Piecemeal

Gatac 2014-09-14 06:49:05
"Lady Ishikawa would make the time to meet Toshiro and me when we enter the capital," Homi says. "Obviously the Blue Oni would not be welcomed into the city with open arms, but perhaps you could find a guise to adopt that would let you accompany us. I would prefer as many of us out of sight as possible, however - no need to show more to Ikishi's agents than we have to. Our dear friend RZA of the Killer Bees obviously had a way to meet with Ishikawa in a covert manner given his employment situation - you could set to finding him first and asking his assistance. Though he might be harder to find initially than Lady Ishikawa, he is not under heavy guard and observation. Given his...brash and flashy ways, I'm sure a hunter of your caliber would have little trouble picking up his trail."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-09-17 08:44:50
"Done," Toshiba agrees. "Infiltrate the capital, find RZA, meet with Ishikawa, continue her investigation, rescue Kichirou, and secure Hetechi's support." He laughs. "When you say it quickly enough it belies the task facing us. We'll leave as soon as we are ready."
Gatac 2014-09-17 13:21:50
“As for our grand strategy in regards to Ikishi,” Homi says, "I yield the floor to Kirika."

Kirika looks around, surprised at being given the floor. Her friends, Matsumoto-same, “Rock” Lee, the Shadowwatch ninjas, even Bumi up in the rafters are looking to her, waiting for her to lay out the plan that will get them on track to their confrontation with the dreaded spider at the center of the web of intrigue. "Well," she says as she stands up, "I think the greatest weapon we have is what Homi-san said - Ikishi is ruthless, and will not hesitate to turn on those she thinks have turned on her. That means that a single meaningful incident of betrayal to her cause, and she will drive the subject of her wrath to our side. Hopefully, it will not come to that for many of them, but if we cannot persuade them to join our cause, then that will be our backup plan. As for entering the city itself, our original plan still stands. Toshi will resume his childhood cover as young Lord Tatsuno, returning from his conquest of his ancestral lands, and those of us able to show our faces in public are his entourage - which includes Homi-san, who will accompany him in his role as Shadowguard protecting the Lords of the capitol. Yukio will be..."
“His most recent conquest,” Yukio says with a smirk. “Keep your lies close to the truth, yes?”
Toshi smirks right back as he puts his hand on top of hers. “I can make that work,” he says.
"And I will be his attaché," Kirika replies. "Obviously, the Lord is too busy putting his affairs in order in the court to attend to other matters, leaving me with the duties instead."
“Exactly,” Toshi says. “Of course, Ikishi’s going to recognize me, but seeing us waltz into the capital openly like this will protect us from an immediate response while forcing her to act. And while she’s busy dealing with us, you guys” - he nods to the assembled ninjas - “can work your magic behind her back.”
"And it will give us a chance to give her a poke in the eye," Kirika says with a smirk, nodding to Homi.
“Yes,” Homi says. “The key to our success is that we are many united in purpose, while Ikishi’s allies only move on her orders. We can keep her occupied and even provoke her with those of us who reveal themselves, while subverting her power and influence from the shadows. By the time she can react, we will have neutralized most of her alliances, and will stand a chance of confronting her and her inner circle directly.”
Kirka nods. "Indeed." She looks over the group. "What do you all think?"
Matsumoto is first to speak. “A good plan,” he says. “Weaken her, then we move in for the killing blow.”
“Very good,” Lee says. “To explain our army, Tatsuno’s conquest will have been somewhere on the mainland, then - lots of little fiefdoms to knock over, with lands shifting so quick that nobody will blink an eye at the story.”
“Nice detail,” Toshi says.
“How are we going to deal with Ikishi’s group of killers?” Yukio cautions. “We’ll certainly face them before we can lay a hand on her.”
“By getting my sister out of the line of fire first, I hope,” Lee adds. “You already have the bowman, so that just leaves two men.” He looks around. “Tell me you can handle two men in a fight.”
“Two men that we know of,” Yukio says.
"One we know is a gonneman of skill comparable to Sidewinder - but not superior," Kirika says, nodding Sidewinder's way.
“And the other a swordsman who clearly seemed to like his chances against any of us,” Yukio says. “I suggest we stab the first and shoot the second. We have all the talent we need, why engage them on their terms?”
"The problem will be getting them to a situation where such things can happen, which I suspect will not be easy," Kirika says. "But lacking any good information about where they are, what they're doing, and where we could go, this is a discussion we will have to have at a later date."
“Indeed,” Homi says. “Are there further concerns, then?”
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-09-17 13:37:56
"How can we get your sister to join us?" Toshiba asks Lee. "We'd have to either contact her before engaging the other two, which seems less than reliable, or display a winning hand before entering combat. Equally unreliable, given the reported skill levels at work here."

Toshiba looks over at the hawk-eagle perched nearby. "On a different note, I believe I could use Konoko to coordinate between our various groups. Sharing information will be difficult otherwise without exposing ourselves."
Gatac 2014-09-20 12:45:54
"I like to think seeing me would do the trick," Lee says. "Getting rid of Ikishi's agents on the mainland would help, of course."
"Hmm," Toshi says, looking to Homi. "I might have an idea for that. Give me a day in the capital to reach out to some old friends."
"As long as it does not involve going to the onsen again," Homi replies.
"I'll have you know that was very educational," Toshi replies.
"I'm glad you got something out of it besides the broken arm, then," Homi says with a smirk, then surveys the room and turns to Kirika. "The young ninja Bumi seems to have taken her leave together with my Shadowwatch. Would you go and make sure she's all right?"
"Of course, Hiro," Kirika replies.

