Swamp Things

Gatac 2014-11-24 11:10:01
(Takao's Bluff: 1d20+3 = 17

Takao feels wind draw over him, like a gigantic nose is trying to sniff him.

NASTY HUMANS! GO, CARRY THEIR STINK ELSEWHERE!

"Yes, yes!" Nikochi replies, dancing around with the dangling balls between his legs. "We will leave! Goodbye!"

GOODBYE TRICKSTER.

How far do you have to go to be out of earshot of murderous Yokai who may or may not actually exist? Apparently as far as it takes before the dense canopy of the swamp thins out and admits some moonlight onto the ground. Only now does Nikochi remove the jockstrap, though he hesitates to take off the mask.

"They didn't sound very hungry," he remarks. "We got very lucky, my friends."

"I don't feel so good," Kichirou says.
MikeS 2014-11-24 21:18:31
"What the hell was that?", Takao grumbles as he takes off the mask and hands it back to Nikochi. "Ugh, what a nasty thing."

"And you're saying Ikishi is one of them? I've seen her; she looked like a flesh and blood human to me."

"Anyway, how much further to the village? I could do with some hot soup and a bowl of rice"
Gatac 2014-11-26 12:56:47
Nikochi makes no attempt to take Takao's mask. "Keep it," he says. "I've no use for that nasty old thing."

"You are easily fooled, friend!" Nikochi says. "Sadly, most are. Your mind too closed off! If you do not believe yokai can exist, then you will never see them. Fortunately for you, I keep all my masks rubbed down with spirit powder to commune more easily with the world beyond."

...spirit powder? Is that the vaguely moldy smell in the masks? Takao runs a finger along the inside of the mask, wiping off a thin layer of green that feels slimy rubbed between his fingers.

"It is better that you did not see," Nikochi continues, "but at least you heard their questions."

"Oh...Gods!" are the last words that escape Kichirou's pale lips before he turns away from the little group and starts hurling into a nearby bog. Considering the sparse rations in their prison, the evacuated volume of half-digested food is quite remarkable. "Ugh..." Kichirou moans. After a moment's hesitation, he uses the sleeve of his already-ruined clothes to wipe his mouth.

"I told you not to let go of the mask!" Nikochi chides him. "Now you've got something riding in you! It'll probably start trying to escape...from both ends."

"You can't be serious!" Kichirou moans between heaving and gasping for air.

"I'm always serious," Nikochi says. He turns to Takao. "I'll be heading back to the swamp, to make sure those yokai don't follow you," he says. "The village Hashi is a half hour that way - just keep following the river north." He smiles as he pulls on his mask again. "Well, this has been a most welcome diversion, friends! I hope to see you again - in daylight, by preference. Toodles!"
MikeS 2014-11-27 01:19:33
"Wait, you're not coming with us? You don't want to get a second chance to go after the yokai that chased you out of the palace and robbed you of your position as High Lord? Seems to me that if we can't see her for what she is, then we're fighting with our hands tied, and you could help us." Takao doesn't know if the Medium would turn out to be an asset or a liability, but to him it sounds like a good idea to have another friendly High Lord around.

He takes Kichirou by the arm. "Can you walk? Another half hour?" He looks for traces of the green substance around Kichirou's mouth and nose.
Gatac 2014-11-27 12:27:16
Nikochi shakes his head. "No, that's more trouble than it's worth. I was High Lord for a week, look what it got me! I've had enough of it! I hope you kill the yokai, though - I guess I'll find out when I leave the swamp next winter." He taps his own mask as he walks backward. "Keep your eyes open and your faces hidden, friends! Works for me!"

Welp, looks like the Medium isn't coming.

The spirit powder is indeed all over Kichirou's face, as if he needed more help looking green. Still, he stays on his feet as he walks with Takao. "...I'll try," he says.
MikeS 2014-11-27 14:25:01
Takao looks around for some less murky pool at the edge of the swamp. "Let's wash your face. That's probably what's making you sick, and not some yokai. Call me suspicious, but part of me still thinks that the spirit powder actually gives rise to the spirits in first place, though I can't explain how we all hear the same voices. Did you see anything when the yokai were near?"

