Jumping at shadows

Gatac 2013-03-23 17:13:35
IC Thread 22, wherein we spar with the Shadowwatch and make plans.
Gatac 2013-03-23 17:14:16
The terms for the Sparring Showdown of the Century decided, and Toshi under a rotated guard as he recuperates, Kirika leads Yukio back upstairs to her old room to change and prepare for the fight to come. She winks at Yukio as she undoes her sword from her obi. “This has been some day, yeah?”
“Did we really just enter an alliance with the Shadowguard?” Yukio asks herself. “I’m sorry, Kirika, but...even by our standards, much has happened today, some of which I still find hard to come to terms with.”
“Does that...” Kirika pauses as she slides her kimono off her shoulders. “Does that include what I have done to you?”
Yukio smiles. “You mean telling me the truth? I will admit, when I was guessing at the truth behind your act, you being the scion of the Kamura clan was not my first idea.” She reaches out to put her hand on Kirika’s bare shoulder. “All that matters is that you are here, dearest.”
Kirika smiles and put her hand on Yukio’s for a moment, before dropping her kimono to the floor and resuming the hunt in her things for attire better suited for sparring. “I remember the last time I stepped into a sparring match,” she says suggestively.
“As I recall, we beat each other black and blue,” Yukio says. “I am glad that our interactions have become gentler over time. There should be a padded suit in the second drawer from the top.”
Kirika turns back to Yukio and puts her hands on her hips and a shocked expression on her face. “Are you suggesting that I cheat in my fight against the Shadowwatch?”
“I suggest that you protect yourself properly for the sparring fight, because we do not have any wake-up tea around here,” Yukio says. “Do you honestly think that the Shadowwatch will not be protecting themselves?”
“No, but I just wanted to hear you say it,” Kirika says with a smirk, and pulls the suit out of storage. She holds it up to herself. “It’s disconcerting how much of your teenage clothes fit me. Maybe I’ll get lucky and I can still grow up to be as big and strong as you are,” she says in a flirtatious tone.
“Only if we double your exercises,” Yukio quips.
Kirika slinks forward. “Like you weren’t going to do that anyway, given what we face now.”
Yukio embraces Kirika. “Maybe I just enjoy seeing you sweat,” she says.
“There’s no maybe about that,” Kirika replies, then adds a kiss on top. “I recall that after our sparring match, you and I ended up in a hot bath together. Do you remember that?”
“It is very hard to forget,” Yukio says. “Are you suggesting I wait for you in the bath after the sparring with Homi’s men?”
“I will certainly need one,” Kirika says with a smile. “And until then, I want you to close your eyes, and think of the euphoric feeling of a good, strong exercise, and the warm relaxation of being in that tub.” Kirika starts to rub her hands up and down Yukio’s backside.
Yukio closes her eyes and smiles. “I suppose we will be exploring the effect of impure thoughts on sparring effectiveness, then?”
“I have a few theories on that,” Kirika says. “Just keep your eyes closed and think about that hot soak in the water.” She slides down through Yukio’s arms, and kneels in front of her love as Yukio supports herself against the table behind her.
Gatac 2013-03-24 12:48:25
The floor is opened to the first pair of duelists: Kirika vs. the Shadowguard himself, Hiro Homi. The elder ninja approaches with a pair of tonfas, while Kirika wields a practice sword weighed in the Kamura family style and wearing Yukio’s padded training armor. Homi smirks underneath the brim of his hat.

“Do you not wish to be hurt?” he asks.
"Oa-sensei lectured me on sparring once," Kirika replies. "He made Yukio and myself drink three cups of wake-up tea after we sparred the night before a raid. Considering that we never know when the next threat might come, I am following my master's advice." She smirks. "Why, do you wish to be hurt?"
“A man in my age does not recuperate as quickly from injuries as I would like,” Homi says. “Then again, a man of my experience is rarely hit. We will see how our philosophies fare. Be on your guard now!”

(Initiative!
Hiro Homi: 1d20+15 = 33
Kirika: 1d20+10 = 27

ROUND 1

For his opening move, Hiro Homi uses Two-Weapon Fighting, accepting a -2 to all attacks and skill checks for the round. He then assumes Driving Stance as a half action and then uses his last half action to make two attacks with his tonfas.

First attack: 1d20+14+2-2 = 26 Hit!
Subdual damage + Sneak Attack: 1d6+1d6 = 8, reduced to 6 due to Kirika’s armor
Kirika’s Fort Save vs DC 13: 1d20+7+4 = 27 SUCCESS!

Kirika is no longer flat-footed and is pushed 5 feet back.

Second attack: 1d20+14+2-2 = 24
Subdual damage: 1d6 = 3, reduced to 1
Kirika’s Save vs DC 13: 1d20+7+4 = 24 SUCCESS!

Kirika is pushed 5 feet back.)

The old man is fast, no doubt. Kirika sees his twin tonfas flash toward her before she can adequately shield herself, and the impacts quickly drive her backwards. The padded armor was definitely a good idea, because those things might not break the skin, but they hurt pretty good.

(Kirika chooses to attack Homi twice, inflicting subdual damage due to the training weapon.

First attack: 1d20+12 = 32 Threat!
Homi attempts to Parry using the Crossed Blades trick: 2d20.hi+8 = 28 and an action die: 1d8 = 2 A VALIANT EFFORT, BUT ALAS...
Kirika spends an action die to confirm the critical hit!
Damage: Take higher of 1d10+7 = 14 or 1d10+7 = 17
Homi’s Fort save vs DC 18: 1d20+6 = 19 SUCCESS!

Homi is stunned and cannot take any actions next round.

Second attack: 1d20+12 = 21 Hit!
Damage: Take higher of 1d10+7 = 12 or 1d10+7 = 14
Homi’s Fort save vs DC 25: 1d20+6 = 10 WAH WAH WAH...

Homi gains Fatigued I.)

The Kamura style is most known for graceful, flowing attacks, but Kirika remembers the other hallmark of the style - raw damage. Her father had a patient blade that many mistook for inner calm, but she remembered the true reason why: it was rare that his first blow did not cleave a man square in two, and to her, it is a sign of how deeply she has internalized her katas to be able to do the same.

However, Kirika does not know that her father was the only practitioner of the style to be able to perform the devastating blows on more than the rarest occasions - but that fact does not save Hiro Homi. It is only his extreme level of training and experience that allows him to see the attack coming at all, and he raises his tonfas with his arms crossed, in perfect position to catch and deflect the blade - but when it hits, Kirika's blow shatters the iron defense of the Shadowguard. His tonfas, instead of acting as a catch, are split like paper before a sword, and instead of deflecting the blow, guide it straight to Hiro Homi's temple. The blade strikes with a CRACK, and all Homi can see is white and pain. Kirika swings her sword through the strike and follows with a blow to the ribs that doubles over the famed ninja, sending him gasping for breath.

(+1 AD for Kirika because dammit, why does she always get a Nat 20 first thing in these fights? Also the description is cool. So, with Homi stunned, Kirika gets to go again in...

ROUND 2

And Kirika attacks again, twice. Homi is no longer stunned.

First attack: 1d20+12 = 25
Homi tries another Parry with Crossed Blades, against a number he can actually hit this time: 2d20.hi+8 = 19 ...and he still fails.
Damage: 2d10.hi+7 = 17
Homi’s Fort save vs DC 18: 1d20+6 = 21 SUCCESS!

Homi is no longer flat-footed. But don’t celebrate too early, Homi.

Second attack: 1d20+12 = 21 MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH)

Homi rights himself just in time to take another strike in the ribs, staggering him back. A second strike is barely deflected by a wild swing of one tonfa before Homi finally has his feet back under him.

(Let the revengeance begin!)

