Gatac 2011-07-16 21:02:31
In the deep dark mountains of
The Old Masters' Valley, the place
where my ancestors did live

I laid eyes on a gravestone
That held no name, but a single phrase
You'll never leave Kargbeck alive

---

The various scenarios have been weighted and considered - now it's time to get the plan rolling. Forcing Adler from his comfortable perch will surely rattle him, and how he acts when he's cornered promises vital information on the true backers behind Tingarson's death - not to mention that Adler's looking more and more like a very convenient suspect to sell to Van Synt, thereby ending the manhunt and letting the Ayami ninjas escape to safety.

Nagani sets out to Adler's favored hideout to surveil and track the man himself, while the team travels to a well-frequented tavern that is, incidentally, just a few streets away from their rented house. Takao and Kasumi mix into the crowd as well as they can - even with drab clothing and their weapons not worn openly, they stick out. However, both have a working knowledge of the foreigner's language, which serves them well in overhearing conversations the crowd clearly does not believe they'll understand.

The trial is, unsurprisingly, the talk of the town, much more so that the date of the actual trial is approaching. Several foreigners express skepticism that Van Synt will catch the culprit in time to compel a confession for the actual trial in two days's time, though nobody dares to suggest the murderer will actually escape. The second most popular topic is driving all the Imperials living in Kargbeck out of the city - the most extreme voices even support simply trying a random Imperial in lieu of the murderer to make a show of the cowardice of the ninja that killed Tingarson, but fortunately, most foreigners seem to at least be interested in finding the right guy to hang, even if the support for throwing the Imperials out after that is growing.

Outside, Yukio, Aiko and Kagemaru have the major approaches covered and are ready to surreptiously follow anyone leaving the tavern who looks like one of Adler's men.

That just leaves Toshiba - erm, no, pardon me, the [color=blue:74e3482fd7]Blue Oni[/color], to make his entrance. And what a sight he is! In gleaming armor, with the helmet that covers his face and its horns making him look like a truly fearsome demon from the lowest hells, the Blue Oni already has foreigners jump out of his way when he strolls towards the tavern's front door. He throws it open, producing an instantly enraptured audience for himself.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-07-17 02:33:31
"I seek Rudolf Adler!" Toshiba shouts. "Present him forthwith!"

Forthwith? Toshiba thought. Would the Oni have used that? I think so. Better throw a 'tis' in there too.
Gatac 2011-07-17 12:41:19
The crowd looks at the Blue Oni like - well, let's all agree on one thing, they look at him. That's good.

"What do you want from him?" asks a lone not-so-brave voice from the back.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-07-17 14:27:10
The Oni fixes the speaker with his demon-masked visage. The knife is in his hand instantly, and the Oni's next move sends the blade across the room, plunging it into the table inches from the speaker.

"Interrupt me again at your peril," he says pointedly. "Now heed me: Adler has interfered with my machinations for the last time! 'Twas Adler that slew the sea-lord Tingarson, but 'tis I, the Blue Oni, that shall bring swift death to Adler in turn for meddling in my affairs! One thousand* pieces of silver to the man who brings me the meddler Rudolf Adler by sunset!"

(*whatever seems appropriate. The coffers from Champagne's hiring of the Killer Bees should be a useful measure)
Gatac 2011-07-17 15:32:54
Toshiba promising the price of a small house for a man's life gets the murmurs going faster than a ninja master sprinting across water.

A single burly man steps forward; to judge from his swaggers, he's filled to the brim with liquid courage.

"And whaddaya know about da moidah of our ess-steam-ed Mach-is-draid, ya nippy bastard?"
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-07-17 16:48:23
Toshiba smiles behind his mask and thinks about the ways this could go.

'Nothing that you'd remember come tomorrow morning, drunkard' would likely end a brawl. Actually answering the man belittles my status as Blue Oni and gives up more information than I care to, but straight-up murdering him is overreacting... Ah! Strange I would think of Holger of all people at a time like this.

"As Cheong-Sin Ishikawa was so fond of saying, I'm afraid I cannot comment on an ongoing investigation," The Blue Oni replies with more than the needed smarm. "Adler. Bring that bungling murderer here by sundown and you shall be rewarded."

The Blue Oni turns to leave, but adds, "If strong drink and massive riches fail to inspire you to move against a thief who employs naught but children, it is my humble suggestion that you query any Imperial citizen who the Blue Oni is. Once you hear my tale, you may think twice before opening your drink-soaked, toothless gash of a mouth and insulting your betters."
Gatac 2011-07-19 08:56:12
The splash, it is made.

The murmurs behind Toshiba's back erupt into full-blown chatter when he makes his way to the door.

" - this used to be such a nice fortress -
- hang them all -
- money's too tight to mention -
- and I says to Bjoern, I says dat ain't nah marlin, dats a skinny-like two-nah, and he says nah, dats a matta a marketing -
- somebody has to clean this city up!"

A few of the scruffier patrons follow Toshiba out of the tavern. It seems they have somehow gotten the impression that following Toshiba will lead them to Adler, and thusly to a well-deserved payday. They're already bickering over how to split the thousand pieces of silver.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-07-19 16:18:40
Toshiba turns to face his impromptu posse.

