Seven Devils

punkey 2015-08-20 12:51:05
"I think Copperhead would be the ideal choice to represent the Shadowwatch on this task," Kirika says, nodding his way. "Sidewinder is better suited to putting Tsukareta at ease."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2015-08-20 13:12:20
"Begging Ikishi won't work. Himiko is leverage. She's not even a person to Ikishi, and we need to remember that," Toshiba adds. "I agree with Kirika that lying to Shira is only a short-term patch. Any stalling and the ruse falls apart, regardless of the morality of the tactic. Beseeching a dragon spirit seems the less risky move, as much as it must hurt Copperhead to hear those words. While we are out with Nikochi, why not let Copperhead and Yu continue their traditional approach to curing Himiko?"

Toshiba runs his hand over one of the newly-stained chairs. "Can we do this without Shira?" he muses. "Surely Ikishi knows we will be running in circles trying to undo her affliction instead of adapting to her attack and pressing forward. Would Shira back Ikishi after what she did even if we cannot cure Himiko?" Toshiba makes the question rhetorical in an instant, answering, "Yes. He is a father. Ikishi could dangle the flimsiest of hope and he would back her in an instant. Himiko must be cured or she must be dead."
punkey 2015-08-20 13:20:16
"Which is why I propose we act on two fronts: some of us visit this Oracle with Nikochi, and some of us attempt to sway Tsukareta," Kirika says.
Gatac 2015-09-05 04:57:15
*shot of Hiro Homi outside sitting on a stump, smoking a lengthy pipe while the sun blazes across the sky, to the sound of a woman soulfully wailing WOAH-OAHHHHHH*

--

Homi said he'd "handle" getting a chance to speak with Tsukareta, and as another colorful carriage pulls to a halt outside the factory grounds a few hours later, it becomes clear that it is indeed "handled": the carriage deposits High Lord Hetechi in what is unquestionably the finest kimono you've ever seen, made of jade-color silk so fine it glitters like silver in the afternoon sun. (Fun History Fact: William Randolph Hearst may have started the whole "fashion magazine" industry with Harper's Bazaar.) The smile on his face is broad as he walks over to embrace his old friend, then turns to the assembled do-gooders.

"Hello, my friends," he says. "I just came by to tell you that you're invited to a dinner party at my mansion tonight, in recognition of and in thanks for saving my dear Kichirou. I think you'll also find the rest of the guest list very appealing. Dear old Tsukareta really does work like a poor misused draft horse; it was too easy to remind him of all the dinners he had missed and get him to accept. I hope you find him ready to be convinced."
"And how is Kichirou doing?" Homi asks.
"Oh, he's still recovering from his ordeal," Hetechi comments, smile faltering slightly, but it returns when he looks to Takao. "But I do hope he'll feel up to dinner tonight, so he can thank you in person for his rescue."
punkey 2015-09-05 22:58:58
Kirika nods with a smile, making a note to talk with Hetechi in private.

---

Hetechi’s not one for overstaying his welcome; having delivered his invitation in person, he soon makes to get back into his carriage to return to his estate for preparations.
“Lord Hetechi, a moment, please?” Kirika says, motioning for him to follow her out the side door towards the small workspace for the gardeners.
The High Lord turns to regard Kirika for a moment, but then grants her a warm smile. “Of course, Lady Kamura,” he says, falling in behind her. “What can I do for you?”
Kirika waits until she slides the door shut behind her. “How is Kichirou, really?” she asks. “Toshiba said he was...behaving differently when he was rescued.”
“He’s...marked by his experience,” Hetechi says. “Yes, I’ve noticed that he seems to behave differently. At times he speaks with a...ruthlessness, as if he’s forgotten his upbringing. His temper is short, too. I’m told that this was to be expected, though. So I will try to be patient with him, and I hope you will extend him that courtesy if he should offend you in any way.”
“Of course,” Kirika replies. “I know well the trauma that such experiences can bring. If you want, I could speak with him.”
“If you would?” Hetechi says, not quite sure if he’s really asking this of Kirika. “I...I think that might be a good idea. Just, please, tread carefully.”
“Do not worry, Lord,” Kirika says with a bow. “I was a geisha not too long ago, and quite a good one.”
“Hmm,” Hetechi says, regarding Kirika from head to toe, more as a seasoned hedonist than as Kirika’s usual past clientel. “I would not have guessed from your build, but I’m sure there are those who do look for distinction in such matters. Your manners and voice, though, do speak to your past vocation.” He pauses briefly. “I hope you forgive me this frank assessment. Speaking merely as one professional entertainer to another.”
“No offense taken,” Kirika replies, and smirks. “I...looked very different. The woman you see before you is a recent development.”
Hetechi raises an eyebrow. “The Kamura family has a long and distinguished history - or at least the colorful stories told about it. I assume this is connected to that legacy?”
“Indeed,” Kirika replies. “I...my family loves me, very much.”
“That much is obvious,” Hetechi says, smiling again. “You understand then, that there is only one thing in this world that means anything to me, and that is Kichirou’s love. The other perks of my position are...enjoyable diversions, but what good is a hoard of gold - it cannot warm my bed. You seem to have arrived at a similar conclusion with Lady Matsumoto.”
Kirika blushes. “I have. I would do anything to make her happy - and I will do whatever it takes to help Kichirou find his way on the path back to happiness.”
Hetechi nods. “We understand each other, I see,” he says. “I very much look forward to seeing you and your friends tonight. And with any luck, we will see an end to this chaos soon.”
“And a happy one at that,” Kirika adds, bowing again with a smile. “Until we meet again, Lord.”
“Until then,” Hetechi replies. He gives Kirika one more glance from head to toe. “Practically speaking, you wear men’s size clothing - a doubly large size? 53 sun should be about right, yes?”
“Yes,” Kirika replies. “But I doubt a man’s cut would have a 35 sun bust.”
Hetechi smirks. “It is a challenge,” he says. “Fortunately, I know many good tailors. We’ll figure it out.”
“And a 32 sun waist,” Kirika adds. “I am still a woman under all this badass, you know.” She smirks back.

