the ground and - after struggling to find a carry method that protects Kichirou's modesty against his indordinately short kimono - Takao sets off to find Kichirou's room to put him to bed without showing him off to the noble assembly in the ballroom.

---

"Something lighter for our next guest, maybe?" Hetechi asks, then waves to the group of performers. The singer - a young man with slick hair - makes some last-second comments to the string player and gives her a kiss on the cheek, then makes his way to the group, where he and Hetechi quickly shake hands and embrace. "What's good?" the singer asks, smiling broadly. "Lady Kamura, Lady Matsumoto - my nephew, Kei."
Kirika bows. "A fine performance," she says with a smile.
"Good crowd makes a good show," Kei says. "That's what it's all about. Just seeing the smiles and hearing the cheers." He smirks. "Helps if you get full buffet access in the deal, too. I mean, you play some nobles, it's just some old dude and his old wife at a table and we play our asses off all evening without them even looking at us."
"Well, know that my love and I are very appreciative of your efforts," Kirika says as she takes Yukio's hand.
"Well, thank you," Kei says. "So, uh...you guys sticking around for the next party, or just passing through?"
"Hopefully we will be around for a good long while," Kirika says.
"Cool," Kei says, then looks to Hetechi.
"Go on," Hetechi says.
"Okay!" Kei says, breathing deep. "Whew. Er...okay. Er...Lady Matsumoto, uh, this is...really awkward, but...would you go on a date with me?" Seeing Yukio's expression, Kei quickly puts his hands up and takes a half-step back. "No no no, not like that," he hastens to add. "It's just that...okay, how do I say this without sounding like a moron? Okay. There's this theater performance? And we're not playing, but I gotta show up there, be seen. And I'd totally take Tomoe but she needs to be at her father's that night and I *cannot* show up there alone. You know? I would literally fucking die if I did."
Yukio raises an eyebrow. "Literally?" she asks.
"Like, seriously," Kei says. "Tomoe's cool with it," he adds, as if that's supposed to be a deciding factor.

Kirika's hand tightens around the hand of her dearest.

"So, you want me to accompany you?" Yukio asks incredulously.
"Yeah!" Kei says. "I mean, I come there with Tomoe, that's nothing. I love her, but the audience, they...well, not their favorite. I show up alone, it's even worse, they'll think something's wrong, like I'm some kinda...loser."
"But if I go with you, won't 'they' think you are...unfaithful to your beloved?" Yukio asks.
"Yeah!" Kei says. "Exactly! They'll think I dumped Tomoe. Can you imagine how many people are gonna be at the next show just to see the fireworks? We can ham that up a bit. That's just what we need to make it really big, get everybody to know about our band."
"Or you could let me put in a good word for you," Hetechi says.
"Gods, uncle!" Kei says. "Please, don't get me wrong, I love you, but...no. Just...no. I'm doing this. Not you."
"Of course," Hetechi says.
Yukio still looks skeptical. "That sounds...interesting."

Holding on to Yukio's hand is turning more and more into an excuse for Kirika not to deck the Little Nephew.

"Yeah?" Kei says. "So you're in? Please say you're in." Yukio turns to Kirika. "If you have no objections, dearest..."
"What about Tomoe's feelings?" Kirika asks. "They will think you have left her - and might ask her about it."
"Oh yeah," Kei says. "We went over that part. She's got to act real hurt, but tell them she still loves me, she wants to make this work, the band is everything to her...perfect setup for me to act like a total jerk. Drama puts asses in seats, you know?"
Kirika looks to Yukio, raising an eyebrow in an unspoken "Really?", but then shrugs.
"I'll do it," Yukio says. "When is this event?"
"Oh man!" Kei says, beaming. "Tomorrow evening at the Silver Lion! Uh, and bring the sword. Dudes love chicks with swords."
"The 'dudes' certainly do," Yukio says.
"I think that settles things for now," Hetechi says. "If you could continue your performance, Kei?"
"Oh, yeah!" Kei says, stepping away. "Tomorrow, Silver Lion, sword! Love you guys!"

And with that, he hurries away.

"Feel some pity?" Kirika asks. "Or just want a free show?"
"A free show is enticing, and I admit I'm...flattered," Yukio says. "But mostly I just think he needs to be taught some manners, and this should afford me the opportunity to do so." She turns to Hetechi. "No offense, Lord, but your nephew is...not yet a man to be proud of."
"Something I intend to rectify," Hetechi says. "Just now I managed to persuade him to hire a manners coach. I have every confidence in her ability."
"...you really are Hiro Homi's best friend," Yukio comments with a smirk.

Kirika's smile is met with a impish grin on Hetechi's face.