---

Bumi didn’t stick around for the big discussions - not her place, and boring as shit anyway. However, having a new place to sneak and climb and generally ninja around is something else, and Kirika finds the girl on the high beam across the well, practicing her assassin perch as she scans the night.
“Your technique seems pretty good,” Kirika says from behind her.
“Well, duh,” Bumi says without turning around. “What do you know about ninja techniques anyway, Miss Twigstepper?”
“A few things,” Kirika says. “I’m learning pretty fast, hanging out with Kiara, Kagemaru and Toshiba.” She steps up next to Bumi’s perch. “See anything out there?”
“...nah,” Bumi says. “I lost track of the Shadowwatch guys five minutes ago. I think they’re playing with me, but that’s okay, they’re cool, I’ll let it slide.” She turns and looks to Kirika. “Sweet tats.”
“They were my father’s,” Kirika replies, and gives the young woman a bow. “Kirika Kamura.”
“Uh, hey, I’m Bumi,” the young girl says. “Heeeeeey, Kamura? Like, Kamura-kensei?”
Kirika nods. “The same.” She pauses. “...I suppose that makes me the new Kamura-kensei.”
“That’s pretty awesome,” Bumi says, shifting her stance from a kneeling perch to sitting on the beam with her legs dangling down. “I wish I had a cool secret weapon technique, too. I mean, Kiara’s so awesome she’s got a big sword and the fire-breathing, and Kagemaru, woah, I don’t even know what his deal is but the dude punishes with his moves. I’m thinking, maybe throwing knives? I mean, Ramma’s the bow guy, and Toshiba’s kinda the stabbing guy but I’m not sure if he throws, too.”
Kirika nods. “And what are you willing to give up for it?”
Bumi kinks her head to the side. “Huh?” she says.
“Kiara got that sword off of the body of a man who murdered Yukio’s brother for it - and she has been forced to the edges of the Ayami in the process,” Kirika points out. “Kagemaru hasn’t mentioned it, but I gathered from Hiro that there’s a pretty powerful curse attached to that cloak. Ramma was burnt and his arm shattered, and then drugged and tortured by Ikishi who gave him that bow and training, and Toshiba endured years of suffering before he could get his revenge.”
“...bummer,” Bumi says. “But yeah, throwing knives, yea, nay? I’m thinking it could work, but I don’t want to step on anyone’s turf. Nothing worse than showing up to a fight with a guy who’s biting your secret technique, you know?”
“Or you could just focus on being better than anyone else at it,” Kirika says, not missing a beat. “Then they’d all be biting you.”
“There’s a thought,” Bumi says. “Bumi’s Bitter...no, Bumi’s Brilliant Barrage! Yeah!” She looks over to Kirika with a smirk. “So, uh, turns out I gotta go practice, do you have, like, a wall you wouldn’t mind getting a few knife-holes in?”
Kirika points over to the dojo. “We put up a torso-sized wooden post for just the occasion.”
“Nice,” Bumi says. With a ‘watch this’ wink, she slides backwards off the beam, hooking it with her legs just enough for her to get her hands on the edge of the well before she flips back onto the feet in a reverse cartwheel dismount. With a flick of her wrist, she produces a throwing knife from her sleeve, flicks it up into the air and catches it behind her back. “Alright, gotta go, thanks for the tip,” she says. “Stay hard, Kamura-kensei.”
“Keep practicing, Bumi,” Kirika says, and watches her run off towards the dojo.

Another twig snaps behind Kirika as Copperhead politely announces himself. “Do you want me to watch her?”
“What have you noticed so far?” Kirika asks.
“A thrillseeker kept barely alive through considerable, but unfocused talent,” Copperhead opines. “A perfect match for our group, it seems.”
“Anything else?” Kirika says, ignoring the editorializing.
“An interesting pattern of scars on her back, which press through her clothes when she arches her back,” Copperhead says. “I do not claim to be an expert on Ayami teaching methods, but I would venture that she was frequently punished for disobedience. The knife tricks she was showing off are not usually taught to youngsters in our clan, or any clan I am aware of. Given these pieces of information, I would venture that she has a good relationship with her weapons instructor, and is likely far ahead of the standard curriculum.”
Kirika frowns. “Relative to being beaten severely enough to leave scars like that? And the fact that she ran away so readily…” She sighs. “Keep an eye on her. Make sure that she doesn’t do anything...foolhardy.”
“Of course, Kamura-sama,” Copperhead says. “If it is my place to say so - when we have the chance, we should inquire of retaining Yu’s expertise to treat the girl. I can only imagine the great benefit she would receive from being able to focus and control her impulses like I can.”
“I...don’t think that’s necessary,” Kirika says, and looks to Copperhead. “You know that I trust you, Copperhead, and that I value your input very highly. But...there are better ways to address problems than cutting them out.”
“There are more solutions than problems in this world,” Copperhead says. “Merely making sure you are aware of as many as possible, Kamura-sama. Please forgive the unsolicited opinion.”
“No forgiveness is needed,” Kirika says. “The fact that you care enough about Bumi to suggest something so drastic is encouraging.” A moment later, she continues. “And curious. Do you...do you see some of your past in her, or do you simply think that she could benefit?”
“I hear another question behind the one you asked,” Copperhead says. “Of course my clan did everything conceivable in their attempts to discipline me - far worse than what has been done to the girl, I assure you. My suggestion that we turn to solution that has already proven quite effective is, I will admit, partially borne of a desire to see her spared from what I went through before I could be helped. Then again, there is a wide chasm between her youthful exuberance and my...tendencies.”
“I do not refer to what your clan did to discipline you for your actions,” Kirika replies. “I ask if you feel that you might share experiences similar to what might have given rise to that anger - or such a combination of disobedience, perfectionism, and sublimated desire to escape.”
“I do not know enough about her to make such a call right now,” Copperhead says, “but it bears discussion.” He turns to look at the dojo. “I will go help her. Perhaps we will broach the topic later on.”
Kirika bows to Copperhead. “Please, do. And let me know if you find anything out - within the bounds of her trust. You might need it to get her to open up.”
“I will inform you if there is need for further discussion with her,” Copperhead says. “A good night to you, Kamura-sama.”
“And to you as well, Copperhead,” Kirika says, and watches Copperhead step silently off. She shakes her head. “Was everyone you came across in such need of help too, Father?”

Only a gentle breeze answer Kirika’s question.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-09-22 15:10:39
"We are starting to get ahead of ourselves," Toshiba decides. "Lee, you are right - you are our best option to sway your sister. We'll refocus on getting in quietly and finding RZA."
Gatac 2014-10-02 06:49:38
"Exactly," Lee says. "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it."
"Then let us pack for the voyage," Homi says, clapping Toshi on the shoulder. "It is time we celebrate Lord Tatsuno's triumphant return with the proper pomp and circumstances."

