Seven Devils

Gatac 2015-09-23 15:29:27
Gatac wrote:

Yukio's face betrays that she's slowly losing touch with the parts of her that could enjoy themselves without having a hand on her dearest, but after one last stealthy rub she lays off Kirika and saunters off in search of a drink, while Kirika takes a breath and approaches Tsukareta's table. The young engineer looks away, almost as if he doesn't want to notice her, but when it's absolutely clear she's coming to his table and not anywhere else, he snaps his head around as if just seeing her, all but jumps up from his chair - nearly spilling his drink in the process - then hastily climbs out from behind the chair and takes swift steps forward, holding out his hand for her to shake.

"Oh, ah, a good evening, Lady Kamura!" he says, obviously still working on that 'smile like it's not at gonnepoint' thing. "What, ah, what brings you here?"

Kirika bows respectfully - then takes his hand with a smile. "Oh, being in Lord Tatsuno's entourage means you get taken along to all sorts of events," she says. "But there doesn't seem to be much use for a bodyguard here, wouldn't you agree?"
"No, no...I mean yes, I mean...I agree with you," Tsukareta fumbles. "Top notch security. Top notch. Of course, I much prefer passive security measures like reinforced window shutters or internal door bolts - I'm still working on a few locking mechanisms, would you believe that there has been basically no innovation on the state of the art in locks in the last century? We're receiving all this advanced metallurgy and good ore from the Hanse but all we're doing is copying their gonnes and cannons. But does anyone ask them how they build their roads, how their sail rigs work? We've been staring at an unimaginable wealth of knowledge for decades and still we're barely past crude copies of their simplest machines."
"And you plan to change that?" Kirika asks with a raised eyebrow.
"I wouldn't be doing my job if I wasn't!" Tsukareta says, suddenly in full swing. "We cannot turn back the clock to earlier, simpler times, as much as some of the Lords might want to. We have two choices, as I see it: we can either embrace these developments and prepare ourselves to understand, refine and eventually surpass them, or we can do nothing and let our neighbors open up a lead on us that we will never recover from. In this world, you must walk just to stand still."
"And Lady Ikishi is helping you to do that?" Kirika asks, gesturing for them to take a seat.
"Oh, she's not really involved in my daily work," Tsukareta says, showing no signs of attempting to sit down. "She's more interested in political reforms. My specialty is, ah, it doesn't make for good conversation, Lady Kamura."
"Lord Tsukareta," Kirika says, "you have no idea how bored I am with discussing the weather, or the crop yields, or taxation revenue, or the same damn thing every politician talks about at these functions." She smirks. "Please, let's talk about your specialty - it's probably the most interesting thing anyone does here."
"Oh," Tsukareta says, finally getting the hint that they should sit down. He does so, while making hand signs and mouth flaps at one of the servants to get a drink for Kirika. "Oh, certainly," he says, "I mean, ah, if you want to hear it, we could start with...well, how much do you know about bulk shipping?"
"Moving large or heavy cargo?" Kirika asks, reaching back to one of Ueki's rants she half remembers from the last few days.
"Exactly!" Tsukareta says. "Like machines for new factories. The Hanse load them on their ships and sail them into our ports to be met by their new owners, but from there it's our problem. Unloading the ship to begin with is a disaster - few ports even have wooden cranes, nevermind mechanized ones we're trialing in the Northwest Docks next month. So many machines get taken apart on board to be carried out by longshoremen, under the worst conditions imaginable - imagine how much care they don't put into it, how easy it is to damage something or lose a fastener or any of a hundred things that can go wrong. Then the machine, in whole or in parts, has to be transported over land. Most carts cannot deal with the loads, those that can are then hamstrung by our roads, and even when the cargo does finally get to where it's supposed to be you have the same problems with unloading, except this time you don't have any experienced longshoremen or harbor cranes to help you. Do you see how many problems we have to deal with right now? Is it any wonder that we do not modernize and build bulky, primitive machines ourselves with whatever we can manufacture on-site, instead of shipping in much better machines?"
"And how do you plan on fixing that?" Kirika asks, extending her hand to accept the drink Tsukareta got for her - and giving it a careful sniff first.
The drink seems fine, if a little on the sweet side, as Tsukareta picks up steam. "There is not one solution, but three. One, we need deep reforms in how our ports are organized. If the new facilities prove their worth, it will lead to deep-seated changes all over the capital, and from there on to the other major shipping ports in the Empire. Dredging sand to deepen canals and port basins, cranes, longshoremen certification and independent auditing, a unified toll and tax authority - all of that will greatly increase efficiency for loading and unloading and make shipping bulk instead of sourcing locally much more attractive. Two, political, we need to centralize production and industry more effectively - right now factories are sprouting up wherever land is available, but we need to make sure to put them close together so they can reuse specialized infrastructure and help each other - this will be much easier to administer, too. And three, we need better transport from ports to industrial centers. New roads are just the beginning. We're experimenting with machines that can power very heavy carts, carts that could haul even big machines around easily - but these carts need to be made of metal and have metal wheels, and so far we haven't found any kind of road material that can stand up to that. Once we've managed that, though, those...steam carts...they'll change everything."
"That will certainly cost a great deal of money, not to mention land," Kirika points out. "Where do you plan to get them both?"
"Oh, that's, that's...not my department, exactly," Tsukareta fumbles. "Surely Boota and Itanu will weigh in. New taxes will have to be levied, and some marginal villages might have to be moved, and San'in...well, when is San'in ever happy?" He coughs, swallowing a laugh at his own little joke. "Anyway, I agree it's a lot to ask, but we're building the future of the Empire here. You can't put a price tag on that."
"Come now, someone as thorough as you must know how your works will be accomplished," Kirika says. "I bet you've asked for everything down to where each bolt will come from."
"I'm the Chief Engineer, Lady Kamura," Tsukareta says, sounding like he'd prefer to give a different answer. "I can't get involved...I mean, bogged down in all the details. That's why I'm going to propose funding a whole Department of Reconstruction at the next meeting. We'll recruit all the best engineers and masters in their respective trades to work out things down to the bolt, while I and the other High Lords work out the big picture."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2015-09-24 09:52:29
Gatac wrote:

"You will live and die as yourself, free from the Oni's wandering soul...I can promise you at least this much."

Toshiba nods. "Good enough. Thank you, Oracle."
Gatac 2015-10-03 04:01:49
Admiral Duck Sauce wrote:

Gatac wrote:

"You will live and die as yourself, free from the Oni's wandering soul...I can promise you at least this much."

