Paybacks - Chapter 2: Siberian Standoff

CrazyIvan 2005-01-05 09:10:03
Brian smiles and shakes his head, giving her the universal "Don't mind me, mostly talking to myself." expression.
punkey 2005-01-05 13:41:12
Moten wishes he'd opted for Eastern European languages instead of Middle Eastern dialects. He opens a pad of paper and "Read English?" on it.
Dieter 2005-01-05 14:41:09
Quote:

Quote: from Punkey on 7:41 am on Jan. 5, 2005
Moten wishes he'd opted for Eastern European languages instead of Middle Eastern dialects. He opens a pad of paper and "Read English?" on it.

(gesturing with her thumb and index fingers)

"A little bit."
punkey 2005-01-05 14:52:28
Moten holds up the picture of Jess and writes "Have you seen her?" on the pad of paper.
Dieter 2005-01-05 15:12:12
The nurse's eyes grow wide upon seeing Jess' photo.

"Eh....yes! (pointing at Jess' photo) Doctor come with...with man...he bleed bad. Later, other woman come in...she also bleed bad. I help Doctor (pointing at Jess' photo) fix man then fix woman."
Dieter 2005-01-05 18:39:22
Meanwhile...

Trans-Siberian Express to Krasnoyarsk (en route)

Their door closed by the babushka, Ayumi and Carla hear a heated exchange of words outside their cabin. Neither of the agents are quite sure of the nature of the argument, but the yelling match seems to end abruptly with the distinct sound of fist-meeting-face.
threadbare 2005-01-05 19:31:05
Carla pulls her knife out from its sheath and palms it (blade hidden within sleeve), preparing to greet in the universal language anyone who busts in looking to get them.
punkey 2005-01-05 21:44:13
"Well, at least we know she's been here," Moten says to Brian. He turns back to the nurse and writes "Can you take me to the man?" on the pad.
Dieter 2005-01-05 22:01:22
The nurse shakes her head.

"Nyet. After we fix, they go. Fast."

(looks at her watch, holds up four fingers)

"They...they go...four..four hour."

She smiles, happy that her Engrish is passable to Moten and Brian. Her story is plausible and it would seem that the lady would have no reason to lie about it.
CrazyIvan 2005-01-06 07:34:31
Brian smiles at the nurse, glad the woman was able to help, and glad she looks fairly pleased with herself.

"Been here, and is now gone...with two unknown companions. This is getting...fun."
CrazyIvan 2005-01-06 13:45:16
Ayumi taps on her glasses' x-ray function to give her a view of the corridor and then settles her hands inside her jacket on the hilts of her wakizashis, ready to swing them out and into an intruder's fleshy bits.
Dieter 2005-01-06 14:58:57
Ayumi activates her x-ray specs, peering through the cabin wall and sees two male figures accosting(presumably) the babushka while she attends to (again presumably) her younger colleague who is sitting on the floor, hands to her face.

A cursory scan of the two men identifies the following objects:

Male #1
-Pistol (shoulder holster), two extra clips
-Knife (boot)
-Brassknuckles (currently worn on left hand)

Male #2
-Pistol (drawn), two extra clips in shoulder holster.
-cellphone
-pager
Gatac 2005-01-06 15:07:31
Seconds pass while the chase goes on. Peter steals another glance at the police car behind them.

"I've thought this through. We need to stop and explain things before we get into more trouble. I mean, it was just an accident, right? They'll understand."
Dieter 2005-01-06 15:07:49
Siberian Hwy (cont.)

Artis pulls the rig over to the highway's shoulder, looking out his side-mirror at the policecar behind him. Surprisingly, the cops appear to more concerned with the occupants of the Mercedes rather than the rig.

The car skids to a stop with both policemen getting out with guns drawn. Though inaudible from the distance, Artis can see the unmistakable signs of a extended-burst muzzleflash from the interior of the Mercedes. The cop on the passenger-side drops to the ground in a red mist as his partner opens fire on the Mercedes.