Shinobi 11 - Menage a Samurai

Gatac 2000-01-01 00:00:00
Gatac 2012-03-07 15:00:14
While you let the Blue Oni's men escape with their lives, a tearful and wordless reunion takes place between Yukio and Toshiro. Although it's Yukio who permits herself the most tears, Toshi still looks profoundly shaken. A few times, he glances from the dead body to Toshiba, his already unreadable expression half-hidden behind Yukio's shoulder. As you get ready to leave, she pulls him up onto her horse's saddle, with a care and tenderness you rarely see from her. Maybe she's thawing out, maybe she's just overwhelmed by the moment.

It seems logical to press ahead and follow where the Blue Oni wanted to go; a man with a name and a meeting location are more than you've had so far, and there's hardly cause for turning back at this juncture. Even if it wasn't the case, you'd still have to contend with Yukio. The situation's simple for her: Blue Oni's employer ordered him to kidnap her Toshi. For this, he must die. After the quiet ascent where you had to keep her behind you to avoid warning the Oni, she's always in the lead on the way down. The descent is even trickier than the way up, landscape-wise, but at least there's no mercenaries or fog getting in the way. Still, negotiating the narrow pass takes up time, and the sun starts fading over the mountain range you're climbing down. Already, you can make out lights in the distance: the eastern coast, once dotted with fishing villages, now supports a wide band of construction. It's like somebody built an entire city like the shantytown areas around the historical part of the Forge: all wooden shacks and halls, buzzing with activity. What makes this even more bizarre is that it looks like the city's building something the Forge lack completely: a stone wall. The way it cuts through several districts shows that the city's growth has completely outpaced the planning. Still, who would put a wall around a city? Who would think of attacking a city?

Another impressive sight is the port, half natural bay, half loose stones piled into the waters to make a seawall. It is here that you realize how unknown this territory really is to you: easily four-fifths of the ships anchored look distinctly...foreign. Their white sails gleam in the last rays of daylight, marked with a simple symbol in red. Kasumi understands enough of commerce to know that these are ships are coming in for the night, not permanently moored ones, and Toshiba's keen sense of weather provides a good reason - there's storm clouds brewing on the horizon. Speaking of "any port in a storm"...smaller flecks of light dot the landscape around the city. Looks like there are good reasons to make camp outside.

(OOC Discussion of possible campsites follows)

Kasey Kagawa: Okay, then any particular location we should camp at
Kasey Kagawa: ?
Gatac: You can camp outside the city at a new location, one of the existing campfires, you can try getting a room at a boarding house in the outskirts of town. You probably won't get into the city proper, i.e. past the wall this late unless you make the guards a really sweet deal.
Kasey Kagawa: Well, assuming we've gone closer to the bonfires, any look like they won't try to rape Kasumi, Yukio, or Kiara in the night? :)
Gatac: There's a pair of what looks like elderly nobles with a slightly less elderly retainer, if you're looking for "safe".
Kasey Kagawa: Not so absolutely safe, just not leering greedily at the three women.
Kasey Kagawa: Or two men.
Gatac: Three men.
Kasey Kagawa: Three men!
Gatac: I know, Toshi's hard to count in the category.
Gatac: But, you know, technicalities.
Kasey Kagawa: Also, he's probably the one that needs the most defending.
Kasey Kagawa: God help anyone who tries to sexually assault Kasumi, Yukio or Kiara. :)
Gatac: Yeah, I'm thinking of Natalie's Rap there. "My dick is scared of you."
Gatac: So, old couple?
Kasey Kagawa: What are the other options?
Gatac: Group of foreign merchants. Larger group of what is either a circus or a wandering social experiment in diversity. And there's an abandoned fire that's still burning.
Kasey Kagawa: Hm.
Kasey Kagawa: Kasumi have any idea where the merchants are from?
Gatac: They are the foreigners who dominate the city. As Adam so charmingly calls them, the White Hairy Devils.
Gatac: Kagemaru speaks their language, though, and traders would probably have at least a couple guys who speak Imperial Common.
Kasey Kagawa: What's up with the circus?
Gatac: You'll have to ask them. They have monkeys, though.
Kasey Kagawa: !
Kasey Kagawa: Avoid.
Kasey Kagawa: Kasumi knows better than to trust monkeys.
Kasey Kagawa: She's known too many thieves who have monkeys.
Kasey Kagawa: What do the merchants look like?
Kasey Kagawa: Group-wise.
Gatac: A half dozen middle aged, foreign types, in foreign clothes. Two guards, obviously both hired local retainers.
Aug 25, 2010