"I appreciate your enthusiasm, gentlemen, but surely you realize that if I knew where Adler was, I would not have had to wax poetical inside that tavern just now? Go forth, spread out, and find the man!"
Mister Andersen 2011-07-19 18:05:45
"Fuck, I thought ninjas were meant to be subtle," Aiko mutters to herself as she begins scanning the crowd for the runner supposedly meant to lead them to Adler, if not even the man himself making a break for it.

Or possibly the arrival of the local constabulary should someone care to inform them that a foreign devil seeking the death of another gaijin has just put a massive bounty on a citizen's head.
MikeS 2011-07-19 18:46:59
Like Aiko, Takao is scanning the crowd for runners or trouble. He is close to the edge of the crowd, 10-20 feet away from the Blue Oni.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-07-20 16:02:55
Toshiba ponders his options for a moment. He couldn't simply rejoin the group, as it would blow their cover. Adler's potential messengers certainly wouldn't make their move while the Blue Oni was loitering around the tavern.

I believe the phrase is 'ninja vanish', Toshiba thinks to himself, and walks with a purpose towards nowhere in particular before ducking down a side street and attempting to disappear from view.
Gatac 2011-07-20 17:32:08
The question might rightfully be asked: how do you ninja vanish wearing a distinctive blue armor with several eyes on you?

(Toshiba's Sneak: 1d20+14 = 25 VERSUS the Crowd's Notice: 1d20+6 = 25 - it's a tie! Toshiba adds one Action Die: 1d6.open = 3 - Success.)

Why, with a little sneaky help from fellow ninja Kagemaru, who shouts "Hey, is that Adler?" from the shadows. The distraction proves as convenient as can be desired: Toshiba disappears into the next alley and quickly stars stripping out of the armor, while the crowd seems content to look at each other and believe one of them was mistaken. Getaway: 99% clean!

You keep your eyes peeled for anyone - well, peeling away from the crowd. Just because Adler's crew has many kids doesn't mean he doesn't have informants and runners that blend a little better into a harbor tavern.

(Team Notice check [rolled by Takao]:1d20+13 = 18 Informant Blend: 1d20+10 = 26)

Will the team spot the thin man moving away like a practiced shadow in the commotion? What is Adler's next move? And will somebody finally acknowledge Kagemaru's talent for convenient distractions? Find out - after these messages from our sponsors.
Gatac 2011-07-20 18:06:07
...and if you order our set of exquisite brushes for the low price of just 15 silver within the next ten minutes, we will add a month's supply of professional calligrapher's ink absolutely free of charge!

---

(Kasumi's Action Die: 1d6.open = 1)

(Toshiba's Action Die: 1d6.open = 4 ANOTHER! 1d6.open = 1 OH COME ON!)

(Kasumi's Action Die: 1d6.open = 2 FINALLY!)

Either the crowd's too big or the night's too dark, but fortunately, you've got enough eyes to spot one man that seems oddly calm as he glides through the (relatively small) mass of people. He's wearing a hood and what looks to be a light leather overtunic. You let him pass without drawing attention to yourself, and sure enough, he seems to be headed in the direction of Adler's hideout.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-07-20 18:14:10
Toshiba emerges from his hidey-hole, looking very much like an Imperial laborer with a large sack of nondescript things (secretly the Blue Oni's armor - it doesn't exactly collapse into a suitcase) that he's laboring under. It makes sense that the possible informant would head to Adler's possible domicile. Toshiba sets his bag on his shoulder and walks through the crowd. Now that he's got the informant's appearance and a good idea of his destination, he won't necessarily follow right behind the man. After all, the best way to follow someone is to get to where they're going before they do.
punkey 2011-07-20 18:26:45
Kasumi, having taken the chance to change out of one of her more impressive kimonos from the party and into a set of borrowed clothes from Hilga (and the handful of pins required to hold up the borrowed foreigner clothes on her smaller frame), watched the crowd from the street next to the tavern that Toshiba so ably addressed.

Wouldn't be surprised of Adler heard that all the way from over here, she thinks. When she sees what looks like Adler's man start to move, she moves to keep in front of him, keeping him boxed in.
Gatac 2011-07-20 18:56:54
(Kasumi's Disguise: 1d20+9 = 11)
(Informant's Notice: 1d20+10 = 23)

Kasumi leaves her position when she sees the informant head for one of the alleys and positions herself in front. Hilga's clothes, however, are more than a few sizes too big for the - let's be honest - lithe geisha. After a few steps, Kasumi is mortified to realize that one of the pins in the back is coming undone - and there's nothing she can do about it, just keep walking.

Toshiba and the others hanging back can see that the informant has noticed; he's slowing his steps, no doubt to fade out of the crowd and take a different route once a convenient alley is in range.
punkey 2011-07-20 19:29:58
Kasumi pinches her eyes shut in frustration when she feels the disguise start to slip off her back. Last time I borrow clothes several fingers larger than I am for a disguise, she thinks, and quickly tries to come up with an alternative. Her hand slides by itself to her sword on her side underneath the disguise, and she sighs. Not much of a choice at this point, just have to sell it harder.