"Well, yes," Hetechi says. "I try, at least..." He trails off as he spots someone across the room. "Excuse me," he says. "There may be a slight issue I need to...handle. Please stay here." As he hurries off, Kirika gets a good look at the 'issue': none other than Lady Ikishi, grabbing a cup from a nearby servant's platter and grinning like a shark as Hetechi hurries to intercept her.

Kirika's grasp on Yukio's hand tightens, but only for a moment before she nods for Yukio to go up the left side of the hall while Kirika goes right. Yukio just silently nods back and grasps firm her sword hilt as she takes up the left flank. She's not happy about it, but if it's time to cut a bitch, she's ready. As Kirika makes her way through the crowd, she starts to hear the first hushed words between Hetechi and Ikishi.

"You deplorable witch," Hetechi breathes. "By what right do you come to my home and drink my wine?"
"Oh, rooster, don't be so cross," Ikishi says with a smile. "I've always appreciated your...flexibility. Having a spine all of a sudden does not suit you at all."
"Give me one good reason I should not have you arrested right this second," Hetechi says. "Just one. I'm waiting."
"Oh, how quickly we forget, High Lord," Ikishi says. "Did you think your dear Kichirou would not talk to me?"
"Lady Ikishi," Kirika says, summoning her most respectful tone and giving her a bow.
"And my dear Kirika, too," Ikishi says, not even bothering to return the bow. "A little early for you to celebrate, is it not?"
"Merely taking a night to meet the movers and shakers of the capital," Kirika says. "And I would prefer my proper title of Lady Kamura."
Ikishi covers the lower half of her face with her fan as she snickers. "Oh, that is too droll," she finally says. "I'd heard your family name was returned to you. Isn't it great? Now you can finally return to your birthright and squander your family's money, like a proper noble. Just look to your friend Hetechi here for how to do it."
"Get. Out." Hetechi hisses.
"Momentarily, my dear," Ikishi says. "Despite appearances, I'm not here to spoil anyone's fun. I'm just picking somebody up."
"You should try some of the food, Lady," Kirika says, trying to draw her eyes away from Yukio.

(Kirika's Bluff: 1d20+21 = 31)

Kirika's well-timed barb earns her an unflinching glare from Ikishi, along with her undivided attention. "Did I not just say I was going to leave?" she says. "You're hardly in the position to play gracious host, Kirika."
"No, mostly because you've already insulted him," Kirika points out.

(Kirika's Impress: 1d20+20 = 34)

"Oh, that is truly the limit!" Ikishi hisses.
"And what would you know about limits?" Hetechi rejoinders.
"Oh, that is rich, coming from the Empire's biggest degenerate!"
"That is still Degenerate-Sama to the likes of you!"
"If you knew the first thing about how to treat a lady, you would never dare speak such things to my face!"
"Thankfully I'm not in this predicament, as I've yet to see a face underneath all that makeup!"

By now, Ikishi's careful barbs and Hetechi's hushed threats have turned into a full-blown scene thanks to Kirika's prodding, and it seems like about half the people in the crowd are glaring - at Ikishi. For once, she carries an expression of being utterly dumbfounded, and although she quickly laughs and covers up with her fan, it's clear that she's taken a hit she wasn't planning to.

"Ah, there you are!" Ikishi quickly says as Tsukareta rushes to her side, carrying his satchel of plans. "See? We're leaving," she adds. "A good night to the lot of you." She turns to leave, only to find Yukio standing behind her - and the flinch back from the surprise is so absolutely worth it. "Excuse me," Ikishi barks, by now completely stripped of her sweet facade. Grabbing Tsukareta by the hand like a misbehahing child, she pushes past Yukio and out of the room, heading straight to the mansion's exit.

"Kei," Hetechi says. "Music."
"...at once, uncle!" Kei answers, then quickly gathers the band and starts a new song.
As the strings sound again, the ill moment dissipates slowly, and Hetechi finally lets out his breath. "Heavens preserve me," he mutters.
"Do you want us to get him back?" Kirika asks, hand already on her sword.
"No," Hetechi says. "No. Let him...let him go. Let him see Ikishi for who she really is."
"My thoughts exactly," Hiro Homi adds, appearing at Kirika's side out of the crowd.
"Spirits protect him," Kirika whispers. She turns to Hiro as she feels Yukio's arm wrap around her side. "Enjoying the party?"
"More than you, I'd wager," Homi says.
"I don't know," Kirika says, turning to look at the room watching Ikishi leave. The crowd's mostly settled back into what they were doing before, though a few small groups are still chatting among themselves and glancing over at the remains of the scene. "I think it's gone pretty well so far," Kirika says. She gives Yukio a kiss. "What do you think, love?"
"...I had her," Yukio says. "I can't believe it. I was right in her back. I could have..."
"Complicated things considerably," Homi says, "and I'm grateful you didn't. Not everyone would have your restraint."
"Surely you could sort out the mess after she's...departed," Hetechi says.
"Perhaps," Homi says. "The issue is, I'm not entirely certain it would have done the job. And I do not strike until I'm certain."
"Agreed," Kirika says. "But I love that you thought about it just the same."
"Always ready, never hasty," Yukio replies. "Just like Master Oa taught me."
"It was worth it for the look on her face," Homi adds. "No doubt," Yukio says.
"What does she want with Tsukareta, though?" Kirika asks. "And where is Takao?"