ROUND 3

Homi uses Two-Weapon Style, accepting a -5 to all attacks and skill checks. He then uses a full action to make four attacks against Kirika - hopefully, one should connect and give him some breathing room.

First attack: 1d20+14+1-5 = 11 MISS!

Second attack: 1d20+14+1-5 = 29 Threat! Homi activates.
Damage: 1d6 = 6, reduced to 4
Kirika’s Fort Save vs DC 15: 1d20+7+4 = 27 SUCCESS!

Kirika is pushed five feet back, is stunned and cannot take any actions until next round.

Third attack: 1d20+14+1-5 = 18 MISS!

Fourth attack: 1d20+14+1-5 = 14 MISS!)

Hiro Homi comes back at Kirika with a dazzling flurry of blows. Though she manages to get almost all of them, the one that does break through hits exactly where it shouldn’t. A spike of pain runs through her body, and Kirika realizes that, for the moment, she can’t move. That isn’t good.

(Because Homi missed an attack, he becomes flat-footed. But Kirika can’t act due to stunnedness, so we go right to:

ROUND 4

Homi uses Two-Weapon Fighting, accepting a -2 to all attacks and skill checks. He uses a half action to Threaten Kirika.

Homi’s Intimidate: 1d20+17+4+5-2 = 26
Kirika’s Resolve: 1d20+4 = 22
Stress damage: 1d6 = 1
Kirika’s Will save vs DC 11: 1d20+7 = 13 SUCCESS

He uses his second half action to make two attacks.

First attack: 1d20+14+1-2 = 27 HIT!
Damage: 1d6 = 2 Reduced to zero.

Second attack: 1d20+14+1-2 = 16 MISS!)

Hiro Homi’s darting attacks keep coming, but Kirika is starting to see the pattern, or so she thinks. The first blow lands right against the padding off her armor, while her muscles unclench just in time to duck under the second.

(Kirika attacks twice, using Relentless Attack to push up her chance to hit after misses.

First attack: 1d20+12+2 = 24 Hit!
Hiro Homi attempts to Parry...this is not a recording: 2d20.hi+8 = 10 FAILWHALE
Damage: 2d10.hi+7 = 9
Homi’s Fort Save vs DC 23: 1d20+6 = 8 NOOOOOOPE.

Homi is now Fatigued II.

Second attack: 1d20+12 = 18 MISS)

Kirika’s counterattack is swift and clocks Homi right in the ribs again, speeding his already strained breathing. Her follow-up slides off Homi’s right tonfa, though.

(ROUND 5!

Hiro Homi tries to anticipate Kirika.

Hiro Homi’s Sense Motive vs DC 16: 1d20+17+5 = 34 SUCCESS! Hiro Homi gains his Wisdom mod as a bonus to Defense for one round.

Hiro Homi then foregoes more tonfa-swingin’ in favor of an unarmed attack.

Homi’s attack: 1d20+14+5 = 21 HIT!
Damage: 1d4+4+5 = 13, reduced to 11
Kirika’s Fort Save vs. DC 21: 1d20+7+4 = 28 SUCCESS!)

Hiro Homi’s relentless barrage of tonfa blows abates for a moment as he reads Kirika’s stance, reevaluating her speed and the angles of her likely attacks in light of the so-far quite painful experience. Just when Kirika thinks he’s hesitating, however, he plants a lightning-quick kick against her chest. It smarts pretty good, but she powers through.

(Kirika attacks again - it’s worked so far.

First attack, with Relentless Attack trick: 1d20+12+2 = 20 MISS!

Second attack, with Relentless Attack trick: 1d20+12+2 = 26 MISS!)

Now, it’s Kirika’s turn to drive the old man back, and she cleaves at him with two mighty swings - but neither connects. Godsdammit, when did that tired old man get so fast?

(ROUND 6!

Hiro Homi uses Two-Weapon Style and accepts -5 penalty to attacks for this round. Will his gamble pay off?

First attack: 1d20+14-5 = 27 HIT
Damage: 1d6 = 2 reduced to 0

Second attack: 1d20+14-5 = 27 HIT
Damage: 1d6 = 4 reduced to 2
Kirika’s Fort Save vs. DC 22: 1d20+7+4 = 25 SUCCESS

Third attack: 1d20+14-5 = 11 MISS

Fourth attack: 1d20+14-5 = 14 MISS

Kirika returns the favor...

First attack: 1d20+12+2 = 19 MISS

Second attack: 1d20+12+2 = 23 HIT!
Damage: 2d10.hi+7 = 12
Hiro Homi’s Fort save vs DC 16: 1d20+6 = 12 FAIL

Hiro Homi is Fatigued III...and wisely decides not to push it any further.)

Homi throws all he’s got left into a swift barrage of tonfa blows, but the hits don’t make up for the misses - he’s clearly slowed down and in pain. He barely dodges Kirika’s first strike but gets smacked about on the return swing. The old ninja stumbles backwards for a half-step before taking a knee and putting his tonfa against the ground to steady himself.

“Enough,” he says. “I yield to your superior skill, Kamura-san.”
Kirika wants to jump up and down, clap her hands and laugh, but all she lets out is a brief smile before she gets herself back under control and offers Homi her hand. “I thank you for the challenge, Homi-san.”
Homi nods and takes her hand as he gets back on his feet. “I heard you had taken up your father’s teachings, but I did not expect this level of...ferocity,” he says. “I underestimated you. Still, I would like to see how your friends do for themselves.”
“Still, it was an honor to spar with you.” Kirika bows, and then does something surprising - she moves in and embraces the Shadowguard. “Toshi told me about the Emperor - and I want to help,” she whispers as her lips are covered by his hat.
“A dangerous path, but a worthy one,” Homi whispers back. “Meet me later.”

Kirika releases and promptly walks back to Yukio’s side, finally breaking into a big smile as she approaches her love. Yukio waits until Kirika is only a few steps away before she breaks her stoicness, rushes up to her and traps her in a bearhug, lifting her up and spinning her around.

“You did it!” Yukio squeals. “You were brilliant!”
Kirika laughs - Gods it feels good to laugh - and embraces Yukio right back, and adds a long kiss for good measure. “Thanks in no small part to you, love,” she says as the sparring mat is prepared for the next fight behind them. “I felt you with me in every heartbeat.”
“What was it like?” Yukio asks. “I mean, I kind of...I thought about asking him, but...I don’t know.”
“It was tough, but...” Kirika doesn’t know what to say. “I guess I just got lucky.”
“Your father would be so proud of you,” Yukio says. “I know I am.”
Kirika gasps at the mention of her father from Yukio’s lips, and tears start to pour as her breathing becomes labored. “Do you think - are you really - I - I...” She simply lays her head against Yukio’s chest and turns away from the rest of the group.
“Yes,” Yukio whispers. “Yes, I am, my dearest.” She strokes Kirika’s back with her right hand while grasping both of Kirika’s hands in her left.
Kirika sucks in a stuttering breath, and lets it out again, feeling more under control of her emotions. She works her right hand loose and inside the back of Yukio’s kimono, rubbing the small of her back. “I love you,” she whispers. “I’d be nothing without you.”
“But we are everything together,” Yukio whispers back.
Kirika nods, and pulls back to see Yukio's brown eyes soft and shimmering with a thin film of wetness, framed by her smiling face. “Yes we are,” Kirika says. She leans forward against Yukio and stands up on her tiptoes to kiss Yukio once again. “I might have to get a tattoo of my own,” she whispers with a smile on her magically-marked face.
“I will help you find a suitable location later,” Yukio whispers back, then leans down for a long and utterly immodest kiss.
Gatac 2013-03-24 12:53:18
The next ninja to step up to the mat frankly doesn’t look much like one. He wears a gray kimono on top of his suit, and a wide-brimmed hat with a notch near the front on top of his head. As he tilts it up, a grin appears above his scraggly black chinbeard, but his eyes remain out of sight. He seems to look at Toshiba before bowing his head.

