Paybacks - Chapter 4: Collision Course

Dieter 2005-01-24 21:41:32
Two Vicodin™ and a shot of Stoli™ later...

Q: Why are they going to Moscow?
A: I said they were going towards Moscow. I believe Elena said it would be easier to sneak over the border in the Ukraine, so they probably will be getting off the train to head south at some point.

Q:Who's this Elena woman?
A: Elena is a beautiful woman, eyes like two hot pokers that burn into you. She was in the Army, but left and was attending school at the University of Krasnoyarsk. I met her there about a year ago. She lives with her grandfather in a small village far north of the city and very good with a rifle...so she has told me. I get her things from time to time. Mostly computer components, Western fashion, that sort of thing.

Q: Do you have a way to contact her or Elena?
A: Elena has a phone, but I doubt she'll want to talk to me.

Q: What do you know about Jessica Spiner (aside from the fact that Elena brought her along) ?
A: She is a friend of Elena. Judging from the people she talks to online and cold-blooded nature, I'm guessing she's some sort of spy....maybe FSB. I couldn't place her accent.

Q: Who was after you in Krasnoyarsk?
A: That brings us back to the FSB. I'm pretty sure they're the ones that raided my apartment. I've been hacking their pipeline for years. I had a good run, I suppose.

Q: Do you remember where you pulled *this* cable from?
A: I have no idea. Try hotwiring a semi with gunshots and stone-cold killers around you.

Anatoli drifts off into incoherant babble after that. Something about running through a sewer and a sweet nurse that stunk of cheap cigarettes.
Gatac 2005-01-24 22:37:47
Peter helps Anatoli into the sleeper cabin, puts him in the bed and straps him in. That done, he crawls back to the front and gets to work on the wiring.

"We need to turn this truck around. And this time, you drive."
Dieter 2005-01-26 16:09:25
About an hour later...

News is exchanged back and forth about the ever-increasingly devious Agent Spiner. The fact remains that no one has actually spotted her and most of their information comes secondhand from (at best) dubious sources.

If you were to assume she is heading for the Ukraine, her most likely destination is port city of Kazan, located on Volga River. From there she could head south using either the waterway or roads for transportation.

The photos received from Ayumi's cameraphone were the most conclusive evidence of Agent Spiner's recent proximity to the railways. One of the men (the larger one) captured by Carla and Ayumi was positively identified as Karl Gerber. A former champ on the German Boxing Circuit, he and Jess had a brief relationship prior to her service in the Agency. Apparently Agent Spiner is calling in all her favors.

It seems that the two men who attacked Ayumi and Carla were just a means of distraction and delay. They were (by no means) assassins. Evidence confirming this theory is the fact that the gun used by the other assailent is a well-done fake with the tell-tale sign of R-E-P-L-I-C-A stamped on its receiver.
Gatac 2005-01-26 17:16:23
Leaving the wirework for Artis to figure out, Peter grabs a bottle of Vodka, spints back to the incident site and starts dragging the bound Igor to his squadcar.

"You'll be warm enough in there to survive when they come looking. Your partner's stable, but I'm leaving some first aid supplies with you just in case you need them. I'm also going to disable your radio and flatten the tires. The weather's pretty fucking bad, so I wouldn't try driving on the rims. Now, I want you to listen to this part, because it's important: You didn't see squat. You have no idea what the hell happened here. Now, as you may have noticed, I'm a patient and well-meaning guy. I'm doing all that to protect you. But I've got you by the balls now, comrade, and God help you if you try to fuck with me again. Got that?"

Peter will then, in sequence...

- stab all intact tires
- break off the cop car radio's antenna
- retrieve the prototype gun from the squadcar
- splash Igor with a generous helping of Vodka
- and release Igor from the handcuffs.

As the two stand there, Peter hands Igor a small first aid package and the vodka bottle.

"Man, if I were you, I'd fall on my knees and thank my lucky star that I'm still alive. You owe me. Big time. Don't ever forget that."

With that, he backpedals some until he's sure that he's out the range of an impulsive attack by Igor, then sprints back towards the rig, the prototype gun dangling from it's sling.
Dieter 2005-01-26 19:20:36
Trans-Siberian Express enroute to Krasnoyarsk

The babushka and her young colleague pass by what's left of Ayumi and Carla's door, the older lady holding a compress to the girl's face, stopping for a moment to look at the state of their room. She peers at Ayumi with concerned eyes.

