Courtship

Gatac 2013-09-25 10:58:47
"Who told you to investigate Kei, anyway?" Karla asks.
"Olafsen," Yukio replies innocently.
"And you believed him?" Karla asks.
"We do," Yukio says. "He is in my father's custody, so if we find the veracity of his tale wanting, we can always go back to him."
"If you get out of here alive," Karla says.

There's a sound of wood sliding on wood from outside the door to the private garden.

"Somebody please tell me they didn't just lock us in," Toshi says, turning to Kirika and Takao.
Gatac 2013-09-25 12:08:06
It's a bird! It's a ninja glider! It's a...it's the Blue Oni?

Toshiba's fiery trail smashes down into the woods just outside Sarano's mansion like a small meteor, leaving a couple of broken branches and a trail in the dirt as he slides to a stop. This is just like when he wagered he would travel the breadth of the Empire faster than a message by signal-fire - must have been two hundred years ago or so, the Honorable Signalmen Association still hasn't paid up for that.

As he tries to sort himself out and orient towards the goal (i.e. motherfuckers to shiv in the back), he hears the dulcet tones of a past encounter at the Kargbeck docks.

"Oh, fuck all kinds of duck," RZA says, emerging from his hiding place in the shrubbery. "You lot can bloody fly, too?"
Admiral Duck Sauce 2013-09-25 12:30:56
"Just me," the Oni answers. "Just me." He looks around for any more Little Bees before facing RZA.

"I noticed you and I are not yet locked in battle, so mayhaps thou canst explain.." Oni trails off as Toshiba shakes his head a few more times. "What are you up to out here?" His hands are near his knives but naked steel has yet to shine under the moon.
Gatac 2013-09-25 15:22:10
"Well, I was going to go sneak into the place with your mate the samurai," RZA says, "but he went in all alone like, leaving me here with my peter in my right hand and nothing in the left if you know what I mean. Now I know you geezers are looking into the creepy-crawlies that live in that house, so am I, and I don't hold grudges which seemed to be on a mutual basis with sunshine before he left me high and dry. And here I was considering how I was going to get inside without him, but now you - you can just drop us on the bloody roof, can't you? So what's it gonna be from you, blueberry or blue meanie?"
Admiral Duck Sauce 2013-09-25 16:45:31
Sunshine... who's he talking abou- oh, Takao. Heh. If Takao's inside already then no doubt Team Kirika has the run of the place.

"You saw my landing," Toshiba replies. "If that still holds more appeal than doing a bunch of climbing, then let us be off."
punkey 2013-09-26 00:48:05
"Sounds like they did," Kirika says. "Well, if they know we're up to something, let's not disappoint them." She turns to the group. "Karla, you go with Sidewinder, Takao and Toshi and help free the servants. Copperhead, you go with them too, and do whatever you can to break the spell this place has put over them."
"Good plan," Sidewinder says with a nod.
"We should consider the matter of positioning," Copperhead says. "If we are attacked in the tunnels, our strongest fighter should be in front. By my estimation, that would be Takao. Sidewinder, bring up the rear. Prince, you and I will travel in the middle with Karla."
"I'm with you," Yukio says, nodding to Kirika and touching the hilt of her sword.
"Agreed," Kirika says to the Shadowwatch brothers - she smirks at what they would say if she called them that. "Keep an eye out for Kei, and restrain her if you can and be sure you secure her collection of papers and any evidence of wrongdoing you can." She puts an arm around Yukio's hip. "Yukio and I will go after Sarano and Boota."
"Good luck," Toshi says.
"I don't believe in luck," Copperhead says. "But it would be agreeable to see you again, so fight well."
"Don't let them escape," Karla says.
Kirika bows respectfully to each in turn. "Thank you, thank you, and don't plan on it," she replies, smirking to Karla as she bows to her.
MikeS 2013-09-29 15:04:56
"Meaning no disrespect, but I don't think that is an appropriate distribution of our forces, Kirika", Takao says.