edited by Gatac on 2015-09-09 15:09:02
Gatac 2015-09-09 14:12:17
If there's one word you will come to associate with Lord Hetechi's dinner date, it is "comfort". From providing fresh clothes (and surely Kirika must appreciate the effort made to procure a fine silk kimono for her muscular frame) and the services of his personal retinue of hairdressers, beauticians and massage artists, to having you collected in his private carriage, whisked away on his private pleasure yacht to his private island estate, to being led on a gentle guided tour of the mansion with refreshments and a sumptuous place to sit never more than five feet away, it's a seemingly endless, perfectly choreographed show of extreme courtesy and consideration, almost lulling in fact, and it's all before you even get to meet Hetechi. When you do, it's in his banquet room, where dozens of servants are already carting in whole trays of delicacies while exotic fragrant candles and a live band provide the right atmosphere.

Lord Hetechi knows how to party. He, as Holger would no doubt put it, keeps it rockin'. (In fact, if anyone could honestly appreciate just how damn much effort Hetechi puts into making everything just so when it comes to celebration, it would probably have to be the son of the Count of Champagne.)

"Welcome, my friends," Hetechi says, warmly embracing Hiro Homi, giving Kirika a respectful bow and - wow, he actually holds out his hand for Takao to shake, genuine gratitude all too plain on his face. "It is my very good honor to entertain you here tonight."

---

The last thing the technically-kinda-still-Ayami ninjas want to see - especially after carrying their Shadowwatch counterparts and "Never Shuts Up" Nikochi with them for hours over open sea - is the Temple Of The Arduous Truth, which so far looks a damn lot more arduous than truthful. Okay, so the flight skipped the 512 Steps To Knowledge, and even the legendarily stoic monks seem hesitant to make you face the ritual "trying to drive away the petitioners with wooden sticks" ceremony, but still, this is the shabbiest, starkest temple you've ever been to, and you grew up on a mountain where the temple was literally a wooden hut with the old gods crudely etched into the boards. This place, though, seems to be hewn completely from stone bricks in sizes just big enough to make them a pain in the ass to haul around by hand but too small to make the use of simple machines practical.