---

As far as Takao's concerned, he's handling things pretty well - having found Kichirou's room by the trail of sake on the floor and put him to bed, then having conscripted a passing servant into watching him, he's dealt with the little incident as quietly as could be wished for. Sure, he'll have to tell someone about the mess in the kitchen, and there's about a million questions burning in his mind about what the Hells is going on with Kichirou, but all things considered, this is going rather -

Lady Ikishi bursts into the hallway in front of him, looking rather - out of sorts. There's no trace of her sickly sweet smile or aura of confidence, just one pissed off woman making cracks in her white facial makeup and dragging Tsukareta behind her over his feeble protests.

"Lady Ikishi," Takao greets her cooly.
"You!" she hisses, pushing past him. "You'll get yours, too!"

As she rushes down the next stairway, Takao is left with a few more questions. Time to go collect some answers.

---

"What does she want with Tsukareta, though?" Kirika asks. "And where is Takao?"

Just on cue, the samurai reenters the ballroom, looking slightly worse for wear and more intense than usual, if such a thing is possible.
MikeS 2016-01-17 14:09:36
Takao heads straight towards the group.

"Something is wrong with Kichirou. Could you believe that he attacked me?! I saw it coming, and took him down quickly, but someone else might have been less lucky. He has a dancer's grace and strength. He is normally to timid to hurt anyone, but now... He's like a man possessed."

Takao pauses for a moment. Then he draws his blades from his obi, and presents them to Kirika.

"There was a strange sensation as I picked up Kichirou to carry him to his room. I wonder.... could he really have been possessed? And could that spread? Strange times we live in. A year ago, I wouldn't have thought twice about such a tale. I hope Nikochi will be back soon; perhaps he can sense the spirits or something. In the meanwhile, I shouldn't bear arms. If I were to lash out as Kichirou did..."

It doesn't take much imagination to picture what Takao could turn this party into, especially with an element of surprise.
punkey 2016-01-17 21:19:37
Kirika and Hetechi look at Takao like he's insane - as do the rest of the party.
"Uh, sure thing," Kirika says, taking Takao's weapons and handing them off to a nearby attendant.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2016-01-21 11:12:07
"Frankness is oftimes a double-edged blade," the Oni replies with a 'we're all more or less scumbags here' smile. "But I believe in this case, thou hast chosen true. Know you a reaver named Olafsen?"
Gatac 2016-01-21 12:20:00
"I should hope so!" Okita laughs. "This ship was outfitted to lead the hunt for him. They say that there's nothing afloat that can square up to his Gungnir, but the Devilfish can hunt him when the winds fail their cloth, and we are quite eager to test our torpedoes against its hull."

---

Hiro Homi leads Takao, Kirika and Yukio aside.

"I can't explain what is happening to Kichirou and you," he tells Takao, "but I can't dismiss that it is happening. Hetechi must keep a careful eye on Kichirou - and we must all keep a careful eye on you, Takao. If you sense anything amiss, do not hesitate to alert me - in the face of such powers, every detail might be vital."
punkey 2016-01-24 17:26:18
Kirika groans and looks to Hiro. "I think we both know who Takao needs to see, as reluctant as I am to admit it."
adams@eyemaginations.com 2016-01-27 13:30:26
Toshiba's face goes through a few odd expressions as he matches Okita's description of how the bizarre vessel works with their narrow escape from Ikishi's flooding home. Learning Olafsen is Okita's target, and then that their mishap has stranded them unable to complete their contract, well, that's just ginger on the sushi.

"I am sorry for your fortune, and that you will have to wait quite a while longer to see thine vessel pitted against a worthy foe," Toshiba starts, "but know that Olafsen is counted as an ally to mine own allies. Your... Devilfish's... trouble brings me good fortune, and in doing so I consider thee my ally as well, even if by happenstance. For one does not closely inspect a steed given freely. If thee and thine crew will meet no ill end in this place, I must continue on my journey. Should thee repair thine strange fish, I wouldst strongly consider a pirate's life rather than continue in the employ of thine current mistress."
Gatac 2016-01-28 15:18:09
"In this thing? Not a chance," Okita opines. "But I calculate she'll make it to Shinju with a few repairs, and ought to fetch a tidy price from anyone interested in her novelties - a prize that should see us free to pursue alternative employment options." He chuckles. "You be on your way now, Oni, and be assured of our gratitude."