“Blue Oni?” he asks.

“None other,” Toshiba replies, and the irony of what he just said twists the determined line of his mouth into a sardonic grin - perhaps even more fitting, now that he thinks about it. “Should I know you, brigand, or were you some forgotten Tuesday’s diversion?”

“You knew my brother,” the ninja says. “But he was not worthy. Truth be told, I’m not sure I am. But I’ve been looking forward to this. It’s not personal, you understand. I just need to know how good you are. May I give you a present first?”

“Only if you are not offended that I did not think to get you anything in return,” Toshiba bows his head slightly. “I pray thee, continue.”

The ninja nods his head. He sets down a large bag slung over his shoulder, then - slowly - reaches underneath his kimono and produces a small metal item, shaped like a box with a row of holes in the front and the back. Then, he cups it in his hands and puts it to his mouth - it appears to be some sort of flute! With a blow, he plays a short melody.

“They say he came into this world from someplace beyond luck,” the ninja begins.
“That his mother was an ice-cold wind, and his pa a fiery rock.
They say that on some starless nights, his eyes would spark and glow.
And some who say they saw him coming swear they didn’t see him go.”

He blows again into the small flute, continuing the melody.

“Now you hear a lot of legends told when you ride the cold hard slab
Of some who say the man is good - and some who say he’s bad.
But all agree who ever tried to play a cheatin’ hand” - the ninja looks up, and his eyes glint as he stares at Toshiba -
“You only get one chance to draw against the demon man.”

He bows his head again.

“They call me Sidewinder,” the ninja says. “Whatever happens, Oni...may it be worthy.”

“That is a good name,” Toshiba relents. “A fast name,” he adds with a knowing smile.

(Initiative!

Toshiba: 2d20.hi+16 = 28
Sidewinder: 1d20+12 = 15

Toshiba shows no intent to go easy on the ninja. For his opening trick, he hurls some knives at Sidewinder, using his Blade Flurry trick.

Toshiba’s Attack: 1d20+8-2 = 17 + Action Die: 1d6.open = 5 = 22 HIT!
Toshiba’s Damage: 1d4+1 = 5 + 3 dice of Sneak Attack: 3d6 = 12 = 17 points of damage, OUCH!

Toshiba then uses his superior flight speed to close the distance and get next to Sidewinder.

Sidewinder uses his Snake Strike feat to draw one of his gonnes and attempts a free Feint...

Sidewinder’s Prestidigitation: 1d20+16 = 28
Toshiba’s Notice: 1d20+15 = 33 SUCCESS!

With Toshiba not falling for that, Sidewinder’s shot goes as normal. But he’s packing a little payback into it by using his Damned If You Do trick.

Sidewinder’s Attack: [url=]1d20+12 = 17[/url] FAIL

Undeterred, Sidewinder uses Quick Draw to draw another gonne and Damned If You Do-s that shot, too.

Sidewinder’s Attack: 1d20+12 = 29 THAT’S MORE LIKE IT
Arrogant bastard that he is, Sidewinder doesn’t activate the threat. He’ll beat the Oni fair and square!
Sidewinder’s Damage: 3d6+2 = 10)

The two quickdraw artists face each other, but Toshiba’s twitch is a little bit faster. A throwing knife flicked from a hidden sheath up his armor’s sleeve sails straight for Sidewinder’s throat; the ninja’s eyes widen in surprise and shock for a moment before he ducks out of the way, but that was way too close for comfort. Toshiba digs his heels into the edge of the mat, and suddenly, the demon’s boots roar to life, throwing him clear across the mat with a wispy trail of blue fire! Sidewinder rises from his dodge, still feigning inaction, but Toshiba sees the gonne he’s drawn and intends to stick into Toshiba’s side armor. Seen that before...used that before, the experienced ninja woodsman thinks, and easily turns the Shadowwatch ninja’s shot sour with a shove of his hand. Sidewinder’s other hand also comes up with a gonne, however, and that proves a little harder to dodge, leaving a powder burn on Toshiba’s arm as he brushes the gonne aside.

(ROUND 2!

Toshiba goes for slashings and stabbings with his proper dagger, attacking Sidewinder with the Blade Flurry trick.

Toshiba’s Attack: [url=]1d20+8 = 11[/url] MISS!

Undeterred, Toshiba tries his luck again:

Toshiba’s Attack: 1d20+8 = 27 + Action Die: 1d6.open = 11 EPIC WIN
Toshiba’s Damage: 3d6+3 = 16
Sidewinder’s Fort save: 1d20+5 = 18 SUCCESS!

Sidewinder unspools a new chapter of his tricks. For his first half action, he tries to Feint Toshiba again.

Sidewinder’s Prestidigitation: 1d20+16 = 24
Toshiba’s Notice: 1d20+15 = 27 SUCCESS!

With that not working out so well, Sidewinder tries to tumble past Toshiba to disengage.

Sidewinder’s Acrobatics: 1d20+16 = 20 FAIL

Sidewinder becomes flat-footed - but rather than take his beating like a man, he uses his Surge of Speed feat to take another half action, trying to Tumble past Toshiba again.

Sidewinder’s Acrobatics: 1d20+16 = 22 FAIL

Sidewinder becomes flat-footed.)

Toshiba lashes at Sidewinder, but his first strikes come too sloppily - or is it just a setup for his second, much more devastating attack? Sidewinder sustains some genuine cuts and slashes as he desperately attempts to not get a knife through his belly, though the wounds remain superficial. Knowing that he’s done for if he can’t gain some distance, Sidewinder tries to zig and zag and finally zig again, but Toshiba’s burly frame seems to be everywhere he turns, and finally Sidewinder’s attempts to break free have just placed him at the Blue Oni’s mercy again.

(ROUND 3!

Knowing a winning strategy when he sees one, Toshiba goes for another Blade Flurry, this time backed up by Sneak Attack dice!

Toshiba’s Attack: 1d20+8 = 25 HIT!
Toshiba’s Damage: [url=]2d6+2+3d6 = 17[/url] OUCH
Sidewinder’s Fortitude save: 1d20+5 = 19 SUCCESS!

Toshiba uses Knife Mastery for a free Feint at -4...

Toshiba’s Feint: 1d20+4-4 = 7
Sidewinder’s Notice: 1d20+1 = 4 FAIL

In this epic duel of the lame versus the blind, Sidewinder loses out yet again and becomes flat-footed.

And shortly thereafter, he gets another Blade Flurry for his troubles.

Toshiba’s Attack: 1d20+8 = 10 FAIL

Sidewinder decides that further tumbling attempts are ill-advised and instead takes the Run action to move away from Toshiba. But since he has Mobility Basics, he can do more than run in a straight line. Sidewinder uses his total of 200 feet of possible movement - yes, 50 feet base speed, suck it slow people! - to literally run a circle around Toshiba and head to the edge of the mat, where his gear pack is lying. He drops his two spent gonnes and then uses Quick Draw to snatch up two fresh ones from his pack as a free action, ending his move 40 feet away from Toshiba ready for the next rumble.)

Toshiba corners the Shadowwatch ninja easily, adding more stabs that are only barely dodged - and with a quick shove, he unbalances Sidewinder enough to try to add some more hurting, but his exuberant swings go wide as the ninja proves more agile than anticipated. Sidewinder scrambles and runs away - then kicks off a post for a turn - then another - then he runs clear across the mat, well out of Toshiba’s reach. By the time the Ayami ninja has turned, Sidewinder is already sliding to a stop next to his gear bag. He kicks it open with his slide, revealing at least a dozen gonnes. Sidewinder snatches up two fresh ones and raises them to aim at Toshiba, as if to say - your move, pardner.