Toshiba nods. "Good enough. Thank you, Oracle."

"It was my pleasure," the Oracle softly intones. "But I'm afraid I must ask you to leave now. May Truth will guide you to what you desire."

---

Outside, you find Nikochi standing over Monk Nr. 2, who looks to have had an encounter with some stones but seems fine otherwise, if slightly dazed.

"Ah, my friends!" Nikochi says, as he steps up to you. "How did you find the Oracle?"
"T'was...incredible," Sidewinder says.
"Disturbing," Kagemaru opines.
"Useful," even Copperhead admits.
"Bah!" Kiara says. "That wispy thing? I thought we were going to see a real dragon."
"You're half dragon," Kagemaru says.
"Yeah, and I'm not impressed," Kiara says. "Where's the fire, the wings, the booming voice? Do you have any idea how exhausting and boring the flight here was, and all just to see what's left when you take a dragon and strip off all the awesome? Bah."
"In any event," Nikochi says, "I've made a donation to the monks on our behalf. We are free to depart any time you wish."
"Is there an inn on this island?" Kiara asks.
"No."
"A tavern?"
"No."
"...a public house?"
"I'm afraid not," Nikochi concludes.
"Gods damn it," Kiara spits.

---

Kirika nods. "Where are your great projects, then? They sound pretty interesting, I'd love to see one."
"Oh," Tsukareta says, "I plan to give a tour of the new dock facilities to the council next week, and after that there are some new mountain dams that we'll inspect in the fall. My road testing area is also at your disposal, but I'm afraid there's not much to see there, unless you have strong opinions on the use of the Hanse's liquid stone versus locally-sourced bricks and tar surfacing."
"Oh, maybe nothing as troublesome as an official tour, but maybe I'll just swing by if I'm in the area," Kirika replies. "Where should I be keeping a look out for them?"

Tsukareta's face lights up as he quickly turns away and rushes over towards the pack sitting at the foot of his table. He unfurls it, then retrieves several scrolls and piles them into the crook of his right elbow. "Hold this, please," he says, handing Kirika his cup and her cup from the table, then he starts putting scrolls down and unfurling them on the table, piecing them together into an incredibly detailed map of the capital and its surroundings. "In my position, one has to dabble a bit in cartography," he says, obviously thinking he's making a sly little joke. His fingers run over the map, but Kirika's eyes are drawn to the heading on top of the map: STRATEGIC INFRASTRUCTURE PROGRAM, SECTOR ZERO. "The road test area is over here," Tsukareta explains, stabbing a finger at what looks like it used to be farmland on the outskirts of the capital, "and the docks are here" - the caption "Burakumin quarters #4" are crossed out next to the dock area - "and the dam, well, you would have to see the big map in my office but it's just about 440 cho upstream along the old trade road, though if we can get funding for the North Axis it would shorten the journey by at least 20%." Noting Kirika's look, he quickly adds "Ah, but if you were to take the journey with the existing roads that's...about two days brisk travel by carriage, Lady Kamura."
Kirika nods. "Then maybe I'll save the dams for later," she says with a smile. She looks around, and sees Yukio looking rather upset that Kirika is off saving the Empire or something instead of being arm-in-arm with her. "Well, my date seems rather bored, so if you will excuse me, Lord?"
"Oh, of course, of course!" Tsukareta says, already working to roll up his map again. "This is a party, not a planning session, isn't it?" he adds, again expecting a chuckle.
Kirika does laugh, genuinely at that. "Fair enough."

She stands up, and walks over to Yukio, snaking her arm around her love's back and giving her a peck on the cheek. "Things are going well over here, I take it?"
"Yes," Yukio comments.
"Lady Matsumoto was just telling me about her father," Hetechi says. "I did meet him once, some years ago, and I may have experienced a little impolite anecdote I was passing on to her, in the strictest confidence and respect for her esteemed family, of course."
"Not about Lord Matsumoto," Kirika says, a little surprised. She didn't think the man had an impolite bone in his body. Forceful, a bit forward, perhaps, but not impolite.
"Oh, it's nothing terrible, I assure you," Hetechi says.
"They wouldn't let Father ride into the city center on his horse," Yukio tells. "He spent an hour shopping around stables until he found one that he was sure would treat his steed well, and then another half hour haggling with rickshaw drivers before he finally hired a whole carriage for himself - but only on the condition that the could sit in front and steer. Well that I was at the Academy at the time, then, I don't think I could have stood by quietly for that!" She laughs again. "I mean, just..."
"Oh, it looked every bit as ridiculous as you imagine it, Lady Matsumoto," Hetechi weighs in. "Your father in his best family armor, steering a rented carriage down main street and shouting for the traders to clear the way for him and his important audience with Shira-dono. Whatever he paid that poor carriage driver, it was clearly not enough."
Kirika laughs and shakes her head. "That is quite a story," she says with a smile, and pokes Yukio in the side. "See, you are having fun."
"I am," Yukio says, placing her hand on Kirika's back and drawing her closer. "I am having fun, dearest."
Hetechi smiles. "And I will endeavour to keep it that way for the rest of this evening. I see you have a drink, Lady Kamura, but might I ask you to finish it within the next ten minutes? I will shortly officially open the festivities and I've picked out an opening drink that I'm sure you'll agree with - and in my house, when cups are raised, everyone simply must have the same. I permit myself this bit of old-fashionedness and I dearly hope you will forgive me the indulgence of the same."
"Not a problem," Kirika says. "Now, if you would excuse me and my love, we would leave you to your preparations and get some air."
"Naturally," Hetechi says. "May I recommend the sunset balcony? It is secluded and has the loveliest view of the capital's lights." He briefly turns away and gets the attention of a servant, who quickly approaches - he looks all of twenty-five, with a boyish softness to his face, immaculately groomed and dressed. "Ozaki will show you the way - and see to it that you have everything you need there, privacy included. I'll have him fetch you for the opening speech, if that is agreeable to you?"
"That sounds lovely," Yukio says, gripping Kirika a bit tighter.
"Then lead the way," Kirika says, her smile growing a bit wider.

---

The band has picked up on Takao's reluctance to engage in rhythmic stylings along with the rest of the slowly growing crowd, and their lead singer/wordsmith/dance instructor decides to take his next song on the floor itself. As the crowd parts, Takao notes that the singer is now dancing around him as he begins his song - too late to escape.