---

An auspicious day begins under the banner of a rising sun (and an actual rising sun in the heavens, too), and strategically bribed heralds and messengers begin to spread the tale: Lord Tatsuno is making his triumphant return after gaining riches and fame on the mainland and establishing his own protectorate in the heart of the barbarian lands! (Wait, who’s Lord Tatsuno? - Shit, don’t look at me. - Well, he’s a noble. Just go with it!) And there comes his entourage now, cresting the hill of the trade road leading into the capital! Up front, of course, the very Lord Tatsuno himself, and wow, isn’t he dashing and handsome? Beside him, his...oh, that must be his fiancee! Wow, what a catch, too! Riding just behind him are his bodyguard, another lady samurai, as well as the Shadowguard himself, Hiro Homi, here to protect one of the Empire’s youngest warlords on his victorious return! And behind them, the splendour, the magnificence! Carts loaded with spoils, and a whole private army marching behind him - mainlanders all, clearly sworn to his loyalty! What a spectacle! What adoration and cheering from the crowds!

Toshi tries to keep a steady expression throughout the whole expertly set-up charade, smiling and waving at the people who have come out to cheer him because that’s what everybody’s doing. As the train winds through the trade post and heads for the capital proper, it could not possibly be drawing more attention - and Homi notices eyes in the shadows that are not under his command, swiftly darting away to go inform to their master - or, in this case, mistress. He steers his horse closer to Kirika until they’re trotting side by side.

“I do think we have her attention,” Homi says.
“Good,” Kirika says, keeping her smile on as she surveys the crowd. “Hopefully, she will meet us at the gates. I would hate for her to miss our big entrance.”
“We’ll see,” Homi says. “We can expect a few of the High Lords to make an appearance, in any event. They could all use a bit of positive word of mouth, and socializing with the returning conqueror is an easy way of it.” He pauses for a moment. “Let me do the talking if we are approached.”
Kirika cocks an eyebrow. “Any particular reason why?”
“I am a fellow High Lord, and you’re just a samurai,” Homi replies. “Even Toshi will be expected to do little more than nod and smile at their words. Let us preserve appearances while the public eye is upon us, yes?”
Kirika nods. “Of course, my Lord,” she says with a smirk.

Within ten minutes, the train has indeed reached the proper gates to the capital, symbolic as they are in these times, and you note that besides a bevvy of more spectators of commoners and minor nobles, there are four High Lords making an appearance for the occasion: Lord Shira, whose sparring kimono could easily pass as anyone else’s finery; Lady Ishikawa, in her police uniform and masked as ever, with arms folded in front of her chest; Lord Hetechi, whose sparkling rainbow kimono well support his nickname “The Rooster”; and Lord Tsukareta, the youngest among them in expensive but plain dress, with a contraption of metal and polished ground glass sitting in front of his eyes. Toshi and Yukio dismount, bowing to each High Lord in turn, getting enthusiastic returns from Shira and Hetechi while Ishikawa seems to view the whole thing as a waste of her time, and Tsukareta - well, his mind is elsewhere, though he politely goes through the motions, too. With that, Homi climbs off his horse as well, motioning for Kirika to follow him.

“Shadowguard!” Shira bellows, fake smile on face. “What ho, master of brigands?”
“All is in order, Shira,” Homi replies.
“And what of her?” Shira says, indicating Kirika. “What is thy name, senshi?”
Kirika bows deeply to the assembled High Lords. “Kirika Kamura, my Lords and Lady.”
“Truly you’ve the marks of one,” Shira says. “Whither are the Kamuras bound, long years after Ameda’s passing? No tale has reached us. Is your life Tatsuno’s own, or is coin your master?”
“Neither,” Kirika replies. “Lord Tatsuno’s people and lands were captured by a foul group of brigands that abused the people and pillaged the land. I aided his quest to recapture them, and now accompany him for a time as his bodyguard.”
“A fine tale,” Shira replies.
“Hrmph,” Ishikawa snorts.
“Go in peace, then, Kirika-kun,” Shira says. “Our presence is required elsewhere.” He turns to Homi. “Will we see thou at the council, Shadowguard?”
“I will endeavour,” Homi replies, giving him a short bow.

With another nod to Kirika, Shira turns and walks away, grabbing the reins of a horse from a waiting servant. With a thunderous cry, he rears the horse up, then has it gallop back up the trade road to his own estate outside of the city.

“Arrogant oaf,” Ishikawa mutters.
“Isn’t he a peach,” Hetechi says, a big grin on his face. “What ho indeed, Hiro! You look like your vacation was anything but! Getting into big adventures again, eh?”
“I’m never too old to get into trouble,” Homi says, smiling back at Hetechi. “How are things here?”
Hetechi’s smile briefly twitches. “Oh, same old, same old,” he says, walking up next to Homi and clapping his hand on his shoulder before embracing him. “It’s just good to have you back, old man.”
“And it’s good to see you, Rooster,” Homi replies, returning the hug.

As the two separate, Hetechi turns to Kirika and walks up to her, almost offering her his hand before remembering his audience.

“Kirika Kamura,” he says with a smile. “Looking straight out of one of the story scrolls, too - the spitting image of Kaede. I’ve always admired your family’s style. It’s good to see that it continues.”
Kirika smiles as she bows to Hetechi. “She was one of my favorite stories my father told growing up - to be compared with her is an honor,” she says. She reaches up over her head to take his hands - and passes a note to him in the process.

(Kirika’s Prestidigitation: 1d20+9 = 19
Ishikawa’s Notice: 1d20+22 = 26
Tsukareta’s Notice: 1d20+7 = 18)

Hetechi keeps smiling as he palms the note - obviously, hanging out with the Shadowguard lends itself to picking up a bit of ninja-ing - and Tsukareta seems oblivious to the whole affair. However, Kirika can feel Ishikawa’s eyes boring right through her, though the chief of police doesn’t say anything - yet.

“I’d like to have you all over for dinner,” Hetechi says. “So we can catch up on old times. What do you say, Hiro, Kirika? Can you fit that into your schedules, or is Tatsuno keeping you busy day and night?”
Kirika looks Toshi’s way, but doesn’t wait for him to respond. “We might be able to find the time, Lord.”
“Very good!” Hetechi says. “Until then, friends.” He turns away and raises his hand to wave to the crowd, who give him a cheer as he makes his way to his waiting horse coach and climbs inside.