(ROUND 4!

Toshiba uses his superior flight speed again to move next to Sidewinder - then uses his second half action to pick up and sling Sidewinder’s bag of gonnes!

Sidewinder is not happy. Really, really not happy. He readies his last shot of Damned If You Do...

Sidewinder’s Attack: 1d20+12 = 23 HIT!
Sidewinder’s Damage: [url=]3d6+2 = 13[/url]

...and then attempts to Disarm Toshiba’s dagger.

Sidewinder’s Attack +4 for the bigger weapon: 1d20+12+4 = 32
Toshiba’s Attack: 1d20+8 = 17 LOSE)

Toshiba rockets across the mat, snatching up Sidewinder’s gear bag to prevent the nimble ninja from rearming. But turnabout is fair play: Sidewinder’s first shot makes Toshiba duck, while his second grazes his dagger, shooting it out of his hand! The blade clatters to the ground behind Toshiba.

(ROUND 5!

Toshiba uses a half action to retrieve his dagger, then attacks Sidewinder with a throwing knife.

Toshiba’s Attack: 1d20+8 = 22 HIT!
Toshiba’s Damage: 1d4+1 = 3

Sidewinder closes the distance and tries to grapple Toshiba!

Sidewinder’s Athletics: [url=]1d20 = 14[/url] boosted to 25 by Tomb Raider
Toshiba’s Athletics: 1d20+10 = 23 + Action Die: [url=]1d6.open = 5[/url] SUCCESS!

Sidewinder becomes flat-footed.)

The Oni nods appreciatively at the ironic shot, then stalks over to retrieve his dagger. “Hardly fair for me to leave you with two empty gonnes. Here!” and Toshiba flings one of his several (where does he keep them?) blades at Sidewinder with a flourish before returning to his careful approach. Sidewinder ducks under the blade and tries to grab for Toshiba in an effort to regain his bag of gonnes, but a quick backhand sorts that out, and Sidewinder stumbles back dazed and confused.

Toshiba doesn’t press the advantage - instead, his dagger disappears in an eyeblink and he tosses the bag over to Sidewinder.

“Save the rest of your powder for our true foes,” he says.
Sidewinder catches the bag, then sets it down - but instead of bowing, he raises his right hand to the brim of his hat and tips it forward. “You’re every bit the demon man,” he says. “T’was fair you beat my brother, and I see no shame in losing to you now.” He turns to Hiro Homi standing on the sidelines. “What do you think, Master?”
Homi nods. “You were well-matched,” he says, “but the Oni made his own luck while you squandered your chances. Also take heed that you could not shake him with all your speed; I have often cautioned you not to rely on it too much. I hope today’s lessons will sharpen your edge, Sidewinder.”
“Yes, Master,” Sidewinder replies, then retreats off the mat.
Gatac 2013-03-24 12:55:08
“For the next fight,” Hiro Homi announces, “one of your number wishes to face Copperhead. Copperhead, if you would please show yourself...”

For a few seconds, nothing happens, though you hear a faint rustling sound moving over the sparring mattress. Then, as if from nowhere, a flash of lightning fills the room, finally fading to reveal a man in gleaming copper armor, with a large metal-reinforced hat. Little sparks of mini-lighting play over his armor. With a quick move, he tugs on a metal chain slung across his chest like a bandoleer, freeing it and whipping it past his side a few times for effect. With the theatralic entrance concluded, his eyes sweep the crowd around the mat, seeking out his opponent.

(Copperhead’s Notice versus Kagemaru’s Ambush check of 32: 1d20+12 = 25 FAIL

Kagemaru uses his free action to attempt a grapple, using his Deft Grab trick.

Kagemaru’s Athletics: 1d20+16 = 32
Copperhead’s Athletics: 1d20+14 = 16 FAIL

Copperhead is now held.)

What Copperhead doesn’t do is look upwards - his hat would get in the way, anyway. Kagemaru drops down from his hiding place behind him without a sound, eliciting a gasp from the audience. Before Copperhead can turn, however, he sees the fine wire of Kagemaru’s garotte flicker through this field of view - then the wire is pulled taut, and Copperhead starts this battle very much on the defensive.

(Initiative!

Kagemaru: 1d20+12 = 31
Copperhead: 1d20+6 = 14

ROUND 1!

Kagemaru goes first and makes his grapple check:

Kagemaru: 1d20+16 = 32
Copperhead: 1d20+14 = 26 LOSE

Kagemaru takes the opportunity to loosen Copperhead’s armor, reducing its effective damage reduction to 2.

Copperhead must also attempt a grapple check to free himself:

Copperhead: 1d20+14 = 27 + Action Die: 1d8 = 2
Kagemaru: 1d20+16 = 31 WIN

Kagemaru disarms Copperhead’s barwhip.)

Copperhead struggles mightily to dislodge Kagemaru, but the lithe ninja proves to be a persistent threat to Copperhead’s trachea. In the struggle, Kagemaru frees a hand to work the buckles of Copperhead’s heavy armor, setting the Shadowwatch ninja up for further pain, while also grabbing Copperhead’s right hand. Kagemaru’s fingers shimmer as their shadow-force stabs into Copperhead’s skin with a feeling like a thousand needles, and with a pained yelp, he drops the chain to the ground as he keeps trying to toss Kagemaru off.

(ROUND 2!

Grapple check!

Kagemaru: 1d20+16 = 17
Copperhead: 1d20+14 = 23 SWEET FREEDOM

Copperhead finally breaks free, but he’s lost his weapon (and a fair bit of his pride) to Kagemaru’s wily ways. With the ninja in between him and his primary weapon, Copperhead decides to unleash a little pain of his own, first attacking Kagemaru with an unarmed attack:

Copperhead’s attack: 1d20+10 = 15 MISS

With that not working out, Copperhead finally gets to break out the magic - erm, sorry, ancient ninja techniques. Searing Ray!

Copperhead’s Spellcasting check: 1d20+19 = 38 CRIT! Copperhead chooses to regain the Spellpoint cost.
Searing Ray Damage: 4d8 = 13)

Kagemaru’s just about to toss the struggling Shadowwatch ninja when Copperhead finally manages to swing the right way, dislodging Kagemaru and taking a merciful breath as the garotte spools back into Kagemaru’s shadow-skin. Copperhead’s follow-up kick goes wide, but allows him to set off a pouch of intense flash-powder affixed to his gauntlet. Kagemaru closes his eyes just in time, but he can feel the searing light wash over his shadow-skin - and the shadow-skin doesn’t like it one bit, tightening its grip on the ninja’s body.

(ROUND 3!

Kagemaru attempts to feint Copperhead...

Kagemaru’s Prestidigitation: 1d20+16 = 35
Copperhead’s Notice: 1d20+12 = 28 NICE TRY

With Copperhead flatfooted, Kagemaru attacks!

Kagemaru’s Attack: 1d20+13 = 25 HIT!
Kagemaru’s Damage: 1d6+5+2d6 = 12, reduced to 10 by Copperhead’s armor.

Copperhead tries to Bullrush Kagemaru, figuring that if he forces the ninja back, he can get his chain.

Copperhead’s Athletics: 1d20+14 = 18
Kagemaru’s Athletics: 1d20+12 = 24 SCHOOLED

Copperhead’s Bullrush fails, leaving him sprawled.)

Kagemaru flicks the feared garotte at Copperhead’s face, unbalancing the Shadowwatch ninja just enough that Kagemaru’s actual kick to his side finds it’s target with painful force. Copperhead quickly grabs Kagemaru’s leg, trying to trap it and rush the ninja back, but Kagemaru’s not that easy to unbalance: he kicks his other leg up, falls backward and scissors Copperhead between his legs, throwing the Shadowwatch mage to the ground even as Kagemaru himself rolls back to his feet.