New.mysteryman@googlewave.com:
what be the meaning of this ^? *reads*

Aug 25, 2010

Me:
Discussion I had with Kasey, scene setup, I'll prettify later
Aug 25, 2010

Admiralducksauce@googlewave.com:
Goddammit we need monkeys!
Aug 25, 2010

that we do ._.
Can I get one as a pet? =D
Aug 25, 2010

Punkey0@googlewave.com:
Have none of you seen Raiders? Monkeys only end in poisoned death.
Aug 25, 2010

Me:
Maybe later, Thomas. :P
Aug 25, 2010

or I could get... whatever that fraggin' Beastmaster had. Those small critters.
Aug 25, 2010

Admiralducksauce@googlewave.com:
Gelflings!
Aug 25, 2010

Me:
Clearly, the only suitable pets for a ninja are turtles or rats
Aug 25, 2010

heh, Turtle reminds me totally of Rock Lee & Guy Maito xD
Aug 25, 2010

Me:
So, scene, plz? :)
Gatac 2012-03-07 15:07:38
Kasumi eyes the group of foreign merchants. She doesn't understand their language, but some of them probably speak the Emperor's tongue. They seem to be middle aged, with a few local hired guards. Odd that these foreigners would spend the night outside of their own city if they were heading out. More likely they came here too late to enter. She turns to Kagemaru. "You speak their language, yes?"
Kagemaru nods. "I do. Want me to listen to them first? Or should we greet them now?"
Kasumi smiles. "Why not do both? We shall make our introductions in the Emperor's tongue, and listen to what they say."

Kagemaru nods again, hoping that his information about the language are as complete as he thinks. The Village only had books to learn from. As you close in, the merchants notice your approach - after their guards. Their lively but hushed conversation breaks for a moment as they look up to you and your horses. They say nothing. The guards say nothing. It's all a little uncomfortable.

Kasumi puts on her most charming smile and bows deeply. "Pardon me, but might we trouble you to share your fire tonight?"

The merchants huddle together and resume talking in their tongue. "Watt haddse gesacht?" "Wolln anse Feuer." "Ach jo, die sehn doch janz tüschtisch aus, frach mal eener wie se he-zen."

One of the merchants - the most ahem rotund one, though that's saying something - gets up from his apparently quite comfortable seating arrangement and strokes his (long) beard thoughtfully.

"At our fire you want to sit?" he asks. "Good, do it."
Kasumi bows again. "Thank you very much, sir."
"I am Knut," the robust man offers. "My friends are Werner, Olaf, Karl, Walter and Hans-Peter. Did not make it over the pass in time."

More talking among the merchants. "Wat meenst, wollnse eenschiffen? Oder nur kieken?" "Ham noch nien ordentlichn kahn gesehen, de armen teufel." "Aye, aber die hengn dir nu anne reeling, dat sach ich euch gleech."
Kasumi elbows Kagemaru as she steps closer to the fire. "You have business in the city?"
"Nothing you'd want to hear really." Kage whispers to Kasumi.
"Yes, we are here on business matters," Knut says. He indicates his wares. "Fine silk from your people. We trade it for spice and weapons."
Kasumi smiles. "Do you know how we can gain access to the city tomorrow? We have a meeting to attend."

"Watt hatt se? Een 'Meeting'? Watn dat?" "Een Treffen, du Doesbaddel!" "Ach nö, die Schicke?" "Na, und ihre Saufkumpane da."

"You can get in when the gate opens," Knut says. "There are customs. But it is a free city."
Kasumi bows again. "Thank you, sir. Do you mind if we make camp next to your party?"
"Nur keene Umstende," Werner opines.

"You are welcome to," Knut says.
She bows again. "Thank you very much, sirs. Pardon me while I help my associates set up our camp."

As Kasumi walks away, Kagemaru kneels down to the merchants, "Obwohl ich eure Unterhaltung sehr spassig fand, hege ich doch den Gedanken, dass ich euch über meine Sprachkenntnisse informieren sollte." He says with a friendly grin.
"Oh!" Knut says. "Ja, also, dann, ja...guten Abend, der Herr," he says.
"Jetzt ham se schon Ubersetzer!" Werner says. "Die Schicke muss ja Kohlen haben."
Kagemaru has to laugh at that. "Wäre schön wenn ich dafür Geld sehen würde, aber wir sind nur Bekannte," then he looks at Knut and adds, "und Dialekte verstehe ich auch recht gut, also könnt ihr reden wie euch die Schnauzen gewachsen sind."