Venture into a noble's house
Venture to the ball room
The ensemble begins its performance
But the samurai stands at the door
The people put down their cups
And assume the Noh Mai stance
But the samurai dislikes this
Because samurai don't dance!

Takao is just about to register his complaints about being mocked thusly that the song abruptly ends - a door has been opened and admitted Kichirou into the room, with a sullen expression and a silk kimono that barely comes down to his thighs while also not exactly doing a great job of covering his chest. Now, Takao would be the first to admit that he can be a little out of touch with the more libertine fashions of the capital nobles, but this seems a step too far, even in Hetechi's house.

Kichirou barely acknowledges Takao or Hetechi or, indeed, anyone else. He just grabs a cup of drink from a stunned servant's platter and stomps off, back through the door he came in.
Gatac 2015-10-12 14:35:00
Ozaki leads Yukio and Kirika out the main hall - or is it just one of the mansion's dining halls? - into a hallway and then up a flight of stairs. Unlike the Count's theater-mansion - the obvious point of comparison - Hetechi's mansion is not quite as ostentatious about its decoration, impressing less with the obvious expense and more with the tasteful yet vibrant colors that seem to run everywhere, giving every part of the house its own mood. A few hallways later, Ozaki opens the door to a kind of lounge that seems like a room with a large balcony, except with no wall between the room itself and the open area outside. Inside the room, there are several lounging chairs and a table, as well as a shelf of light literature and woodcuts, while the already burning fireplace merely requires another bit of quick stoking. The balcony itself is a semi-circle with an elaborate balustrade, and on the top of the handrail you find a mount for a pair of large magnifying viewing glasses, strong enough to observe the goings-on in the harbor districts of the city or watch ships passing in the night.

"I will wait outside," Ozaki says. "If you need anything, please do not hesitate to send me for it."
"Thank you, Ozaki," Yukio says. "I don't think we'll be needing anything for the moment but ourselves."
"Very good, Lady Matsumoto," Ozaki answers with a bow, then departs, closing the door behind him.
Yukio turns to Kirika with a big grin on her face. "Oh, dearest, I want a palace like this. I'm afraid I've been irrevocably spoiled in a mere hour."
"Speak with Toshi, I'm sure he'd let Hetechi decorate," Kirika says.
"The coffers of the Empire might not survive the occasion," Yukio says. She quickly seizes Kirika and kisses her. "We have only ten minutes, but I love a challenge."
Kirika sighs, and holds up her Shadowwatch scarf. "Business first, love."
Yukio pouts. "And you are being quite the challenge indeed," she says. "No matter now. What have you found out from Tsukareta? Any avenue to swaying his opinion?"
"One," Kirika says, and gives the scarf a quick wave in the air.

"I had my back turned the entire time," Hiro Homi says, grunting from the effort of climbing over the balcony rail.
"How did you..." Yukio begins, but Homi waves her off.
"Hetechi-dono is a good friend of mine," he says. "I am well aware of how to reach every part of his mansion in the quickest way possible. An old ninja like me has to resort to such unfair advantages to keep up with the youth of today."
"Tsukareta seems to be willfully ignorant of what Ikishi is doing to accomplish his works," Kirika says, speaking briskly. "Farmland, up the western road, Burakumin quarters number 4, and a valley 440 cho upstream the old trade road were all sites of his works - and I suspect a great many people were displaced from all three. If we could get members of those groups together and bring Tsukareta before them, I think he might have a change of heart."
"If these people are still alive," Homi cautions. "Then again, Ikishi would hardly need to resort to violence if she can just buy them all out. Farmers, Burakumin, a river valley village - these are not rich people. But that is because these areas are not desirable."
"Which is why I suspect that she saved her coin and simply had her pet general force them off their land," Kirika says.
"Possibly," Homi agrees. "The Burakumin are a notoriously insular community, but Shadowwatch might have one or two assets who could help you track them down, if Cell 13 is still active. The farmers and the river valley, though...I'm not sure if we can help with that at all."
"Why go to all the trouble, though?" Yukio asks. "I mean, they build all these things, and then...then what? Tsukareta gets to prove his designs work? How does this help Ikishi?"
"Because it is a better way," Kirika says. "Tsukareta's designs, they are brilliant. They will change our Empire for the better, and Ikishi wants change. She just doesn't care how she gets it."
"And there's a healthy profit to be made if she owns the land all the new infrastructure is built on," Homi adds. "Think of all the tolls and taxes she can charge, use fees at the new docks - for if they are really as fast and efficient as Tsukareta wants them to be, people will be willing to pay a lot of money to use them. Farmers will pay for the dam's hydraulic regulation of flooding seasons. The road test area would be a perfect nucleus for one of those industrial areas Tsukareta is planning, too."
"So, can you find these poor souls?" Kirika asks. "The dam project is close enough that many of them probably fled here, and the others already were local."
"We can certainly try," Homi says. "I have...less faith that seeing them will dissuade Tsukareta from his vision, but I have learnt not to underestimate the force of nature that is your ability to convince people."
"He seemed almost ill when I even came close to asking about what was being done in his name," Kirika says. "Believe me, he will be ready."
Homi nods. "Very good," he says. "Very good. We might actually win him over, then? I never imagined we would be able to get all of the High Lords on our side...that will make things much easier."
"Indeed," Kirika says. "Please, hurry, Hiro." Her voice is business, but the hand sneaking down Yukio's back is anything but.
"I will send word," Homi says, nodding to Kirika and Yukio. "You two enjoy those last few minutes, then."

As he climbs back over the balustrade, Yukio draws Kirika in for another kiss. "I'm not sure I like how busy your new office is keeping you, Shadowguard."
"It's a crazy time," Kirika replies, and quickly leads Yukio back down onto a bench. "Lay down, we've only got five minutes, and I love a challenge," she whispers in Yukio's ear.

Yukio's response is naught more than a giggle...

---

Toshiba's leading the pack on the route back, which is to say that he's got the good fortune to be carrying Sidewinder, while Kiara is stuck with blabbermouth Nikochi and Kagemaru is...well, he said he knew a "shortcut" to get Copperhead back to the city first, which seems reasonable enough considering the roiling sea beneath is naught but shadow at this time of day. Well, except the reflection of a couple of stars...wait, are these -

(Toshiba's Notice: 1d20+18 = 25)

- these are lanterns! Toshiba arrests his foreward flight and trains his eyes on the dark; the Oni's mask helps a bit, but even so, he can barely make out the silhouettes of men with small lanterns walking around on...something...in the middle of the sea. Certainly neither ship nor island.