"What'd I say, friends?" Nikochi says, spreading his arms as if to force you to appreciate something only he could possibly feel affectionate for. "We are just minutes away from the ultimate answers to -"
"No," one of the monks says. "There are no answers here. Turn back."
"You really should," another monk adds. You notice that rather than the clean-shaven bald type, these guys are letting everything grow out - hair, beards, fingernails. In exchange for that, they're not wearing robes either, just loincloths, and even that seems more bare courtesy than actual devout belief. There's a third monk behind the two-man welcoming committee, and he only has a scraggly little mustache to show for it - either bad ancestry or a recent acolyte to the cult, then.
"I told you, friends, they are strange," Nikochi says, trying to keep spirits up. (Hah! Spirits? Get it? Get it?) "But the Oracle will -"
"Ruin your life," Monk Nr. 1 says.
"You don't want his answers." Nr. 2 says.
"Nooooo," the third guy says, but that gets him a mean look from the other two, so he shuts up and looks down at the dusty ground. Oh, add toenails to things the monks let grow out. Ew.
"Are you deterred?" Nr. 1 says. "Do you now question your...quest? Abandon it here, foolish ones, and never return."
"You will curse the day you came here," Nr 2. says.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2015-09-16 12:25:31
"I already do," Toshiba says, looking askance at the monks' feet. "But fear not - ruined lives are our stock in trade."
Gatac 2015-09-16 15:27:04
"Um..." Monk Nr. 1 says. "But...you..."
"Listen, wiseass," Monk Nr. 2 says, clearly having been at this the longest. "Everybody who comes here has a good fucking reason. You're not the first and the way this uncaring universe is going you won't be the last. I was in your place five years ago. Ha! You should have seen the fight the monks put up for me. And I mean literally, they tried to drag me back to my boat all the way down those steps you didn't have to climb. Ah, the good old times...but I got in, asked my question, got my answer, and now that I know with a hundred percent certainty that my purpose in life is nothing, I know I'm destined to fail at everything I try - like, you know, being a monk and trying to convince jackasses like you not to use the Oracle. But you know what? Fine. Go on. I won't keep you. Just get your tattoos and you'll be all set for your mystical audience."
"...tattoos?" Kagemaru dares to venture.

In reply, Monk Nr. 2 just blinks - showing elaborate tattoos on his eyelids, depicting a mixture of eyes and symbols that form the message "I have seen Truth".

"Yeah, next time I'll just lead with that," Monk Nr. 2 says. "We're not supposed to, but screw tradition. You can't talk people outta anything. Have you tried? No, you just have to show them exactly how much their stupidity is going to hurt. This is a free prediction, by the way: it'll hurt a lot. There. Now are you going to turn back?"
MikeS 2015-09-16 21:57:29
While Takao can appreciate the value of a good shave and haircut, the beautician is viewed with outright suspicion, and the massage artist eventually gives up. The silk kimono also doesn't feel right to Takao: too flimsy, not enough 'body',gaudy, barely suitable as nightgown. He reluctantly settles on one that is bland in comparison: a simply dark blue color without patterns.

Once on the boat, he switches from grumbling to stoic silence, and his mien doesn't lighten much upon the arrival at the mansion. When Hetechi shakes his hand, however, he returns the gesture with genuine friendliness. "How is Kichirou? He must have found the escape quite an ordeal", he inquires. "Oh, and, will there be, er, dancing tonight?" That question had some apprehension in it.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2015-09-17 09:33:21
Toshiba mostly believes a magic dragon spirit can answer questions from beyond this world, but he still eyes the monks suspiciously. He also believes in greed, and the monks have tweaked his 'scam sense'. "And I'm sure the tattoos require some sort of very expensive ink as well, don't they? And right after five easy installments of all our money, we can get needles jammed into our eyes and have this Truth that you seem so sure that we do not want."

He turns to Nikochi. "Do these monks speak the truth, or are they simply a more interesting variety of grifter?"
Gatac 2015-09-17 12:12:33
"They're truthful," Nikochi says.
"They're also wasting our time," Copperhead says.
Gatac 2015-09-18 01:14:42
"The Oracle answers one question and one question only for everyone," Monk Nr. 2 says. "Anyone without a fresh tattoo didn't get our approval. Anyone with an old tattoo has already gotten his answer."
"Hrm," Copperhead grumbles.
"Yeah, it's fun, everyone loves it, it's not a complete pain in our ass and we don't ever get complaints about it," Monk Nr. 2 says, sarcasm dripping from his chapped lips. "Now, would you please turn back and leave? I saw a boat come in half an hour ago, the first couple of poor idiots should be crawling up the stairs by now."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2015-09-18 10:37:49
"You could give us your approval without the messy tattoo business," Toshiba says. "Would that not be easier on everyone?"
Gatac 2015-09-18 14:37:59
Monk Nr. 2 gets that twitch in his eye, the one where you're never quite sure if it's gonna keep going for a half hour while the owner of that twitch sinks into a catatonic state, or if - alternatively - a sharp blade of some sort is going to seek carnal relations with your trachea. Toshiba's experience tends towards the latter, but his caution proves unneeded when the monk instead just throws up his arms.

"Fine!" he opines. "Piss on every single last tradition. What do I care. I have no purpose in life. I can't do anything right, including this."
"Um, brother..." Monk Nr. 1 begins.
"No! I'm no longer your brother!" Monk Nr. 2 complains. "Screw this! I'm gonna find the next hard rock and bash my head in. Oh, look! There's one over there! Wow, that was easy! Finally something I'm good at!"