As Kagemaru converses with the hairy white devils (and _so_ fat!), Toshiba gives them a pleasant enough smile and falls to helping the others make camp.

"Na dass is dochn Wort! Machma den Punsch heiß!"

As you unpack your horses and prepare your side of the camp, the foreigners rummage around their gear and finally produce a cask of liquid plus a metal pot. You watch with idle interest as they hang the pot over the fire and pour the liquid inside. After a brief heating period, the wafting smell of alcohol tells you that this is either a very aggressive floor scrubbing product or some sort of alcoholic drink that makes Sake look like water. Even more worryingly, they fill a few metal cups with them and hand them off to you. Looks like you made some quick friends.

"Oh, Danke." Kagemaru says as he takes one of the cups. He immediately regrets his curiosity as he takes a small sip and coughs immediately afterwards. "Meine Jüte is des starch."
"Kriechste Haare auffer Brust, meen Jung," Werner says, toasting Kagemaru. Toshi's actually the second to try the drink, and surprises you all by slamming the entire cup in one go. Following that, he takes a moment to burp and then falls over, hitting the ground fast asleep. "Sonntagssäufer," Werner comments.
"Looks like we've found an answer for wake-up tea," Toshiba says. "Hit me."

If Toshiba had tried Wake-up Tea - he didn't, but if he had - he might come to the conclusion that this beverage is what you get when you take the already noxious liquid and set it on fire before drinking it. It does improve on the second sip after the first one has already numbed his throat, though.

Kasumi looks at the rest of the group, and gets a cup for herself. She waits for Yukio to take her turn, then raises her cup to Yukio. "To a successful rescue of Toshi." She smiles. "Again."
"May he stay rescued this time," Yukio toasts.

Kasumi takes a drink. She doesn't cough and sputter, but that's just because it doesn't turn her gut inside out like wake-up tea did. Two more drinks finishes off her portion of the strong drink, and she messily bows again and steps a bit away from the camp to sit heavily down on her bedroll as the world starts to slightly spin.

"'scuse me, fellas," Yukio says, and wanders off to join Kasumi.

"Eeen Lied!" Werner demands. "Sach mal eener n Lied!"

"You hairy white devils are all right by me," Toshiba adds before wandering back to his bedroll. He thinks really hard about keeping watch but then surrenders to the rigors of the long trek through the pass.

Knut quickly provides his strong voice for the task; the rest of the group picks up the melody part and sing where necessary. Soon, you get into the vibe of the foreign music...

"Das kann doch einen Seemann nicht erschüttern...keine Angst, keine Angst, Rosmarie!"

While still unsure, the alcohol makes it easier for Kage to sing along.
Gatac 2012-03-07 15:09:41
Yukio definitely has a tiny bit of sway to her walk when she walks up to Kasumi and unceremoniously plunks herself down beside her.

"Whassa matter?" Yukio slurs. "They give you a half cup and yer already on your geisha ass."
"It was..." Kasumi starts, and drifts off a bit. "It was a full cup. And I don't like gettin' this drunk around...around..." She rolls her head over to look at Yukio, and smiles. "Around anyone. Don't like being out of control."
"A geisha that hates being drunk, now I've seen everything," Yukio replies.
"I'mmnot a geisha," Kasumi slurs. "I told you a hundred times, I'm a criminal! A filthy grifter, a thief! I lie to everyone, all the time, about who I am, and if that ever slips..." she stops shouting and slumps back down, "it's all over." She looks back to Yukio. "So, I can't...be like this around people. 'Specially you."
"You're no fun drunk," Yukio states. "This drunk. You get better if we go deeper?"
Kasumi looks curiously at her cup, then back to Yukio for a second. "Don't know." She thrusts her cup in front of Yukio. "If you think so, sensei," she says with a wicked grin.
Yukio grins wickedly and holds her own cup up. "Now this battle technique, I call 'The Gargler'...you practice that while I get more, uh, lesson fuel."

Yukio wanders off, but shortly returns with two fresh cups. That must be one hell of a cask.

"You're still not drunk enough, I kin tell," Yukio says.

Kasumi smiles and takes another swig of the booze. "Maybe, I'm feeling warmer already."

Yukio sits down heavily next to Kasumi, and the two women sit next to each other, drinking. Kasumi works hard at remaining ramrod straight, and manages to do so, despite her increasing intoxication.

Kasumi sneaks a glance at Yukio next to her, which turns into a stare.

