Shinobi 17 - Don't Count On It

Gatac 2000-01-01 00:00:00
Gatac 2011-04-10 18:35:33
The Theater
---

"Karg", you have learned, is foreign for barren. And certainly, most of Kargbeck lives up to that name, with cold stone, wet air and drab colors that seem to conspire towards making the city look a lot worse than it is. Seeing the theater, you begin to suspect that its allotment of beauty and grace was completely mismanaged by being concentrated in one place. The building is impressively high, maybe six stories, and though carved from the same masonry that makes up most of the city, artisans clearly gave this building a lot of work to make it look nice. Intricate carvings adorn the walls of its front entrance, seperated by fine columns that stretch along the front. Each carving shows a scene, probably taken from myth, rendered in such fine detail that a stonemason would have to have taken several weeks to create even one.

The people, too, are livelier and more colorful than you are used to seeing. Delicate dresses and tailored coats abound, and the men seem to be in some sort of friendly competition about the size of their headwear. The evening is further illuminated by several torches lighting the plaza in front of the theater. People are socializing, enjoying fine drink and, Gods forbid, laughing! One must honestly wonder what things look like inside the theater, if the outskirts of this party are already this uncharacteristic for the rather dour foreigners you know.

Even in such a crowd, however, three women stick out. Aiko, dressed sensibly as always, her sharp eyes scanning the crowd for anything of interest; Kasumi, wearing a rather hastily procured dress that flatters which, frankly, doesn't need a lot of help; and Yukio in her best kimono, a striking figure with braided hair and steely gaze. As far as any of you can tell, you're the only Imperials who bothered to show up. Such is a bold statement, and a few whispers rush through the crowd.

An attendant steps forward, immaculately dressed in a fine foreign suit.

"It is my very good honor to welcome you to the Comte de Champagne's celebration," the attendant says in slightly accented Imperial. Apparently, the Count is prepared for Imperial visitors. "If you would wait but a moment while I inform the Comte. Who shall I say is here?"

---
The docks
---

The less is said of dealing with Adler, the better; between the man's penchant for question games and his rather single-minded thirst for revenge against the Killer Bees, you somehow manage to finagle the location of their hideout out of them. Turns out they've taken over a warehouse at the docks - well, yeah, that narrowed it down, thanks a lot.

Fortunately, after some searching, Toshiba, Takao and Kagemaru have found what they believe to be the right one. It is more boathouse than storage, out alone on a pier that reaches into the harbor. You understand immediately why the Killer Bees chose it - out of the way, only one really good approach on foot via the narrow pier. As is the nature of a port, there's crates and other wares aplenty to hide behind on the shoreside, putting you close enough to the boathouse to get a rough idea of what's going on there. A few men seem to be patrolling outside, dressed as dockworkers. The night is clear with a half-moon overhead, clearly daring you to match your sneakiness against theirs.
punkey 2011-04-10 19:04:40
Kasumi and Yukio mill about the crowd together, sample the food on offer (far too much salt and spice), have a drink together, laugh and essentially carry on in a very distracting and public way, waiting for the Count to find them.

Once the functionary approaches them, Kasumi gives him a deep bow. "Kyo Tanaka, Head Attaché to the Consul of the district of San'in," Kasumi says in her best court-voice, "and date."
"Certainly, Madame Tanaka. Please, enjoy our refreshments while I inform the Comte." He pauses, then turns back. "And where is sir? Over by the refreshments, perhaps?"
Kasumi takes Yukio's hand and kisses her on the knuckles. "No, she is right here. Meet Miki Yotsuma."
"Enchante," the attendant says without missing a beat. He turns to Aiko. "And your name, Madame?"
Mister Andersen 2011-04-11 04:57:46
Aiko regards the functionary with slight bemusement, like all of this is frightfully new to her. "Aichiko Wantabe," she bows in turn. "Scholar."
Gatac 2011-04-12 19:38:56
"Very well, Madame," the attendant says. "I will be just a moment."

After Mr. Dresscode leaves you to your business, Yukio turns to Aiko. "If we are to make conversation with the Count, what will we speak of?"
MikeS 2011-04-13 06:41:48
"So, what's the plan?", Takao asks. "I can either provide a distraction, or I can cover your getaway, but I fear I won't be able to follow you stealthily into that hideout." Takao is fully armed: he is wearing his do (chestplate), and both blades on his hip. His travel cloak does a very mediocre job of concealing either. Stealth isn't his forte...
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-04-13 16:25:50
"Definitely a distraction," Toshiba suggests, rooting around in one of the many crates until he comes out with a handful of candles and a huge grin. "Perfect."