"The servants are drugged, and likely not heavily guarded. The best way to help them would be to deliver the antidote. I agree Copperhead should be involved, but two or three others should be sufficient. Karla is a good choice, because she knows the place. The only thing that would warrant more manpower is the case in which there is an interest in silencing the drugged servants, but I find that priorities will be elsewhere once it becomes apparent that we're going after the masters of the house as well.

"The bulk of the guards will likely cluster around the important people. That's Boota and Sarano, perhaps Kei, but she didn't look overtly guarded, so this is where our primary fighting force should go. Boota and Kei should be the primary targets; even if they aren't responsible for this mess, they know who is, and we can get it out of them. We have to capture preferably both alive to interrogate them. Kei is most like to slip away into the darkness when fighting erupts, so someone good with shadows and tracking should go after her.

"I suggest that I go with Yukio and Kirika, Karla and Copperhead save the servants, and Sidewinder goes after Kei. Lord Toshi may decide whomever he sees fit. Our group should leave first and create enough diversion so that the other two groups can slip out unnoticed.

"Whatever happens tonight, it would serve us to be in control of all the news that gets out, so as not to alert Lady Ikishi that someone is coming after her prematurely."

punkey 2013-09-29 22:40:35
"Well, with the door barred, I think it's fair to say that they're already on to us," Kirika replies. "And giving the antidote to the servants is what I just asked you all to do - this is a large place and there are likely many servants that need our antidote. If you feel that we would be better served by sending people after Kei and her papers straight away, then you and Sidewinder should do so. Yukio and myself will go after Sarano and Boota with the antidote for Sarano alone."
MikeS 2013-10-04 18:43:50
"Fine, we'll do it your way." Takao glances around the room, and up to the ceiling.

"The crawlspace isn't large enough for a good fight, and the exit is a good place for an ambush, if they expect us to come out that way. Copperhead, Sidewinder, do you think you can get on the roof and check if the way is clear, and create a distraction if it isn't?

"Once we get your signal, we'll head out the crawlspace, in the order Kirika suggested. I'll keep the guards occupied while the rest of you head out into the keep, then I'll follow Sidewinder to make sure we nab Kei and figure out what she knows. Sidewinder, I trust you'll be able to grab an old lady before she disappears into the shadows. It doesn't do to underestimate her, though. After all, she is Ikishi's trusted agent here. Watch out for poisoned needles and other low tricks.

"Say, you wouldn't have enough gonne powder on you to blow open this door, or at least blind the guards outside with a flash for a while?"
Gatac 2013-10-06 11:31:17
"I'll nab her, no sweat," Sidewinder says.
"Yes, I suppose you might actually outpace an elderly cripple," Copperhead snarks.
"Faster than you, Mr. Lightning-Rod-up-his-Behind," Sidewinder replies. "But no can do about the wall, pardner. My powder's good and dry in the wagon, I packed light."
"So did I," Copperhead says. "Hrm. It seems I have a choice of indignities to endure, a crawlspace above or a tunnel below. And I do not feel comfortable with both of us abandoning the prince."
"Seriously?" Toshi throws in.
"I'll handle the roof," Sidewinder says. "The rest of you go low. I'll signal you when it's safe."
MikeS 2013-10-06 17:17:59
"Alright, let's do this", says Takao.

"While Sidewinder climbs up, I will start crawling through the crawlspace. Someone pass Sidewinder's signal on to me when there is no attention on the exit, and then the rest follows through quickly."

Takao disappears into the crawlspace.
Gatac 2013-10-09 13:23:52
The crawlspace turns out to be a compact tunnel. And by "compact" we mean it's at that thrice-darned height where Takao can't stand up in it, but still not low enough to make it more sensible to crawl on his knees. Fortunately, this doesn't go on for very long, just enough to clear the "courtyard" and then some. Meanwhile, Sidewinder scrambles up the walls with a little help from the gas lamp mounts. The ceiling panels turn out to be loosely laid on top of a lattice, which gets him above the drop ceiling easily enough. Half a minute later, he sounds the all-clear, and Copperhead, Karla and Toshi climb down into the tunnel.

