The Kingdom - Born on the Bayou

CrazyIvan 2017-08-21 01:19:08
Ana stands quietly to one side, eying the exchange between Martin, Red, and their erstwhile host, her posture relaxed, but to those who know what they're looking at, also remarkably unencumbered.

Up and under the ribs when he stands - straight line to the heart, a swift enough death, the wound easily hidden beneath a vest or coat, well-suited to an open casket funeral.
punkey 2017-08-21 21:38:18
(Lucius Notice: 2d8 v. 1d6 = 4 v. 1)

Lucius gives Ana the side eye - then a slight nod and a shuffle to his left to cover her flank.

(Red Persuade: 2d12 v. 2d8 = 12 v. 8)

Pops grunts, then looks to Beau.
"It's Red, Pops," Beau says. "He's family." He gives Red a look that slowly evolves into a smirk. "Thinks too much of himself most of the time, but family."
Pops looks back to Red. "You always been a liar and a cheat, but you always told the truth. And even though your friends need a few lessons in manners, you did set them straight. I overstepped in saying you weren't family, and I apologize." He tilts his head. "You say destroying the other half will set Narcisse back to right? And all his boys are gone? Then that's enough for me." He lumbers to his feet. "Well, come on and let's get this over with."
skullandscythe 2017-08-22 10:22:57
Red manages to not flinch at Pops' line about truth, but otherwise manages a small, shaky smile to both Pops and Beau. "Thank you," he says softly, then tries to set his shoulders straight and take a deep breath that doesn't rattle.

"Yes, the quicker the better."
Gatac 2017-09-04 12:46:09
Martin stands aside as Pops leads Red away, then sighs from relief and falls in at the rear. Good thing somebody managed to talk some sense into the old man - but he'll have to work out this thing with Red afterwards, feels like he stepped over a line back there...
punkey 2017-09-15 13:36:39
Pops leads the group into the house, with Beau walking right next to Red and the rest of the team following behind.
“What’s goin’ on?” Ma bellows from one side of the house.
“Nothin’, don’t you worry,” Pops replies.
“Certainly sounds like somethin -” Ma says as she stomps towards you, stopping cold as she sees you all. “Well, aren’t you all a sight - and a smell too.” She wrinkles her nose. “You let them track all this in here -”
“For Gods’ sake, just let me handle my business,” Pops complains.
“And what business might that be?” Ma says. Pops remains silent. “Well, if it’s so important that you’re letting them make a mess -”
“Fine, let’s just let everyone have a look, then,” Pops says, and keeps walking.

He leads you all to one of the guest bedrooms and pulls a key out of his pocket. The door is quickly unlocked and opened, to reveal a completely empty room. Pops pulls a big knife off his belt, takes a knee, and pops up a floorboard to reveal a fabric-wrapped bundle.
“Pops Beaulieu, you have some explaining to do,” Ma says with a scowl.
“I did it for us, Ma,” Pops says as he unwraps the bundle to reveal the still dirt-crusted half a tablet, covered in runes and sigils. “To put a stop to things once and for all.”
Gatac 2017-09-18 13:06:25
"If I may," Martin says, gently reaching out to put a hand on the tablet.

He can barely sense the corruption - it's like it is intentionally masking itself. He feels it recess and hide as his paw touches it, but it still makes his fur stand on end. Whatever is in there, it's powerful enough to think for itself, even in this diminished form. Whatever's in there was not in any of the books he's read - but it's powerful, and evil.

Martin gasps and withdraws his hand. "Datehl walk with us," he breathes. "Asenath's evil seeps from this stone. We must see it destroyed at once!"
skullandscythe 2017-09-19 08:41:35
"Don't need to tell me twice," Red growls as he draws and nocks an arrow. He aims for what he perceives is a weak point in the stone, draws back as far as he can, and shoots. And keeps shooting until it breaks.
punkey 2017-09-24 14:18:07
(Red Shoot: 2d10 v. 2d8 toughness = 8 v. 6)

It only takes one - which is itself somewhat remarkable - knocking the tablet from Pop's hand and splitting it into three pieces, which break into several more when they hit the ground. No colored smoke or unearthly screeching, just a bit of dust.
CrazyIvan 2017-09-27 16:59:54
Ana frowns. "Does that strike anyone else as having been...remarkably easy?"
Gatac 2017-09-28 14:04:43
Martin eyes the tablet fragments.

"Perhaps it was," he says. "But if breaking the tablet really reversed the horrors that were perpetrated through its use, as it was supposed to, then all we need is to go find one of its victims and check on their condition. And, once assured that its power is gone for good, we can...finish up our business here."
CrazyIvan 2017-09-28 18:59:34
"That it worked is less interesting to me than why it worked."

Ana crouched down, looking at the dusty remains of the tablet, but being rather careful not to touch it.

"When a foe's capabilities change, it means the circumstances of the battle have changed." She looked up at Red. "For example, this tablet was given up willingly..."
skullandscythe 2017-10-02 11:57:02
Red raises a quizzical eyebrow, then shrugs. Whatever Ana is trying to tell him, he'll have to ask her to elaborate later.

"Either way, Martin's got a point," Red says, bending down to scoop up the tablet fragments into a bag - he's careful not to touch it with his own flesh. "We need to do the rounds, get all the victims sorted and back where they belong."