"Wait until we are in the water, then do your thing," he continues after producing a weather-worn flute. It's clear Toshiba means to seal up his instrument for use as a snorkel.
Gatac 2011-04-14 17:45:21
Toshiba lights the candle before making sure he's fully crouched behind the crates again. It could be sneakier (1d20+14 = 16) - and Kagemaru thinks he noticed some of the lookouts stirring for a moment. (1d20+7 = 17 - I'm gonna rule it's not instantly fatal, but all Notice checks are at +1 from here on.)

Fortunately, Toshiba knows his way around candles and flutes (1d20+8 = 26), and soon he's got the flute nicely sealed against water. This should definitely hold up to even a slow and careful approach to the boathouse.

---

After all of two minutes, the attendant reappears outside the theater, giving a small bow to the three 'exotic' women.

"The Comte would speak with you now, if that is agreeable to you," the attendant says. Given the quick and easy entrance into the theater inherent in accepting the invitation, you quickly decide that that is, indeed, quite agreeable.

Inside the theater, it seems the Foreigners have carted over half their homeland in treasures and fine artisanship, lending the entire marbled interior an air that would embarass the very concept of decadence. It is here that the Foreigner's social elite is already mingling, wearing their finest dresses and suits. Soft musical stirrings from a small orchestra in the corner of the main hall accompany a light dancing competition, while it seems there's more waitstaff than guests on the floor, flying to handle each and every need of the partygoers. To the three of you who haven't exactly been treated like royalty on your journey so far, it's a potent reminder of how the other 0.002% lives.

Or, to put it another way: Kargbeck knows how to party.

The Comte arrives to the applause of the masses with a retinue of women. Floozies, trollops, hussies, however you wish to denigrate them - their attire is far from dignified and barely even decent, and at least one of them is constantly laughing lightly at one thing or another. You wonder what happens to them when there is no party to be in the middle of. The Comte cuts a dashing (if slightly pudgy) figure in his fine clothes, a thoroughly impractical yet financially ruinous collection of garments clearly designed to strike dead with envy any other fashion-conscious male who lays eyes on it.

"Bienvenue, Mesdemoiselles!" he says. Is he...yes, he's wearing perfume. "What a pleasure to meet all of you! Oh, Francois, what a crime that we kept these lovely creatures waiting outside in the cold for even a second!"
"Indeed, my Lord," the attendant says.
"Kindly do take care of my other guests, Francois," the count says, handing off the entourage of women to be led away by the attendant. That done, you're as alone with him as you're likely to get in the middle of the main hall. "A thousand pardons!" the count says with a smile. "In all this revelry, I scarcely find the time to meet new friends. Oh, but do tell me, what is that brings a trio of such lovely ladies as yourself into our city? I would not dare dream it, of course, but if you had sought me out specifically, I believe I would die a very happy man!"
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-04-14 18:58:11
Toshiba finishes checking his gear for rattling and loose bits, then slips into the water. He checks his flute-turned-snorkel and pronounces it ready.

"Let us do this," he whispers, "as mere wisps of shadow. Remember, we mean to find missives and evidence linking this clan to the Comte. We find that and we leave as quickly as we can. If we're separated, regroup where we fired the gonne and wait for the others."
MikeS 2011-04-15 06:10:38
Takao waits a little bit after the other two are gone before starting his distraction. Subterfuge, unfortunately, is not his strength, so he'll start with something simple: walking down the pier towards the boat house. His cloak is now intentionally set to reveal his armament underneath to the casual observer. His stride is slow, but not casual, and it's obvious where he's headed, since the really is only one destination on the pier. Takao still has his hands under the cloak, but close to his weapon, and he is expecting trouble.
Gatac 2011-04-16 08:35:43
Toshiba (1d20+14 = 24) and Kagemaru (1d20+13 = 21) slip into the water a few moments before Takao starts walking towards the boathouse.

If anything, that works a little too well, because a dock worker starts walking an intercept course as soon as Takao steps out of the crates' cover. Damn it, too soon! Kagemaru thinks, floating in the water next to Toshiba. With a quick sign, the two ninja dive - but they can't chance staying close enough to the surface to use their snorkels right now!