---

With the larger portion of the team disappearing down the secret tunnel underneath the cabin’s living room, Yukio and Kirika are left to wait out what the owners of the mansion have planned for them. Yukio heaves the table back onto the trapdoor, blocking off that entrance again. With everything back in place, she grabs her sword and joins Kirika outside.

“Just us now,” she says. “Are you ready for a fight?”
Kirika nods. She doesn’t see it, but her tattoos still shift, coiling and releasing slowly. “I think we let them push in, cut their ranks enough to burst through, and break for Sarano’s throne room.”

A wayward glance from Kirika spots something moving in the corner of her vision - and a look upwards confirms it. Someone’s slowly removing one of the ceiling panels from the outside.

Kirika whistles softly and points up. “Or maybe we make our way to the tunnel and go the other way,” she whispers.
“They would follow us,” Yukio says. “If there’s going to be a fight, I prefer to do it here rather than in a dark tunnel I can barely fit through.”
“But we would not be fighting attackers coming through two directions - but we would not know the exact route to Sarano’s throne room, either,” Kirika points out. She looks back to Yukio, hand on her sword’s hilt. “I leave it to you, love - teacher.” She smirks. “Fight here, or relocate and fight elsewhere.”
“Fight here,” Yukio says as footsteps begin to gather in front of the door. She reaches for her sword - but Kirika interrupts the motion with an outstretched hand.
“Better to be ready yet not appear to be so,” Kirika replies. “We train to kill with the first motion for a reason, yes? You stand with me, but in position to strike at those coming through the roof. Okay?”
“As you wish,” Yukio says, relaxing her stance and taking a step back to better cover Kirika’s back.
Kirika stands on her toes, grasps Yukio’s chin with her off-hand and kisses her deeply. “I love you.”
“Love you, too, dearest,” Yukio whispers back.

Kirika smirks at her for a moment, before briskly walking towards the door. “Hello-ooo,” she says in an inebriated sing-song voice. “Who’s there?” She giggles. “I can hear you...are you here with more tea?”

(Kirika Bluff: 1d20+16 → [11,16] = (27))
(Nana’s Sense Motive: 1d20+10 = 16)

“Milady,” Nana’s voice comes from directly in front of the door. “I am terribly sorry to interrupt, but Lady Sarano wishes to speak to you urgently. I must come in and...clean up. Again, a thousand apologies for the inconvenience. Am I permitted?”
Kirika looks up towards the roof for as long as she believes inebriation would allow. She sees the face of a grim-looking man poking out of the opening, with his shoulders showing the beginning of the distinctive yellow-black Killer Bee clan colors. When their looks meet, he silently nods to her and puts his index finger to his mouth in the universal “Be quiet” gesture. Kirika looks back to the door. “Of course, just...let us put our clothes back on…” she replies.
“I implore you to make haste, milady,” Nana says. “Lady Sarano must not wait longer than strictly necessary.”
“Sure thing!” Kirika shouts back, and waves for the ninja to hurry down. The ninja shakes his head, then sticks his arm through the opening. He points to the door, then to the section of floor directly underneath the opening, mouthing “Lure them in!”. Kirika sighs, and loosens her kimono before mussing up her hair again and hurriedly doing the same to Yukio. “Here I co-ome…” she knocks rapidly on the door, which she lets turn into drumming.
The door is quickly unbarred, and Nana rushes into the room, followed by a small army of white-clad servants. “Clean this up,” she hisses to the servants rushing past her before turning to the visibly disheveled Kirika and Yukio. “My associates will take care to clean up your...dinner,” Nana says. “Would you please come with me now, immediately?”
Kirika nods drunkenly, and when Nana looks away towards her servants, gives Yukio a more intent nod - before pointing up at the ceiling and shrieking. “Oh, Gods above, what is that!”
Nana whips around in a flash, raising her arms and setting her feet into a fighting stance while pushing herself forward to shield Kirika from the ninja. “SHINOBI!” she screams at the top of her lungs. The other servants react, too, immediately jumping to either get cover or assume somewhat more rudimentary fighting formations. The one just below the ceiling panel, however, isn’t quick enough on the uptake; in a flash, RZA slides out of the opening, stopping his fall by hooking his feet to the wooden frame. His hands grab the servant’s head and neck, and…CRACK! The servant slumps to the ground as RZA drops down beside her, rolling into a crouch and whipping out his knives.
In answer to Nana’s scream, the hallway outside shudders. Tiles shatter and wood splinters. There’s a heavy impact, then the Blue Oni strides through the open doorway after the last of the servants, his boots smoking and with splinters falling from slightly bug-spattered pauldrons.
“No need to shout, milady,” he says to Nana. “I could hear you well enough from yonder hall.”

