Vandal Squadron: On-Site Procurement - Chapter 2

CrazyIvan 2005-06-30 07:08:55
Aurelia is busy down below, fixing the Dagger's drive coolant system for the 10th time this month. She hears the announcement over the Comm, and smiles thinly.

"Light up...and incinerate us all in a firestorm of unfathomable intensity...I don't think he meant you."

She goes back to work but eyes the portable fusion torch at her hip distrustfully.
Aihal the Silent 2005-06-30 16:22:02
Before leaving the ship, Jorm asks Tanteldra's version of Port Control for a map of the facility and any pertinent information [such as whether or not "Hillfolk" occassionally snatch people]. He pays special attention to the relationship between the civilian landing facility and the Imperial facility.
fanchergw 2005-06-30 17:12:08
Calsera settles in for a long wait in the cockpit of the B-wing. "So, Eritram, what do you do for fun when we're not out on a mission?"
DatonKallandor 2005-06-30 22:51:14
"I've got some solo games for my datapad, a book - namely my families' chronic - and some traditional music from my planet. Do you want to have any of those, Cat?"

(Edited by DatonKallandor at 6:17 pm on June 30, 2005)
threadbare 2005-07-01 06:20:18
Ganet, known throughout the squadron and possibly the entire wing for the lengths he goes in the name of "getting in character." takes one last look at a reflective panel before leaving the ship. He has scruffed himself up a bit in preparation for this mission, having spent the last week working with Aurelia on greasy machinery and letting his stubble grow out. His teeth still look too white, but generally he looks the part of "dirty space rat."
fanchergw 2005-07-01 16:48:32
Calsera squirms around to look at Eritram. "You brought all that with you? On a mission? Hunh. Well, I guess some music would be nice..."
DatonKallandor 2005-07-03 14:55:58
"Why so surprised? All that fits nicely onto a datapad. Ill cue the music over the internal system - I warn you though, its really not everyones cup of jawa juice."

Seconds later a classical orchestral piece cues in over the B-Wings speakers.

"I hope you enjoy it - tell me if you want me to turn it off, alright?"
fanchergw 2005-07-03 18:42:38
"I guess I'm just not in the habit of bringing anything non-essential on missions. I'm usually just too busy to bother with other things in the middle of a mission."

The music starts up, and seems rather pleasant, actually. Unfortunately, the volumn is a little hard on Calsera's sensitive ears.

"Uhm, the music is okay, I guess, but could you turn it down a little?"
DatonKallandor 2005-07-03 19:56:18
"Sure, I forgot your super-senses."

Eritram turns the volume down to more Cathar-friendly levels.

"As you can see now, sometimes you get into situations where you have to wait for something. Its better to have some entertainment than to get bored to death."

"Better safe than sorry. A wingmate in a squadron I was once gave me that advise."
fanchergw 2005-07-05 16:44:19
Calsera amazingly finds a way to curl up in her cockpit seat, yet she can shift back in an instant. Eritram can almost see the tension drain out of her body.

"Not the kind of missions I'm used to, I guess. I'll remember that for the future, though. Thanks."
threadbare 2005-07-10 00:12:34
Ganet heads outside to chat with the ground crew and figure out what's going on.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2005-07-11 16:29:48
"The grain they farm here makes nice booze", the techs tell Ganet. "And you wouldn't be here unless it was harvest season, so that's the second bit of news I got. Were the Imperials here last time your boys were through here?"

---

Armed with a visitor's map of the port (a hastily-beamed over sketch, but serviceable once Jorm overlays his aerial scans), and the knowledge that the "hill folk" stay to the hills and away from the spaceport, the crew window-shops their way towards the Imperial outpost, stopping to half-heartedly haggle over some prices.

There seems to be a commotion outside the Imperial outpost gate. Four stormtroopers are searching a wagon pulled by a shaggy long-necked beast of burden. Sheafs of grain topple onto the ground in every direction while the wagon's driver is held a few meters off by a brown-suited Imperial officer. Another brown-suit is scanning the wagon with a portable unit.

The terrified screams of two women pierce the hay-tossing as the stormtroopers grab and manhandle a woman (roughly the same age as the farmer) and a young girl (obviously the daughter of the woman, if not the man as well) out of the wagon. The Imperial officer pushes the farmer against his wagon, an amused smirk on his face.