"Now what are you looking at?" Yukio says. "You don't like my haircut or what?"
"I'm sorry," Kasumi blurts out, then slumps. "Damn."
"Spit it out," Yukio says. "I'll hit ya if you don't."
"I'm sorry about what I said this morning. Sorry about hurting your feelings, sorry about how I've been acting, sorry about...about a lot of things." Kasumi hangs her head. "I do trust you. I trust you more than...than I've trusted anyone for a long time. Something about you reminds me of...of someone that I lost a long time ago. A lot. Just like you. Honorable, I mean, really honorable. Always stood up for the little guy, always did the right thing. I mean, Toshi's my friend and I'll do whatever it takes to protect him, but...but you I really, really...trust." She takes another drink and looks down into her cup.
Yukio's brain might be too addled to work through all of that, but she does get the gist, at least, and puts her arm around Kasumi. "Aww, come here," she says. "You're a nice one. Don't let nobody fool you."
Kasumi leans on Yukio's shoulder and puts her arm around her as well. "No, no, I'm not. I'm not like you. I can't be anymore. I'm just - just...this."
"Hurt? Confused?" Yukio asks. "You drink up, Kasumi. Sensei's orders. And I'll hold you 'til it goes away, if it takes all night."

Kasumi takes another drink, then looks up at Yukio. She leans towards her, resting her head against Yukio's. She looks up at the sky, closes her eyes and looks back down, squeezing tears out of the corners of her eyes. "I'm sorry I'm not who you wanted me to be," she whispers at their laps. She looks back up at Yukio, and looks her in the eyes, tears reflecting the nearby fires and the stars above as her arm slide forward behind Yukio's back and she leans closer to her. "I..I wish I could..."
"I know," Yukio says. "I don't care what you say, I know. Come here."

It's good that Kasumi picked a dark, sheltered corner for her sleeping place.

Kiara had, surprisingly uncharacteristically of her, stayed fairly silent throughout all the exchanges. Not understanding their language meant that she focused more on what emotions or movements were taking place, her sharp eyes focused on each person as the night went on, her own figure blending to the shadows as subtly as any ninja. It was too easy to be caught off guard when the team was drunk, and she was not one to be subjected to thieves or whatever else roamed these areas. The young ninja girl never bothered to try the drink, much preferring to relish in the glory of a well earned kill than to dull the senses for a false sense of joy.

That, and being able to watch drunken team mates was prime blackmail material.

Which is why, of course, when Kiara realized the rather cozy atmosphere between the teacher and the student, her bemusement battled against her sudden wish for the ability to draw to capture the moment. Had she any sense of decency she probably should have looked away, but witnessing two very drunken women who each bore particularly head strong wills was too good to pass (particularly the strong will part; they were always trying to one up the other as if in eternal competition, but then this..)

The ninja could barely contain her snickers as she edged around their vicinity, wondering if she should interrupt the moment (working under the assumption that they'd forget what happened in their drunken stupor and thus not have the memory to be angry at her), or to let them be. In the end, she decided against jumping in, as she really didn't want to take that bet on the memory loss.

Kiara gingerly stepped back, her grin likely the basis of the Cheshire cat's, but her movements were silent and she kept the scene to herself. She was, after all, still a ninja, and some secrets were meant to remain secret. Not, of course, that she'd pretend like she'd never seen it. Certainly not..
Gatac 2012-03-07 15:11:49
Eventually, even the biggest bubble of blissful post-revelry sleep must be pierced by the first beautiful, yet harsh, rays of sunlight. And thus the next morning is upon you. Strewn around the campfire where you laid down - or fell, in some cases - you slowly, ever so slowly, regain your wits.

Kasumi opens her eyes to see the face of Yukio straight across. Further investigation finds the lady samurai's arms wrapped around Kasumi in an embrace not quite unlike a bearhug, and her own hands slipped inside Yukio's kimono, one wrapped around her back, and the other resting on something rather intimate on her chest. The only mercy is that Yukio is still asleep.

Kasumi starts awake and slowly tries to pull her hands out from inside Yukio's garments, but it's nigh impossible to pull her right arm out from behind Yukio without brushing up against her. Yukio murrs and stirs in her sleep as Kasumi slowly tries to remove her hands. Kasumi can't quite contort enough to escape gracefully, and has to grope Yukio again to get past her.

Yukio's eyes open quickly while her body stays completely still. Must be a "heard someone crack a twig, assassins are sneaking up on me" kind of reflex.

