Shinobi 17 - Don't Count On It

Mister Andersen 2011-05-28 11:36:07
"They are certainly great lovers, my Lord" Aiko nods in agreement, waving her nearly empty wine glass about like someone who's already emptied one or two of them. "Oh, the enthusiasm they display in appreciating every new location they come across. They were talking of commissioning a... private... portrait from one of the local artists to commemorate their journey here. But I fear that these artisans are likely all far too busy with their other work for such a trivial task."
Gatac 2011-05-28 15:14:18
The count smiles at that. "And having spent their charms on me to enjoy themselves in my private gallery, they have sent you to ask me to lend my considerable weight to such an endeavor?"

The count laughs softly as he hefts his belly. "That was a joke, Mademoiselle."

"In either event, I am not opposed to a friendly word here and there - and perhaps, if I may so indecent as to talk about the financial outlay of such a commission - I might be able to help them defray the costs, if they find it within them to be the motive of two paintings instead of one."
Mister Andersen 2011-05-28 23:54:30
Aiko smiles, finishing off the wine in her glass -- the first time alcohol has passed her lips all night -- and looking at it a little sadly. Truth be told, while it's not sake, it does have a certain alluring quality.

"My Lady's husband is a most wise and noble lord whose great love of his wife extends to indulging her... artistic passions. Such, ah, private art is in turn her gift to him alone." She lowers her voice slightly. "Of course, a man of the world as yourself knows that sometimes gifts are lost and must be... replaced."
MikeS 2011-05-29 18:43:38
Takao turns to face the boss fully again.

"I'm not a man of many words. As far as I'm concerned, the only "details" consist of you making and offer, and me nodding or shaking my head. I hope that your friend is an important one, because I don't come cheap."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-06-02 16:49:51
Toshiba looks at the money. It has to be payment, but with no evidence of a contract or the like, it seems prudent to Toshiba to ensure there are no Killer Bees here who can provide counter-testimony. Also, they are (ostensibly) the enemy.

He looks to Kagemaru with a questioning glance and draws his thumb across his throat, then nods to the Killer Bees at the door. Shall we do them in?
Kagemaru 2011-06-02 21:32:03
Crouching on a beam right under the roof, Kagemaru waits for enemies to pose a threat to his friend. To his surprise everything goes over way smoother than he thought as all of the guards conveniently deal with their distraction.

Suddenly he sees Toshiba signaling him something. He wants to kill the guards. No, it must be a question as he waits for an answer. Kagemaru looks over at the guards, trying to predict which would be the best point to drop down.

So much for the smooth part. I guess this gets bloodier than planned.

He turns back to Toshiba and accepts his plan with a nod. Then Kage unsheathes Kiara's Ninja-To and looks at it with a smile.

You would love this Kiara, wouldn't you?
MikeS 2011-06-03 21:07:20
OOC: I haven't mentioned it explicitly, but I would think it goes without saying that Takao is listening for noises coming from the boatshouse as well. In his opinion, there are only two ways the ninjas will attack him: the boss tells them to, or they suspect a trap, so Takao is watching the boss and the boathouse intently, whereas he is paying slightly less attention to the ninjas.
Gatac 2011-06-12 21:05:48
(Guard's Notice: 1d20+7 = 8)

Cheong-Sin Ishikawa said, "The wise man opens his eyes wide when he looks at the familiar." Deep wisdom, indeed.

Too bad that wisdom never reached the Killer Bees. They apparently feel quite secure in their little base of operations and don't bother performing even the most cursory of searches. This is the kind of laziness ninja like Kagemaru and Toshiba live to exploit.

"Here's our offer then, mate," the leader says to Takao. "You go ahead and kill that no good Adler bastard, we'll pay you to the tune of 600 square silver in Imperial obligations. That's a right good price, but you look worth it."

Kagemaru's heard enough to figure out that the leader won't just casually give away who he's working for. It's time to get this party started!

[SURPRISE ROUND]

Toshiba: 2d20.hi+14 = 30
Kagemaru: 1d20+11 = 23
Takao: 1d20+3 = 9

(4 AD spent to enhance ambush - everybody gets +4 Sneak Attack dice for the surprise round!)

But of course, Toshiba has to steal his thunder first. The ninja/woodsman/Blue Oni impersonator leaps from his hiding place onto the nearest Killer Bee, blade flashing for the kill!

(Toshiba's Attack: 1d20+6 = 9 Action die added: 1d6.open = 8. Hit! Damage: 1d6+1+2d6+4d6 = 12)

(Killer Bee's damage save against DC 16: 1d20+4 = 13 Failed!)