As Toshiba climbs back outside, he meets back up with Sidewinder, whose hat and cloak finally look like a sensible fashion choice considering the inclement weather.

"I reckon you must have spent a lifetime or two at sea yourself, haven't you?" he remarks. "How else am I to account for your steely eye and your soft heart?"

Toshiba's reply is noncommital; not every memory dredged up from the many lives of the Blue Oni is a pleasant one, and the salt water burning his lungs for what seems like hours before the depths finally claimed him, once upon a time...

...it's something to try not to think about when the pair rockets into the night sky once more, on a heading back to the capital.

---

"Yoshihiro's choices of High Lord appointments might not always have been the most lucid," Homi cautions, "but he had an eye for...singular talents. Whatever quirks Nikochi-dono has, he is far more in tune with the world of the spirits than most, and he knows their ways and rules better than anyone else we might call upon. My doubts lie with his sanity, but I have not seen in him any attempt to deceive us about his past or his motives. Have you?"

Kirika and Takao share a glance.

"I take that as a no," Homi says. "In any event, I've had my fill of this occasion. The others should be back from their excursion any hour now; we should hasten to meet them and hear of what they have uncovered."

As you disperse, Hetechi stands ready to see you off, sharing a respectful bow with Kirika, a handshake with Takao and even an embrace with Homi. The smell of fresh food and fine perfumes lingers even as a servant leads you on a winding way out of the mansion and to the island's private dock.

---

As the servants secure the last bits of the buffet, the band - Kei the singer, Tomoe the zither-player/girlfriend, Kiyu the flutist and Eriku the drummer - are sharing a little moment. And by moment, we mean "ruinously expensive leftovers".

"Great show, guys!" Kei says. "I was really feeling it, you know? The whole...the whole show."
Eriku grunts his assent between mouthfuls of sweet dumplings.
"Your uncle, he's alright!" Kiyu says. "He's a good fella. I like the guy."
"You and everyone else," Kei says.
"Hey, he's really nice to hire us for this," Tomoe says. "Don't be such a jerk."
"Yeah, don't be a jerk," Kiyu says.
Kei looks to Eriku, who shrugs between bites of tempura shrimp. "Fine," Kei says. "My uncle is awesome. Better?"
"You really need to work on your attitude, Kei," Tomoe says. "Be more thankful."
"Hey, I am thankful!" Kei says. "But I don't want to live on handouts, okay? We're great. We are great. We should be playing our own shows, guys."
"You got a plan?" Kiyu asks.
"Do I!" Kei says, with a grin. "I mean, we do a mean Buyō, but in the end, there's bigger bands than us doing the same kinda stuff, you know? We don't have four drummers."
Eriku grunts as he scarfs down some sushi rolls.
"Not that we need four drummers," Kei says. "But, like...we have to do something new. Something...something cool."
"And what do you think is cool?" Tomoe asks. "Let me guess, I need to loosen my kimono?"
"No, no," Kei says. "That's cheap. No, I'm talking about controversy. Get people really talking about us. Like, we gotta do this and give it a little edge, a little danger, a little Oh No You Didn't Just Do That."
"Noh Mai without masks?" Kiyu asks.
Eriku nods.
"Oh, what do you know?" Kei says. "Forget all that. New dances. New songs. Something that's never been done before." He grins, then produces a folded up leaflet. "Here, I got this downtown, the police were trying to round them up but I managed to grab one and get out with it. Look at this."
"...I don't get it," Kiyu says. "Who are seven devils? You scribbled all over it, too. Are these...are you singing that?"
Eriku rolls his eyes.
"The High Lords, Kiyu!" Kei explains. "People are angry at them. Tensions are high. This could be, like...protest music! The voice of the people!"
"Kei, no!" Tomoe complains. "No. What would your uncle say?"
"My uncle can stand a little constructive criticism," Kei says. "Now, come on, guys. We can make this work."
"I don't like this, Kei," Tomoe says, but she picks up her zither.
"Just bear with me for a moment, babe," Kei says. "Okay, Kiyu, I need you to do the windchime opener, then you just follow Tomoe's lead. Eriku, I need you the give it your all. I want to hear those drums. Got it?"
Eriku grunts his assent.
"Okay, guys," Kei says, rising to a singing position as the others take hold of their instruments. "1, 2, 3..."