"You glimpsin' something, big guy?" Sidewinder asks.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2015-10-12 15:15:41
"Strange... but yes, there is something down there. I can't tell what it is." Toshiba waves the others down and starts a shallow dive towards the lanterns.
Gatac 2015-10-12 15:25:57
(Toshiba's Sneak: 1d20+22 = 29)

Now, normally one would figure that the flamethrower feet of the Oni's armor would make Toshiba easy to spot in such a dark night...but, as a seasoned ninja knows, people only too rarely actually look up. Toshiba easily hovers closer and closer, while Kiara circles overhead.

The men beneath are standing on - well, Toshiba's second hunch was right, it's no island, but he's no longer so sure that it's not a ship. It is metal, that much is certain by how the light of the lanterns glints off its surface, but only the scarcest bit of it is actually visible (for a given value of Oni-enhanced "visible"). In shape and configuration, it reminds Toshiba of nothing so much as a barrel of oil thrown into a stream, barely keeping from sinking as it snakes down the river. The impression is further strengthened by how it bobs up and down in the small waves, then rolls side to side - the men are barely staying on top of it by means of thin metal cables strung across its surface, to which they cling for their dear lives.

Whatever this thing is, it was not built to be sailed like any ship Toshiba knows of. Which begs the question: what the Hells is it doing out here in the place of a ship?
Admiral Duck Sauce 2015-10-14 11:50:14
"It doesn't look like a capsized ship, although I'm no sailor. I'm going to go ask them what they are doing." And with that, Toshiba plummets towards the... thing.

"I say there! Do not vessels usually extend farther above the surface? Art thou in need of aid?"
MikeS 2015-10-17 17:16:14
Takao nods a greeting to Kichirou as he enters, expecting him to come over.

When Kichirou instead leaves again almost immediately, Takao is surprised.

"What's with him?", he asks Hetechi.
Gatac 2015-10-18 04:18:06
"...how I wish I knew," Hetechi responds, while a servant stands nearby to hold out a long-necked bottle of wine for approval. Hetechi nods to the wine, then turns back to Takao. "I hate to impose, but could you go check up on him?"
MikeS 2015-10-31 16:02:42
Takao shrugs. "Why not?"

He rises and heads to the door. A suspicion is forming as he walks. "When this party is done, it'll be time for a little chat with Nikochi", he mutters under his breath.
Gatac 2015-11-09 12:08:57
(1d20+5 = 22)

As Toshiba descends further toward a landing, the men on the top of the ship(?) do something he really didn't expect them to do - they cheer and holler. Toshiba touches down and immediately finds his reflexes sorely tested, grasping for the safety wire just as a wave rolls the entire ship side to side. One of the men - a sailor with sunburnt skin peeking out at the collar of his foreign-made oilskin clothes - grapples his way along the line, while the others clear the way and scramble to get back into the belly of the vehicle.

"Ahoy, Oni!" the sailor calls out. "Never knew the East Winds blew in your kind, but any port in a storm and any answer to our prayers! Our compass is blown and we're taking on water, can you see us to land? We'll pay your price, if only you'll save our lives!"

Gatac 2015-11-09 12:21:28
Takao's step through the door takes him outside the hustle and bustle, and with the door closed behind him, the din of the party grows distant. Excellent soundproofing in this mansion. Construction merits aside, Kichirou didn't stick around to drink his cup in this hallway, but judging by the drops and splashes of alcohol on the ground, he won't be getting to drink anything if he gains too much more distance.

A clank, a shout, a curse. Takao just has to follow the noise, and within seconds, he finds the young man in a little side room, one of the auxiliary kitchens where literal hot spares of the buffet items are kept to replenish the big table when needed. Kichirou was hands deep in the pheasant, but then the cup slipped from his hand and burst on the ground - or, considering the blood on his foot, maybe he stepped on it in a fit of sudden rage. Either way, he does not look at all happy to see Takao.

"My hero!" Kichirou mocks; the stench of drink on his breath sprints across the room to Takao's nose in a mere instant. Kichirou rips some shreds of meat off the pheasant carcass and throws them at Takao's feet. "Eat! Be merry! It's a party!""
Gatac 2015-11-09 12:38:33
Ozaki's first knock is met by an incredibly enthusiastic "Yes!" from Yukio, then the second and third summon no further words, just heavy breaths and the sound of jostling from inside. Ozaki stands aside, knowing better than to barge in, and his patience is rewarded a minute later when Yukio opens the door for him, her kimono not on quite entirely straight. "Begging your pardon, Lady Matsumoto, Lady Kamura," he says. "Hetechi-dono is about to give his speech and has requested your presence."
"Of course, of course," Kirika replies, and quickly turns to straighten up Yukio's kimono. "We shouldn't keep our host waiting, love," she says with a smirk.
"I wouldn't dare," Yukio says.
"There is still time to freshen up, if you wish to," Ozaki adds, pointing to a little cart he's wheeled down the hallway. There is a stack of damp steaming towels on it, dripping from a rack into a metal pan at the bottom of the cart. The cart also includes a little shelf with various small glass bottles.
"I don't know, I rather like my current perfume," Kirika whispers to Yukio.
"Thank you, Ozaki," Yukio says rather more loudly. "We'll be with you in a moment."
"Very good, Lady Matsumoto," Ozaki says. "I shall wait for you at the bottom of the stairs."

As Ozaki wanders off, Yukio tenderly reaches for one of the towels, grabs it, kneads it in her hand for a moment and then wipes it over her face. Then, just for kicks, she shoves it a little higher, covering her hair and face, then takes her hands off it and turns to Kirika, making a little "Ta-daaa!" motion with her arms.

"A daring new statement," Kirika replies with a smile, taking the same towel and dabbing her own face before leaving it draped over the cart's handle. "Now, let's partake in our host's main event."
"Let's," Yukio agrees.

Downstairs, Kirika and Yukio follow the waiting Ozaki back to the main hall. The sound of music filters through the heavy doors and turns into a full-fledged ensemble once the door is opened. However, despite the much-grown crowd, some of whom are dancing to the live music, the vibe inside the room is clearly off, small groups sticking to one another and not exactly a lot of laughter in the air despite the servants rushing to equip every empty hand with a chalice of alcoholic drink. Even Hetechi seems flustered as he rushes from servant to servant, whispering last-minute orders to try to get the party back on track. All that, and then there's a very noticeable Takao-shaped hole in the human landscape, too.