The Killer Bee made the mistake of turning into Toshiba's attack. Toshiba didn't actually know if it was possible to put a knife through the eye like that, but he figured he'd try. The more you know...

Nonplussed, Kagemaru sizes up a heavy bag of grains suspended just over the lead Killer Bee's head and hurls a shuriken at the rope holding it, leaping down to join the battle as the bag falls with him!

(Kagemaru's Attack: 1d20+7 = 13 Hit! Damage: 1d4+1d6+4d6 = 18 Converted to subdual! Target remains flatfooted!)

(Killer Bee Boss's damage save against DC 19: 1d20+6 = 19 Success!)

The bag drops right on the bossman's head, staggering him and causing him to fumble backwards.

Takao's a little surprised by the attack, but unlike the Killer Bees, he knew it was coming. The nearest Killer Bee earns his quick-draw slash from his trusty sword Mizu.

(Takao's Attack: 1d20+9 = 19 Hit! Damage: 1d10+5+4d6 = 27)

(Killer Bee damage save against DC 23: 1d20+4 = 16 Bisected!)

They're gonna have to mail that body back in two caskets. Looks like a few months with no use haven't dulled Mizu one bit.

[ROUND ONE]

Toshiba: 30
Kagemaru: 23
Killer Bees: 1d20+7 = 23
Killer Bee Boss: 1d20+8 = 12
Takao: 9

Toshiba, fresh from his eyeball removal procedure, sizes up the next Killer Bee and...

(Toshiba's Attack: 1d20+6 = 11 Miss! Enemy is no longer flat-footed.)

...who the hell decided that this, of all boards, should be loose? Toshiba's misstep isn't fatal by any means, but it does push him off balance enough for his strike to miss, and the Killer Bee sees the next one coming...

(Toshiba's Attack: 1d20+6 = 20 Hit! Toshiba uses the "Shank!" trick. No damage roll necessary.)

(Killer Bee is dumber than Int 12 and fails damage save.)

...or was it all part of Toshiba's plan all along? Either way, that's one fine stab between the ribs he's pulled off. That just leaves their boss and one more poor little ninja to fight them, and they haven't even had time to really react yet.

It's really rather unsporting, don't you think? There should be rules against this.

Well, screw 'em, Kagemaru would just break the rules. Seeing a staggered man isn't cause for sudden attacks of good sportsmanship - well, except for the "sudden attacks" part. In this case, a nice kick to the face.

(Kagemaru's Attack: 1d20+8 = 12 Hit! Damage: 1d6+4+1d6 = 11 Converted to subdual! Target remains flatfooted)

(Killer Bee Boss's damage save against DC 24: 1d20+6 = 24)

Oh, come on. The next kick goes for the man's nuts.

(Kagemaru's Attack: 1d20+8 = 14 Hit! 1d6+4+1d6 = 16 Converted to subdual! Target remains flatfooted!)

(Killer Bee Boss's damage save against DC 32: 1d20+6 = 12 Came up a little short there, mate)

And finally, the tough old bugger hits the floorboards, sincerely and unapologetically out of the fight.

The single, lone, completely surrounded Killer Bee does the only sensible thing. He attacks Takao with his knife.

No, wait, that wasn't the sensible thing. That was totally insane.

(Killer Bee Attack: 1d20+9 = 27 Hit! Damage: 1d6+1 = 2 Reduced by 7 through Takao's DR and Edged Resist!)

(Takao takes no damage.)

(Killer Bee Attack: 1d20+9 = 16 Miss!)

The blade simply glances off Takao's armor, barely even registering as a hit. The Killer Bee realizes how screwed he is when he sees Mizu head for him...

(Takao's Attack: 1d20+9 = 22 Hit! Damage: 1d10+5 = 12)

(Killer Bee's damage save against DC 16: 1d20+4 = 24 Success!)

Mizu splits the man's black-yellow shirt, revealing the bare skin beneath. "Gods, I'm still ali-" he begins to shout.

(Takao's Attack: 1d20+9 = 23 Hit! Damage: 1d10+5 = 6)

(Killer Bee's damage save against DC 19:
1d20+4 = 7)

No. No, you're not. The return swing follows the exact same trajectory but a few inches further forward, slicing a deep cut into the ninja's chest that severs the man's aorta. And heart. And most of his lungs. And sternum. Honestly, it's just a big old mess, and he drops to the ground dead.