(ROUND 4!

Kagemaru attacks Copperhead, figuring that he might as well kick him while he’s down.

Kagemaru’s Attack: 1d20+13 = 31 HIT!
Kagemaru’s Damage: 1d6+5+2d6 = 21

To neuter Copperhead’s retribution, Kagemaru attempts a Cheap Shot targeting Copperhead’s intelligence:

Kagemaru’s Attack: 1d20+13-4 = 14 + Action Die: 1d6.open = 5 HIT!

Copperhead suffers a -2 penalty to all Int-based attack and skill checks.

Copperhead repositions to get back on his feet, then attempts to threaten Kagemaru.

Copperhead’s Intimidate: 1d20+12 = 27
Kagemaru’s Resolve: 1d20 = 14 WEAK-KNEED!

Kagemaru suffers 1d6 stress damage:

Copperhead’s Stress Damage: 1d6 = 4
Kagemaru’s Will save vs DC 16 (10 base, +2 from stress damage total, +4 Copperhead character option): 1d20+7 = 20 FEARLESS!)

With Copperhead on the ground before him, Kagemaru flips forward into the air, slamming his heel into Copperhead’s exposed guts. That hit smarts, but it’s the follow-up that really hurts: Kagemaru flips and rams his other foot against Copperhead’s face, ringing the Shadowwatch ninja’s bells thoroughly. When he gets back to his feet, his head swims, blood runs from his nose and he’s seeing double. Well, Copperhead’s not happy about this development: he growls and holds his hands close to one another, letting sparks fly between them. It’s an impressive display of pyrotechnics, but Kagemaru remains focused even if the thought of getting hit by that is a little disconcerting.

“Enough!” Hiro Homi calls from the sidelines. “Copperhead, collect your gear.” He turns to Kagemaru. “You fight well, young ninja, but your mercy cripples you. If you had focused on strangling him earlier, you would have defeated him without a fight. Why did you give him the chance to free himself?”

“It has nothing to do with mercy. I just wanted to see what he can do,” Kagemaru answers as he comes out of his fighting stance.

Hiro Homi smiles. “So, was that because you did not take this for a real fight, or are you always this arrogant?”

Kagemaru thinks for a moment and then answers “I won’t lie. That it was a show fight had to do with it. But I was curious to pick up those incomprehensible tricks of his.”

Hiro Homi nods. “Wise. I see from your suit that you have had some success adopting the tricks and tools of your former enemies. I must admit, I did not notice you at all until you revealed yourself. Perhaps, in better times, you would have been chosen to become one of my agents. As it is, I am well satisfied with your prowess. We will need one as slippery as you to breach Ikishi’s defenses.”

“I appreciate your kind words,” Kagemaru says with a bow to Homi. Afterwards he bows to Copperhead and leaves the mattress a bit more uneventful than he entered it.
Gatac 2013-04-01 11:27:06
“Finally,” Hiro Homi announces, “three of you wish to fight my Blades...all of them.” He looks to the three shinobi assembling on the mat: Takao weighing his sword in his hands, Mizu still sheathed for worthier foes; Kiara, whirling the Dragon’s Will and seemingly unable to get the small grin off her face; and finally Khudalch Ir, her dour expression hidden behind her metal mask. On the opposite end of the mat? Two dozen Shadowwatch Blades, deadly and eager to earn a name in battle.

And then, as they say, it is on.

(In lieu of rolling for 24 fucking ninjas every round, you will each be targeted by a single attack, with a damage bonus equal to by how much you’re currently outnumbered. You will also all be considered flanked until you whittle down the Blades to a more manageable number. With that in mind, here’s Initiative!

Kiara: 1d20+14 = 20
Takao: 2d20.hi+5 = 16
Blades: 1d20+7 = 13
Khudalch Ir: 1d20+5 = 10

ROUND 1!

Due to being outnumbered a whopping 8 to 1, Kiara’s I Stand Alone ability immediately redlines, providing a whopping +5 to her Defense and Attack for the time being. But for her opener, she’s got something more spectacular in mind than just slashing at stuff. Behold: breath weapon!

Breath Weapon Attack: 1d20+11+5 = 26, hitting four of the Blades.
Breath Weapon Damage: 2d6+3 = 7
Reflex saves for half, DC 14: 1d20+8 = 101d20+8 = 231d20+8 = 211d20+8 = 9
Damage saves, two vs DC 13, two vs DC 11: 1d20+7 = 151d20+7 = 151d20+7 = 241d20+7 = 12 BEGINNER’S LUCK

So none of the ninjas are taken out immediately - but how do they feel about being set on fire? Time for Will saves - and with Kirika in the audience, everyone takes a -3 penalty to those. Let’s watch the fireworks!

Will saves, two vs DC 7, two vs DC 3: 1d20+5-3 = 161d20+5-3 = 61d20+5-3 = 191d20+5-3 = 13

Three ninjas don’t much give a shit about the pyrotechnics, but one does - and he runs off the mat to put himself out. With that, the “outnumbered” bonus drops to +7. Let’s see how low it can go, eh?

Not quite content with that, Kiara uses her Contempt feat to make another standard attack with her sword against one of the ninjas currently on fire:

Kiara’s Attack: 1d20+10+5 = 26
Kiara’s Damage: 2d8+4 = 16
Damage save vs 21: 1d20+7 = 19 SCHOOL’D!

And that’s the two on-fire-iest ninjas down.

Takao assumes his Martial Spirit Stance, then uses his Think Ahead trick, aiming for a repeat performance of the battle on the Gungnir. He also tackles himself some flaming ninjas.

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+23 = 39 YOWCH - wait, forgot the +1 from Martial Spirit. Even 40.
Takao’s Damage: 1d10+5+3+10 = 22
Damage save vs DC 23: 1d20+7 = 12 FAIL

Takao cleaves...

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+23+1 = 25
Takao’s Damage: 1d10+5+3+2 = 15
Damage save vs DC 19: 1d20+7 = 13 FAIL

That takes care of the flaming ninjas. Takao cleaves again...

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+23+1 = 27
Takao’s Damage: 1d10+5+3+3 = 19
Damage save vs DC 19: 1d20+7 = 11

Holy hell. Takao cleaves again.

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+23+1 = 33
Takao’s Damage: 1d10+5+3+6 = 20
Damage save vs DC 20: 1d20+7 = 26

And that’s where the pain train stops. The Blades are down to 19 ninjas, leaving them at a +6 bonus to damage. They’re also rolling with a +4 to attack due to flanking and a die of Sneak Attack, thanks to their Wolfpack Mastery feat.

Blade Attack: 1d20+7+4 = 19 misses Kiara, but hits Takao and would have hit Khuda, if not for her +1 to Defense against adjacent opponents.
Blade Damage: 1d8+1d6+6 = 11, of which Takao takes 4.

Khuda uses Two-Weapon Fighting to make three attacks with her blades at a -2 penalty.

Khuda’s Attack: 1d20+11-2 = 13 MISS
1d20+11-2 = 14 MISS
1d20+11-2 = 15 MISS

Well, shit. Khuda spends an action die to make an attack as a free action.

1d20+11 = 24 FINALLY
Khuda’s Damage: 1d8+3 = 9
Damage save vs DC 24: 1d20+7 = 13 FAIL

And that’s six of the ninjas down, then.)

The grin on Kiara’s face grows wide. So many enemies...so many opportunities! Clutching Dragon’s Will tight in her hands, she feels the fury of the dragon well up inside her, until her jaw locks open and the fire inside spews out like a column in front of her! The flames singe a handful of ninjas - one actually catches fire and runs screaming off the mat, rolling on the floor and taking him out of the fight. Weakling! Another runs at Kiara, and she clocks him with the pommel of her blade, knocking him off the mat, too.