“Nice show, Homi,” Ishikawa says as she walks over. “My men will take it from here. Now, would you kindly get this freakshow turned around and parked somewhere outside of city limits? No unauthorized weapons in my city.” She turns to look at Kirika. “Fancy swords included.”
“I can personally vouch for Kamura-san and everyone else in our group, too,” Homi says.
Ishikawa snorts. “Authorized by me, Homi. It’s bad enough that I’ve got your ninja pals on my rooftops ‘just passing through’. And thousands of soldiers under arms marching into my city, that’s not going to happen. No more exceptions. Are we all clear on this?”
“Begging your pardon, my Lady,” Kirika says with a flourishy bow, “but, given the threats that abound in this day and age - especially to those disposed to defend rather than exploit - perhaps some latitude for self-defense could be made? Perhaps not the gonnes of Lord Tatsuno’s forces, but the blades in our group?”

(Kirika’s Impress: 1d20+12+4+2+6 = 41
Ishikawa’s Resolve: 1d20+16 = 33)

Ishikawa’s eyes narrow behind her mask. “I’m not going to give a blanket authorization to thousands of blades, either. The army is a no-go. Make camp outside and send them into the city in small groups, unarmed. If there’s any trouble, my men will take care of it. As for you” - she pauses for a moment - “you have two options. One, you either leave your sword in safe storage here - I can’t endorse any one business, but they’re all certified by me and controlled by my men - and enter as anyone else would, then come to the Hall of Justice bright and early tomorrow to put in your application. Two, you come with me there right now, I interview you personally, and we’ll make a call right there.” She leans in. “And while we’re there, you two can explain to me what the hells you think you’re doing here. I know a distraction when I see one, and the Shadowguard plus a returning Lord plus a lost Kamura heir? I don’t like how that’s adding up, and I’m not willing to take it on faith that things are as you present them.”
“May we finish our introductions?” Kirika whispers back.
“Go ahead,” Ishikawa says. “I’ll be waiting.”

Ishikawa gives Homi a nod, then wanders off to the sidelines, where a group of her uniformed policemen is already waiting, while another takes over positions around Toshi and Yukio as they prepare to ride into the city proper. This gives Tsukareta the moment he’s been waiting for; he walks up to the two and bows slightly.

“Welcome back, Shadowguard,” Tsukareta says. “May I speak with Lady Kamura alone?”
Homi turns to Kirika, then nods and walks away.
“I have a good friend who would like to meet you,” Tsukareta says. “A...unique opportunity, for you and you only. If you want to avail yourself of it, come to the 4th Public Square this afternoon. She’ll be waiting for you there. If you don’t show up...she won’t see you again.”
“Then I should endeavor to be there,” Kirika responds.

(Kirika’s Notice: 1d20+11 = 31)

Kirika’s quite familiar with the potions and poisons Ikishi uses to control her minions - but Tsukareta is not under their spell, bright-eyed and clearly in the moment. His smooth movements, his clear enunciation, him making eye contact easily and his natural expressions likewise betray none of the problems that afflict Youta or Copperhead. By all appearances, Tsukareta’s a bright young man at the peak of health, both physically and mentally.
Kirika bows to Tsukareta once more. “Thank you for delivering the message, my Lord.”
“My pleasure,” Tsukareta says. “I hope to see you around, Lady Kamura.”
“And you as well, my Lord,” Kirika replies, and leans forward. “And a bit of friendly advice - it is poor tradecraft to show you know information I have not yet revealed, such as my status,” she whispers.
Tsukareta’s smile falters briefly. “I usually don’t work from the shadows,” he says. “To be honest, I find this sneaking around business dreadful, but it is how it is.”
“You aren’t doing too bad,” Kirika replies with a supportive smile. “Go and tell Lady Ikishi you did well.”

(Kirika’s Impress: 1d20+12+4+2+6 = 33
Tsukareta’s Resolve: 1d20+14 = 25)

“Uh, I really do have work to get back to,” Tsukareta says. “You’ll see her before I do. But I wouldn’t mind if you put in a good word for me.”
“It would be my pleasure,” Kirika says, and bows one more time. “My Lord.”
“A good day to you, Lady Kamura,” Tsukareta says, bowing in return, then he rushes off, hailing a rickshaw for hire to take him back to his office. With the High Lords departed, Toshi rides up to Homi and Kirika, with Yukio following.

“So, what’s the deal?” Toshi says. “Do we keep going?”
“You two go on,” Homi says. “You’ll have a police escort. I’ll go tell Lee to take his men back beyond city limits and then catch up with you. Kirika, you’ll go with Lady Ishikawa?”
Kirika nods. "It seems I don't have much of a choice," she says, giving a look Ishikawa's way. "And Ikishi wishes to meet this afternoon, as well."
“That was quick,” Homi says. “Do you want some Shadowwatch escorts?”
"Unless you are certain you can beat Ikishi's own shadows, nearby is the best we can do, for safety's sake," Kirika says.
“We’ll keep some distance, then,” Homi says. “Best of luck to you, Kirika. We’ll be at the guest house. Just ask for the Park Row, you will find it easily.”
Kirika nods to Homi, Toshi, and Yukio. Yukio can’t touch her dearest, so she settles for a soft smile, which Kirika returns before facing Ishikawa. "Lead the way, my Lady," Kirika says with a bow.

---

If only Lady Ishikawa knew just how much of a big fat distraction this was - with all eyes on the procession, it was easy enough for Toshiba and Kiara to simply swoop into the city from above, making their landing on the roof of a six-level tower - the likes of which would seem extravagant anywhere else, but make up an unsettlingly large proportion of the capital's inner districts. Not a lot of sunlight on some of those roads below - like the one where Lady Ishikawa is leading Kirika.

"Child's play to follow them from the rooftops," Kiara weighs in, perched on the ledge as if ready to pounce. "A bit harder to talk to the chief of law enforcement when you're a legendary outlaw..."

Just then, a living pile of clothes and shadows - Kagemaru - comes springing up onto the roof, looking like he went through a few clotheslines on the way.

