Paybacks - Chapter 8: Gunfight at the O.S. Corral

fanchergw 2005-05-25 18:09:50
"This one's a coin-toss," Ilyanna murmurs to Brian and Carla. "I'm sure you already know this, but don't do anything rash, just be ready."

Ilyanna moves over near Stavre as the helicopters approach. "Right on time. Looks like we're ready to go," she says with a smile.

If this goes pear-shaped, she fully intends to make sure that Stavre dies first.
Dieter 2005-05-25 18:21:30
The din of helicopter's wash resonates througout the neighborhood with one of Stavne's men popping smoke as a landing indicator.
Quote:

Ilyanna moves over near Stavre as the helicopters approach. "Right on time. Looks like we're ready to go," she says with a smile.

"This is an urgent matter. Central Command wanted this situation taken care of immediately." shouts the detective into Ilyanna's ear, waving at the pilots as they land nearby.

On touchdown, the helicopters' cargo doors slide open dispatching two full squads (10 men each) of heavily armed soldiers.
CrazyIvan 2005-05-25 21:42:12
Brian frowns slightly.

Now what does a nice little police agency need with troops like that?

As subtly as possible he moves to our friendly local cops are in convenient...biological armor range.
Dieter 2005-05-25 21:56:12
Casually taking *ahem* cover behind one of the waiting police officers, Brian spots a patch on one of the soldiers, immediately identifying themselves as Spetsnatz infantry. He had a run in with them in a previous life...not the sort of folk one sends for an investigation.

At the same time, Stavne glances over to his men giving them the nod to distance themselves from the Team, drawing his sidearm as he does so.
CrazyIvan 2005-05-25 22:06:05
How come it never goes smooth!?

"Carla, Ilyanna...time to go!"

Brian tenses, drawing his side arm, and starts heading for cover just as quick as he can.
Dieter 2005-05-25 22:12:47
"Drop your weapons and you will not be harmed!" shouts Stavne, his gun drawn but aimed at no one in particular. The detective's men also have their weapons at the ready, but not directly pointed at Team.

"These men (glancing over to the approaching Spetz soldiers) are here to bring you in...that's all. They have their orders but will fire in self-defense!" continues Stavne, asserting himself in the negotiator role.
CrazyIvan 2005-05-25 22:15:38
Brians gun is pointed right at Stavne, his stance just enough that the Spetz soldiers will realize the Brian isn't *about* to pop their site man, but is perfectly capable of doing so.

"These men...have the wrong idea. Tell them to stop approaching if you're genuinely interested in this going down without gunfire."
threadbare 2005-05-25 22:29:55
Carla follows Brian's lead, muttering to herself about how she should have bugged out as soon as she saw the helicopters.
fanchergw 2005-05-26 00:07:11
Ilyanna's pistol comes out simultaneously with Stavre's. "What the hell is going on, commander? A little explanation would go a long way toward keeping a lot of people - including yourself - alive a while longer.

"What exactly to do you mean by 'bring you in'? Are we under arrest? And if so, by whom? To the best of our knowledge, none of us are currently being hunted by anyone.

"More precisely, who ordered this?"
Dieter 2005-05-26 04:51:38
Quote:

Quote: from fanchergw on 6:07 pm on May 25, 2005
Ilyanna's pistol comes out simultaneously with Stavre's. "What the hell is going on, commander? A little explanation would go a long way toward keeping a lot of people - including yourself - alive a while longer.

"What exactly to do you mean by 'bring you in'? Are we under arrest? And if so, by whom? To the best of our knowledge, none of us are currently being hunted by anyone.

"More precisely, who ordered this?"

"Step away from the Brit." calmly states Stavne, taking his sights off Ilyanna and looking directly at Brian.

"It would appear that your associate is wanted on several charges, the most severe being the main suspect in the murder of an FSB agent in Krasnoyarsk. These men are here to make sure he doesn't escape again."

The Spetsnaz troopers get within short range with Brian dividing his attention between them and Stavne's pistol. Brian immediately begins crunching the percentages and weighing the fight or flight option. He glances back and forth, his eye catching the patch (or lack thereof) on some of the troopers' uniforms. The faces on the soldiers are masked but the tension in arms and the quivering gun barrells tells him not are these guys are pros.

The odds just got a little better.

"As to who gave the order for this arrest, that would be Chief Inspector Rasminsky of the Siberian Mounted Patrol. I believe your friend knows him...or should I say, his limousine."
CrazyIvan 2005-05-26 14:51:31
Brian keeps his gun on Stavre, moving backwards very slowly.

"Did you get the whole story from Rasminsky? If you did, you know what I'm capable of - and what I've intentionally *not* done. You're at the high stakes table now. Which means a few things..."

Brian pauses, his glance flickering to one of the edgier looking Russians, grinning slightly.