---

Outside, Takao quickly leads the motley group behind him toward the servant's half of the mansion. The last corner takes them back to the hall outside the samurai quarters, and, what do you know, there's a couple of servants shuffling the still groggy samurai out of the quarters and towards an exit.

"Uh," Toshi says, as some of the samurai take note of their arrival and start to assume a fighting stance, "is this going to be a problem?"
MikeS 2013-10-09 23:02:09
Takao shakes his head. "No. It'll be a warm-up, if they are unlucky."

He draws Mizu, raises it over his head in a ready position, and bellows: "I am Shinmen Takao of the Seishin Dageki Ryu. Draw steel against me, and I will cut you down where you stand!"

(Takao Intimidate: 1d20+13 = 29; I also have a Reputation of 5 as Swordsman, in case you want to factor that in somehow)
Gatac 2013-10-10 01:12:57
(Takao attempts to Coerce the samurai into letting them pass. First off, a Knowledge check to see if the title means anything to them...

Samurai Knowledge: 1d20+9+2 = 30 RECOGNIZED!)

There is not a man among them who has not heard of your travels - or your sword!

(Adding a +2 Discretionary bonus to your Intimidate for that. Targeting the highest Resolve among them, they have to beat a total result of 32.

Samurai Resolve: 1d20+13 = 30 COERCED!)

Takao can see in many of the younger eyes among the samurai that they are wary for their lives if they do not stand and fight, and some even seem to welcome it, perhaps hoping to boast that they struck the killing blow and bested the man who wielded Mizu. However, the oldest among them, with barely enough hair left for a top knot, holds the young fighter at his side back with a simple gesture.

"We've no quarrel with you, Shinmen-san," the old samurai says. "Let Mizu taste more deserving blood, we shall not delay you."
MikeS 2013-10-10 22:19:12
Takao lowers his blade and nods. "Those of you who have heard tales about me know what I am here to do - set an end to this house of corruption and deceit, and free those who are held against their will! Those among you who seek glory - today is your chance to fight, not for the corrupt people who run this place, but for justice in this empire! Take up your blades, and join me!"

(Takao Impress: 1d20+4 = 22 - holy shit, better than I thought; I'll add a AD to this if it'll help)

The swordsman glances back to Toshi. The gesture is clear: anything you want to add? The speech was good, Takao thought, but he knew that motivation was not his strong suite.

Takao bows slightly to the older samurai: "You speak of those more deserving to feel my blade. Will you direct us to them? Who gives your orders?"
Gatac 2013-10-11 06:50:36
Kirika takes advantage of her prime position behind Nana and snaps her arms around her neck, placing the crook of her elbow right in front and squeezing.

(Granting Kirika a surprise round due to good setup.