"Did somebody say 'disguises'?" Kagemaru asks. "I thought I heard 'disguises'."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-10-02 15:59:30
"You did now," Toshiba replies, already looking through Kagemaru's pilfered wardrobe for an outfit that at least looked like the same person bought it. "We should skip RZA while Ishikawa and Kirika are about to talk. I have this feeling that we will not have much time for running down semi-friendly ninja contacts and then arranging clandestine meetings once those two talk it out. The pieces are moving already and the terrain shifts under us."
Gatac 2014-10-02 18:07:25
"Oh," Kagemaru says. "Well, we could just shadow them and listen in, but I was thinking about joining that conversation." He looks to Kiara. "Optional for those of us who don't like talking."
Gatac 2014-10-19 09:26:09
"Okay then," Kagemaru says as he throws clothes at Toshiba. "This and this and, oh, one of these..."

(Kagemaru's Disguise: 1d20+14 = 34 CRITICAL SUCCESS!)

At the end of it, Toshiba's not exactly sure how Kagemaru acquired the fine clothes of an Imperial bureaucrat, but the robes fit him well, taking into account the slight bulk of the armor beneath. The ninja-cum-living-shadow then runs his hand through Toshiba's greying hair, and while the hunter feels a slight tingle in his scalp, the hair now falls much straighter onto his shoulders. Kagemaru grabs it again, slices the ends off with his blade and then twists it all into a top knot. Before Toshiba can ask what's next, Kagemaru cups his hand over Toshiba's mouth, and there's a brief burning sensation before Kagemaru lets go - and as a quick touch confirms, the stubble of the last days is gone, leaving Toshiba more cleanly shaven than he's been in, well, a long while. No time to admire Kagemaru's shadow powers, though - he pulls Toshiba to his feet and presses his hand against his back.

"Stand straight," Kagemaru says. "Fold hands into your sleeves. You're more important than those peasants on the street - own it. And don't let Ishikawa catch you looking at her."
"You are full of surprises," Toshiba says.
"Well," Kagemaru says, "not every problem can be choked or stabbed. Go now, before you lose them."

---

(Toshiba's Sneak, +4 bonus from scenery: 1d20+21+4 = 43
Ishikawa's Notice: 1d20+22 = 40)

Their departure from the big commotion goes mostly unnoticed by the crowd, but still Lady Ishikawa and Kirika feel eyes upon them. The policemen around her start to walk with her, but she quickly dismisses them with a wave of the hand. Soon, they’re clear of the “return of the noble!” crowd and into the regular “capital of the Empire” crowd, waving past merchants, street sweepers, travelers and regular citizens going about their daily business, while a few horsecarts desperately try to weave through the people buzzing all over the streets. Kirika can see Ishikawa's eyes darting around even behind her mask, but whatever threat she's looking for, she's not finding it. Who would, indeed, suspect the Imperial bureaucrat, walking the city streets on an important assignment - and coincidentally staying within about fifteen feet of them, just close enough to hear them talking.

“Just so we’re clear,” Ishikawa says, “when I ask you questions, I want the truth from you, no matter what you think I might like to hear instead. Don’t try to butter me up, don’t try to give it to me gentle, and unless you want to get on my bad side, don’t lie to me. Are we clear?”
"Wouldn't dream of it," Kirika replies.
There is a pause, then Ishikawa speaks again. “What are you and Homi up to?”
"Stopping Ikishi, putting the true Emperor on the throne, and ensuring justice and peace reign instead of chaos and betrayal," Kirika says. "Pretty simple."
“Not the first time I’ve heard that recently,” Ishikawa says. “I guess he’s your friend, then. You know who I’m talking about?”
"Takao," Kirika says. "We are concerned for him, he did not meet us at the appointed time and place." She looks to Ishikawa. "What do you know of what happened to him? Is he all right? Does Ikishi have him?"
“There was an attempt on his life,” Ishikawa says. “He was snooping around a merchant called Mura, who we think has ties to Ikishi - Mura went to some trouble, including murder, to smuggle something into the city, but we couldn’t prove anything without hard evidence. Takao found a house full of leaflets calling for revolution - by all appearances printed on the machines of the foreigners. He went back to Mura’s warehouse to make enough noise that Mura would call for my policemen to remove him - at which point we’d get a look inside and hopefully see something there that would implicate Mura. The trouble is that Takao didn’t return. I didn’t get a report of a disturbance, either. I think it’s a fair bet Ikishi has him.” She pauses again. “So, what are you going to do?”
"If it's a disturbance you need, we have people that can aid with that," Kirika replies.
“Nevermind that now,” Ishikawa says. “Mura’s had the warehouse cleared out already. We’re back to square one. You should worry about your friend first.”
"Do you suspect he is being held with Hetechi's lover?" Kirika says. "That would simplify things immensely."
Ishikawa nods. “We’ve been trying to track down Kichirou for a while, but it’s essentially a cold case right now,” she says. “The only reason we had to suspect he’s still alive is that his body never turned up - and Hetechi would be easier to control with occasional signs of life from his lover.” She turns to Kirika. “Next question. How do you even know Ikishi kidnapped Hetechi’s lover? He told me in strict confidence, and I don’t think he’d endanger Kichirou’s life by spreading the word further.”
"Hiro, and Olafsen the pirate and ally of Ikishi - both formerly," Kirika replies. "I aided Holger in stopping Ikishi's plans in Kargbeck and convincing Olafsen to change sides."
“I heard Holger had taken over for Van Synt,” Ishikawa says. “So I have you to thank for it, then. Good to hear that the periphery of Ikishi’s network has weaknesses, because it’s been like trying to squeeze blood from a stone getting anyone around here to talk.” Another pause. “If it’s at all possible, I’d still prefer you go without your sword here,” she says. “It’s not just a matter of public safety, it’s also a question of perception - I don’t grant many exceptions, and each one gets a fair amount of scrutiny, especially when it’s so quick and with my own signature on every form. You’ll enjoy the same protection as anyone else does in this city from my policemen, but I can’t have them knowing that we share an understanding - I try to be careful with who I select to join my ranks, but given some...suspicious events, I’m no longer sure that we haven’t been infiltrated by Ikishi’s agents.”
Gatac 2014-10-21 14:58:44
The conversation soon winds itself from the narrow road to one of the city's many plazas. A glance upward confirms to Toshiba that his ninja brethren can only travel along the edges of the plaza for now, while his cover of twisty turns and thick crowds thins out considerably. Still, he is ninja. If he can't stay out of one lousy cop's sight...