"I...I get y-you. N-new room. O-K?"

Ushering the younger one down the corridor, Ayumi sees their new acquaintance Jacque talking to ladies. Whatever he is saying to them seems to calm their spirits. They part ways with Jacque making his way back to his berth.

Commuter Train enroute to Novosibirsk

Inside their cabin and planning their next move sits Moten and Brian. Over a cup of blisteringly hot tea, the two discuss options. Midway through their second cup, Moten notices that the scenery outside their window slowing down. The train's whistle blows loudly, echoing across the frozen countryside with a chilling howl of discontent.
punkey 2005-01-26 22:54:36
Moten pulls his pistol out and hides it underneath a newspaper. He looks out the window, searching for anyone running towards or away from the train. "This probably isn't a good thing. Watch the door, alright?"
Dieter 2005-01-27 15:31:45
Continuing to knock on their cabin door, this time with less subtlety and more urgency the conductor begins shouting at Moten and Brian. Inquisitively, Moten looks out the window and sees nothing out of place. It being Siberia in the dead of winter, not many people are out and about.

The train slows down further as comes around a bend in the tracks, as if were about to about to stop. Blue flashing lights are seen up ahead of the train, probably a roadblock of some kind as there are numerous cars and cargo trucks backed up as far the eye can see.
Gatac 2005-01-27 16:58:21
(assuming everything works out)

Peter climbs back into the truck and stashes the rifle behind his seat. He's beginning to look a bit worse for wear, but still attempts a smile.

"Please tell me we're ready to go."
Gatac 2005-01-27 17:13:12
"Next stop we'll be loading up a baby elephant," Artis says, throwing the truck into gear and putting much-needed distance between them and the disaster area.
Gatac 2005-01-27 17:54:40
Peter nods, grabs his case and fishes out a few bullets; he then starts to reload his revolver.

"You know, Art, you haven't said much on the trek here. Something on your mind?"
CrazyIvan 2005-01-28 13:29:43
Brian once again checks the pistol next to him, and makes sure the MP5 is accessable, if it comes down to that.

"What...the hell...is this?"
CrazyIvan 2005-01-28 15:19:07
"Wha? Oh, yeah, I've just been thinking, which I don't normally do, you know? Look, you don't really know the rest of the group like I do, but Jess not being around... well, it's weird. She'd always do the talking and then when it came time, the rest of us would swoop down and put the hurtin' on. Now we're split up across hundreds of miles of godforsaken winter wonderland looking for our friend, who A) might be held captive by this Elena woman no matter what Anatoli thinks, or B) doesn't want to come back.
Dieter 2005-01-28 16:52:32
Artis pulls a 180 with rig, driving past the wreckage and the Igor...who presently is drinking himself into a stupor in the driver's seat of his squadcar.
Gatac 2005-01-28 16:56:28
Peter nods.

"The point is, we don't know anything for sure. As far as we know, Agent Spiner might be going Ewan McGregor on us and heading to the East. We also don't know what her motives are. She could be going rogue...or she could be so loyal that she's doing her darndest not to endanger any Agency assets until she's in safe territory. It's all anybody's guess."

That said, he attempts a smile.

"You know, days like this, I just want to blow it all to hell, grab the cash and go back to Brazil. But there's nothing left to go back to; my grandfather's dead, my father's somewhere in Nicaragua, and the rest of them have probably moved away. It was the best time of my life growing up, but...you can't go home again."
punkey 2005-01-29 08:18:53
Suddenly, in a sensation not unlike the aural equivalent of looking at a Magic Eye picture and seeing it resolve into a rather poor-looking facsimile of a dinosaur and a banyon tree, Moten suddenly understands what the conductor is saying.

"It's okay, he's saying that we're needed up front," Moten says. "Keep your gun ready just in case, though."
punkey 2005-01-29 20:04:31
Ayumi enters the room with their captives, shoos any babushkas or gapers along, and closes the door. Motioning for Carla to watch the other prisoner, she produces her left-hand wakizashi and advances menacingly on Karl. She shoves him back into an upright position wherever he's sitting and then proceeds to break out the Deutsch.