After Kichirou's face is cleaned up, the two start the walk to the village. Takao will support the courtier if needs be. "Come on, just half hour, and then some warm soup and rice. You've almost made it."
Gatac 2014-12-07 09:14:52
Given the amount of pools and the lack of proper lighting, relative murkiness is a little difficult to judge, but you do locate a pond that seems to be less than 10% foreign matter by volume and splash some of it on Kichirou's face. The young dancer gasps for air a few times, but it seems like the worst has passed as Takao helps him to his feet.

"Yeah, I'm not so sure either about this spirit hoo-hah either," Kichirou says. "I didn't see shit. Heard those voices just fine, but for all we know that old ass can throw his voice. Now, come on, you said something about warm soup and rice? I think we need to add a hot bath to that tab." He shakes some wetness from his ruined gown. "Look at this damn mess."
Gatac 2014-12-08 13:09:57
With little more time to lose, you set off towards the village Nikochi spoke of, following the river north just like he said. Kichirou seems to be recovering well, and it's just about 26 minutes later that you come to a tall, wide bridge spanning the river. Many houses seem built onto and to the sides of the bridge itself, with only a few huts on either shore, but the overall size quite justifies calling it a village. They even have a painted wooden sign - a fine sign, look at that linework - with the name Hashi superimposed over a silhouette of the bridge. Underneath said bridge seems to be a small landing, with a few small boats tied up there for the night. Torchlight and music from atop the bridge complete the picture: apparently the tavern is nowhere near shutting down for the night.

"Well, look at that," Kichirou says, thoughts of food and bath forgotten as his eyes fix on the boats. "We could be back in town before sunrise with one of these."
MikeS 2014-12-08 13:17:43
"Let's put some food in you first. Looks like you got rid of most of it by the swamp", Takao responds.

"Where's the best place for you to go right now, anyway? I'd think Ikishi will have her guys hunt after you, and we have to make sure they don't get their hands on you again."
Gatac 2014-12-08 13:27:11
"Right, food," Kichirou says. "Well, then you better drop trou and start shitting silver, because right now anything better than a swift kick in the ass is out of our price range."

My, my, isn't somebody getting cheeky.

"Seriously, let's just take a boat. One way or another we have to get back into town. The goonsquad won't search the swamp, but this right here? This is the first place I'd be looking for us if I was them."
MikeS 2014-12-09 00:45:55
"Strange world you live in," says Takao with a shrug. "You're worried about money for a meal, which costs a few coppers, and which might be given to us for free, but you have no qualms stealing a boat."

"Listen: if the goon squad thinks we'll be making for the city, they probably won't come looking for us at all, because we have to go past the mill to get back to town. One of them at least will be nearby, and they've had time to send a messenger for more men. Crossing the bridge and following the road on the other side gives us more options and less exposure. Besides, do you even know how to sail one of those? 'Cause I sure don't."

Takao points to the tavern. "Let's go over there, see if someone might give us a hand, or a bowl of rice or a ride. You'd be surprised how nice people can be."
Gatac 2014-12-09 14:31:40
Kichirou looks at Takao for a moment, then closes his eyes and pinches his nose as he turns his head away.

"Yes," he says. "Yes...yes, you're right. Let's see what the tavern has to offer."

The tavern seems well-frequented despite the advanced hour, as the sounds of chatter, laughter and plucked strings can be heard from inside. All of that is immediately intensified when Takao slides open the door, getting a blast of the warm air inside. Villagers, boatmen and other workers are crowded around the tables, while a fire crackles in the corner next to an old man with unkempt white hair who looks like he's been plucking away at the koto on his knees since before the dynasty started. The barkeep, a man with a figure like a bent bamboo stalk, smiles at you and waves you over.