Takao does not care about such flamboyance, as he is busy planning his route through the mass of shinobi ahead of him. Forward step. Ninja to the left, will attack high. Duck and counter with blow to midsection. Turn and sweep with a low cut. Two ninjas dodge, one raked across leg, out of the fight. Dart at dodging ninja, mark his midsection. Other ninja will see an opening on my side. Catch his attack with my left arm and hyperextend his elbow. He steps into the path of a ninja who charges him, dodging under his sloppy attack and giving him an elbow to the ribs for his troubles. Crouched down low, he sweeps his sword through the crowd, tripping one of the ninjas with a painful cut to his leg. Another ninja barely escapes the sweeping strike, so Takao leans into it, giving him a shallow stab that he’s not fast enough to dodge. That leaves him open to the last ninja on his to-do list, who comes in from the side - and dodges Takao’s counter, delivering a slash that mostly glances off Takao’s armor. The swordsmaster twirls and slaps the ninja with the flat of his blade across the face, tumbling him across the crowded mat.

Khuda doesn’t have a plan. She just wades into the mass and starts cuttin’ shit. Her wild, whirling strikes demand room, but the ninjas are quicker than her usual clientele and deftly avoid her lunges. However, in the center of the storm, she spots a ninja getting swatted her way by Takao. Never one to let a golden opportunity for cheap shots pass her by, Khuda reverses one of her blades and stabs down. A cry of pain is her reward for a job well done. That part of the leg heals quickly anyway.

(ROUND 2!

Kiara enters the Overpowering Force stance, intent on making sure Dragon’s Will bites as hard as it can. She then uses her Deft Strike trick from here on to make attacks using Dex.

Kiara’s Attack: 1d20+12+5 = 32
Kiara’s Damage: Due to her stance, Kiara inflicts maximum damage. 20.
Damage save vs DC 20: 1d20+7 = 25

Not satisfied with that, Kiara uses Contempt to make another attack.

Kiara’s Attack: 1d20+12+5 = 22
Damage is 20, again.
Damage save vs DC 30: 1d20+7 = 26 YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK. GOODBYE!

Takao - well, he takaos. Let’s see how that works out. Probably not so good for the ninjas. Takao has two uses of Think Ahead left, and there’s no sense holding them back.

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+23+1 = 29
Takao’s Damage: 1d10+5+3+4 = 19
Damage save vs DC 19: 1d20+7 = 26

What is this? Is there no pain train this round? What will become of our brave heroes?

Oh, wait. Takao can just try this again with his second half action. Takao leaves the badly wounded ninja for someone else to finish off and tries his luck with a less hardy-looking specimen. Brace yourselves!

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+23+1 = 39 WOAH, DUDE
Takao’s Damage: 1d10+5+3+9 = 25
Damage save vs DC 22: 1d20+7 = 14 FAIL

Takao cleaves.

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+12 = 32 CRIT!
That ninja is OUT.

Takao cleaves some more...

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+12 = 32 You have got to be shitting me, CRIT!

Another one bites the dust.

Takao cleaves like he ain’t never cleft before...

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+12 = 31 I am not afraid of God, but I am afraid of Takao. CRIT!

That’s another ninja gone.

The pain train keeps rolling...and Takao goes back to his formerly rampage-resistant ninja friend.

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+12 = 20 Oh thank Jesus...but it still hits.
Takao’s Damage: 1d10+5+3 = 9
Damage Save vs DC 27: 1d20+7 = 12 NO U

How much longer until Takao hits a Monsterkill?

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+7 = 12 MISS and dear God are my dice happy that’s the end of it.

So, coming off of Takao’s murder streak, who’s left? *counts* Another six ninjas down, so now their Outnumber bonus falls to +4 - and so does Kiara’s I Stand Alone.

Blade attacks: 1d20+7+4 = 18 And that just hits Takao.
Blade damage: 1d8+1d6+4 = 12 reduced to 5 by Takao’s armor.

Khuda needs to hurry up if she still wants to take out something. Two standard attacks will do.

Khuda’s Attack: 1d20+11 = 26
Khuda’s Damage: 1d8+3 = 5
Damage save vs DC 12: 1d20+7 = 26

And again...

Khuda’s Attack: 1d20+11 = 21
Khuda’s Damage: 1d8+3 = 7
Damage save vs DC 16: 1d20+7 = 17 OH COME ON

*action die*...and again...

Khuda’s Attack: 1d20+11 = 29
Damage save vs DC 19: 1d20+7 = 22 TOUGH MOFO)

Kiara picks out one of the ninjas in front of her, swings her greatsword around and just hauls it down onto him with all the force she can muster. The ninja, however, is canny, and catches the blade between his hands! Well, as it turns out, he really caught it in the climbing claws strapped to his palms, and the force of the impact pushes him down to his knees. The insolence! Kiara pulls her sword free and kicks him in the chest. As she raises Dragon’s Will again, the ninja wisely scampers off the mat.

Takao - we’re not sure what Takao does. He’s not sure. All he knows is that at the end of it, he’s on the other side of the mat and five fucking ninjas are strewn to the side of his devastating path, moaning and holding their wounds. Truly, the man is a demon with the blade.

Khudalch Ir’s eye falls on the biggest ninja in the ground and with an obvious mischievous twinkle in her eyes, she sets to cutting him down. Metal clangs against metal, again and again, but the ninja’s not just big, he’s fast, too - by the end of their mini-duel, he’s panting for air, but still on his feet. Khuda frowns. She’ll have to kick his ass harder.

(ROUND 3!

Kiara attacks again. It’s not like hacking things to pieces with a greatsword ever gets old.

Kiara’s Attack: 1d20+12+4 = 29
Damage is 20, as per her stance.
Damage save vs DC 20: 1d20+7 = 14 FAIL

11 ninjas left, Outnumber bonus goes to +3. And again.

Kiara’s Attack: 1d20+12+3 = 16 CRIT FAIL!

Kiara’s sword hits a pillar and embeds itself. That’s not coming out again for the duration of the fight.

Not able to draw her smaller blade with no half action left, Kiara goes to unarmed attack. Now with extra contempt!

Kiara’s Attack: 1d20+9+3 = 30
Kiara’s Damage: 1d4+3 = 7
Damage save vs DC 13: 1d20+7 = 24

Choo-choooo! All aboard the pain train!

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+12 = 19 MISS

Uh...I said, all aboard the pain train!

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+12 = 21
Takao’s Damage: 1d10+5+3 = 15
Damage save vs DC 17: 1d20+7 = 8 YOU ARE A FOUNTAIN OF SADNESS

Takao cleaves! And this is where I realize Takao actually still has three uses of Think Ahead left, so let’s throw down!

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+23+1 = 33
Takao’s Damage: 1d10+5+3+6 = 17
Damage save vs DC 18: 1d20+7 = 19 TOUGH ENOUGH!

So, that’s ten ninjas left, then. Can Khuda bring our killstreak back on target? But first, the counterattack:

Blades attack: 1d20+7+4 = 23 And that finally hits everyone.
Blades damage: 1d8+1d6+3 = 12 Takao suffers 5, Kiara takes full damage, Khuda takes 8.

Khuda attacks!

Khuda’s Attack: 1d20+11 = 19 MISS

Again!

Khuda’s Attack: 1d20+11 = 17 MISS

*action die* Again!

Khuda’s Attack: 1d20+11 = 31 HAH! There’s a crit, baby.

Khuda’s oddly tanky ninja goes way the hell down, leaving the final tally at nine ninjas.)