"If you don't start telling me everything you know about where Jess is, you'll never box again." At this, she plunges the sword between his thighs, perilously close to his crotch. "You'll never fuck again, either." Leaving the first sword wobbling in the furniture, edge towards him, she draws her other blade and points it at his throat. "Jess risked her life to help me. I'd easily risk yours to return the favor."
CrazyIvan 2005-01-29 20:08:21
"Right, sure thing..."

Brian gets dressed in the same manner he did during the apartment investigation, with both weapons conceiled by accessable...this was not good, whatever it was.
Dieter 2005-01-31 16:12:22
Quote:

Quote: from Infested Paladin on 2:04 pm on Jan. 29, 2005

"If you don't start telling me everything you know about where Jess is, you'll never box again." At this, she plunges the sword between his thighs, perilously close to his crotch. "You'll never fuck again, either." Leaving the first sword wobbling in the furniture, edge towards him, she draws her other blade and points it at his throat. "Jess risked her life to help me. I'd easily risk yours to return the favor."

Karl seems considerably apologetic and mindful of his future progeny when replying to Ayumi's demands.

"Err...um, right. Er. Ok. So, we get this call from Jess about four hours ago asking if we were in the area...that she needed us to run some divers---stop some people from finding her. Me and Konrad (his apparent manager) just so happened to be in Novosibirsk for a bare-knuckle boxing tournament. My fight wasn't for a few days, so I said what the hell...I'd do anything for her."

Ayumi's blade edges dangerously close to Karl's crotch, subliminally suggesting that she's not done with him.

"Jess gave us your descriptions and were told to be on the lookout for you at the trainstation. If we saw you get on the train, we were to follow you and you know...rough you up, scare you...that's all. I, er..WE don't have much experience in this sort of thing, mostly loansharking and bodyguard type of jobs."

A resounding "No shit?" feeling fills the room.

"So..uh. I'm not sure where Jess was heading, but she did ask me if I knew anyone in the Ukraine. I said no, but Konrad here is wired up the ass with local juice. Konrad knew a bookie in Odessa who knew some people who knew some people. Anyway. Konrad gave Jess that guy's number....And would you mind pulling that thing back a hair? I've already been circumsized."

Karl's story appears to be on the up-and-up, but still doesn't explain the two men who boarded the train earlier.

Commuter Train enroute to Novosibirsk

Moten opens the door to a very relieved conductor. The man says something about The SMP are looking and the need for Government officials to exit...at next crossing. The train grinds to a halt with the thudding sound of heavy boots hastily boarding the train in the background.
Dieter 2005-01-31 19:07:30
Trans-Siberian Express enroute to Krasnoyarsk

After taking a load off his mind, Jacque exits the bathroom stall and sees two men impatiently standing (think 3yr old doing the pee-dance), waiting for him to leave the lone toilet.

The older of the two men, a fellow in his early fifties, pushes his younger colleague aside and slams shut the bathroom door behind him. Taking in the situation while washing his hands, Jacque overhears the ensuing conversation between them.

Older=O, Younger=Y

(speaking Russian)

Y: So, you think they're onboard?
O: Georgi. I do not get on trains heading to middle of Siberia based on presumptions.
Y: I know what you mean, I'd rather be in bed with my wife.
O: So would I!

(laughter)

Y: What is our next move?

(flush)

O: We know they're in the next car. We take them quietly then get off at the next station. With any luck, I'll be home banging your wife by tomorrow night.
Y: Not funny, Pavlov.
fanchergw 2005-01-31 21:14:53
Walking away from the toilet facility, Jacque overhears the conversation behind him. The older man's last comment causes him to chuckle softly, but the rest of the exchange creates some concern.

Considering that the first pair decided to beat on the young woman before encountering the other pair, he's not entirely certain who the targets are here. Taking into account how competant the knife-weilder and her friend appear to be, perhaps he can cover both bases.

Jacque heads back to his own car. Pausing at the door to the ladies' cabin, he knocks softly. "Excuse me, ladies," he says in English through the door. Hopefully, they'll recognise his voice.