Jade Imperium - Whiirr Wrap-Up and Hedion Pre-Game

Admiral Duck Sauce 2010-08-03 20:17:41
First off, advancement!

Everyone gets 8XP. I've rolled Cowboy's XP into how Dave and I reworked Max, so you needn't change anything, Dave. Likewise, Reagan, Robin is starting off with (I believe) an appropriate amount of raises and specializations.

I know Angel has leftovers, as he didn't really spend all of his XP from before even. I can't find hard numbers that match up to other PCs with any regularity, but I am confident that you would have 6 unspent XP, so Angel has 14XP, and some GM wiggle room if you come up shy of something.

A reminder of how to spend XP:
- Raising a Trait costs XP equal to the next die type up: going from d6 to d8 Might, for example, costs 8XP.
- Buying a Specialization costs XP equal to its linked Trait's die type. Adding a Toughness specialization under a d6 Might, for example, would cost 6XP.
- Raising a Trait brings along all linked specializations for free. To that end, buy specializations first and THEN raise the Traits.
- Raising an existing Aspect to the next die type up costs XP equal to the next die type, like raising a Trait.
- You can change an Aspect for free - just talk to me about it.
- Adding a new d4 Aspect costs 4XP and it can be raised normally from there.
- Adding to your permanent Wild Die pool costs 2XP per Wild Die.

---

I will be the first to admit that Whiirr was a misstep. The root problem was that the bad guys' goal was essentially to kill you guys (sure, "secure the Gateway for themselves" was technically their goal, but to do that, they'd have to kill you all), and a direct approach like that just isn't as fun. It was compounded by having a limited number of competent enemies. Up till Whiirr you guys pretty much always fought less-skilled minion types with the occasional big baddie monster. So because I limited the enemies and your goal was defense, it resulted in a lot of nothing to do for a long time, punctuated with a misplaced attempt to liven things up by making shit really really deadly. So, apologies for the boring and then painful adventure.

Moving forward with the next mission (rescuing Arketta's parents from Hedion), I want to work on pacing a little more and take a better editing eye to the proceedings. With this mission, hopefully there will be more situations to get everyone involved beyond the "yeah, I'll shoot that guy" level too.

Finally, Google Wave has become a useful tool for roleplaying conversations and the like, It's has kind of become a second OOC for this game, and a staging area for IC posts at times, and I don't see that changing. It's convenient more than it's annoying, so when appropriate I'll post OOC here and sometimes I'll post links to waves in OOC.
punkey 2010-08-03 21:18:34
Davis will take 6 of those XP and roll them into WD, bringing his total up to 8, and banking the remaining two for next time.

As for the Hedion planning, most of that is proceeding in Wave RP at the moment. Right now, we need intel more than anything else.

(Edit: Changing my raises, since math has revealed an additional 2 XP! Now boosting Might to d8 (Davis has been hitting the gym, got a kid on the way and all, need to come back alive) and only adding 1 more WD for 2 XP.)
Admiral Duck Sauce 2010-08-03 22:15:20
XP ALERT!

With help from Robert and Rob and Kasey, I have been alerted to the fact that not only does Angel get more XP than I thought, I was notoriously lax about updating after the last game. Like, Luis was missing Aspects lax. Dammit. Everyone's been fixed on the wiki.

So! Angel has spent 20XP out of 62 total XP (62 includes this most recent post-Whiirr award). You've got 42XP to blow! :D
Gatac 2010-08-03 22:19:24
Raising Hugh's Move to d8. Better sneaking and skedaddling sounds very useful at this juncture.

Also, cosmetic change: Change the flavor text of Imperium's Scourge, because as it's written, it totally doesn't jibe with Hugh's more Tao-like attitude.

"Imperium's Scourge d6: Imperial tactics, Imperial gear, Imperial soldiers - Hugh just 'gets' them."
punkey 2010-08-03 22:40:40
Hugh: "Shit, Angel, since when did you learn that?"
Angel: "I could always do that."
Hugh: "Why didn't -"
Angel: "You didn't ask."

:D
Gatac 2010-08-03 22:42:19
I prefer to think it's the confidence boost he got from hearing Hugh's pep speech just now. ;)
e of pi 2010-08-05 05:48:22
Okay, I think Luis is spending some time upping his Move to d8.
CrazyIvan 2010-08-06 06:53:19
admiralducksauce wrote:

XP ALERT!

With help from Robert and Rob and Kasey, I have been alerted to the fact that not only does Angel get more XP than I thought, I was notoriously lax about updating after the last game. Like, Luis was missing Aspects lax. Dammit. Everyone's been fixed on the wiki.

So! Angel has spent 20XP out of 62 total XP (62 includes this most recent post-Whiirr award). You've got 42XP to blow! :D

Wow...good job guys.

Hugh gives one hell of a pep-talk.
CrazyIvan 2010-08-06 07:05:36
Alright, so slightly confused.

Is that 62 based on the Wiki entry for Angel? Which is...quasi-up-to-date. My first (and only) use of an XP dump post-chargen on Angel was the following:

18 Banked:
Move Steady Shot up to d10 (-10 XP)
Tech Specialization (Explosives, Fragmentation) (-4 XP)
Adding a new Aspect "The Darkness" at d4. "Angel has gone up against the Imperium's best. Most of them ended up dead. Those that didn't as often as not never saw a thing. Stories have begun to spread - some true, some false, all terrifying."

16 Traits:
Moving Wits to d10 (-10 XP)
Moving Tech up to d6 (-6 XP)

10 Aspects:
Move Ghost up to d10 (-10 XP)

So Ghost was taken care of, as was Wits. Tech was not, nor was "The Darkness", the Tech specialization, or the bump to Steady Shot.

Trying not to over/doublespend.
CrazyIvan 2010-08-06 07:32:31
Talked to Punkey, his math says I'm down by 18 XP, factoring unupdated stuff in. Which is slightly more reasonable.
CrazyIvan 2010-08-06 08:01:11
Spending said XP, with discussion:

First, any chance you'll let me drop the Tech Specialization? Angel's been sticking to claymores for the most part, and well, there's alot of tech around. That would free up 4 XP. Otherwise, well, loan a man 2 XP?

Using that, banking 2 XP, raising The Darkness to d6, adding specialty "Sincerity" to Talk, and raising Talk to d8.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2010-08-06 14:05:39
Sure, I have no problem with dropping the explosives specialization. Claymores are pretty self-contained little things, it's more about hiding them and laying ambushes. Angel's (finally, after a long, long time) updated on the wiki.