Takao whips the blood from Mizu and sheathes his sword again. You have just added four dead ninja to the boathouse's decor and one very stunned ninja leader to your traveling inventory.
Gatac 2011-06-12 21:19:28
"Oh, how romantic!" the Count says, almost swooning. "I might not look the part, Mademoiselle, but I am a great romantic myself. Of course I would endavour to support a gesture such as this - and you are quite right, it would not do if there was no insurance against calamity."

He eyes the scroll in Aiko's hand. "You've chosen a Maitre, then? Let me just add my signature to your request - I fear my weight would require a bigger contract." He laughs softly at Aiko's expression. "Oh, do lighten up, Mademoiselle, a man is allowed a joke or two at his own expense. It makes the logistics of forgiveness rather uncomplicated, non?"

---

With the Count's endorsement, Yukio and Kasumi are ushered through the double doors into the private area of the theater. The walls are decorated with a deep red velvet covering, with further decorations in a smooth white material that, after a moment's thought, you realize must be hewn from the teeth of very large animals. Lots of them. You start wondering how in the Heavens the Count could possibly top this expression of decadence for his bedchamber.

The assistant leads you back down a few flights of marble stairs to another set of double doors, which you realize must lead to a hall underneath the main ballroom. Beyond the door lies the gallery - and what a sight it is! The walls are lined with what must be dozens of paintings, and that's just the outer hallway. Two arches in the sides seem to lead off to two further wings. You note that the sign above one arch reads "Eroica", while the other says "Erotica". That doesn't sound like the Foreign you've heard so far, but you have a feeling you'll find out what it means soon enough.

The assistant silently bids you to wander the halls, then excuses himself and closes the double doors beside you. You are now alone with the faint sounds of movement overhead, the crackle of torches that light the gallery, and several dozen paintings. Of horses. Isn't widening your cultural horizons fun?

Kasumi walks arm-in-arm with Yukio through the gallery, carefully guiding their path past the door to the Count's bedchambers, giving the door a look as she goes past, then putting her attention back on the paintings. The horsewoman next to Kasumi is amazed at the detail of the horses, standing alone in open fields, grazing, running, or simply standing at alert.

"You're drooling, Yukio," Kasumi jokes.
"The Count really loves his horses, doesn't he?" Yukio replies, smirking at a painting. "Let's check out the wings."

Yukio leads the way into the "Erotica" wing, but judging from her face, leaves just a little bit of her innocence outside. Kasumi follows her, and gets a taste of the art herself. Paintings - roughly three dozen of them, if your glance isn't off - of horses. Plural. Every last painting contains two horses mounting each other. The variety in breed, color and background setting is remarkable, but when you boil it down, the Count has an entire wing of his private gallery devoted to horses...well, fucking.

Finally, Yukio gets over herself and laughs a little. "Oh, dear. That's a lot of equine passion here."
"I'm sure that's not quite the intended effect," Kasumi says. "You do like horses a lot though, don't you."
"Yes," Yukio says, smiling to Kasumi. "They're noble, strong and they don't try to chat you up."

Kasumi sits on a small bench positioned in the middle of the gallery, no doubt to give the Count a chance to ply his luck without dealing with his equally equine mass, and motions for Yukio to join her. "And that was a bonus for you?"
Yukio sits down next to Kasumi. "Well, obviously I'm not interested in horses in the same manner as the Count seems to be...but I do spend a lot of time with them, and I like being around them. Moreso than you do, I'd wager."
"Consider it more a lack of exposure than a lack of desire," Kasumi replies. "I like them well enough, and I'm a decent enough rider, though obviously no match for you."
"It's more than riding," Yukio says. "I've trimmed hooves, trained horses, helped mares foal - I spent half my youth in our family's stables all around the Forge. Sometimes I think my father let me go to the Academy because he wanted me to learn how to deal with people, instead of horses."

She grins at Kasumi.

"Shall we check out the other wing, or do you not dare?"
Kasumi's eyes gleam with the mischief of the moment. "When have I not dared?" She jumps up and leads Yukio to the other wing.
This, then, is the "Eroica" wing, and this time, it's Kasumi's turn to be a little stunned. Yukio just busts out into gut-splitting laughter.

In craftsmanship and number of paintings, this wing mirrors its indecent brother exactly. But here, every picture shows the Count riding a horse in some sort of ridiculous dress you deduce must be the foreigners' idea of a military uniform. Apparently, the Count has paid good money to look like he's leading horse charges on a bewildering array of battlefields for every major Foreign power. The artists obviously made full use of their license, such as it is, to "correct" such minor details as the Count's gut, and some painters have even seen fit to add a small scar on his cheeks. You can only conclude that this is how you want to look if you wish to conquer a fair maiden's heart in the lands across the sea.