Kirika moves to intercept Hetechi. "Problems?"
Hetechi sighs. "Oh, it's...nothing you need to concern yourselves with. Your friend Takao is handling it, it's just Kichirou in one of his moods again." He grabs a cup being held out to him by a servant and raises it. "Let's not keep everyone waiting. If you would give me some room, please..."

As the ensemble winds down its latest musical bit and the dance floor clears, Hetechi makes his move. Using a hefty ring on his left hand, Hetechi knocks against the metal chalice in his other hand, producing a clear ringing sound that catches the attention of the entire room. "A moment of your time, my friends!" Hetechi calls out, his voice well-accustomed to the projection needed for public speaking. "It is my pleasure to welcome you all tonight to this celebration. I have gathered you here tonight for an announcement of such gravity that I just had to tell you in person." Hetechi hesitates for a moment, clears his throat, then gives Kirika an apologetic smile before continuing. "Many years ago, a shining light in the darkness was extinguished when Kamura-kensei was killed. His death marked the end of a long line of heroes...of legends, and the Empire was immeasurably poorer for the loss of the Kamura legacy in the days that followed. But...but I was recently privileged to learn that this was not the end. For years, his daughter - long thought killed in the chaos that was Kamura-kensei's death - labored to survive and to uphold her father's legacy. And now, after all this time, she has returned to this city to give us new hope, and I am deeply humbled to number her among my friends. Without further ado...it is my privilege and my very good honor to present to you - Lady Kirika Kamura!"

As the crowd tries to juggle clapping for her while holding on to their chalices, Hetechi steps back and motions for Kirika to step forward.

Kirika's eyes go wide and she squeezes Yukio's hand as Hetechi announces her presence to the whole room. Still, as Hetechi steps back, she dutifully steps forward, only remembering to let go of Yukio's hand at the last second. "Uh, hello!" she says, and bows to the room. "It is a great honor to be received in such a way. I am proud to continue my family's legacy and strive to honor my father and my family's work every day." Her eyes dart around the room, looking for anyone that's less than pleased to see a Kamura still alive. "It is my hope that soon we will live in a safer and more fair Empire." She bows to Hetechi. "Thank you, High Lord."

The dominating emotion in the room is suprise/mild shock, balanced out by a bit of "Oh my Gods is this happening I have to tell my friends they're gonna be so jealous they missed it!", a dash of "Get on with it already" and, indeed, a couple of "You should have stayed dead"s, the faces of which Yukio makes it a point to remember. Hetechi returns the bow and steps back into the middle, relieving Kirika of her surprise center stage position. "How great it is to have you here tonight, Lady Kamura," Hetechi says, summoning another wave of cheers from the crowd. "And what a reason to celebrate! Let us not waste a drop of wine nor a morsel of food tonight, my friends - and ring in the summer solstice with our laughter!" He raises his cup. "To the Empire!"
Kirika raises a cup of her own and joins in on the toast, while her heart feels like it's going to jump out of her chest.
Yukio quickly holds on to Kirika as the toast dissolves into people finally getting to actually drink the wine, which inevitably leads to people finishing their drinks and heading for the now-opened buffet. This, in turn, gives Hetechi some breathing room to approach Kirika and Yukio. "My deepest apologies," Hetechi says. "I did not intend to put you onto the spot like this, Lady Kamura. It is just that...that I realized it was not the right moment to speak of Kichirou's return. I promised the crowd an announcement, and in the heat of the moment could think of no better topic than your arrival."
"It does complicate things considerably, but..." Kirika sighs, rolls her eyes - and smirks a little. "It feels good to be...me. To have people know who I am and no longer be hiding."
"I imagine you will not want for conversation this evening," Hetechi says. "That is, if you wish it. I do not intend to impose on you more than I already have."
"It wouldn't do otherwise," Kirika replies, and takes a sip of her drink. "Did Hiro put you up to this?"
"Not in person," Hetechi says. "But if you spend as much time with him as I have, his way of thinking does influence your decisions. In fairness, I must ask that you therefore grant him all credit for what good may come off my impulsive decision and reserve your scorn for me."
"I will think of something," Kirika replies with a wink, and slides her arm through Yukio's. "Shall we, love?"
"What's one more battle, if faced together with you, dearest?" Yukio replies.
"Oh, and try the teppanyaki shrimp!" Hetechi calls after them.

"And we will be together, love," Kirika replies, and turns to the first person to walk up to them, a somewhat star-struck young man. "Hello!" She returns his bow. "This is my significant other, Yukio Matsumoto."
Yukio squeezes Kirika a bit tighter at being introduced, but also bows to the guest. That guest, however, does not rise so much from his bow as he springs back up. He is clearly the son of a noble, plump and with his kimono tailored around him, while his bowl-like haircut does little to take away from the sheer roundness of his face. "I'm so honored to meet you, Kamura-kensei!" he gushes. "I have all the woodcuts at home, but I never thought I'd meet a Kamura! Oh! Would you please please draw your sword for me?" He holds out first his right, then his left hand. "Here! You can nick my finger to draw blood, and..." He starts fumbling for a handkerchief, which surely must be somewhere in the cavernous bag hanging by his side.
"My family has never gone in very much for samurai code," Kirika replies with a raised eyebrow. "You know this." She takes in a deep breath to buy time for her memory to dig up a quote as she slides Crane's Dance partly out of its scabbard. "My aunt Kaede was challenged about that once as she cleaned her scabbard and left her sword out. 'A sword is just a piece of metal. It is the wielder that is the weapon, and I have enough blood on my hands as it is.'" She takes a sip of her drink. "And then she beat the ronin with the scabbard." Kirika hears a laugh, either at the other end of the room or much, much further away. "He did walk away," she adds with a smirk.
"Oh, oh yes!" the boy says, bowing down to take in Crane's Dance - you can almost see the hand reaching for it before he forces himself to stop and stand up. "Um, it's..." He strains to think of another way or two to say "It's a great honor to meet you", but obviously fails. "Uh...oh! Lady Matsumoto, it is of course also a great honor to meet you! I've heard many things about your father!"
"Yes, I'm...I'm sure you have," Yukio replies, leading the conversation into another dead end.
Kirika smiles politely in the awkward silence for a moment, then bows again. "It is a pleasure to meet you as well...I didn't get your name?"
"Oh!" the boy says, bowing deeper than her. "I'm Noboru Nobirata. You know, Noboru Seaweed? My father owns the fisheries along the east coast. But, uh, my friends call me Nobi Nobi, Kamura-kensei."
"Well...Nobi," Kirika says, "it was good to meet you." She bows, and waits for him to get the hint.
Nobi waits for a moment, then does get the hint and bows very deeply. "It was...it was most triumphant to meet you, Kamura-kensei! I hope we will meet again! I'm always at the best parties, so I'm sure we will!" Having finished announcing that this is going to recur unless Kirika abstains from high society, he wanders away, though not without turning and waving to Kirika and Yukio one more time on the way to the buffet. This, in turn, prompts Yukio to take a big swig from her cup.
"I think he's sweet," Kirika says. "Maybe if he would focus more on his training..."
"Oh, I happen to know an excellent place for that, far away from all these parties," Yukio opines.
"What about..." Kirika leans in close. "What about when Toshi is Emperor? And you are his Empress? I would think you would be worried about...all of that."
"Excuse me!" comes a woman's voice from the side. "Excuse me!"