Kiara heaves her sword above her head again and swings it like a bat, straight batting a ninja out of the way and off the mat. Using the rotation, she swings for the next one edge on, forgetting herself a little - and her surroundings. The wild swing hits a wooden pillar full force, embedding Dragon’s Will deeply into the pillar. The wincing from Aotaka Matsumoto is almost audible. While Kiara labors to free her blade, another ninja thinks to sneak up on her and rakes his across the back - Kiara kicks him to gain some room, but he stays on his feet.

Takao hacks at the ninjas that swarm him, but his wilder swings do not have the intended effect - he cuts one down, though, and that gives him an opening at the ninja behind him. Takao strikes true, but the ninja stays upright through concentrated power of will. Or maybe he has congenital insensitivity to pain. It’s hard to tell with ninjas sometimes.

Khuda keeps working her own tougher-than-expected ninja, but he still parries her strikes - and even lands one on her! Khuda, however, is nothing if not resourceful - him stabbing her just places his arm close to her. With a vicious cut, she rakes her blade across his arm, getting a tendon while leaving the major blood vessels intact. The ninja cries out in agony and stumbles off the mat into the waiting arms of Habu, who meets Khuda’s wild grin with a frown. What was that about sparring?

(ROUND 4!

Not able to attack with Dragon’s Will, Kiara decides that it’s time to use her flight speed...unconventionally. Tactical Wing Buffet action!

This triggers a Reflex save from every ninja with a DC of 15. Let’s see how that works out...

1d20+8 = 201d20+8 = 121d20+8 = 271d20+8 = 241d20+8 = 191d20+8 = 151d20+8 = 261d20+8 = 281d20+8 = 15

Welp, seven ninjas are pushed back a little (no effect for this mass battle), but two get pushed back a lot and go sprawled - a ring out, for our purposes. Outnumber bonus shrinks to +2.

Takao thinks ahead...

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+23+1 = 42 CRIT! And Takao is now out of action dice...

Takao cleaves, and this is really honestly his last use of Think Ahead, targeting the already damaged ninja...

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+23+1 = 32
Takao’s Damage: 1d10+5+3+6 = 15
Damage save vs DC 26: 1d20+7 = 21

Only five ninjas left, outnumber bonus down to +1 And cleave!

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+12 = 31
Takao’s Damage: 1d10+5+3+5 = 15
Damage save vs DC 17: 1d20+7 = 25

The ninjas try to take their toll:

Blades attack: 1d20+7+4 = 15 Yeah, no.

And Khuda goes again on her own, going down the only road she’s ever known:

Khuda’s Attack: 1d20+11 = 28
Damage save vs DC 13: 1d20+7 = 15

Khuda’s Attack: 1d20+11 = 26
Damage save vs DC 17: 1d20+7 = 17 JUST SO

*action die*

Khuda’s Attack: 1d20+11 = 18 MISS)

Kiara can’t free her sword - but she can still wield its power. And dragons, well...they have big lungs. Kiara opens her mouth and blasts the entire mat with the dreaded halitosis gale! Most of the ninjas manage to hold their ground despite sliding back, but two lose their footing and fly off the mat.

Takao dances through the stunned ninjas - one gets a beautiful little “T” carved across his chest, splitting his black clothes open - and then smacks the already weakened ninja who vexed him before, putting him down, too. His next strike, however, only finds air as the ninja ducks down underneath it.

Khuda tangles with another ninja on her own time. These guys are proving annoyingly difficult to hit, which means she has to slow down her strikes too much to get her trademark dance going. Annoying! Even more annoying is that the ninja in front of her uses his climbing claws to catch both of her swords - and when she pulls one free and swipes at him, he rolls under it. Nameless though these guys may be, they’re not the untrained thieves and bandits she’s accustomed to fighting.

(ROUND 5!

Kiara draws her ninja-to and attacks!

Kiara’s Attack: 1d20+12+1 = 29
Kiara’s Damage: 1d8+4 = 10
Damage save vs DC 15: 1d20+7 = 13 SHANKED!

Just four ninjas.

Takao attacks!

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+12 = 25
Takao’s Damage: 1d10+5+3+2 = 18
Damage save vs DC 26: 1d20+7 = 9 SUCKERED!

Three left! Cleave...

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+12 = 14 MISS

Takao attacks again...

Takao’s Attack: 1d20+12 = 15 MISS, AGAIN

The few ninjas attack again, no longer benefitting from flanking you...

Blades Attacks: 1d20+7 = 22 Hitting both Khuda and Takao.
Blades Damage: 1d8+1 = 5 Takao soaks it completely, Khuda takes one point of damage.

Is it all down to Khuda now?

Khuda’s Attack: 1d20+11 = 29
Damage save vs DC 20: 1d20+7 = 23

Khuda’s Attack: 1d20+11 = 31 CRIT!

Khuda confirms with her last action die, knocking that ninja out.

...and the last two ninjas decide to concede.

Final tally: Kiara 7, Takao 11, Khuda 4.)

Kiara’s still trying to free Dragon’s Will from the pillar when a ninja tries to jump her from behind. Annoyed at the interruption, she quickdraws her backup blade, ducks under his attack and forces him against the pillar. His sleeve gets pinned to the wood with her dagger, Matsumoto winces again, and the ninja finds that his new position means he’s just an inch or so from having his neck pushed against the edge of Kiara’s sword. He wisely concedes the fight.

Takao’s quickly running out of targets, and the ones who are left are getting wise to his technique. He dashes forward, marking one across the arm, but the one behind him backflips out of the way. Takao feels a strike from another ninja glance off the back of his armor and slices to the back, but the ninja deftly dodges underneath.

Khuda’s ninja - and why does she always get the ones who are too stupid to give up when they’re hit? - blocks her first strike, but her second swings blows right through his defense and tears off his mask, taking a bite out of his ear on the way down. It would have bit into the man’s shoulder, too, had it not been stopped by hitting the metal banding on Hiro Homi’s tonfa - the Shadowguard stands opposite Khudalch Ir, resisting her strike while the wounded ninja slinks away.

“That is enough,” Homi says. “You have proven your valor, all of you.”

With the fights concluded, you assemble to the side of the mat, and Homi turns to address you.

“We have seen all of you put your mettle to the test against my Shadowwatch,” he says. “With some embarrassment, I must admit that you are our equals, if not our betters, when it comes to the art of combat. The fate of the empire is safe within your hands - of that, I am now satisfied. I humbly request that you accept our company and help on your quest. For now - I imagine we all need some rest. A good night to you all. My men and I will remain at your disposal, if you’ve need for discussion or have further questions.”
Gatac 2013-04-05 16:23:03
After the sparring, Takao seeks out Toshi in his room. He approaches with his gaze lowered, finally kneels and bows deeply. “My Emperor,” he begins, “I have pledged my sword and my life into your lady wife’s service, and she has honored me greatly by accepting a humble ronin into her household’s service. And now, as the full extent of the danger has been revealed, my pledge stands stronger than ever. Son of the Heavens, please make your wishes known how your servant may serve you best.”
Takao’s etiquette is awkward. He is no courtier, and his many years away from court did not help.

Toshi’s etiquette is clearly rusted, too, though he does return the bow without too much of a pause.
“Your devotion, uh, honors me, Shinmen-kun,” Toshi says. “I’m no swordsman, so I cannot advise you on a specific technique, but if I may say so, the way you quickly dispatched all those Blades was very impressive. It seems that your sword becomes unstoppable once it starts moving. I think that such skill is rare, and should be honed.” After a pause, he adds “And, uh, please get up. I’m not Emperor yet.”

“My lord..?” Takao sounds a bit confused. “Of course you are. You are the heir to the throne. You do not hold it right now, but we shall endeavor to return you to your rightful place. My blade is yours to command, to direct against your foe.” He remains kneeling, for now.