"Oh dear," Yukio spits out between the dying fits of her laugh attack. "Oh Heavens. This is...I don't know what to say."
Kasumi has a large grin on her face as she tries to calm Yukio down. "Shh, we're supposed to be taken with passion in here," she giggles. "I doubt deep laughter is the intended effect of this part of the gallery." She looks back to the paintings. "I suppose it would be alluring, if the maidens were kidnapped and brought here blindfolded..."
"I simply must have something like this made for my Toshi, when this is all over," Yukio says. "That should be much easier on those poor painters."
"I'm sure he'd be a very dashing subject, just as long as the sword is not as heavy as these seem to be," Kasumi says, leaning in close for a better look. "These are massive, how do you control it on a return stroke, or bring it up for a block without wrenching your shoulder out?"
"I don't think these are the 'return stroke' kinds of swords, dear Kasumi," Yukio says, actually taking a closer look to ponder the tactical implications of the Count's fantasies rendered into pieces of quote-unquote art.
"It seems that you could only use them to hack at your opponents, or maybe crush their skulls with the flat end of it. No precision, no finesse." Kasumi slides back up against Yukio. "I think I'd prefer my sword."
"This is simply beyond ludicrous," Yukio says, putting her arm around Kasumi. "I fear if I keep looking, I will just start laughing louder and louder until everyone can hear." She places her hand underneath Kasumi's chin and turns her face toward herself. "Perhaps you can help me keep quiet," she whispers with a sly grin.
"Perhaps," Kasumi whispers in return, and slides her hands up Yukio's back as she leans in to make sure that the only sounds that will escape from Yukio for the next few minutes are low and muffled.
MikeS 2011-06-13 05:31:11
Takao sighs as he sheathes Mizu.

"You could have told me earlier that your definition of "stealth" simply means "no one could bear witness to us entering and exiting". That would have saved me an arduous conversation with sunshine." He nods in the direction of the ninja boss. "Plus it would have only taken a couple of seconds."

"Find anything interesting?"

(OOC: Not that it matters for this particular fight, but between Cleave, the Sword feat chain and a Sense Motive of 20, Takao has a number of rude surprises for his opponents, especially if they're a goon squad.

OOC 2: incidentally, was that a decent price the guy offered? Because in that case, Takao would inquire if any funds were found...)
Gatac 2011-06-13 10:32:49
Surprisingly enough, the Count's bedroom is behind unlocked doors. Apparently, he's not too worried about people snooping around here, presumably because he's usually present when he's got ladies to impress here.

It feels a little wrong to not even have to crack a lock to get in, but what can you do?

(Kasumi's Notice: 1d20+7+1 AD = 15)

Let's start with the decor. How do you top using pieces of of big animal teeth for decorating your walls? Using the whole, curved tusks, coated with fine gold patterns. It's - no, decadence really doesn't cut it anymore.

The bed is a round mattress covered in deep purple silken bedsheets and a small village of pillows, alos purple with gold fringes. You estimate that, even with the Count's slight belly, this bed will hold up to four floozies, five if they're particularly malnourished.

More interesting - to, ahem, your mission - is the wooden desk. This one is made from local wood, actually, but the carvings on it are foreign and made with great skill - the Count didn't import a work of art, he brought the artist with him.

Refocusing from their intimacies in the gallery, Kasumi looks for anything else besides the garish decorations, the bed and the desk. The same pasted-on velvet wall coverings from the gallery cover the walls, but the room is otherwise empty.
"Strangely empty for such a rich person who likes so many shiny things," Kasumi says. "I'll search the desk and the bed, you check the walls and the decor, love. I'll join you once I've finished."
"I'm starting to think he keeps more than one bedroom," Yukio says. "It would not surprise me." She tucks on some of the tusks experimentally, but they don't see to give.

Kasumi gets to work on the desk. The drawers are empty - oh, but what's that? Looks like somebody left a letter taped to the underside of the middle drawer. Kasumi has to smile a little at what is clearly a beginner's idea of a good hiding place.

"What have you found?" Yukio asks, being that her search has turned up nothing so far.
Kasumi turns the letter over in her hands and gives it a shake before opening it. "Letter of some kind. How's your search going? Rubbing the seams?"