Kirika Athletics: 1d20+13 = 28
Nana’s Athletics: 1d20+10 = 24)

This isn’t the first time Nana’s been in a chokehold, and she immediately springs into action, twisting around and thrusting her elbows back at Kirika in an attempt to get loose again. It’s not enough to dislodge Kirika, but it does keep her from getting a clean bloodchoke.
“Hit her!” Kirika grunts at Yukio.

(And with that, it’s Initiative!

Toshiba: 2d20+17.hi = 38
Yukio: 1d20+11 = 29
Nana: 1d20+9 = 19
Kirika: 1d20+10 = 14
Servants: 1d20+4 = 7)

Not one to be told to hit somebody twice, Toshiba takes the open invitation, taking advantage of Nana’s reduced mobility to kick her in the midsection!

(Toshiba uses Pummel.

Toshiba’s Attack: 1d20+7 = 25
Toshiba’s Damage, subdual: 3d4+3+2d6 = 17
Nana’s Fort Save, DC 18: 1d20+6 = 19)

Nana takes the blow with gritted teeth - but she’ll have to tense those muscles some more, because Yukio’s fist wants to join this party.

(Yukio uses Pummel:

Yukio’s Attack: 1d20+14 = 34 CRIT!
Yukio’s Damage: 3d4+15 = 22
Nana’s Fort Save, DC...29? Oh, bugger. Here we go: 1d20+6 = 10 MAMA SAID KNOCK YOU OUT)

Yukio’s hook lands square on the side of Nana’s neck just behind her jaw. The white-clad servant instantly goes limp in Kirika’s chokehold, dropping to the ground in an unconscious heap when Kirika lets her go.

(Alright, morale time! The table in the book isn’t very exhaustive, but I think between the ninjas, Kirika and Yukio plus their leader just getting punked, DC 25 sounds about right.

Servants’ Resolve: 1d20+3 = 23

Result: hesitation. They forfeit this round, taking no actions against you.)

The servants glance to one another, staying where they are. They may still be willing to fight, considering that the alternative seems grim, but nobody wants to make the first move.

(Kirika attempts to Coerce the servants into backing down.

Kirika’s Intimidate: 1d20+5 = 16
Servants’ Resolve: 1d20+3 = 8...and a further -3 from Kirika’s Heroic Legacy.)

Kirika turns her attention to the remaining servants. As her hand hovers next to the handle of Crane’s Dance, her tattoos uncoil from her arms, hovering like wispy smoke around her in the gloom of the gaslights.

"We don't want any unnecessary bloodshed," she growls, the voices of a dozen ancestors joining with hers. "So don't make it necessary."

The servants stare at her, transfixed in shock. None of them move, and one further in the back may be having an accident right now.

“That means ‘Surrender!’” Yukio barks for further clarification. Almost immediately, the servants react, raising their hands behind their heads and falling to their knees.