As Monk Nr. 2 stalks away to...kill himself? Bemoan his cruel fate? Get drunk and screw some chicks, maybe?...Monk Nr. 1 meets your eyes with a wary look.

"He always was a bit high-strung about his answer," Monk Nr. 1 says. "Anyway, um...I think it's best if we do not waste each other's time any more than we have to. If you would follow me to the Oracle, then..."
"I'll stay here, friends," Nikochi says. "Maybe lighten that poor fellow's mood a little."
"Good luck," Copperhead says.

---

The cave of the Oracle is supposed to be entered with bandaged eyes - which might explain why the signage inside seems in need of some repair, though the guideropes on posts hewn into the stone would take you along a safe path through the winding pathways. Toshiba gets to check off another elaborate underground maze on his "been there, spelunked that" list, while the remaining ninjas follow in silence, until the last turn takes you into the cathedral cave.

Wow.

Just...wow.

The entire cave is alight in a faint blue shimmer from thousands of glittering crystals - and the origin of that light is a central pillar or pure crystal, a sapphire easily the size of a tree trunk, with veins of a silvery light inside that sparkle like forked lightning caught for all eternity. And then there's the Oracle - what at first seems a mere trick of light slowly uncoils from around the central pillar, revealing itself as the faint spirit shimmer of a grand dragon. Its body is slender and snakelike, and whatever limbs it may have once had have long since smoothed away, but the fur tip of its tail is big enough that you can see individual tufts moving as the tail beats to one side and then the other. Coming face to face with the spirit, you immediately note that its eyebrows fall down the side of his face, while its beard-whiskers seem to adjust their truly venerable length to just short of dragging along the ground as it slowly glides towards you, an expression of pure benevolence on its face.

"Oh, Great Oracle," Monk Nr. 1 says as he bows his head. "These strangers seek your guidance."
"Thank you, Tetsu," the dragon spirit answers, and it's not at all like you imagined a dragon would speak - it is quiet, unassuming, but so clear as if it was a man talking right into your ears. Toshiba glances to the side and notices...is Copperhead crying? As the monk leaves, the Oracle coils its tail underneath and settles down into it, as if sitting down on a plush pillow. "I bid you all a good day," the Oracle says. "Fear not for Hei's well-being; I've sent some spirits to calm him. But your friend's efforts to help will not go unappreciated. In any event, I'm glad you're here. If you would please indulge me for a moment, I must first attempt to ease your irritation in regard to the rituals of this place. The "One Question" rule was not my idea, and neither is its form of enforcement by my disciples. Before them, there were sadly many visitors whose thirst for answers could not be sated, and the more I tried to help them, the less able they grew to leave and face their own lives outside this cave. Some even starved to death rather than leave, such was their longing for truth. The ones who did manage to leave still stayed nearby, and became the first monks of the order that still guards this place. Eventually, they decided that the only way to save people from themselves was to strictly limit their access to the truth as I can divine it. One question, no exceptions - for if one desperate soul pleads her case to me such that I might answer two, what is to stop her from asking a third, or the next from doing the same?"

The Oracle lifts off and goes for a flying tour of the cave, curling around the rocks and crystals within.

"I do not know everything," the Oracle admits, "but I can find out anything. Observe every place at every time, even the depths of a soul or the workings of the Heavens. Truth is powerful like that, but it is not good that it might flow freely and become water on the lips of those whose thirst can never be quenched. If you give a man one truth, it can be the rock he builds his faith on, the guiding star in darkest night, a comforting voice in the depths of despair. But two leads to three leads to ten leads to a thousand truths, truths that will shackle him as surely as any chain - if not to this place or my voice in particular, then to a life lived in service or defiance of that truth, like poor Hei." The Oracle sighs softly. "There are moments when I wish I could tell a lie."

"It is not good that the monks do all these things to dissuade visitors on my behalf," the Oracle continues, "but it is difficult to disagree with their ends. You see - and what a joy it is to have visitors who can see this splendour - you see before you my weakened form, almost entirely devoid of substance. With the truth of my existence and appearance fading into further obscurity and myth, I fade, too...and one day soon, people will be free of my truth, and be altogether happier for it. Still, as long as I exist and questions are put to me, I will do my best to answer them truthfully."

The Oracle then glides around each of the ninjas, starting with Copperhead. "You would have picked the wrong pin, but that does not mean your idea was wrong," the Oracle tells him. "The center pin in her tortoise chakra is the knot that links Ikishi's dark power to her. Remove that, then bid Yu to proceed - she will know what to do."