The letter doesn't rattle. Inside, it's just a sheet of paper. Those foreigners seem to get off on folding paper - don't they know that'll damage the sheets?

"Nothing so far," Yukio says.

Kasumi looks at the letter. The fanciful handwriting marks it as the Count's, though it's neither sealed not signed. In fact, it seems to be have been aborted about halfway through.

Dear Herr Tingarson,

I wish I did not need to write this letter. I wish I did not have to address you this way. Why will you not see me? We are flighty souls, both of us, and I knew it - but to be shut out of your company has hurt me gravely. What has become of our friendship? I wish not to shame you, but I beg of you, answer me that I might learn to understand your recent actions.

Kasumi grows increasingly angry as she reads the letter, but is not surprised. Being set up still is one of her least favorite problems, however. "Yukio, have you found anything?" she asks, keeping her voice even.
"Not yet, I -" she says, then sees the expression on Kasumi's face. She takes the letter and reads it for herself.

"This is not good," she says. Her expression becomes uncharacteristically cold, as if she was back on the battlefield. "If people know about their...friendship...then it will be hard to implicate the Count in Tingarson's death."
"It does beg a whole array of new questions, though," Kasumi says. "What motives would our killer have for setting up the Count? Who would have the means to do so?" She stands up and peers at the letter with Yukio. "And how could they put us on this path?" She looks around the room. "I think it is time we made our search much less covert. Do not destroy anything, but let's turn this place upside down and see what falls out, if anything substantiates the relationship implied in this letter. Once we've done that, I will beckon Aiko and the Count to join us, and then we ask him about this letter."
Yukio nods. "That seems a sensible course of action, Kasumi."

And thus you apply yourselves to this task of gently dismantling what can be taken apart inside the bedroom. The tusks, you find, actually unscrew from their wall mounts, but do not contain any hiding spaces. The desk, too, stands stripped of its drawers with no further secrets revealed. For reasons of decency, we will not elaborate what your thorough search of the bed turned up.

(Well, actually, we're not that decent, so here's the one find of any significance: a wooden sculpture of a horse's member, covered in leather.)

But that's all she wrote, or he, for that matter.

---

The Count is, shall we say, not quite angry at how you've dismantled his bedroom. If anything, he seems slightly bemused by it until he spots the letter in Kasumi's hands. "I would have that letter back, if you please, Mademoiselle. I carelessly left it here - my apologies, I do try to keep the guest bedroom free of personal items."

"But perhaps you would like to be up front with what it is that you wish to find out, that we might abbreviate this admittedly amusing diversion and get to the core of the matter."

Aiko stands next to him, having since quietly stashed the signed contract for potential later use.

Kasumi stands next to Yukio, the two of them in a matched defensive but open stance. "We are investigating Tingarson-san's murder, and your name was raised as a possibility as the man who hired his assassin." The sentence came from her mouth easier than one might think. She raises the folded letter in her fingers and waggles it back and forth. "Do you care to explain your relationship with Tingarson-san?"
"I do indeed," the Count huffs. "Mademoiselle, I admit I know far too little of your fascinating country, not for lack of trying, mind you, but in our world, many a man has been ruined by accusations of lying with another man." He looks at Kasumi and Yukio. "I am not as narrow-minded as my countrymen in such matters, but the simple truth is that me and Herr Tingarson were good friends, and just that. Though I am quite interested in virility and its trappings, the idea of lying with a man does not interest me in the slightest. If you were wondering, I do indeed surround myself with beautitful women for the actual joys of such, not merely to camouflage a moral failing."

(Kasumi Sense Motive: 1d20+10 = 21)

(Aiko Sense Motive (min 23):1d20+13 = 23. Bluff DCs targeting her also increase by 3)

(Count's not rolling Bluff. He's being 100% truthful here.)

Kasumi doesn't see any of the telltale signs of deceit. Yes, he seems a bit flustered at having to explain himself, but really, that's the best that could be expected of a man who has been lied to and had his bedroom torn apart by undercover investigators.

"And so, what about your friendship with Tingarsan-san?" Kasumi asks. "This letter seems to imply that you two were having some degree of difficulty. Any heated arguments or disagreements?"
"If you suspect me of such, then surely you know that he had a thing for young boys that even the finest of my women would not cure him of," the Count explains. "I frequently warned him that it would not end well, that he was risking his office for mere pleasures of the flesh - but with his latest lover, I do believe he actually fell madly in love. Alas, my warnings became shrill to him, and he avoided me in all ways. I was gravely concerned for him, and desperate to talk sense into him - but then he was murdered, by the very boy he had gambled his heart on! Would that I could find his neck and wring the life out of him. My friend deserved much better, Mademoiselle."