Holy water cannot help you now
A thousand armies couldn't keep me out

I don't want your money
I don't want your crown

See I've come to burn
Your empire down

And no rivers and no lakes, can put the fire out
I'm gonna raise the stakes; I'm gonna smoke you out...
Gatac 2016-02-06 14:33:54
Ikishi's personal carriage rolls through the city towards the Office of Reconstruction, where High Lord Tsukareta executes his duties with the utmost care and commitment; in fact, he's taken over the summer pagoda in the office's garden as his living space, preferring to always be close at hand if things come up. It is however, far away from the generous accommodations of his sponsor, Lady Ikishi, and tonight Tsukareta feels wracked with guilt as he watches the woman who lifted him from the ashes of his youth fall to pieces; quiet tears stream down her face, ruining her makeup.

"I can't do this," she mutters to herself. "I just...I can't."
"What has upset you so?" Tsukareta asks. "I did not hear the argument."
Ikishi looks up through the tears, putting on a smile for her protege. "Oh, Yagami-kun," she says. "Please do not ask after my troubles. You've quite enough to deal with yourself."
"I'm never too busy to listen to you," Tsukareta says. "You've advised me many times, it is only fair that I should try to help you for once."
Ikishi sniffles. "You won't leave it be, will you, Yagami-kun? No, of course not."
"Never," Tsukareta confirms.
"Just a taste of...of court politics, I'm afraid," Ikish begins to tell. "You know, Hetechi-dono has long tried to get you to come to one of his parties, and I've advised you to keep your distance, but today you went and I...I did not want to be a nag, so I told you that you should go if you wanted to."
"I...I wanted to, yes," Tsukareta says. "You don't like him."
"Of course not," Ikishi says. "He's a spendthrift and an egomaniac who cannot bear to go without everyone's attention. There's enjoying yourself to balance out hard work, and then there's...degeneracy. But I could stand this. I could even stand the barbs he throws at me whenever we meet; he thinks that just because he's a High Lord he has license to say whatever he wishes, even to a Lady, and..." She sniffles again. "Oh, forgive me, I digress. He just drives me beyond good sense."
"...I can't say I enjoyed the production much either," Tsukareta says. "It was altogether too loud and busy and...cloying. I should have listened to your warnings."
"You just had to see for yourself," Ikishi says. "I do not blame you at all, Yagami. The point to all this...what I'm trying to say is...oh, it's too terrible. I should not tell."
"Please, say it," Tsukareta says.
"I don't know if it's true or not," Ikishi says. "But in our argument, Hetechi-dono, he...he talked very rudely about you. How he was glad to have pried you out of your cave and gotten you to live like a human being for a few hours."
"What?!" Tsukareta snarls.
"Please, Yagami, calm yourself," Ikishi says. "Please. He was...he didn't mean that, I'm sure. If he really had a problem with you, he would tell it to your face, wouldn't he? Like a real man. No, he was merely picking at me with it...he knows all the rumors, of course." Ikishi grows an angry sneer. "They should be celebrating you! Your hard work, Yagami, dragged through the mud by that...that...."
"Obasan, please," Tsukareta says. "He isn't worth getting angry about."
"I know," Ikishi whispers. "I know! And...he can say about me whatever he wants, Heavens know he does and I can't stop him. But when he spoke like that of you, I just...you do not deserve it."
"Neither do you!" Tsukareta says. "I...I should tell him off, the next time I see him!"
"No!" Ikishi pleads. "Yagami, please, no, I...I beg of you. Do not do this. You did not hear what he said, nobody else did. What would you confront him with? He could just deny it. And he has all the nobles in this city on his side. This will not help anything. You must be unassailable in this. Leave the...leave the politics to me."
"But he'll get away with it," Tsukareta says. "That isn't right!"
"It's not, but this is the Empire that is," Ikishi says. "These High Lords...they are accountable to nobody with the Emperor gone."
"I am accountable," Tsukareta says, "to the people. To my honor. And to the future of the Empire."
Ikishi smiles. "Oh, Yagami," she says, squeezing out a few more tears. "Would that more people knew you like I do."
"...I tried to, Obasan," Tsukareta says. "Tonight, I mean. I thought...maybe with all these nobles around, I might...find someone to talk to."
"Oh, forgive me," Ikishi says. "I did not mean to throw your evening under the wheels of my troubles. Please, tell me more of what you did."
"I had a few drinks," Tsukareta says. "I tried...different wines. Didn't like any of them."
"Dreadful stuff, is it not?" Ikishi says. "Sadly, it is the thing to do, drink wine and be merry and pretend. And I'm proud of you for trying. I know you like to be alone."
"It wasn't all bad," Tsukareta says. "I ran into Lady Kamura, and we had a discussion about my projects."
"Oh, indeed?" Ikishi says. "You spoke to her when she came into town, didn't you?"
"Only to deliver the invitation you asked me to," Tsukareta says. "Oh, I see it now, you wanted me to meet her."
Ikishi smiles. "Because I happen to know that she's more than just a folk hero in training," she says. "There are deep thoughts behind those pretty eyes. What do you think?"
"She seems nice, I guess," Tsukareta says. "She showed some interest in my work, even, but she's...she's hiding something."
"She's careful," Ikishi says. "We shouldn't begrudge her that."
"But she's working against you," Tsukareta says.
"She's working for the good of the Empire, as she sees it," Ikishi says. "Our goal is the same, even if our perspective and methods yet differ...but this is a distance that I'm sure can be bridged."
"...was that an engineering joke, Obasan?" Tsukareta says.
Ikishi giggles. "So it was!" she says. "Oh, I'm sorry, I intended no wordplay, my mind just..."
"Went down the wrong road," Tsukareta says, grinning.
"That was you!" Ikishi laughs. "You said that, Yagami, not I."
"Aren't we both terrible," Tsukareta says.
"Oh, we are, are we not?" Ikishi says, then stills her laughter. "Thank you, Yagami-kun. For listening."
"Always," Tsukareta says. "I'll see you three days hence for lunch, won't I?"

