Paybacks - Chapter 7: The Odessa Syndicate

Dieter 2005-03-11 14:32:08
The payphone rings with a horrible crackle and semi-audible tone. Moten takes a quick look at his surroundings.

Phone's probably forty years old...
I am -not- letting my mouth touch the receiver...
Yes, that -is- dogshit on my shoes...
Sonuvabitch.

Novosibirsk's sklyine comes into view just as Artis' SATCOMM starts ringing. Glancing down at the Caller-ID, he sees that it's a Russian prefix, location unknown.
Gatac 2005-03-11 15:06:43
Peter grabs the ringing SATCOMM.

"I'll take that."

*click*

"Operator."
fanchergw 2005-03-11 17:59:26
"Sweet car," Ilyanna comments as they climb in. "Agency custom job, by any chance?"
Quote:

"So, what's your story, Ilyanna?"

"The usual, really. Grew up near St. Petersburg. Went to college in England. Joined the KGB for some excitement. Got recruited by the Agency when the KGB disbanded. You?"
Gatac 2005-03-11 18:12:12
Waiting for a reply from the phone, Peter covers the mouthpiece and turns to Ilyanna again.

"Grew up in Brazil, became a merc, got recruited by German Counterintelligence when the Wall came down, been on loan to the Agency for a bit. And I built this car."
punkey 2005-03-11 18:21:31
"We need a pickup," Moten says. "I've got the rest of the gang here with me, and we need a ride to the party."
Gatac 2005-03-11 18:28:15
"Neighbours came knocking, we had to go to the beach. We've got beer for you, all new brand, but you'll have to make it to the party alone. Get to our house, we'll guide you in from there."
punkey 2005-03-11 18:32:36
"It would help if we knew which house to go to, you know."
Gatac 2005-03-11 18:35:50
Peter sighs, then hits upon a better idea.

"Jack Dalton's house, where I met the girls. Ask them."
punkey 2005-03-11 18:42:26
"Right. Catch you later."

Moten hangs up the phone and turns to Carla and Ayumi.

"Where did you meet the guy with the truck?" he asks them.
Dieter 2005-03-11 18:58:28
Airstrip outside of Novosibirsk

Artis parks Le Car in a clump of trees which affords a good view of the airstrip's lone entrance.

Sputtering into the scene with steam pouring out its hood is a rusted Lada.

(Edited by Dieter at 1:12 pm on Mar. 11, 2005)
Dieter 2005-03-11 19:07:45
"Oh, they must have been desperate. That's... that's not even inconspicuous. It's just... well, it's sad really." Artis continues to harp upon the poor Lada under his breath. "Ridiculous... clown car... how many people are in that thing?"
Gatac 2005-03-11 19:13:04
Peter looks at the Lada and smiles.

"I can see why you people need me. Your folks have no taste in cars whatsoever."
CrazyIvan 2005-03-11 19:23:11
Brian steps out of the car, carrying his usual black bag full of weaponry, stretching his legs.

"It's got nothing to do with taste mate...last one got all shot up by helicopter rockets and the like. Limo too...While you lads were out havin' a nice sunday drive with..." he glances at the newcomer "a pretty girl...some of us were working. Also with pretty girls."

(Edited by CrazyIvan at 1:23 pm on Mar. 11, 2005)

(Edited by CrazyIvan at 1:24 pm on Mar. 11, 2005)
punkey 2005-03-11 20:48:07
Moten walks up to the three standing by the SUV, bag in his casted left hand. "Agent Robert Moten, pleased to meet you," he says, extending his hand to shake. "Is there somewhere we can go to get out of the cold?"
Gatac 2005-03-11 21:23:29
Peter shakes Moten's hand, sizing the agent up.

"So you're the spook."

He holds out new SATCOMMs to the team.

"Here, fresh from our employer. We changed the keys when we got them, so we've got secure comms. We had to leave the truck behind, unfortunately, but I think we managed to lose them."

Peter grabs his own SATCOMM and presses a button, sending a pre-typed message to Agency HQ.

[color=#3366FF:72780ce47d]
To: Agency HQ

Team has been reunited. Made contact with Agent Thrush. Continuing pursuit of Agent Hummingbird until further order.
[/color]
Gatac 2005-03-11 21:25:15
"I hear the Ukraine's nice this time of year", Artis replies. "At least that's where we think our little hummingbird is headed. She is, or was, traveling with a Russian named 'Elena', some military/KGB training. You guys find anything out? Besides the fact that limos don't beat choppers?"
CrazyIvan 2005-03-11 21:56:16
"That, my friend, is where you are wrong."

He pats the bag with his gun in it, grinning like an idiot.

"Beyond that, all I found out is that the FSB is very, very interested in our little girl. Nurse in a clinic did mention she was with another woman, so that part of the story matches..."
punkey 2005-03-11 22:19:30
"I don't know what her mission is, but I'm pretty sure she's working towards a goal of some kind. I think we need to see her next move before we can tell what she's going to do next."

Moten reaches into his pocket and pulls out two FSB badges.

"You said you could do something with these?"
Gatac 2005-03-11 22:26:46
Peter grabs the badges.

"I could...in my safe house. I need some photos and a workbench with some surgical tools at the very least. But I guess I can try to improvise something with whatever we can get our hands on."
fanchergw 2005-03-11 23:00:31
Ilyanna is impressed. "You do nice work. Can't wait to see what all this baby can do."

Overhearing one end of the phone call, it sounds to her like they'll be meeting up with some of the other members of this team. Not wanting to sound like a completely green kid, she holds off on asking any questions.