Vandal Squadron: On-Site Procurement - Chapter 2

Admiral Duck Sauce 2005-07-14 02:06:13
The officer suddenly resumes a friendly posture. "Done! Hand over the credits." He turns to the farmer. "Get out of here, I'll speak with you later."

---

"If those Imperials have what you need, may the Force be with you," is the merchant's reply.
CrazyIvan 2005-07-14 17:15:40
Aurelia smiles softly, as if suddenly hatching on an idea, and motions the officer aside with her best conspiratorial look.

"Of course, I'm also looking for a few other things while I'm here...I'd like it to be...descreet. Your clearly a man who gets things done. I'd be inclined to send our business your way, for a show of...good faith."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2005-07-20 16:29:09
"And what business is that?" the officer replies, in a less official tone. Aurelia feels he'd be a tough nut to crack, but he is crackable if she doesn't push too hard.
CrazyIvan 2005-07-21 04:37:34
"The movement of...certain cargo, with buyers who appreciate a little discretion."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2005-07-25 19:22:15
The officer replies in an equally conspiratorial (love that word) voice. "I think we may be able to do business. We should continue this discussion after you deal with your new passengers. Come by and my men will tell you where to go."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2005-08-03 16:03:48
Mandall's surprised to see the group return to the Dagger not too long after they left, and with two extra people to boot - a mother and daughter, both rather distraught. You learn the woman's name is Rasa, her child is Romsa.

"Thank you for what you did back there", Rasa tells Aurelia as they near the ship's access ramp. "But I'm afraid I can't go with you, not without Hern. I.. I don't know what I can do about getting your payment back, but I'm not leaving without my husband. We being gone won't make a difference in the farm's output - that vile Captain Leeds'll run Hern to the ground even harder than before because of what he did."
Gatac 2005-08-03 16:23:27
Mandall looks to Dutch.

"Want me to take care of that?"
Dieter 2005-08-03 16:36:09
Quote:

Quote: from Gatac on 10:23 am on Aug. 3, 2005
Mandall looks to Dutch.

"Want me to take care of that?"

Dutch crosses his arms.

"Since when did this become a relief mission? And I don't believe in public assassinations, especially of high-ranking Imperial officials. This is not what command would call a low-key insertion."
Gatac 2005-08-03 16:40:04
"I don't do assassinations, but I think you'd be inclined to agree that I'm a hell of a getaway driver. I don't see why we can't do a little...extraction."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2005-08-03 17:57:42
Meanwhile, up in the black, Calsera and Eritram sit idling as the wait grows longer.

*beep beep beep*

The proximity sensors give off an alarm. Whipping forward in his seat, Eritram checks the scopes. A light freighter is closing a little too close for comfort. It's not certain whether they've picked up the B-Wing yet. They could have, and are coming in for a closer look or salvage; they could be pirates thinking about bushwhacking freighters leaving Tanteldra; they could simply be off course after a shoddy hyperspace jump.

One thing's for certain - if they transmit to the Imperial outpost, the jig (at least for Calsera and Eritram) will be up.
fanchergw 2005-08-03 19:44:55
"What've we got, Eritram," Calsera asks as the alarm wakes her from her nap.

It only takes him a moment to explain the situation to her. "What do you think? Shall we go black and hope they don't notice us?"

[I'm assuming they can shut down all but critical systems and be semi-invisible.]
DatonKallandor 2005-08-03 19:57:29
"I doubt we can risk that. Are you familiar with that kind of ship? Any idea where the comm-systems would be?"
CrazyIvan 2005-08-04 00:53:39
Aurelia nods, giving the woman a reassuring look. "I didn't think for a moment that you were going to leave without your husband. But it's easier to get two women out of a nice Imperial corruption ring than a whole family, at least at first." She winks. "As for my payment...you'll note the officer still doesn't have his money. Let me take care of that."

As she leads to two women towards what passes for her quarters, she gives Mandall and Dutch her very distinct "don't cross me right now" look.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2005-08-05 04:07:35
As the freighter nears the B-Wing, you can make it out to be a YT-2400 - a newer model of the line made famous by Han Solo. Its comm array is highly visible on the starboard dorsal side.

(as an aside, I assumed you HAD shut down all non-essential systems.)

The transport ship doesn't make its move yet, drifting closer on ion thrusters.

---

Aurelia leaves Rasa and Romsa in her cluttered quarters with directions to the galley and admonitions that "you shouldn't touch too many switches". She quickly returns to the group.
DatonKallandor 2005-08-05 10:14:45
Eritram sees the closing Freighter and quickly thinks through their options.

"Hey Cat, I think its time to blow something up. If that thing has its shields down we should just use the ions to kill their com-systems. If they got their shields up we should use a torpedo to get through first.

Any objections?"
fanchergw 2005-08-05 17:35:09
"I was kind of thinking in terms of carving their comm unit off with the lasers, but your way works fine too," Calsera replies cheerfully. "After that, perhaps we use the ion cannons to shut their systems down so they can't interfere?"
DatonKallandor 2005-08-05 19:24:36
"Sounds perfect. Bring us into postition and Ill handle the torpedoes.

We should also mark that buckets position so Rebel Command can send a team to capture it. I suppose they are always happy about new ships."
fanchergw 2005-08-05 19:29:09
Calsera boots up the B-wing's systems and begins to maneuver into proper firing position. "You know, we don't really know who they are, and using the lasers is less likely to kill all of them..."

It occurs to Cat that, depending on how things work out, they might be able to bring the freighter back themselves.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2005-08-17 20:10:53
The YT-2400's engine flare to full power as Calsera brings the B-Wing online. She arcs the bomber high, setting Eritram up for a clean shot on the freighter's communications array. Blue ion bolts sear through the shields, leaving telltale lightning flashes on the hull. The freighter spooks, throttling up and trying to boost out of the moon's gravity well. Orange laser blasts fly within feet of the B-Wing's cockpit, scoring the paint as they pass. Their guns aren't offline, and the freighter's gunner is no slouch. Eritram misses with a second ion burst as Cal whips the B-Wing in a spiral to avoid the freighter's stream of blaster fire. She thumbs the cannon controls, lighting a swath of small explosions on the YT-2400's aft hull.

Another burst of bolts flies too close for Calsera's comfort as the stricken freighter continues to gun for a safe distance to jump to hyperspace.
fanchergw 2005-08-18 06:12:30
The B-wing springs to life, and the freighter responds almost as quickly. At Calsera's command, the fighter-bomber dances about in an effort to avoid return fire even as Eritram wipes out their opponents' comm systems.

More shots are traded, with the freighter seeming to get the worst of it, which turns in an attempt to escape. "Get the engines!" Calsera yells, only half to Eritram. Still attempting to dodge any laser fire from the frieghter, Cat sends some more cannonfire after it, leaving the other weapons to her gunner.