OOC: Killer Bee's Notice was 1d20+7 = 21, so with the +1 I previously ruled in favor of and conveniently forgot to put in there, that beats Kagemaru's Sneak. Okay, so further complication! You have to stay underwater and hold your breaths while Takao deals with the guard. Since you both of have Con 10, that gives you 10 rounds (one minute) of free holding your breath, after that it's Fortitude saves to stay underwater and not burst up for a breath.
punkey 2011-04-16 09:13:02
Kasumi bows deeply to the Count. "I am in town on consul business, and showing Miki here the sights of your fine city for the first time," she says, giving Yukio a warm smile before returning her attention to the Count. "It is the first time since we became an item that I have been able to arrange for her to join me on business. Aichiko is accompanying me on this business trip as scholar and bookkeeper. Surely, we can spend some time talking business tonight, but I think Aichiko, Miki and I would prefer to eat and enjoy ourselves first." Kasumi turns to Yukio and smiles. "Right, darling?"
"That would be most agreeable, dear," Yukio replies with a smile.
Kasumi looks over to Aiko. "Aichiko?"
MikeS 2011-04-16 09:24:16
Takao notices the guard coming towards him, but continues on as if he is oblivious, as if he doesn't expect to be challenged, his trajectory such that his would-be interceptor must face away from Takao's friends. He will stay on the lookout for other guards, sizing up how many of them there are and how the potential battlefield looks in terms of boxes or barrels stacked up on the pier that can be used for cover.

(OOC: how does the dice roller work here?)
Gatac 2011-04-16 10:49:01
"Oi, sunshine!" the 'dock worker' calls out to Takao. "Now where do you think you're going?"
MikeS 2011-04-16 17:39:39
Takao stops and musters the the dock worker as he closes to within a few steps before responding: "And you are..?"
Gatac 2011-04-16 17:59:36
"I'm the man who will plant a boot in your arse if you don't get off our property in a right hurry, mate." The 'dock worker' seems ready to resort to further language and maybe pushing you into the water to get rid of you, but he doesn't seem to be carrying weapons at a glance.

OOC: 8 rounds remain.
MikeS 2011-04-16 18:20:47
(OOC: is he distracted enough from the other two that they can swim towards the boat house, or do I have to step it up? Also, do I spot anyone else?)

"To answer your question: when challenged by the likes of you, I go wherever I want." Takao opens his traveling cloak enough to fully expose his blades. "I have business in that house. Take me to your lord."

(OOC: intimidate the guy to come with me)
Gatac 2011-04-16 18:40:33
(OOC: No, you need to get him away from where he is right now. Let's see how that works out...)

Takao's implication was clear (1d20+10 = 19), but in the face of the 'dock worker' and his resilient attitude, even the deadly gaze...

Excuse me, that's not right. Actually, Takao's brazen display of weaponry scares the shit out the disguised ninja (1d20+6 = 8), who quickly throws up his hands in a gesture of submission.

"Easy, mate, there's a bitta...misunderstanding going around. My lord, was it? Be a right pleasure!"

While the Killer Bee ninja leads the way (no doubt hoping for his companions to quickly pull together an ambush and dogpile this stranger), it serves the purpose of taking the ninja away from where Toshiba and Kagemaru are. The two surreptitiously slip their respective snorkels upward, affording them a way to breathe and move under the surface of the water.

(OOC: Is Takao actually going through with walking into that boathouse, or do you have something else planned? If Takao does walk up with the ninja, that'll draw enough attention that Kagemaru and Toshiba will get to the house with no further rolls, but it will of course alert every Killer Bee that something is happening.)
MikeS 2011-04-16 19:05:46
Takao follows the guard all the way to the door, but he is clearly in no hurry at all. While the guard is turned away from him, he musters the area intensely: are any other guards hidden out here? Is there an easy path from other parts of the house to the front that would allow the Killer Bees to surround him? Windows in the second floor, maybe?

When he finally catches up to the Bee waiting impatiently at the door, Takao says: "Politeness demands that I not enter this house armed without invitation, and I will not give these noble blades into your filthy hands. I shall await your Lord's permission to enter his house down here."

Takao tries to get a good look inside the building as the ninja scurries inside.

(OOC: the goal is to get as many of them to come towards the front of the building as possible without actually killing anyone, and maybe we'll even see the face of the local master villain.)
Mister Andersen 2011-04-17 08:10:08
Aiko nods her consent to the plan, looking around like the wide-eyed yokel she's pretending to be