"I give you the worthy task of supplying food for the Empire's men and this is how you repay me? Trying to smuggle your brats off-world? Bind them."

The stormtroopers move to put binders on the trio.

"Please, I.. I.. there's not enough left over to sell to keep the farm going! I can't pay the men or maintain the droids, and th... you won't be able to get your cut of the harvest!"

"And so you were going to remain behind, do your duty to the Empire, but with two less mouths to feed? Admirable." The officer's sarcasm can be clearly heard - as well as what may come next. The farmer and his... wife (you assume) trade a look. Aurelia picks up on it, if it's not plain to see - they were all leaving. There are worse fates than starvation for a backwater mother and daughter trying to hop from port to port.

"Well now I have dilemma", the officer continues. "I do need my share of your harvest. I would be within my authority to blast your family right here" - he draws his pistol - "but then you might do something rash, we'd have to kill you too, and then the farm doesn't help anyone."

The officer flips his gun around and slams it across the farmer's face, dropping him to the ground beside the wagon. Dust poofs up around the man's impact.

"Your wife and child will be placed under arrest for the crimes you committed. One way or another, I will have my share."
Aihal the Silent 2005-07-11 18:24:13
Jorm finishes purchasing a quantity of grain as the fracas with the Imperial and the farmer begins. His hand is halfway to the blaster at his hip before his brain catches up.

Do the math. There are better ways to help than starting a firefight that will endanger the mission and your life.

As the wonderful example of life under Imperial Rule comes to a close, Jorm grits his teeth and turns back to the grain merchant. "Do you know where I can buy some high-grade power converters for my ship here?" he asks, gesturing at the Rusty Dagger.
threadbare 2005-07-11 20:55:41
"It's been a long time since we've been around here," Ganet replies."Generally our runs don't take us this way, but we had a few runs taking us off the beaten path, and Tanteldra fell in between where we were and where we're going. How long have they been here?"
CrazyIvan 2005-07-12 04:03:45
Aurelia sighs softly, shaking her head softly. She's been in a similar situation before, about as young as that girl was...she wasn't going to let that pass without trying. Besides, the Rebellion could use a honest farmer as much as anyone else. She moves towards the Imperial officer, trying to look as professional as possible.

"Excuse me Officer...I couldn't help but overhear your problem and...well" she lowers her voice to a conspiratorial tone. "We all know what 'Your Share' is going to be, fees for their indenturing. What if I were to take them off your hands...my ship could use an apprentice mechanic and a passable cook...save yourself the paperwork."

She gives the family an appraising and, hopefully reassuring, look.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2005-07-13 20:19:11
Ganet's crewman replies, "They've been here for two seasons. We appreciated 'em at first - there's not many of us out here, but there's enough to breed bandits and the like, and the stormtroopers put a stop to it. Then the Emperor meets his end and it's like they went crazy. Started demanding supplies and food from the farmers."

---

"Birdie Six - that's Thom Drell's old droid - maintains any spare mechanical workins to sell off to traders like yourself", the merchant tells Jorm. "He's likely to have what you need if the Imperials haven't cleaned him out for their shuttle."

---

The brownsuit gauges Aurelia's offer, and Mandall catches the officer's smirk when Aurelia mentions paperwork. "Five hundred for the girl, one thousand for the mother, and you've got yourself a deal."
Dieter 2005-07-13 20:27:19
Quote:

Quote: from admiralducksauce on 2:19 pm on July 13, 2005

The brownsuit gauges Aurelia's offer, and Mandall catches the officer's smirk when Aurelia mentions paperwork. "Five hundred for the girl, one thousand for the mother, and you've got yourself a deal."

He's highballing you...he'll take less. thinks Dutch.
Aihal the Silent 2005-07-13 21:13:42
Quote:

Quote: from admiralducksauce on 1:19 pm on July 13, 2005
"Birdie Six - that's Thom Drell's old droid - maintains any spare mechanical workins to sell off to traders like yourself", the merchant tells Jorm. "He's likely to have what you need if the Imperials haven't cleaned him out for their shuttle."

"Is there anyone willing to sell inside the Imperial Outpost?" asks Jorm. "Just in case your friend is cleaned out?"
CrazyIvan 2005-07-13 23:15:59
Aurelia feigns somewhat annoyed impatience.

"Don't be insulting. 400 for the girl, twice that for the mother."