It then floats around Sidewinder. "You have a good heart, giving up your question to find out about your best friend. But I'm afraid that no, there is no cure for what is broken in him. If the needle was ever removed from his brain, he would lose himself and you would all die. I'm sorry."

Kagemaru is next. "This Empire will fall - with the stroke of a pen, not the swing of a sword. But even when this duty ends, you will safeguard the people for as long as the sun casts a shadow on these lands."

Which brings the Oracle to Kiara. "Sorry to break it to you, but swords aren't the best way to kill people. They're not even in the top ten. But if you embrace the dragon spirit within you, you'll live to see Nr. 8 be invented. You'll know it when you see it."

And, finally...the Oracle swirls around Toshiba in silence, until it coils up in front of him. "Hmm," it says. "You are a strange one, Blue Oni. I've answered so many of your questions, and yet every time I see you come back none the wiser in a new body. What is it you wish to know now?"
Gatac 2015-09-18 14:51:52
MikeS wrote:

While Takao can appreciate the value of a good shave and haircut, the beautician is viewed with outright suspicion, and the massage artist eventually gives up. The silk kimono also doesn't feel right to Takao: too flimsy, not enough 'body',gaudy, barely suitable as nightgown. He reluctantly settles on one that is bland in comparison: a simply dark blue color without patterns.

Once on the boat, he switches from grumbling to stoic silence, and his mien doesn't lighten much upon the arrival at the mansion. When Hetechi shakes his hand, however, he returns the gesture with genuine friendliness. "How is Kichirou? He must have found the escape quite an ordeal", he inquires. "Oh, and, will there be, er, dancing tonight?" That question had some apprehension in it.

"Oh, he seemed alright when I last spoke to him," Hetechi says, a little worry in his smile. "Still a bit dour, but he did promise that he would come out and at least speak to you. I would ask, though, that you...refrain from pushing him too much. I've already experienced what happens when I chose my words without thought to his terrible experience, and...it is something I wish to avoid tonight. I feel awful for imposing in such a way, but I simply must beg this favor of you, Takao-senshi, for his sake." He blinks. "And of course there will be dancing tonight, but only for those who wish to. I would never force one of my guests to engage in anything they do not want. So, please, tell me of your wishes and I will see to it that they come true tonight."

With Takao occupying the attention of their host - and Yukio's hand stealthily occupying her lower back - Kirika has a moment to survey the room, and who else would she spot but Tsukareta, who's sitting at a small side table while the main one is still being fixed, already nursing a cup of fine drink, shoulders drawn high and eyes scanning the room in that "I said I'd come here but I never promised I'd enjoy it" kind of way.
punkey 2015-09-18 15:44:07
Kirika gives Yukio a peck on the cheek as she rubs her hand along her back. "Enjoy yourself, love - but I think that our friend would prefer I be in a less amorous mood when I talk to him."
Gatac 2015-09-18 16:04:55
Yukio's face betrays that she's slowly losing touch with the parts of her that could enjoy themselves without having a hand on her dearest, but after one last stealthy rub she lays off Kirika and saunters off in search of a drink, while Kirika takes a breath and approaches Tsukareta's table. The young engineer looks away, almost as if he doesn't want to notice her, but when it's absolutely clear she's coming to his table and not anywhere else, he snaps his head around as if just seeing her, all but jumps up from his chair - nearly spilling his drink in the process - then hastily climbs out from behind the chair and takes swift steps forward, holding out his hand for her to shake.

"Oh, ah, a good evening, Lady Kamura!" he says, obviously still working on that 'smile like it's not at gonnepoint' thing. "What, ah, what brings you here?"
Admiral Duck Sauce 2015-09-22 13:31:11
Toshiba's taken aback as the serpent reveals many other Onis have come here before him. And what good did the spirit's information do them? he wonders. These monks surely do not seem to enjoy the enlightenment they've sought. And yet, if this is truly something one can experience only once, it would be shameful to ignore it...

"Once Ikishi is defeated and Toshiro restored to power... what should I do?"
Gatac 2015-09-23 15:25:28
The Oracle chuckles as Toshiba poses his question.

"Always the clever one," it says. "The victory you speak of won't appeal to you, no matter how much they will tell you that you are a hero, but killing for hire and wandering the Empire will soon lose their luster, too. You should" - the Oracle pauses for a moment - "you should enjoy your life. Death will come for you one day in the guise of a friend; embrace it as such and don't lose yourself to regret. You will live and die as yourself, free from the Oni's wandering soul...I can promise you at least this much."