Kirika turns, her eyes leading the way. The woman coming into view is short, even by average sizes in the room, and even the tall heels on her shoes cannot make up for the difference. This, however, in no way diminishes the ferocity of her gestures with the closed fan she clutches in her left hand. "What it is that you think you're doing here, waving your weapon around like this?" Her face crinkles. "And dressed like that, too."
"Excuse me?" Kirika asks, adding confusion to her voice to cover her guard raising.
"Excuse you indeed!" the woman says, pointing her fan at Kirika. "Why, I certainly don't know how things are done out in the...provincial parts of the Empire, but around here nobody carries deadly weapons - and women are expected to show some class." She casts a disapproving glance at Yukio, which only intensifies as Yukio's embrace of Kirika tightens. "Look in a mirror sometimes and see what you've done to yourselves! Heed my words, no eligible young man will look twice at you even when you do come to your senses!"
"Pardon me, Ma'am," Kirika says, her voice taking on a similar sharpness to her sword. "Let me introduce you to the love of my life, Yukio Matsumoto."
"And who will sire your children?" the woman asks in a huff. "Hm? Hm?! Have you thought even one second beyond your childish infatuation and confusion? What kind of man would take you as his own?"
"Actually, Ma'am, I'm already married," Yukio says. "But he's fine with our arrangement. Maybe you'd like to tell him what you just told us - or we could step outside and settle this right here. I doubt it'd take up much of your time."
"What!? You would threaten me? Why, I never!" the woman screeches, opening her fan to flap some air at her open mouth as she turns and stomps off.
"That wasn't very nice," Kirika says as she watches her leave. "At least she didn't try to stab me."
"Some attacks are more subtle than others," Yukio says. "Though I shudder to use the word 'subtle' in conjunction with this...this oshiroi baba."
"You can't seriously be hurt by what she said, love," Kirika said, rubbing Yukio's hand between hers.
"I'm not saying she could hit me with an attack as clumsy as hers," Yukio says. "I reserve the right to think ill of her, though."
"Oh, in that case, agreed," Kirika says, and takes Yukio's cheeks in her hands. "Let's show her how wrong she is. Kiss me, love."

Yukio quickly does so, eliciting a few hoots and whistles from the crowd. Kirika holds the kiss, waiting for Yukio to break away first. Yukio does, reluctantly, break the kiss eventually - and turns to find Lord Hetechi standing next to them, projecting a "These are my guests, do not fuck with them" aura that quiets the crowd around them. He holds out a plate of still-steaming shrimp, finely seasoned and glistening. "I really must insist you try the shrimps," he says. "That will give me a moment to apologize once more to you for the situation I put you in."
Kirika picks one up, and is about to pop it in her mouth when she smirks and offers it up to Yukio instead. Yukio gladly and gently snaps the piece of shrimp straight from Kirika's fingers.
"The apology I prepared is starting to feel less warranted," Hetechi says with a smirk. "You two do love a bit of attention, don't you."
"More that we enjoy being what we are, not what others want us to be," Kirika replies, never breaking Yukio's gaze. "After so many years of hiding that away, it feels good to be myself."
"It does, doesn't it," Hetechi says with a wink. This seems to catch the ire of the loudmouthed woman, who now stomps straight past the trio and dramatically throws open the door leading to the mansion's front exit. "And it seems you're helping me curate my guest list," Hetechi adds dryly.
"It seems you will have no shortage of guests still," Kirika replies. She turns to Hetechi, but keeps her arm looped through Yukio's. "Come, High Lord. Since you have introduced me to all your guests, the least you can do is introduce them to me."
"I suppose that much is owed," Hetechi says.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2015-11-09 13:25:46
"My price may be steep, but 'tis well worth it when balanced against thine lives!" Toshiba shouts. "Steerest thou true and follow mine famous feet of fire!" With that, he takes off again, surprisingly feeling more stable with nothing underfoot than on that heaving vessel.

"We'll find somewhere close but safe," Toshiba tells Sidewinder once they're airborne. "Leverage what they know and possibly gain some allies against Ikishi to boot."
Gatac 2015-12-15 13:38:17
Somewhere Close (But Safe)
0058 Western Australian Time
(Wait, what's Australia? Who cares, it's been way too long since the last time zone gag. It's been way too long since the last post. Oh, go suck on a viper.)
---

Sailing this close to the Imperial islands, finding one big enough to drop anchor at is no big feat - not accidentally running into one is the real problem. Toshiba's natural sense of direction and sight beyond sight (well, okay, 0th generation night vision, but let's not quibble) helps him pick out an approach to a wave-whipped basalt rock that juts out of the sea, but helpfully also includes a small lagoon with altogether more agreeable wave states. As the peculiar vehicle draws closer, it seems to...what's the word for when a ship does the opposite of sinking? Well, it spouts water and steam like a surfacing whale, exposing more of its bulbous metal body and brass fittings as it makes for shallower water, the odd wave here and there tossing it from side to side. As the entry hatch on top opens again, Toshiba and Sidewinder get a dose of the extremely loud steam engine as it labors to push the vessel to and up the black sand of the small beach. Several sailors climb out of the top hatch with grappling hooks in hand and deftly make their way off the deck, hooking the metal grapples into sturdy-looking rock crevices and shouting back - in Hanse - for somebody to tighten the chains. Little by little, the vessel pulls tighter to the beach, until it is about a third of the way onto land and no longer rolls from side to side in the surf.