Kasumi smiles awkwardly. "Good morning," she whispers.
"Kasumi, you can take your hands off me now," Yukio says. In return, she slowly withdraws her own arms and lets Kasumi free.
"Yeah, that's probably a good idea." Kasumi pulls her arms the rest of the way out of Yukio's clothes, scoots back a bit and sits up. "So, err..." She awkwardly runs her hands through her hair as Yukio reties her kimono.
"Yes," Yukio agrees. "I guess."
Kasumi awkwardly at Yukio again, halfway looking her in the face. "Well, it was...nice. I mean, I had a good time - I mean, if you did."
"Yes, nice," Yukio says. After a moment, the two look at each other.

"Toshi," both say at the same time.
Kasumi's hands go to her mouth. "Oh, Gods, Toshi," she says. "You don't think he -"
"If he did, we need to - we need to explain, you know, and tell him - I need to tell him, that this is not - I mean, he's still my..."
"Oh, yes, I would never want to do that to Toshi -"

"Owwwwwwwww," comes a mewling sound from a few meters away. It's Toshi, waking up and clearly not liking it. "Somebody...owwwwww...I don't feel so good."
Kasumi looks over her shoulder in Toshi's direction, then back to Yukio and smiles. "You should probably go and help him," she says, and brushes a bit of Yukio's hair back over her ear.
Yukio nods to Kasumi, then shuffles off to help Toshi up. "I'm coming, Toshiro," she says. She gently grabs him by the collar and drags him a few inches up; his hands find purchase on the ground, and now he's on his knees, at least.
"I'm never drinking again," Toshi moans. "Never ever never."

Kasumi watches Yukio hug Toshi as the poor man comes to grips with the consequences of last night's activities, and shakes her head in amusement. She then goes about cleaning up her bed roll from what she and Yukio were up to last night, and smiles. She remembers leaning towards Yukio, and the two of them kissing, then again, and again, and then they rolled over onto their sides on her bed roll - and then it's all a blur after that. They were both still mostly clothed, so nothing serious went on, but...perhaps it's best not to talk about it right now.

"I used to get sooooo drunk," Toshi drawls, clearly not quite sober yet. "Soooo drunk. But no more! Not ever ever ever again! I mean it this time!" He quiets down a bit. "Used to drink all the best stuff..."

Kasumi ties off her bedroll and packs it up, then waits a few feet away from Yukio and Toshi for her to get Toshi adequately situated so he won't just pass out again, and they can start their morning exercises.

No dream can withstand the whining of a Toshiro Kagemaru thinks, after sitting up and looking at Yukio and her husband. Surprisingly he doesn't have the headache he expected after the first few sips. After standing up he sees Kiara besides him.
Still snoring and drooling, she lies all spread out on her bedroll. Kage has to smile at that.

Seems like I was wrong. Her laziness bests even Toshiros unpleasant noises.

"Rise and shine Kiara," he says while prodding her.
Gatac 2012-03-07 15:12:58
You quickly break camp together with Knut, Werner and friends. Loading up the horses takes a while, but many hands make light work; Kagemaru gets to demonstrate that he's learned several songs from his new friends, though owing to the collective mild hangover, the volume's not as loud as yesterday evening. Things quiet down further, however, when Toshiba shows up, wearing the Blue Oni's armor. Werner gives Kagemaru a "You're with that guy, huh?" glance but says nothing further. Knut, however, does.

"Kalle," he says, not quite able to pronounce 'Kagemaru' and subbing in a nickname, "are you people traveling with a knight?"

Toshiba is suddenly very aware of the looks. "What?" he asks Kagemaru, a little worried that they might be inheriting the Oni's enemies already but not willing to doff the distinctive gear.

"He thinks you're the Blue Oni I guess." Kagemaru says to Toshiba. Afterwards he turns back to Knut and says "Er is nich der Blaue Oni, falls du das meinst. Wir hatten gestern ein zusammentreffen mit eben diesem und er unterlag. Wisst ihr zufällig was über den Blauen Oni?"
"Neee," Knut drawls. "Alle sind se bunt und hab'n saebel, das jeht mich nix an." He turns to Toshiba. "A good morning, Sire!"
Kagemaru has to chuckle at Knut's remarks and gives Toshiba an "all's ok" nod. Then he turns to Knut again. "Toshiba is kein Ritter. Er fand nur die Rüstung toll."
Knut laughs. "Ne du, Kalle," he says, "sowat waer mir jar nich in'n sinn jekommen. Ihr seid aber och'n paar marken."