She takes a part of the clothes and quickly wraps it up and around her face, securing it with another pin from the rapidly-disassembling back. Then, before the informant has a chance to respond, her hands shoot to her sword and pull it from the sheath, breaking the wax seal. As she spins around, the whole top half of the disguise comes undone, sliding down her shoulders and arms to reveal...her leather armor, now revealed to be more of a leather bodice. It might be more modest and practical than fighting topless, but not by much.

Despite nearly falling out of her armor, Kasumi directs a slash at the throat of the informant, intentionally missing by inches, then strikes a defensive stance, narrowing her eyes through the makeshift mask. "Ah! Where do you think you are going? The Blue Oni's warnings are not for your boss' ears, at least, not until it is too late! You will have to get by his Demons, to survive!"
MikeS 2011-07-21 23:47:38
Takao stands in the crowd, watching the Blue Oni retreat. He casts his glance about, perhaps spotting Kasumi as she chases after the messenger, looking for other people who leave the scene with an air of purpose, rather than the random milling about that the crowd is engaging.

Takao will drift along slowly with the motion of the crowd, fast enough not to draw suspicion but slow enough to be able to observe the spot where Toshiba made the proclamation until most of the crowd is gone or has gone about their usual business.
Gatac 2011-07-22 22:37:51
(Kasumi's Bluff: 1d20+14 = 21 VERSUS Informant's Sense Motive: 1d20+5 = 20)

In a better frame of mind, the informant might have stood his ground, wondered why the "demon" was not wearing the attendant uniform, or when the hell the Blue Oni started recruiting women...but somebody just almost opened up his throat.

"Argh! Stay away from me!" the informant shouts, stumbling back from Kasumi as he looks for a way out.

"Halt, demon!" a voice cries out from the shadows. "Your banditry ends here!"

(Aiko uses Charming [+5] and gains a discretionary bonus for playing into Kasumi's setup [+2] for her Impress: 1d20+6+5+2 = 28 VERSUS Informant's Sense Motive: 1d20+5 = 18)

The informant's eyes light up - it's that woman who's been hanging out with Adler, and she's here to help! He instinctively moves toward her as she draws her pair of jitte to stand against the demon's blade.

(Toshiba's Sneak [+Investigate synergy]: 1d20+14+2 = 23 VERSUS Informant's Notice: 1d20+10 = 11 CRITICAL FAILURE ACTIVATED)

The informant's so busy with that piece of drama that the day laborer the next alley over doesn't even begin to draw his attention. For the time being, Toshiba's effectively invisible.

---

(Update for Takao coming tomorrow.)
Mister Andersen 2011-07-22 22:56:52
Aiko falls in behind the spratt, flitting effortlessly from roof-top to roof-top. As has been her habit since she arrived in the gaijin colony she does not carry her honour blade, only her twin jitte lashed to her forearms beneath her sleeves.

When Kasumi springs her trap, the ronin Inquisitor almost loses her balance in surprise at the ninja's disappearing vestments. Although she keeps her footing as she moves past the scene to the next block where she decamps to the street, she can't help smile a little in the spirit of that strange concept the gaijin have namedschadenfreude.

Schooling her features, she walks back to the confrontation, rounding the corner with what she hopes is an appropiate look of surprise.

"Argh! Stay away from me!" the informant shouts, stumbling back from Kasumi as he looks for a way out.

"Halt, demon!" she cries out in Hanse, as jitte spring to her hands she moves forward to catch the ninja's blade in the tong of the left while holding the right back, ready to lash forward -- or backwards if need be. "Your banditry ends here!"

Kasumi doesn’t understand a word of that - well, okay, a few words. The tone is enough to come up with a suitable reply, anyway, as Kasumi easily strenghtens the illusion by answering in Imperial.

"Get out of the way,” she hisses venomously, pulling back her blade. “Or I will be forced to spill the blood of two of Adler's agents today!"

Although she knows this is play acting, a flush of genuine outrage creeps into Aiko's heart. "Never!" she proclaims in Imperial - though the emotion translates with little difficulty for their mark - bringing her second jitte into a guard position.

Kasumi brings her sword down in an impressive-looking but easily blocked attack, especially for someone with the more nimble jitte blades. Aiko thrusts forwards, knocking the faux-bandit back a pace.

"Run!" she yells at Adler's man who stands there stupified. Aiming an easily dodged kick in Kasumi’s direction, she turns and pushes him around the corner. This creates an opening that ‘allows’ Kasumi to deliver a cosmetic slash across the Inquisitor's bicep - just deep enough to draw blood and sell the legitimacy of the fight. The sight of the bloodied material is enough to finally return motion to his limbs, and the last thing he sees before fleeing is his rescuer wheeling around and stabbing the dull tip of her jitte towards the other woman’s belly. The informant runs panicked through the crowd trying to escape from the melee, almost trampling a woman along the way.

And then his rescuer is suddenly running up beside him. "Why is the Blue Demon after you?" she demands.