The vessel, then. It's not just iron-clad, but wholly made of black metal, big plates fixed together with countless rivets in the shape of the world's most overfed humpback whale. There is no analog to a whale's mouth to be spotted, and its tail sports a rather large water screw, and there's a big tower mounted on its back, and the fins jutting down from each side terminate in long skids that are clearly meant to protect the delicate equipment against beaching and running aground, and Toshiba highly doubts that there have ever been a half-dozen smartly dressed sailors inside a singular humpback whale, but otherwise, yeah, uncanny resemblance.

The man with the oilskin steps forward, donning the proverbial NOICE HAT - a peaked cap of vaguely Hanse-ish design, wear-softened fabric stiffened by a truly excessive amount of what looks like gold (or gold-plated) decorations that run from a center sigil of some sort along the rim to either side. Despite the foreign uniform, however, there's something distinctively Southern Islands about him.

"Nice weather we're having tonight, Oni!" he says, extending a hand for Toshiba to shake. "The name's Okita. Thanks for guiding us in - we barely had enough steam left to blow the tanks and get up here. Name your price, we'll pay it gladly."

Okita - not an unfamiliar name to the Oni. But not this man, somebody...somebody from the past. Grandfather, grand-grandfather? Same firm handshake.
MikeS 2015-12-16 00:09:23
"Is the swamp still haunting you, Kichirou?" Takao asks quietly.

"I thought Nikochi's escapades were mere charlatanerie, but I have since fought some of the spirits that he spoke of. You might be possessed by one of them."

Takao frowns, scarcely believing he just actually said that. Of course the kami were real, real enough to pray to, anyway, but that was supposed to be the extent to which any of those creatures got involved in the lives of mortals.
Gatac 2015-12-16 15:24:46
Kichirou's eyes widen. "One of them?" he mutters. "One of them?!"

His quaking hand snakes for the nearest large knife.

"They all want out, Takao," he says, eyes staring off into the distance.
MikeS 2015-12-16 21:02:15
Takao's motion looks unhurried as he reaches out for Kichirou's arm and gently, but firmly, removes it from the knife.

"Ok, how many? Are they saying anything about how we might get them out?"

"Nikochi has left the swamp. He's not here now, but he should be back very soon. He can do some more of his strange magic and exorcise them."

"Or... we could try my way. It'll hurt and probably won't work, but it'll happen sooner."
Gatac 2015-12-17 14:44:36
Kichirou is going to kick Takao.

To hell of it is, Takao can't see it. That is, there's no sign in the young dancer's thin body, no telltale muscle twitch, no weight-shifting, none of the distinctive tells a student of the martial arts would recognize as "roundhouse incoming, be on guard".

But Kichirou is going to kick Takao. Takao just knows.

...how does he know that?

"You...you can help?" Kichirou mutters, still betraying no hint of attacking his samurai friend. If anything, in this moment, he looks and sounds most like Takao knows him from back at the mill - scared and confused, yes, but no longer at all...belligerent, like the drunk asshole he was acting as just a minute ago. This Kichirou wouldn't lay a finger on anyone.

But Kichirou is going to kick Takao. That's as sure as the sun and the moon and the endless waves of the ocean.
Gatac 2015-12-20 04:16:43
Hetechi's first introduction is to a tall fellow whose beard has not yet had the time to go grey, an unkempt look that clashes rather strongly with his fine, if somewhat disorderly clothes.

"Lady Kamura, may I introduce you to Yamada-san, our fair city's greatest poet," Hetechi says, one hand around Kirika's shoulders while the other sweeps out and all but coerces the tall man to give her a slight bow. "He's currently working on a five-book cycle about the manifold nature of the universe itself. Most insightful."
"But what does anyone really know?" Yamada says, not quite looking at either of them. "We are all merely foolish children playing in the garden of the gods."
"My personal experience says there is a good deal of truth to that," Kirika says, and returns the bow.
Yamada sighs. "Personal experience is merely the snare that catches our souls on the road to enlightement like so many a spring hare," he says. "And truth, oh, don't speak its name; it is a most coy animal, liable to flee at the first sight of those who seek it."
Kirika squeezes Yukio's hand to help her keep from laughing. "Yes, well, I look forward to reading your works."
"Reading?" Yamada says, staring off into the distance. "How can our souls possibly speak to each other with something so crass as pictures painted on dead trees?"
"Too true, my friend, too true," Hetechi says. "Please let us know when your next show takes place."

Yamada waves his hand at Hetechi - at one of the seven most powerful men in the city and the guy who owns the whole damn island - as if dismissing a monk asking for a donation. Hetechi's smile doesn't falter, but he does silently lead Kirika and Yukio away.

"Please excuse him," Hetechi says. "He's rather unbearable when he's sober. Which, fortunately, isn't too often."
"I want you to slap me if I ever sound like that, love," Kirika says to Yukio.
"Is that the only way I'm allowed to slap you?" Yukio replies.
"By no means," Kirika replies coyly, then looks to Hetechi. "Who is next?"

"The talk of the town, after you, of course," Hetechi says, leading Kirika and Yukio into a tight gaggle of people who seem to be paying rapt attention to the words of...a familiar voice. "A rare combination of engineering genius and salesman," Hetechi adds, and then you're through the gaggle.
"Madam, please," Ueki Kogin says, a smile on his face and a cup in his hand. "Owning a gonne does not make anyone a murderer; why, it's the perfect companion for any lady and a gentleman's most prudent insurance. It is easy to learn, easy to maintain, effective at great range, and I've got two of them stuffed under my kimono at all times. You try that with a kata-heeeeeey!" He grins at Kirika and Yukio. "Uh, hey! You...uh...you enjoying the party?"
"Oh, very much so," Kirika says, and bows to Ueki. "High Lord, Kogin-san and I are already well acquainted. Staying out of trouble, I hope?"
"He he he he oh you're such a kidder Kamura-kensei what are you talking about," Ueki laugh-whispers, but the crowd seems on his side for the moment. "Why, even Kamura-kensei has availed herself of my expertise," he says, grubbing for a for Oohs and Aahs from the crowd. "No shame in it!" Ueki adds. "These days, you just can't take the old ways for granted. Everything's changing. Really, not everybody needs to have a gonne, but only a fool wouldn't at least consider it."
"Let me drag him out of here by his ear," Yukio whispers to Kirika as the crowd cheers Ueki.
"No need, love," Kirika whispers back.