"First, I'm not dead yet. Which means someone is interested in me being alive. Second, I'm the one you want. The charges against the ladies are weak tea...which means they're freedom had better be on the table. And finally...I'm very, very dangerous. I promise if you back me against the wall, you...and some of those lads your using to pad out the numbers of your little commando team. You know, the gittery ones who really don't want to be here?...will probably wind up dead. Good news is, we're the good guys, and whether you believe it or not, we'd prefer to be on your side. So call your men off, and we'll have a chat. If you don't like what you hear...what have you lost?"
Dieter 2005-05-26 15:31:34
Quote:

Quote: from CrazyIvan on 8:51 am on May 26, 2005

"Did you get the whole story from Rasminsky? If you did, you know what I'm capable of - and what I've intentionally *not* done. You're at the high stakes table now. Which means a few things..."

"I don't care what you did and who you did to, my only concern is bringing you in and fit for a proper trial." remarks Stavne, giving Brian the benefit of professional courtesy.

"That will do, Detective." interjects a voice, emerging from within the ranks of soldiers. He is a regular Army officer, with General insignias on his coat epaulettes.

"Why is this man still free?" barks the General, stomping over to Stavne. "I gave the order to arrest him without delay!"

Sensing the flashpoint potential, Detective Stavne lowers his weapon on Brian.

"Comrade General, with all due respect...this not your jurisdiction."

Without hesitation, the General turns to the soldiers.

"Arrest the suspect AND the detective, now....or serve the remainder of your service time in prison!"
CrazyIvan 2005-05-26 15:35:11
Brian's gun swings away from Stavne, his pistol now pointed straight at the general's chest.

"Might want to reconsider that."

He chuckles, his voice dry and tired as his glance shifts over to the detective. "Stuff never goes simple around here does it?"
Dieter 2005-05-26 16:07:43
Quote:

Quote: from CrazyIvan on 9:35 am on May 26, 2005
Brian's gun swings away from Stavne, his pistol now pointed straight at the general's chest.

"Might want to reconsider that."

He chuckles, his voice dry and tired as his glance shifts over to the detective. "Stuff never goes simple around here does it?"

"You apparently haven't been in Russia long enough to know that. Now, this is the last I'm asking. Drop your..."

Stavne's forearm erupts in a cloud of blood as the report of distant rifle crack is heard a millisecond later. The sounds of twisted iron and a heavy-duty engine punctuate the frantic scene as one of Stavne's vehicles crashes through the front gate, stopping just short of the Team's position.

"GET IN!" shouts the driver, her face unrecognizable, her voice unmistakable.

Jessica.
CrazyIvan 2005-05-26 16:13:39
Interesting twist...well, not seeing any better ideas...

"Go, go now!"

Considering the teams now very much in the circumstances of a fighting withdrawl, Brian begins to lay down suppressive while Carla and Illyana get in, before bugging the hell out himself.
Gatac 2005-05-26 16:19:40
Jessica keeps one hand on the wheel, but lets fly from her gun through the window.

"No hero bullshit, I didn't come here to collect your corpses! Get your asses in gear!"
Dieter 2005-05-26 16:55:15
Meanwhile...

Ayumi's foes flank her, offering a chance for some creative knifeplay. With a whirl-wind motion she slices one across the arms while driving her second blade completely through the second guard's leg. Blood gushes out his thigh as Ayumi retracts her knife, the guard slumping down and desperately trying to stop the critical wound.

The numbness and dizzyness begin to subside as Artis sees his two opponents coming in for round two.
Dieter 2005-05-26 17:17:32
Prongs still stuck in him, Artis brings up his pistol and puts a few into the TazerGuard.

Tazerboy's buddy smacks Artis is the head but it only serves to further anger the wheelman.

----
Petrovski's House

The lawn erupts in a hail of automatic gunfire as Team B scrambles behind the Ural as Jess and Brian lay down cover fire. Bullets pepper the truck and surrounding areas, catching Brian in a few places and taking out a couple of tires.

Checking on the Team's progress in the side-mirror, a round penetrates the driver's-side door, catching Jess in the leg.

(Edited by Dieter at 11:31 am on May 26, 2005)
fanchergw 2005-05-26 17:24:31
"Shit!" *Goddamn field ops cowboys! Got no idea how to behave themselves in someone else's country.*

"Okay. Let's just go slow while I try to sort this out," Ilyanna says in response to Stavre's accusations against Brian. She pulls out her cellphone and begins to move away from the crowd to get a little room to talk.

Unfortunately, even as she's dialing the first number, things go to hell in a hand-basket. First a General appears out of nowhere, then bullets start flying.

Next thing she knows, Ilyanna is scrambling into a Russian military truck amidst a cloud of bullets. She fires a few shots from her pistol randomly behind her as she clambers inside.

It's only after she's inside the she recognises the driver from the pictures in the reports: Jessica! At least they found her... or she found them...
Dieter 2005-05-26 18:02:30
Ilyanna gets over to the passenger side door and climbs in. Pausing for a moment to gather her thoughts, she sees Jess minding her leg wound for a brief second before returning to lay down more fire against the soldiers.

...and that's when Ilyanna makes her move.

She brings up her pistol and proceeds to unload it into the back of Spiner's head. Jess slumps lifeless over the open door window as Ilyanna takes the wheel and floors the accelerator with her left leg.

Brian sees the truck moving...on top of him, dodging out of the way at the last second as the Ural passes by, Carla hanging precariously hanging on to the tailgate.