"Heeey," he says. "You cats look like you could use some..." He scans you from head to toe. "...everything," he concludes, sniffing at the air. "That funk has got to go, man," he says to Takao. "You want to wash up first? It's not much of a bath but I've got clean water and some soap in the back. And when you're back, some tea and okayu?"
MikeS 2014-12-16 01:32:41
Takao takes a long, hard look at Kichirou. The dancer has spent too much time in captivity, and the escape wasn't exactly a cakewalk. Takao wants to make sure that Kichirou doesn't try to head off on his own all of a sudden, only to be recaptured as he rushes home, so he will pay extra attention to the young man for the next day.

The tavern makes Takao feel a lot better all at once. He spent much time in these establishments, and they feel a bit like home.

He leans in as he replies quietly:"We would be grateful for any food and services you are willing to give us, but we cannot pay you right now. We were captured by criminals who took all of our belongings, and we are trying to make our way back to the capital, where we have friends and holdings. You have my word that any help you can give us will be paid back tenfold. What do you say?"

Takao's voice is earnest, and he speaks the truth. No need to mention that the criminals are in the employ of the highest in the land.
Gatac 2014-12-17 12:22:10
The barkeep just nods. "Don't worry about that now," he says. "Go and clean up. I'll have the tea ready when you come back."
MikeS 2014-12-19 00:40:31
Takao rushes through his ablutions. He doesn't take a full bath, but instead just washes the dirtiest parts over the basin, all the while keeping a wary eye on both Kichirou and the entrance. While he sincerely hopes that the innkeep is an honest man, he will not take a chance on the possibility of betrayal.
Gatac 2014-12-20 10:36:04
(Takao's Notice: 1d20+16 = 32
?: 1d20+6 = 19)

Takao's course of action is wise, as there is indeed movement at the tavern's entrance shortly after their arrival. A gaunt older man in drab clothes strides into the tavern, with a simple sword at his side. It only takes Takao a moment to recognize the face of Yoshi - High Lord Shira's right-hand man!

(Yoshi's Notice: 1d20+10 = 17
Takao's Blend, at a +2 circumstance bonues: 1d20+1+2 = 7 FAIL!)

Sadly, for all his good instincts about trying to stay out of direct sight, Takao is no ninja - or perhaps Yoshi had an idea where he needed to look to begin with. His eyes lock with Takao's, and after the briefest look of surprise on his face, he turns and walks towards Takao.

"Hey, man," the barkeep begins. "Can I help you with something or..."

Yoshi ignores him.
MikeS 2014-12-20 11:55:35
Takao turns to face Yoshi squarely, his arms loosely at his side, palms turned towards Yoshi, to indicate he is unarmed.

"Yoshi," he says flatly. "What a surprise. I was expecting Firebolt or the swordsman. Does your presence here mean you are no longer content with honor alone, or may I still hope that you are here for a different reason altogether?"
Gatac 2014-12-20 12:41:05
Yoshi frowns. "I am not your enemy, Takao-san," he says. He reaches for his sword - and slides the scabbard out of his obi, offering the weapon to Takao. "A token of my respect - and your need of it in this hour is greater than mine."
MikeS 2014-12-20 13:39:35
Takao lets out a breath that he didn't realize he was holding.

"I am glad to hear that. I figured you for an honorable man, and was very surprised to see you here."

Takao accepts the sword and shoves it into his obi.

"But tell me, what brings you here at this hour? Surely, you know that I had gone... missing, these past few weeks? And why don't you wear your own blade?"
Gatac 2014-12-20 13:49:05
Yoshi nods.

"It is precisely your disappearance that brought me here," he says. "And Himiko-ojou's talent for deduction. But that is talk for another place and another time. Let us make haste now, before dawn makes us easy prey."

"...can I come out now?" Kichirou asks, sticking his head and shoulders out of the back room.