Aiko listens to the Count's words with great interest. He's clearly given to public oratory, and his lips are no strangers to half-truths and fabrications, but what he says rings true to her ears.

"What do you know of this boy?" Aiko asks, gladdened to her core to be free of duplicity in the investigation, if only for now. "Was he Imperial or Gaijin?"
"An Imperial fellow, young and wiry. Mine eyes were struck with jealousy, so I cannot describe to you details of him - though I dare say I would recognize the boy, were we to meet."
Aiko's lips purse slightly. "My Lord, it has been my experience that the mind becomes repository to many things our conscious thoughts are unaware it has kept. There are meditative techniques that can be called upon to aid recall of such things, especially if they are connected to such strong triggers as passion."
"You will, I hope, forgive me, Mademoiselle, that I'm in no mood for Imperial mysticism at this hour. Such techniques are well known to be used by the unscrupulous in pursuit of trickery, and hardly scientific even when used with the purest of intentions."
"Do you not have a confidante or advocate to stand watch, to ease any doubts you may have? We seek only your recall of details of this youth's appearance, nothing else. Should we stray from that, your advocate would be there to safe guard your secrets."
"Confidantes and advocates I do not lack, Mademoiselle, but what do my servants and lawyers know of such mysticism? How could they tell the wheat from the chaff, as it were? Mademoiselle, I may not be an academic, but I am a learned man, and my father insisted that I become proficient in logicks and philosophy, that it might enrich my mind and equip me with reason, the greatest of God's gifts."

He looks to Kasumi.

"Have my answers satisfied you, or is there still more of my time you wish to occupy?"
Kasumi gives the Count a slight bow of apology. "Just a few more questions. You said that Tingarson-san's proclivities for boys was a secret, yet his assassin used that knowledge to gain his trust. Who else could have known about Tingarson-san's sexual preferences? Also, how do you know that it was his latest partner that killed him specifically, and not anyone else?"
"Your second question is easier to answer, Mademoiselle. My friend Tingarson, for better or for worse, did not like the Imperial people as a whole. He shunned my visitors and refused to deal with those that sought him out. When he was smitten by an Imperial boy, I took notice of such an extraordinary event. And I knew that if his killer was an Imperial, he would either have had to be invited in, or known Herr Tingarson's house very well. Both would very much suggest the boy, do you not agree? As for who would have known of his...persuasion, I can only speculate. I did my best to make it...sensible for the few who knew to hold their tongues, and I am confident none broke the agreement. But there are information brokers in this city - and yet, this information would not come cheaply. Mayhap you have more familiarity with such people than I do; I count none of lowlives in this city among my allies."

Both Kasumi and Aiko twig on the formulation of that last sentence. It's not quite a lie, but...it does suggest something that is not quite the truth, either.

"Someone of your position either counts someone as an ally or an enemy," Kasumi says. "Are there any of these brokers who would want you, Tingarson-san, or both dead or disgraced?"
"Certainly I have not made friends with them. You are, perhaps, familiar with Herr Adler and his band of children? They covet the riches gathered in these halls, and my guards have sent a few of them to the city jail for attempted thievery. I would not think so low of his mind to suggest that he harbors a grudge against me, but it is well possible that if he happened upon some piece of knowledge that might hurt me, he would be more than happy to sell it."
"Who would procure the young men for Herr Tingarson's bed?" Aiko asks, maybe a touch grimly. It doesn't surprise her at all to hear Adler's name mentioned in this fashion, but the idea he seeks to play her so inelegantly rankles. "This person would have to be very trusted and very discrete, for I imagine such an invitation could not be easily made in person between the youth and Herr Tingarson."
"Good friends we were, Mademoiselle, but I was not privvy to such details," the Count says. "Truthfully, I said to myself that the less I knew of how he went about it, the better it would be for everyone."
"Forgive me my lord, but you strike me as a man who though he might not know of details would know well enough the workings of a dear friend's household enough to recognise who amongst its members would be trusted with matters of such delicacy if only by association with other such matters you had seen them been entrusted; there are always tasks that those as exalted as yourself can not handle directly lest that exalted station be tarnished. It is the way of your land as well as ours."
"A logical argument, enticing me to speculation on my good friend's household after his death - a loathsome topic, but very well, if it will help your investigation. The house's majordomo was Herr von und zu Stucker, a man descended from a prestigious line of house managers not entirely unlike some people - such as me - might follow the parentage of a fine showbreed. I've no certainty, but if it was not done by him, then I can scarcely imagine it done without at least his knowledge. I would add, however, that I aim not to cast any aspersions on Stucker's character - distantly though I knew him, he always struck me as an upright gentleman with not one bad fiber in his being."
"The honour of his house is his own?" the Inquisitor asks. "As such, finding the murderer of his lord without the manner in which the assassin gained entry becoming public knowledge would be weighing heavily upon him and any future employment, yes?"
Kasumi nods in agreement. "Sounds like a good place to start asking questions, to me."
"Such unpleasant notions you raise," the Count says. "Is this the whole of your profession, then, first trickery, then intimidation? Answer me honestly, please, that I might convince myself not to think less of you."