Ikishi's mouth opens to answer, but quickly distorts into a mask of pain as she doubles over, clutching at her belly.

"Obasan?" Tsukareta asks, sliding forward to hold her shoulders. "Sumiko-oba!"
"Argh!" Ikishi says, breathing through clenched teeth as she straightens herself. "Fine," she breathes. "I'm fine. I think I'm...passing another stone."
"You should see a doctor, Obasan," Tsukareta warns sternly. "Your humours are tempestuous as of late."
"I know," Ikishi admits. "But I would not wish to bother one at this hour." She gasps for air. "Yagami, I hate to do this, but can you...can you go to the office on foot from here? I shall have the carriage hurried to the next bath house and have them draw me a hot bath for the pain."
"Certainly!" Tsukareta says, rising from his seat to gently embrace Ikishi, then turns to knock on the wall separating the cabin from the driver's seat, signalling him to pull over and stop. "Listen, I've got an inspection tomorrow and there's a council session, but I will come visit you as soon as possible."
"Yagami, please, your duties -"
"Can wait one day, Obasan," Tsukareta says. "And somebody has to drag you to a doctor."
"You know me too well," Ikishi admits wistfully. "Very well, I see there's no escape for me. I shall be at home tomorrow to rest and await your arrival."
"Indeed," Tsukareta says, pulling the cabin door open. "And try to get some sleep, Obasan. You look tired."
"Hardly the thing to tell a Lady, Yagami-kun," Ikishi says.
"That's no barb," Tsukareta says. "Merely the truth."
"A blade is said to cut true if it cuts deep," Ikishi says. "Travel safely."

Tsukareta nods to her, then jumps off the stopped carriage and closes the door after him. After a moment, the carriage starts moving again, and Ikishi unclenches her teeth. Her free breath fogs up the air inside the cabin with a sickly green miasma.

"Yu," Ikishi spits. "You should not know how to do this...did you hide your knowledge from me, or did you gamble the life of my daughter?" She coughs up another cloud of yellow vapor. "No matter. You will know the price of your disobedience."
Gatac 2016-02-06 15:01:42
"It is done," Yu says, holding up the last needle to be extracted from Himiko's neck. Just seconds after removal, the young woman stirs uneasily before her blind eyes flutter open. If she could see - well, she'd get a good look at the lot of you assembled in the back room of the factory, the new unofficial Shadowwatch HQ. As it is, she has to go by the sound of breaths to figure out she's surrounded.

"What...what's going on?" Himiko asks.
"You're safe," Yu answers.
"What?" Himiko says, pushing away from Yu. "I was...I was with my mother..."

Yu looks to Takao, who quickly realizes he's the only one in the room who Himiko actually knows.

"Everything is alright, Himiko," Takao says. "My...friends and I have brought you to safety."
"Takao-san!?" Himiko says. "You're...these are your friends?"
"Guilty as charged," Kagemaru answers.

One long round of introductions later....

"See, I told you the Oracle would help us!" Nikochi-dono crows for the fifteenth time as the conversation turns around Himiko's recovery and Ikishi's dark designs, because of course he was right about the spirit world and so helpful and Gods will somebody just shut him up already?
"Yes, you did tell us, repeatedly," Hiro Homi cuts in. "Perhaps you could advise us in another capacity? It seems like Takao here has picked up a...spirit-related affliction."
"Ooh!" Nikichi says. "Do tell!"

One extremely long back-and-forth explanation of bleeding precisely what happened later...