(Toshiba's Sneak: 1d20+21 = 34
Ishikawa's Notice: 1d20+22 = 32
?: 1d20+15 = 25
Kirika's Notice: 1d20+11 = 22
Toshiba's Notice: 1d20+18 = 36)

Toshiba almost doesn't spot it in time, but the metal statues that line the plaza are freshly polished - and highly reflective. He immediately alters course and leans twice as hard on his "bureaucrat with important business" impression, seemingly in time to avoid Ishikawa noticing him. However, the twist reveals something else - a young man with the outwardly innocuous Shadowwatch braid on his belt is also following Ishikawa. And Toshiba's pretty sure that Hiro didn't say a word about that in the briefing.

That's a bit too much ninjaing behind Kirika's back, though, who's more worried about getting through to Ishikawa than watching for tails.

"Hiro told me of...the fire," Kirika says. "We will look into that as well, if you will allow. He speaks quite highly of you, you know."
“Forget it,” Ishikawa says. “That’s none of your business.” She stops and turns to look at Kirika directly. “Are you thinking about how easy it would be to pretend to be me, because of this mask?”
"Hiro has already vouched that it is you, and, if I may be honest, you are far too stubborn to be anything other than Ishikawa, as everyone else has described," Kirika replies. "That is good enough for me."
“Hiro this, Hiro that,” Ishikawa says. “You put a lot of stock in that ninja.”
"He might operate from the shadows, but he is truthful to those he trusts," Kirika replies. "You know this as well as I do."
“And the quality of his information?” Ishikawa says. “You are not only trusting him, but his...informants, too. The world I’m building has no need to trust a single man, nevermind a whole organization, implicitly. The watchers must be watched, and accountable.”
"If you'll pardon my frankness, my Lady, it seems that isn't the case yet," Kirika replies. "And I think he cares more about you and your plans than you might think."
“Your frankness needs no pardon - I welcome it,” Ishikawa says. “I know we’re not there yet. You probably think that everything would be so much easier if we could just do what we wanted, for the good of the Empire, just this one more time, and then, when we’re done and everything is good and all problems solved, we can start to follow the laws?”
"No, my Lady," Kirika says. "I think that as long as there are those who are above them, we will need those who have clear minds and good hearts willing to do the wrong thing so people like you don't have to."
“That’s a problem to be solved by bringing everyone to bow before the law, not by endorsing vigilantism,” Ishikawa says, and adds a sigh. “I cannot change everything by myself. And I know that, as long as there is an Emperor and his court, there will always be people outside of the law. I wish these institutions would go away, but as long as they exist, I work with what is there, and suffer the consequences - including letting people like Takao, Homi and you operate. But I very much look forward to the day when we can stop relying on such crutches.”
Kirika nods. "I have heard similar wishes before. You might do well to share these thoughts and desires with Lord Tatsuno; you might find him very receptive."
“And the Empire cares about his opinion?” Ishikawa asks, then suddenly falls silent. “I will consider it nonetheless. Now, practical matters. Are you going to need your sword today?”
"Ikishi has asked to meet me in a public square," Kirika replies. "I have not yet decided if it would be prudent or foolish to go armed."
“Or go at all,” Ishikawa says. “If you want to deal with that snake, I won’t forbid you whatever you think you need, but I’ll just say this: if you go armed in this city, you will not go anonymous. Eyes will be on you for every step of the way.”
Kirika spreads her arms wide to show off both her physique and her tattoos. "I believe that I am plenty notable as it is."
“Point taken,” Ishikawa says. “It’s your call. There’s some paperwork at the Hall of Justice for us either way - a license or a storage receipt.”
"This...was a gift from my father," Kirika says, rubbing her thumb on the end of the hilt of Crane's Dance. "I would prefer to keep it with me. I promise to only use it in defense of myself or others."
“Very well,” Ishikawa says, touching her hands on the twin jitte slung in her leather holsters. “Try not to kill anyone if you can help it?”
"If I can," Kirika replies. "And I have a question for you. What do you know of Ikishi's four agents? Yu, Ramma Yadonoshi, and Runo Kusanagi or 'Firebolt' are known to me, but I know nothing of the fourth."
“You’re far ahead of me as is,” Ishikawa admits. “I didn’t even know there were more than the archer who attacked Takao.”
"Excellent," Kirika replies. "Well, know that Yu is...not your enemy, and that Ramma - the archer - is safely dealt with and is getting better."
“Uh huh,” Ishikawa says. “Why don’t you write down what you know in my office? I can get my men searching within the hour.”
"Unless you want a bloody streak cut through their ranks, it would be best if only you and I know of them," Kirika says. "They are not a threat if you are not in their way, and telling your men would put them in their way."
“That’s my call to make,” Ishikawa says, “but we can start with police records and go from there once I know exactly what kind of danger we’re dealing with. Anything else?”
"Not at the moment," Kirika replies. "I just request that we keep your questioning as short as we can - I prefer to be early when I walk into a trap."
Ishikawa sighs as she sees visions of the bloody clash ahead. “Gods give me strength,” she mutters.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-10-21 15:15:43
Toshiba alters his course as naturally as he can, taking him closer to the Shadowwatch man.

"You there," he interrupts the young man, stepping into his path and bringing himself up into as haughty a bearing as he can muster. Thanks to Kagemaru's skills, Toshiba's ended up with a disguise higher in social status than the Shadowwatch guy, who's opted for "background crowd" or "alley denizen". Toshiba lets the bearing slip a little bit, throwing in a small embarrassed smile, as if his fictional bureaucrat was warming up to an uncomfortable question. In reality, however, he's giving Kirika and Ishikawa time to break this guy's tail.