Kasumi levels her gaze at the Count. "We are here to find the truth, Count. If everyone was decent enough to tell us what they knew upon our arrival, we wouldn't need to ask in the first place." Not a hint of waver or second-thoughts in her voice or demeanor. "We will find who ordered Tingarson-san killed, Count. Thank you for your assistance." She bows in respect to him.

"I do sincerely hope you will do just that - my hurt feelings aside, I appreciate the artistry of justice as greatly as any honest man does. Now, if you would kindly see yourselves out, I must have this room fixed up. It would not do to entertain my other guests in a suite dissembled."

Kasumi looks over at Aiko and cocks an eyebrow. Well, anything else?

"Who benefits, my lord, from your removal from society?" she asks, moving slowly around the room. "I do not for a moment doubt that you are at least partly occupied with why it was to your household we were guided in the hope that evidence of your friendship with Herr Tingarson might be discovered and misconstrued."
"I am not too humble to say that the better part of Kargbeck's finer society has intimate ties with me," the Count says. "Were I to stumble, or be stumbled...I do not see how anyone could hope to take my place, or benefit disproportionally from my misfortune. I can only see chaos in the wake of such."
"Such is often the case when great pillars are felled," Aiko nods. She reaches out and tousles Yukio's and Kasumi's hair slightly, followed by her own. Just enough to make it look like it has been rearranged in a bit of a hurry. "As such, it pays to ensure it is from time to time reinforced."
Kasumi gives Aiko a "do that again and you'll be missing a hand" look before returning to the Count. "Chaos? Do you mean such as would be advantageous to a band of young thieves?"
"And no less convenient to any number of people who do not wish this city well," the Count says. "A society is resilient, Mademoiselle, a fallen pillar, as your friend put it, will not bring down the entirety, but it will weaken it. My friend was an important man in his own right. If you wished ill on Kargbeck, would you not make maneuvers such that the best and mightiest of its citizens were removed, that the masses might offer less resistance to your violence?"
"Thieves and usurpers," Kasumi muses, then returns to the Count. "Well, thank you for your time, and I apologize for the necessary intrusion." She hands the Count his letter and bows again. "Good day."
"Fare thee well, Mademoiselle," the Count replies, then quietly shoos you outside and closes the bedroom door behind you.

"That was more informative than I thought it would be," Yukio comments. "Maybe we should question nobles more often, they seem much more forthcoming with information than thieves and ninja."
"I have known common criminals and murderers who have been far more honest and forthcoming, even without persuasion, than those who have their nobility to hide behind and defend," Aiko shakes her head. "We were simply lucky that his lordship was more or less a good man with nothing he felt the need to hide and the nobility to trust those who entered his house under the shroud of falsehood."
Kasumi's expression darkens at the mention of nobles. "I agree." She looks over at Aiko. "So, this Adler character you know seems to be less interested in helping us than you thought."
"I've never thought his interest in helping us extended any further than helping himself in some fashion. But it seems that the fashion has become... cutting edge."

(OOC: Cue sunglasses and the opening bars of that song :P)

Kasumi suppresses a giggle at that while Yukio stifles her own. "Come on, let's go before his guards throw us out for making jokes like that."
"We are three maidens exiting his bed chamber whose composure is slightly less than that we displayed when we entered," Aiko points out, feeling a little unclean that this whole idea isn't a unique occurance to her, "so I imagine they are more likely commenting on their lord's virility than listening to our idle gossip."

Kasumi takes Yukio's arm and walks towards the door with a smile on her face. "Aiko, we shall have to investigate where your sense of humor has gone off to next."
Aiko folds her arms into her sleeves. "I'm just considering the logistics of commissioning the painting of the two of you in bed together that I promised him," she says innocently.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-06-13 15:33:50
Quote:

"Find anything interesting?"