"No two ways about it, friend," Nikochi tells Takao. "You've taken your first step beyond the veil."
"...veil?" Homi asks.
"The fog of illusion that obscures the real!" Nikochi says. "An ordinary man can only see the effects of the eternal truths that drive the world, which produces the mental trick of time...we live in a 'present' and move towards a 'future' only because our minds will not, cannot process reality as it is! In this we are doomed to partial blindless, it is as if...as if we could not see the ship cutting through the ocean, merely feel its bow wave wash past us. Takao, however, has trained to anticipate his opponent in battle, and in doing so, he has inadvertently opened his mind to the possibility of the true reality behind our world, the clockwork at the core of all things! His exposure to the mystical powers of the swamp has accelerated the journey of his mind towards enlightenment, and today he caught but a fleeting glimpse of its radiant beauty! It is a sight beyond sight! Knowledge beyond learning!"
"So he knows when somebody is going to hit him," Homi summarizes.
"A single glimpse that may not recur with any regularity," Nikochi says. "But, with some focused training...and the correct doses of nature's bounty,...he stands ready to unlock untold doors of perception!" Nikochi beams at Takao, getting way too close to the stoic warrior. "We should start immediately, while my herbs are still fresh and potent!"
MikeS 2016-02-07 22:58:25
Takao looks at Nikochi incredulously for a moment. "This is what you see all the time?"

Then holds up his hand to silence Nikochi for a moment. "There are things we need to take care of first, before you can share you herb-induced enlightenment with me."

He turns to Himiko first:"Himiko, your mother kidnapped you. She blocked your chi with needles in a way that no one was meant to undo. Clearly, she does not have your best interests at heart, and she ay attempt to take you again, for reasons that we still cannot fathom. You need to decide what to do next. You can stay here if you like, and we can protect you, but you will have to talk to your father."

"Nikochi, you must go and see Kichirou. He is possessed by spirits, and is having a miserable time of it. Can you cure him?"
Gatac 2016-02-08 13:51:34
MikeS wrote:

Takao looks at Nikochi incredulously for a moment. "This is what you see all the time?"

"...not quite," Nikochi attempts to explain. "You see, the human mind is an ill fit for second sight, and at best we can gain the occasional glimpse behind the veil...
MikeS wrote:

Then holds up his hand to silence Nikochi for a moment. "There are things we need to take care of first, before you can share you herb-induced enlightenment with me."

He turns to Himiko first:"Himiko, your mother kidnapped you. She blocked your chi with needles in a way that no one was meant to undo. Clearly, she does not have your best interests at heart, and she ay attempt to take you again, for reasons that we still cannot fathom. You need to decide what to do next. You can stay here if you like, and we can protect you, but you will have to talk to your father."

"I...I think I should go home now," Himiko says. "Thank you for your kind offer, but...my father surely cannot bear to let me leave the house again until this crisis is ended. Might you escort me there, Takao-san?"
MikeS wrote:

"Nikochi, you must go and see Kichirou. He is possessed by spirits, and is having a miserable time of it. Can you cure him?"

"Oh!" Nikochi says. "Hitchhikers from the swamp, huh? I told him not to lose his mask, but good advice frequently falls on deaf ears. No matter! I shall see those pests removed from him, friend."
MikeS 2016-02-08 22:40:38
Gatac wrote:

"I...I think I should go home now," Himiko says."Thank you for your kind offer, but...my father surely cannot bear to let me leave the house again until this crisis is ended. Might you escort me there, Takao-san?"

"Of course," Takao nods. "We just have to get the carriage ready... or the horses.. we do have horses or a carriage, right?"

As some of the group make travel-ready, Takao whispers hoarsely to Kagemaru:"I'd like a shadow on this one. Who knows when Ikishi will try something else? And her father's estate will need some beefed-up security."
adams@eyemaginations.com 2016-02-10 12:30:55
"What is our next offensive move?" Toshiba asks. "We - and Yu, thank you - have saved Himiko. Nikochi will cleanse Kichirou of malevolent spirits. Ikishi's mercenaries are no longer able to attack Olafsen's ship without reprisal. Has there been any word or sign of that gonnefighter? Fireball? Flamebolt? And does Ikishi have any other warriors of comparable skill who have not yet seen her for what she truly is, as Lord Shira and Yu have?"
Gatac 2016-02-25 14:38:02
Adam wrote:

"What is our next offensive move?" Toshiba asks. "We - and Yu, thank you - have saved Himiko. Nikochi will cleanse Kichirou of malevolent spirits. Ikishi's mercenaries are no longer able to attack Olafsen's ship without reprisal. Has there been any word or sign of that gonnefighter? Fireball? Flamebolt? And does Ikishi have any other warriors of comparable skill who have not yet seen her for what she truly is, as Lord Shira and Yu have?"