"I seem to be... misinformed about the location of the Emerald Garden," Toshiba says. "My good friend Sakura Takagi asked to meet me there, and while I am familiar with the city, I have not yet had the pleasure of dining at this particular establishment. I'm sure you could point me in the right direction?"
Gatac 2014-10-21 15:18:37
"Sorry, Sir," the man answers with a quick bow. "I wouldn't know, I can't afford a fancy place to eat like that." He then makes an effort to sidestep Toshiba and resume his tail.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-10-21 15:22:29
"I am sorry to hear of your predicament," Toshiba replies, staying in front of the man and acting more puzzled before settling on a slightly annoyed frown. "I'm sorry, do you have to relieve yourself? Do you think you have somewhere you need to be? Because I assure you I need to be at the Emerald Garden. If coin is your concern, then let it trouble you no longer. Assist me and you shall be paid."
Gatac 2014-10-22 13:31:56
The man's lost just about all the time he can afford to with the soft approach, so his next move is to drop all pretense of not deliberately trying to brush off Toshiba and duck past him.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-10-23 13:42:04
Toshiba can't stop the man without revealing training his bureaucrat persona shouldn't have, so he lets the Shadowwatch go. Then he shuffles off to a nearby alley and clicks his tongue in a complicated rhythm. A moment later, Konoko spirals down from her perch somewhere above. Toshiba points out the Shadowatch man's braid to the hawk-eagle. "Follow him until you cannot, then come show me where he went."
Gatac 2014-10-23 14:13:26
"Kiii," Konoko cries, quiet enough not to draw too much attention, then jumps and flaps her wings, soaring off across the rooftops of the city.

"Shadowwatch, hm?" Kagemaru says, fading out of a nearby shadow as if from thin air. "The rooftops are clear, Kiara's keeping watch. RZA hasn't shown yet." He holds up a pilfered fruit for Toshiba to take. "Apple?"
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-10-23 16:30:48
Toshiba bites into the fruit, nodding his thanks. "I overheard Ishikawa speak of a merchant, Mura. He is implicated in Takao's disappearance, and more than likely is a pawn for Ikishi. The... whatever passes for law here... they seem to be overly burdened with rules and cannot take action. That leaves the merchant open to us."

The disguised Oni rubs at his now-clean chin, the surprise and completeness of Kagemaru's work surprising him for a moment. "Right now we have surprise on our side. We should all three of us move on Mura now, before Ikishi or Ishikawa are alerted to our presence. RZA can find us after, and Konoko will find me regardless. Besides, those two women" - Toshiba nods in the direction Kirika and the cop walked - "can take care of themselves."
Gatac 2014-11-01 12:30:07
The Hall of Justice shines bright - it better should, being that it’s one of the newest and most foreign additions to the capital’s skyline, with construction only fully wrapped up two years ago. Lady Ishikawa strolls into the main entrance like she owns the place - which, to be fair, she does -, receiving more than a few snappy salutes from the policemen and clerks inside. She leads Kirika past the desks of the open office area to her own, more secluded space - a large room with windows to three sides, watching over the common area and stacked high with records upon writs upon scrolls - if Ishikawa isn’t plugged into every single investigation in the city, she’s at least making a damn good effort to stay on top of them all. There’s no second chair for her to offer to Kirika, so she remains standing, too.

“Now then,” Ishikawa says, digging around for an empty parchment and a brush. “You can start with writing down what you know about Lady Ikishi’s associates. I’ll write out a weapon permit for your sword in the meantime.”
Kirika stands and looks around the room-sized fire hazard. “Are your efforts particularly successful?”
“In curbing crime?” Ishikawa asks. “It’s difficult to tell. We certainly handle more cases every year. Part of it is that the city is growing so much - part of it is that now, we get a lot more reports from people who would have kept quiet before. It’s good to be trusted, but we’re not as...efficient...about solving everything as I want us to be. The hardest part has been dealing with the courts. They want those criminals to step up and confess everything. They know nothing about evidence or scientific proof - they don’t want to know.” Ishikawa sighs. “Enough about my problems, though. What can you tell me?”
Kirika takes a seat in front of the scroll and starts to write in her most deliberate characters. “I can tell you that she has pulled in some of the most skilled fighters I have ever seen as her personal guard and fixers,” she says. “You know Olafsen’s reputation, the fact that she managed to bring a pirate of his worth to heel is no small feat. Yu Lee is a healer of the highest talent, with her whole people held for ransom. Runo Kusanagi - ‘Firebolt’ - is one of the best gonne-fighters in the Empire, and I expect this mysterious swordsman to be similarly skilled. And she nearly orchestrated a hostile takeover of Stonesky - Yu Lee’s brother is a general in their army, and was promised land and protection in return for taking Stonesky with the aid of mercenary lieutenants. I believe the plan was for him to be assassinated in order to render his people’s army leaderless and open to an easy defeat at the hands of Ikishi’s army, handing her an easy military victory to boost her image and prove her claim of foreigner threat.”
“Hm,” is all Ishikawa says in response. The gears are turning behind that unmoving mask, but whatever she’s thinking, she’s not ready to share it. “The swordsman,” she says. “Is there anything more you can tell me about him?”
“Wears a black outfit and mask, white sash to hold his sword - a straight sword, like the foreigners,” Kirika says, “but he speaks with a proper accent. I haven’t seen him fight, but I expect him to fight like them to some extent.” She puts a final stroke on a character. “That is all I know.”
“Hmm.” This one’s a bit longer. “I think Firebolt is our best lead, then,” she says. “A bandit with an ego like this is surely leaving tracks in the minds of tavern owners and the like.” Her eyes fix on Kirika again. “Suppose we found him. What would you have my men do with him?”
“Hold him for questioning,” Kirika says. “And then...he’s yours. Like you said, he’s a bandit, there’s plenty of places that want him punished, you can just take your pick.”
Ishikawa nods slowly. “If he can be brought in alive,” she says. “Do you have any inkling of what Ikishi’s next steps might be now? She’s meeting you for lunch - that suggests to me that she feels you are no threat to her. Given the scale of what you have already uncovered, the thought of what her larger scheme might be does not make me comfortable.”
“Or she thinks I’m a very large threat, and wants to feel me out first,” Kirika replies as she continues her notation. “That’s what I’d do if I was her.”
“Sounds reckless,” Ishikawa says, “but I get what you mean. A show of confidence does not require confidence itself, just the appearance.” She looks down at the almost filled weapon license form and hovers her brush over the signature line. “There is a question I keep coming back to. What is to be done if you and your friends fail? I am quite willing to be put to the sword for my principles, should Ikishi feel the need to revenge herself upon me for helping you, but I also have a larger picture to consider. I could simply try to carry on as if nothing had changed and do the best within the limits of my power. Or lead my own futile crusade against Ikishi, so that at least I might enter the Heavens on the wings of my principles...or I could see that my men are spared if I quietly disappear.” She looks to Kirika. “What would you advise?”
Kirika looks up at Ishikawa. “The smart thing to do would be to keep your head down, do the best you can within the limits of your power, and try to keep what little you have control over on the right path. Ikishi might see this as you giving in to her, and leave you be so long as you do not cross her.” She pauses. “But you and I did not get where we are by doing the smart thing when it runs counter to what we know we must do. I would advise that you follow what your principles are already telling you to do - prove that Ikishi has done these great wrongs, bring her crimes into the light, and lead the fight to stop her. We are both women of action, Lady Ishikawa, shying away from doing what we know is right does not suit us.”
Ishikawa nods as she signs the form. “Good speech,” she says, the applies a stamp to the parchment. “I hope for both of us that you do not fail. The Empire already thought it lost the Kamura line once - I do not wish to see it end for good.”
Kirika chuckles as she returns to her characters. “I hope so, as well, as I too would prefer not to see it end.” Her smile vanishes. “But I hope more for the sake of those that travel with me. If this is how it ends for me, so be it. The Kamura line will end trying to defeat one of the greatest evils it has ever faced - it is an end worthy of the legends told of my ancestors. But the others, that have no legends of their own, they need to live on so they can start them. They are the ones that must survive, for all our sakes.” She puts one last stroke down, then hands the scroll over to Ishikawa. “This is what I know, and what I have done so far.”
Ishikawa rolls up the weapon license and hands it back to Kirika in turn. “Thank you. Now, if you don’t mind - I have a lot of work to do, and you have lunch to get to. Are you sure you don’t need an escort?”
Kirika stands and shakes her head. “No, I think that we should keep the amount of your trusted people seen with me to a minimum.”
Ishikawa nods to that. “It’s your life,” she says. “You can find your way out.” Not a question, just a statement, as she turns back to her desk and unfurls the scroll Kirika wrote to pour over it again.
Kirika watches Ishikawa inspect her handiwork for a moment, analyzing each stroke for meaning. She smirks as she bows to her. “Have a good day, Lady Ishikawa.”
“You too, Kamura-kensei,” Ishikawa answers.