"It is true," Kirika replies, and steps up next to Ueki. "I might not carry one myself, but I have friends that prefer his expertise and designs." She leans next to Ueki. "You should know that I am very proud of you, Ueki," she whispers.
"And I'm grateful," Ueki whispers back before the sales pitch resumes. "There you have it, folks! Even Kamura-kensei is telling us to go with the times and I think she knows a litt-le more about the art of combat than anyone else here."
"Begging your pardon," comes a man's voice from the side. Kirika turns to see a young warrior, maybe a year or two older than her, march up to them - his kimono is plain, but his steps are clearly drilled. "A thousand apologies for my rude interruption, Kamura-kensei. I wish to beg of you a mere moment of your time."
Hetechi nods to him. "Ah, Urushi-senshi," he says, by way of introduction. "Lady Kamura, a fellow traveler on the way of the blade."
"Of course," Kirika says, and turns his way - taking Ueki's cup out of his hands as she does so.

Finding a quiet corner, Urushi bows deeply to Kirika. "Kamura-kensei, it is my wish that you know who I am. I am Urushi Danzo, son of Urushi Kaito, 66th sword of The Dragon's Claw in service to Lord Shira. I wish to inquire of you if you would have time this week to visit our dojo and pray with us."
"To whom, if I may ask?" Kirika asks.
"To our ancestors," Urushi says. "Forgive me, Kamura-kensei, I cannot speak more of it here. You will see when you get there." He sighs. "You would honor my father greatly with your presence."
"Of course," Kirika says.

The name "Urushi" seems vaguely familiar to Kirika. The Urushi clan used to be kind of a big deal in the western regions, hundreds of years ago, until a peasant revolt sent them fleeing to the east coast. They never recovered their wealth and have languished in obscurity ever since. Kirika only knows the name because there is, of course, a Kamura legacy story where the bad guy is the second son of an Urushi clan samurai.

"Our dojo is in the western shadow of the hill district," Urushi says. "My father and I will await you there tomorrow, if that is convenient for you."
"I will make the time," Kirika says. "It is good to meet you, Urushi-san."
Urushi seems quiet for a moment. "It is...it is an honor to meet you, Kamura-kensei," the young warrior says. "I bid you goodnight." He bows to Hetechi. "Thank you for your hospitality, my Lord. It means the world to us."
"Don't mention it," Hetechi says. "Take care, Danzo."
"I shall," Urushi says, then makes for the exit with heavy steps.
Kirika watches him go. "Do you know much about him and his father?" she asks Hetechi.
Hetechi gives Kirika a 'Do you really want to hear this?' look. "I know...I am aware of a few facts. But I do not know enough to answer the questions you will have, and I do not wish to...prejudice you."
"They hold some of my family's land," Kirika says. "That is what it is, isn't it."
"They do, actually," Hetechi says, after looking around to make sure nobody's paying too much attention to them. "But there's a more immediate...issue." He sighs again. "No sense beating around the bush any further. Kaito is under house arrest under suspicion of murder."
"Of?" Kirika asks.
"A consort," Hetechi says. "Which is the only reason I know of it at all. Her family has petitioned me to make sure that justice is seen. That is...not my department, but what do you tell a grieving mother when she asks you to avenge her daughter? In any event, I've taken to...supporting both families to the best of my abilities."
"Can't you just petition Lady Ishikawa?" Yukio asks.
"For what?" Hetechi counters. "Lean on the courts to let a murderer go - or to condemn him without a trial? Assuming that she would ever consent to either."
"Hrmph," Kirika says. "Then I'll have to see what he wants. Perhaps he wants to save us all some trouble." She turns back to Hetechi and takes Yukio's hand again. "Who is next?"

"Hrm," Hetechi says. "Some kind of party this is turning out to be. My apologies. Why don't we" - he looks around - "Lady Yakushi." He nods toward a heavyset older woman who has long since traded her cup of wine for a cup of tea. "She's a renowned matchmaker, responsible for many happy marriages. I think you'll like her."
"I think that this has been a great success, Lord," Kirika says. "Don't feel bad on our account." She turns to Lady Yakushi and bows with Yukio. "Good evening, my Lady."
Yakushi returns the bow. "And a good evening to you, too, Lady Kamura, Lady Matsumoto," she says, then gives them a little smile. "You've made quite the stir tonight. Are you invited to many parties? If so, I've been going to the wrong ones."
"We have been...busy," Kirika says politely. As if on cue, Yukio embraces her dearest from behind.
"Naturally," Yakushi says. "I don't know much about the life of a swordmaster, but I can believe that it is busy." She looks at Yukio. "And I can see that you two are the last people in this room who need my expertise."
Kirika smiles. "You are too kind, Lady Yakushi." She looks over her shoulder to Yukio. "But yes, I feel confident that I have found someone very special."
"As do I," Yukio adds.
"Then what is there to waste words on?" Yakushi says with a nod. "There is no treasure greater than love, and I am blessed to have witnessed it so many times."

"Bah, love," Yamada murmurs from across the room, loud enough for them to hear. "Don't talk to me about love. Love is..."

"...an animal metaphor of some kind, I'm sure," Yakushi says, drowning out Yamada. "So! Are you going to stay here, or are you just passing through?"
"We, and another...very special friend of ours plan to stay for a long while," Kirika says cautiously.
"So two people in one bed wasn't complicated enough for you?" Yakushi asks, then laughs quietly. "Oh, forgive me, forgive me. Threesomes just tend to summon some...awkward memories."
"Well...we would both do anything for him,"' Kirika says.
Yukio suppresses a smirk that turns into a less-suppressed giggle. "We would," she says, trying to recover.
"Indeed," Yakushi says. "Well then. We could speak more of this, but not in polite company. If you do encounter any challenges or simply wish to...expand your horizons, feel free to look me up."
"Perhaps we will," Kirika says with a bow. She looks at Hetechi, who is smirking. "What?"
"Oh, nothing," Hetechi says. "I just like to surround myself with like-minded people."
"We're not always so discriminating, are we, rooster?" Yakushi says.
"Milady, please," Hetechi says. "Let us not corrupt the minds of the youth so brazenly."
"You're right, of course," Yakushi says. "Subtle corruption is much more fun."
Kirika just blushes and rests her cheek against Yukio's. "Next?"