"Our intelligence on Ikishi's inner circle is meager at best," Homi points out, "but as of now it seems that, save "Firebolt", we have her inner circle..."
"Lightwatch," Yu offers. "She called us her Lightwatch."
"...the depths of pettiness on that woman," Homi mumbles. "Can you tell us more of it?"
Yu nods. "There were five of us," she says. "Ramma the Archer, Shira the Swordsman, Firebolt the Gonnefighter and Cobra, the -"
"He has been dealt with," Homi cuts in sharply.
Yu nods again. "That leaves only Firebolt, then," she says. "If he has not been sighted yet, that speaks to a good chance that he is already dead."
"Nobody's dead until I see a body," Homi says. "Assuming he yet lives, what do you know of him that might help us find him?"
"He has no family save himself," Yu explains. "None that was ever revealed to me, in any event. I have heard it said that he particularly enjoyed the company of women of pleasure, moreso than drink and gambling."
Homi looks to Toshiba. "No offense, Toshiba, but this seems a task best suited to your talents," he says. "Your name carries weight in the world of criminals, and you are a most remarkable tracker of animals of both the four- and two-legged varieties. We would all sleep much sounder knowing that a beast as dangerous as Firebolt is no longer in the wind."
"I'll ride with you," Sidewinder offers. "I reckon that worst comes to worst you'll need a little lead-slingin' to back up your fancy knife dance."

"Uh..." Ueki cuts in, drawing a few looks. "Are we gonna talk about the submersible?"
"What of it?" Homi says. "Toshiba saw it off to the Southern Seas."
"Yeah, one of them," Ueki says. "Me and Yu were talking about that escape from Ikishi's crazy-ass fortress, she mentioned Ikishi and Noronu going deeper into the place before it flooded. A part of the fortress she was never allowed into."
"None of us were," Yu adds.
"You think this is connected to the submersible?" Homi asks.
"Look, I think the whole thing is nuts," Ueki says. "You build a fortress on an island into the ground, there's machinery noise, the whole thing floods controllably within a minute, we know Ikishi made it out without a fuss. This is...I can't even imagine what the fuck kind of engineering it takes to build this place, keep it from flooding when you don't want it, make it flood when you want it, and be confident all the while that you can get it dry again, all without killing yourself being at the lowest fucking point of the whole mess, almost half a chō under the surface of the ocean?" He pauses for effect. "I've got no fucking idea what's hiding in the inner sanctum there, but she's got this crazy thing going there and we know at least one of a wholly new type of submersible ship was on its way to her. It seems just a little less crazy if those two things have something to do with each other, yeah?"
"I agree that this is unsettling and in need of investigation," Homi says, "but the last time we ventured inside, only Kagemaru's mystical powers carried the day - and he is unsure how to repeat the feat at all, much less control it in such a way as to return there. You think in terms of an underwater port, but to me the experience speaks to an incredibly big mousetrap."
"Maybe it's both," Ueki admits. "But if I'm right, there's another way inside - an underwater passage big enough for that submersible, if not even bigger."
Homi scoffs. "Even pearl divers would shudder to reach a passage as deep as you describe," he says. "It is folly, nothing more. Until we gain a more concrete understanding of what awaits us, we should stay well clear of this place."

"Yup," Sidewinder says. "I know I want no part of that. Taverns and dens and loose women, now that sounds like a worthwhile night on the town. Whaddaya say, Oni?"

---
MikeS wrote:

"Of course," Takao nods. "We just have to get the carriage ready... or the horses.. we do have horses or a carriage, right?"

As some of the group make travel-ready, Takao whispers hoarsely to Kagemaru:"I'd like a shadow on this one. Who knows when Ikishi will try something else? And her father's estate will need some beefed-up security."

"Heh, a shadow," Kagemaru chuckles. "Sure. I'm running out of places to haunt around here."

Herr Maseo's carriage, all but abandoned in the hasty change of factory ownership, isn't much to look at, but that's exactly what's called for to stealthily transport Himiko out of the city - and it truly doesn't matter to her. It takes a few minutes of silently riding inside the enclosed cab before Himiko turns to Takao.

"Takao," she says. "I wish to...apologize. I put you in an awkward position of having to speak out on whether I should go see mother or not, and I want you to know that...what happened afterwards...it is not your fault."

She pauses for a bit.

"I wish to tell you something, in confidence," she says. "When I was...asleep, I...I felt her, a whisper in my dreams. Something that...something that does not belong, but not an enemy. A weary ronin on the road who will keep his blade sheathed if you let him share your fire." Her eyes begin to mist up. "I felt it, inside her. She's...she's dying without me. Don't ask me how, but I know this."

Tears fall as she draws in a sob.

"What fool am I," she croaks, "that I do not hate her for what she's done?"
adams@eyemaginations.com 2016-02-25 14:51:23
"We'll take care of Firebolt," Toshiba agrees with Sidewinder. "If you could put Ueki on that strange vessel, I have no doubt he could repair it and find this potential entrance into Ikishi's lair."