“Bugger me,” RZA says, strolling over to link up with the heroes. “I like your style, sweetheart. Tucked the tart in nice and cozy, didn’t you?”
“When I knock people out,” Yukio says, “they tend to stay knocked out. Who exactly are you?"
“Ryu Zatoichi Akiro,” RZA offers with a flourish. “I’m working with your mates, you know, that stodgy samurai and blueberry here.” He nods to Toshiba. “Smashing entrance, mate. You do know how doors work, don’t you? Might be asking too much of a bloody ninja...”
punkey 2013-10-11 07:06:31
“And you are with the Killer Bees,” Kirika points out.
“Got it in one, sweetheart,” RZA says. “And I’d be right happy if you would let me get on with my job now - just need a scroll from the archives, then I’ll leave you to it.”
Kirika nods. “Which scroll?”
“Telling you would defeat the purpose,” RZA says. “My employer wants it gone. She doesn’t appreciate the blackmail material. I can’t tell you which it is and I can’t let you peek, but if it’ll make you happy I’ll go in starkers so you know I only took one scroll.”
Kirika shrugs. “Then you can just go take a nap, because we’re gonna turn the whole damn mess into a bonfire. You know what this place is? You must, if you’re here to dispose of blackmail.”
“Only what my employer told me,” RZA says. “And if you don’t mind, love, I’ll stay awake for the fire. Can’t let you walk anything past it, can I?”
“Fair enough,” Kirika replies. “Well, since we’re doing your job for you, care to help us get to the bottom of this accursed place?” She taps the still-unconscious Nana with her toe. “How’s your interrogation skills, Killer Bee? Surely, if someone able to employ your services has been victimized here, you’d want to see this place shut down out of an abundance of caution, if not moral outrage.”
“I’m not what you call a people person,” RZA offers. “I don’t much enjoy sticking my knife in some geezer’s face fishing for answers. Leave ‘em or kill ‘em, that’s a proper ninja’s work. And I don’t care about this place beyond what I’m paid to care - which is a good bit of coin, no doubt. Now, I get the sense your job doesn’t end with the bonfire here, so why do you want me hearing things only you need to hear? Best to have me out of your hair right quick, isn’t it?”
“We haven’t cleared the path to the blackmail yet, so, you can either relax with our friend, or be helpful,” Kirika replies. “Up to you.”
“I suppose I could go help sunshine - he was heading for the archive, right?” RZA smiles.
Kirika cocks an eyebrow. “After we’ve done all the work for you, you either get to stay here and wait until we can have more than one pair of eyes on you, or you tell us what scroll you want and we get it for you - what we’re here to do is more important than safeguarding some rich noblewoman who had one too many.”
“Love, this bloody empire doesn’t revolve around you,” RZA says. “I couldn’t give a toss what you want from this place. Blueberry and sunshine will tell you I’ve more than enough cause to get up in your business, but I don’t, because I do jobs, not grudges.” He turns to leave and climb back to the ceiling. “See you at the bonfire, sweetheart.”
“This is not a negotiation,” Yukio says, hand hovering near her own sword. “She doesn’t trust you, and I don’t trust you, either. You’re going nowhere without us.”
RZA freezes in place, then turns his torso enough for his head to look back over his shoulder. “Blueberry, you mind yanking your dogs back a bit?”
Admiral Duck Sauce 2013-10-11 09:56:07
"In a moment," the Oni replies. "You need not disclose the details of your employer's indiscretions, but I would have her name, so we may know our goals are truly aligned."
Gatac 2013-10-11 12:39:28
"Suppose I can reveal that much to an old mate, if it means keeping my arms," RZA says. "No less than High Lady Fuyuko Bashi Ishikawa. So you see, I'm on the side of the angels - just like in Kargbeck, mind. Good enough now?"
Gatac 2013-10-12 08:37:17
MikeS wrote:

Takao lowers his blade and nods. "Those of you who have heard tales about me know what I am here to do - set an end to this house of corruption and deceit, and free those who are held against their will! Those among you who seek glory - today is your chance to fight, not for the corrupt people who run this place, but for justice in this empire! Take up your blades, and join me!"

(Takao Impress: 1d20+4 = 22 - holy shit, better than I thought; I'll add a AD to this if it'll help)

The swordsman glances back to Toshi. The gesture is clear: anything you want to add? The speech was good, Takao thought, but he knew that motivation was not his strong suite.

Takao bows slightly to the older samurai: "You speak of those more deserving to feel my blade. Will you direct us to them? Who gives your orders?"

(Samurai Resolve: 1d20+13 = 14 STARSTRUCK!)

The older samurai nods and bows in turn. "You have my blade. Lead on, Shinmen-sensei!" A few others likewise give the nod and join in, while the rest starts to disperse. Joined by a few capable swordsmen, you press on towards Kei's office.

"The capital could use your blade," the older samurai says. "Come there and I will find you, that we may talk - this is not the place or time to share secrets."
"We should split up now," Copperhead says. "I would take whoever you can spare from the hunt for the spymaster and take them to the slave quarters - surely Sarano's servants will move to secure their prisoners, so I expect heavy resistance."