Jade Imperium OOC

Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-04-21 16:22:05
My plans are some sort of intro post today, then hopefully we'll have characters from the five who expressed interest. Tomorrow we'll start, Ivan or no Ivan.
e of pi 2007-04-22 23:51:57
Given how much of a deal the briefing is making about there being no hostiles expected, we're going to walk right into a firefight, aren't we? :P
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-04-23 01:30:47
You can't walk RIGHT into a firefight - at least you've got the probe. It'll probably be a while. :) Or not. :twisted:
e of pi 2007-04-23 22:04:28
Well, that was arguably worse than a firefight. So, what got stranded with us? Do we have a generator truck to start the charging procedure, or do we just have to wait the half-hour before they can send the second team through? Also, I'm not familliar with space sickness, will the nausia subside as we adapt to conditions? Should they send over a big vat of Pepto-Bismol with the second team? Would Luis have any in his medic's kit?
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-04-23 22:10:25
Pepto and Dramamine FTW. Pepto'll help with everyone's current state, but it should subside as people get used to the shock. For future gate trips, Dramamine is probably recommended. :)

And sure, Luis can have enough to stave off this crew's uspet stomachs. Hell, I certainly wasn't expecting Sumo to fail (he's got Tough), but chalk it up to army food, right?

Equipment: You have what you were carrying. The vehicles are coming through with Taylor's team.

Good news: the UAV on the probe is functional, and can be controlled from the probe's console or any of the science team's laptops.
Dieter 2007-04-23 22:14:55
I know we made quite an entrance with the puking and such, but does the Gate itself make a large amount of noise when activated?
e of pi 2007-04-23 22:17:05
I think the first thing is to make sure we have a perimeter, a small one, and get some images (IR? Would cold-blooded life show up on that?) off the UAV and see what we've gotten ourselves into. In the meantime, Luis is going to open his pack and start handing out Peptobismol to anybody who wants it. Can we assume that the second team saw what we went through and took some dramamine so we don't have to deal with vehical drivers suddenly needing to puke their guts out once the next window comes?
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-04-23 22:17:27
Kind of a "whumph". Like a sail or parachute snapping open, and about as loud. Certainly not a SHWOOOMUUSH like the Stargate. The thing about the Gateway is that it's really bright when it opens. When it shuts off, it just kind of "whumphs" off with much less visual stimulation.
Dieter 2007-04-23 22:22:42
I'd be against using the UAV. Let's not launch an obvious target until the bulk of our force is here. If there is someone out there, I'd prefer not to draw an unwanted attention until we can get back in a hurry.
Dieter 2007-04-23 22:25:21
e of pi wrote:

...Oookay. Was that a response to me?

That was a general response. I'm not out to directly contradict everything you say, it's just that we apparently have different opinions.

I'd argue that would be the cautious scientific decision, although it will ultimately rest in Captain Hugh's hands.
e of pi 2007-04-23 22:34:49
Dieter, I'd like to point out, in response to your worries about the UAV, that (as far as I know), it's already in the air. It's just a matter of telling it what to do. If that's true, then we might as well use it, anybody who would see it probably already has.
Gatac 2007-04-23 22:35:00
Hugh and I agree - no UAV. We have to focus on securing our beachhead first, then we can poke our heads up and look around.

Gatac
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-04-23 22:58:47
Cool. But E's right - right now your terrain looks like: Gateway, crashed ship, clearing, jungle. Anything in more detail will require a UAV flight or a recon patrol.
Gatac 2007-04-24 06:35:39
Not nearly enough people for a patrol, not gonna call more attention to us with the UAV. We freshen up and dig in until the portal is ready again.

Gatac
Admiral Duck Sauce 2007-04-24 17:46:56
Semo, the bird-thing looks like Toucan Sam crossed with Archaeopteryx. It is on a branch maybe 10 feet up. You're less than 8 feet from it as the raptor flies. :)

Max, you estimate the environment testing to take about 15-20 minutes. Less once Andy gets his shit back together. He apparently has a fear of unknown pathogens you didn't know about (because normally you KNOW what's going to kill you in your line of work - VX, sarin, anthrax, whatever). Also, is there anything else you want to start doing science-wise? It really only takes two people to do the atmo/soil tests. You could leave that to the NPCs and then do something yourself.

Everybody's doing OK with the sickness now. It hasn't completely passed, but you won't be hampered anymore.

Stanhill, once you relieve Greene you'll have a good view into the more overgrown parts of the surrounding area. Once you get into place I can expound on that.
e of pi 2007-04-24 18:03:11
Okay. I'll move out. I'm still saying we need an IR scan and visuals off the UAV. Serrated beaks do not a plant eater make. We need to know what else is out there, especielly if they're camoflagued naturally. Even if they're non-sentient, they could still eat us all for lunch.
Gatac 2007-04-24 18:07:45
And we'll get the UAV airborne - as soon as we have everyone through the portal and a defendable beachhead established.

Gatac