Kirika retraces her steps through the hall of desks, drawing a few more looks from the people there and hearing the hints of whispers behind her back. Though her steps do not slow, her ears sharpen as she tries to make out the whispers, snatching a few words from the air.

Sword. Criminal. Corrupt.

Kirika sighs as she keeps walking - the temptation to stop and prove herself to these people is strong, but she knows that they only believe deeds, not actions. And they are not entirely wrong, either; it is up to her to prove that she has changed and is worthy of their trust. Plus, she tells herself as she walks out through the entryway, if Ishikawa’s people are as straight as they seem to be, perhaps she has who she needs at her back to accomplish her goals after all.

---

(Toshiba attempts to find Mura by tracking him.
Toshiba's Survival, +8 due to being in Pathfinder territory: 1d20+15+8 = 36
Mura's Blend: 1d20+9 = 13 MEGAFAIL
Toshiba gains an additional clue from the successful Track check.)

Toshiba may be a man at home in the mountains and forests, but when he is on the hunt, there is no hiding place for his prey. Whispers here, an odd side street there - the merchant Mura has been in this part of the city recently, and Toshiba traces his steps with unerring accuracy. It does not take him long to realize that he's not the first one to retrace Mura's steps like this, and shortly after that, he realizes that Mura's path bifurcates - the main street he usually walks, and a side alley he took the last time - probably the time he was tracked. Toshiba dives into the dark corners of the deserted alley, and it's not long before he finds the signs of a quick recent struggle through faint blood marks on a wooden wall and disturbed piles of trash. Somebody was ambushed and overwhelmed quickly - and to judge from a torn piece of fabric flapping from a loose nail, that someone was wearing the distinctive Black-Yellow of a Killer Bee uniform. So much for getting help from RZA, then.

The path continues, and a few more streets and a crossed canal later, Toshiba finds the wooden house with a dangling sign reading "Mura Trading Limited". All the windows are shuttered from the inside, and several rough-looking men lurk around the place, unarmed but obviously standing guard.

As if on cue, Kagemaru fades out of the shadows again. "You could just try to talk your way past them," he says. "I mean, I could get in very easily..."
"And do what, steal documents?" Kiara pipes up, having apparently decided to liven up the day by sliding down a rope upside down to get from the rooftops straight to just above street level. "Let's grab Mura."
"You want to fight these guards?" Kagemaru asks.
"Kinda?" Kiara says. "I mean, yeah I want to fight them, but I could just fly through a window, grab Mura and fly back out. It'll be over before they even realize what happened."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2014-11-03 11:56:22
"The guards will definitely notice you burst in the window and flap back out carrying their boss," Toshiba decides. "And RZA's not meeting us. He was ambushed in an alley near here, probably while tracking Mura. When we find these people, we try to free him as well. It'd do us well to have that mercenary owe us his life."

Toshiba stalks back and forth a few paces while he thinks. "All right. Let us say we grab Mura and vanish. His minions will know that someone took their boss, and someone needs to be told. Probably a corrupt police officer on Ikishi's payroll or some sort of magistrate. Either way, we'd be wanted for kidnapping and Ikishi would soon learn of Mura's disappearance."

The Oni's scowl deepens. "No, we should not leave Mura's guards able to report back for a long time. We do this silently unless we're spotted. Then we make Mura our priority. Knock them out or kill them, as long as Ikishi or Ishikawa aren't getting reports about this for as long as possible. After all, we also need to uphold the goodwill Kirika's hopefully building with Lady Ishikawa. If all goes well, we can interrogate Mura right here." Toshiba nods, agreeing with himself on some issue. "Kiara, Kagemaru - no one leaves here. Let's do this."