"Exactly the reason we felt it best to conclude our operation here," Toshiba replies. "No contracts, just a store of poorly-imitated Ayami techniques brushed by someone with an equally-poor sense of comedy. We did find what has to be a payment of some kind. I suggest we ask... what did you call him? Sunshine? Let us ask him from who and for what that coin was procured."
Gatac 2011-06-13 16:11:55
After a quick toss of the area to make sure you're not missing any further Killer Bees hiding out in the boathouse, a splash of water brings their leader back to consciousness. Surrounded as he is by the three people who have just kicked his team's ass quite thoroughly, he doesn't make a move to fight them.

"O'ight, you blokes take this round." He takes a longer look at you. "So you and me's been properly introduced, sunshine," he says to Takao, "it's those two lads I can't figure out. You got Ayami steps, but one a ya's wearing Red Dragon colors and the other's - mate, what kind of color is that? A Blue Oni costume, is that wot? That's a right batty idea, it is."
Kagemaru 2011-06-13 17:11:28
Kagemaru kneels down in front of the enemy and musters him from top to bottom.

"It's not important who we are. Important is who you are working for."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-06-13 17:12:17
"It is," Toshiba agrees, "So you know we are unhinged, unpredictable, and are prone to outbursts of ultraviolence. To that end, keep your tongue waggling the truth and you'll keep your life and maybe more besides. Now, Sunshine here is going to ask you some questions."

Toshiba turns to Takao, whispering, "I can follow a miscreant's trail for weeks but I have no talent for slicing through lies. I imagine a man of honor surrounded by subterfuge must have means of sensing the truth when he hears it, else he would not have survived this long? Please, ask him about the money and why he and his men were here."
MikeS 2011-06-13 20:02:09
Takao rumbles back in a low voice "I wouldn't know about "being surrounded by subterfuge", I usually keep things simple. I'll see what I can do; the kind of body language I'm good at reading has less to do with lies. And... don't call me sunshine."

He turns to the ninja boss:"Ambush is not something I endorse; I much prefer open combat. Yet an ambush occurred, instigated by these two gentlemen over here. I do not endorse torture, either..." Takao lets the sentence hang significantly, then continues "but I assume a ninja is willing to die a painful death for the cause of clan at a moments notice. Or does that only extend to the rabble?" He casts a quick glance backwards at the sliced up bodies.

"Tell us about the money. Tell us about your mission."
Gatac 2011-06-16 19:35:21
(Takao's Intimidate: 1d20+10 = 29)

(Killer Bee Boss's Resolve: 1d20+8 = 18)

"Easy, easy, sunshine, you'll find me a most reasonable bloke," the Killer Bee says. "I know when you've got to suck it up and do what the man with the bloody sword wants."

"To answer Mr. Shady first...the Count hired us, that fatty fop. Some fool shanked his best mate and where there's money, there's revenge to be had. We figured we'd put the squeeze on this Adler bloke - seems a tiny little bit ill-advised, in hindsight..."

He glances towards the sloop.

"That money? Help yourself! It's the payment for the job. And to be quite honest with you lads, wasn't like we were getting anywhere with it, what with losing a whole team of scouts to Adler's boys...oh, sod me, that was you, too, wasn't it? Holy Hanna do you blokes carry a grudge. What'd we do to piss in your pudding, then?"
Kagemaru 2011-06-16 21:33:07
"Wait, you mean besides killing those boys right under our nose and then attacking one of us? Nothing I guess." Kagemaru responds to the enemy leaders query.
Gatac 2011-06-16 21:40:31
"My boys were just eliminating witnesses, nothing personal," the Killer Bee Boss says. "I'll give you blokes my scouts then, but what in the bleeding seven hells are you doing here?"
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-06-17 20:29:33
"The Count's best mate?" Toshiba asks. "The Count hired you to find out who killed Tingarson?" Toshiba's head started to hurt. The plan had been simple; find evidence the Killer Bees were in cahoots with the Count. Then the plan changed to "kill the Bees and claim the payment was for assassination". But... this ninja here had no reason to lie anymore, Takao had seen to that. And what he was saying sounded like either the Count was still the target or, more and more likely, Adler was using them as catspaws.

Toshiba left the Ayami because he would not be their catspaw, and he was not about to get back on that ox-cart.

"Tell us what you found out about Adler, then, and I think we can all leave here without any more blood staining these docks."