“Still,” Toshi says, “and I suppose that this is a silly superstition - but I do not feel it is right to call myself Emperor until I am on the throne. It seems...presumptuous, and an invitation to bad luck on our journey.”

Takao bows again. “As you command, my Emp.. my lord.” He rises. “Your praise of my skill honors me. My question was more in regards of purpose of my skills, rather than technique. You would honor me appointing me as yojimbo to you or your lady. Or perhaps you have a different function in mind? I am a warrior, and I can serve to my fullest in battle. I can protect you from harm, or seek out your enemies and destroy them, on the fields of battle or in the back alleys of towns.”

Toshi smirks at that. “I like to think that I do not require your personal attention at every moment, seeing as I prefer to avoid fights - and my Yukio can handle herself. The best defense is a good offense, is it not? And your sword should be in front, not sitting by my side and missing the battle.”

“As you command, my lord,” Takao replies.Toshi could swear he hears a hint of relief in Takao’s voice.

“Oh, and sorry for running away in Kargbeck,” Toshi says. “That was...I should have given you more warning.”

“My lord is gracious to offer an apology to his humble servant,” Takao replies, “but it is not Kargbeck, but your more recent.. sudden disappearance that will stay fresh in my memory.” Takao smirks: “For one who seeks to avoids fights, they seem to find you remarkably often, my lord.”

“I do, don’t I,” Toshi muses. “Maybe, if we find the time, you could instruct me in some basics of swordfighting? My training mostly concerned evasion and trickery, but I’m not so good in a stand-up fight.”

“It would be an honor. If my lord requires nothing else at the moment, I will take my leave.” Takao awaits Toshi’s nod, then bows once more, and leaves the room.
Gatac 2013-04-05 16:24:10
It’s darkest night outside when Yo “Cobra” Kyoken/Homi returns to the land of the conscious via the application of a bucket of cold water. He finds himself dangling by his wrists from chains slung over a wooden post in the gardens, stripped of everything above the waist and flanked on both sides by large torches stuck into the ground for light. In front of him stand Sidewinder, Copperhead and the Shadowguard Hiro Homi himself, with the pitiless eyes of about a dozen Blades behind them. Cobra can’t help but laugh.

“Something funny, Yo?” Homi asks.
“Oh, just enjoying the show you’re putting on, dad,” Cobra says. “Shows, you’ve always been good at. Results - not so much.”
“I don’t have the time for your jokes, Yo,” Homi says. “You will tell me everything you know about Ikishi’s operations and what she knows of mine. We will torture you until we are sure you’ve done that. Then we will kill you.”
“Just like that, dad?” Cobra asks. “‘Hey, son, I’m going to torture and kill you.’ Give me a break! You don’t have what it takes, if you ever did. You’re a joke that’s taken ten years to get to the punchline. And what possible fucking reason do I have to tell you anything? Either you don’t go through with it or I die, telling you anything doesn’t help me in either event - and I’m sure as shit not going to help you.”
“Copperhead,” Homi says.

Before Cobra can offer a snappy response, his body spasms and seizes, swaying from the chains from the uncontrolled thrashing. After roughly ten seconds, Cobra’s body goes slack and he hangs from the chains, trying to both breathe and hack something out at the same time. A trail of blood runs from the side of his mouth and drips down onto his chest.

“That is how it feels to be hit by lightning,” Homi comments. “Or how it would feel, if the lightning strike was so weak that it did not burn you. Still, every muscle in your body just stiffened, every nerve screamed out in pain. And you seem to have bit your tongue, Yo.”
Cobra’s answers comes out sounding a bit like “Flack yew”, together with a new spurt of blood.
“What you need to understand,” Homi says, “is that this will not kill you if we do it once, or twice, or a dozen times. Your heart may stop, if Copperhead becomes bored and overdoes it - but we have a poisoner with us who will bring you back to life. If need be, we will all be here come dawn, and while I have trained you well in the art of controlling your body, I know that your mind is not ready for the horrors I am prepared to visit on you.” Homi steps closer, then grabs Cobra’s hanging head by the chin and raises it to meet Cobra’s glassy stare. “You should tell me what I ask of you because there is something I can offer you - a quick end. Do not delude yourself with false hope - there is nobody riding to your rescue, and even if you should manage to hold out, I would sooner get rid of you and move on without what you know than take you with us and risk that you escape. Your life will end here. How painful the road to your end will be is your choice, however. Do you understand?”

Cobra says nothing, instead just staring at Hiro Homi.

“Do you understand?” Homi repeats.
“Is that all you have to say?” Cobra replies. “All you have to say...to your son...before you kill him?”

Homi lets go of Cobra’s head and turns around, looking to the rest of Shadowwatch.

“What do you wish me to say, Yo?” Homi says. “That I am sorry? That I wish it had not come to this? That, despite all, I shall be proud of your strength if you hold your tongue?
“Would it kill you?” Cobra spits. “To be proud of me, just once?”
“And what do I have to be proud of?” Homi says. “A boy who has taken the letter of my instruction while forgetting its spirit, a cruel and untrustworthy boy who serves the snake coiled around the throne rather than the true Emperor?”
“Stop living in the past!” Cobra says. “The Emperor is dead. That boy you’re protecting doesn’t rate a stableboy, much less a heir, and we both know it!”
“So you work for Ikishi?” Homi says.
Ikishi-dono respects me more than you ever did,” Cobra says. “Unlike your sorry bunch of has-beens, the two of us actually get shit done.”
“You cannot be so stupid as to think you are anything but a tool to her!” Homi fumes.
“Once again you’re letting your crusty notions get in the way of what’s real, pops,” Cobra says. “You hate her so much, you can’t even think that maybe she’s not the woman you see her as. Ikishi-dono is the only one who gives a damn about the future of this country! The only one with a plan to keep the Empire unified and strong against the foreigners! And the only one who has never - ever - talked down to me, or lied to me! But she’s not on your side, so she must be a bitch, right? Isn’t that how it goes?”
“Do you deny that she killed the Emperor, then?” Homi asks.
“You mean how you killed the Emperor -”
“- on her orders!”
“Yes, I know!” Cobra says. “And good fucking riddance! But that’s not the point, pops. The point is that he had to go. He was weak and an idiot.”
“Is that what you think?” Homi asks. “Perhaps you should know that that was Ikishi’s doing, too. It is easy to paint a man as feebleminded after he is poisoned.”
Cobra laughs. “Who do you think delivered the poison, pops?”

Homi whips around and grabs his son by the chin.

What?” he gasps.
“Oh, you didn’t know,” Cobra says. “I’ve been in Ikishi-dono’s service a long time, pops. She knows her way around poison, but to get it past you - that took an actual fucking ninja.”
Homi pushes Cobra’s head away. “Copperhead,” he growls.
“With pleasure,” Copperhead replies.

This shock wracks Cobra a bit longer, and by the time it ends, he’s hanging from the chains gasping for breath, desperately trying to wring his tenderized blazingly red wrists free.

“Ikishi’s plans,” Homi says. “Tell me.”
“What’s to know?” Cobra gasps. “Kill the bitch. Get the idiot. Marry him. Get the throne. Kill the idiot. Simple.”
“I know that part,” Homi says. “I need to know her contingencies. She needs to convince the High Lords that Toshiro is the heir, or influence them otherwise if she has no proof. What does she have on them? Who are her friends?”
Cobra shakes his head slowly. “Don’t know.”
“What galls me most in all of this,” Homi says, “is that you are such a bad liar, Yo.”
“...what?” Cobra gasps.
“She didn’t tell you about the poison and you didn’t sneak it past me,” Homi says. “You remember Habu, our poisoner? I consulted him as soon as I noticed the Emperor’s mind betraying him, and according to him, the poison had been doing its work for days at that point, at most - yet I had sent you away weeks ago on a mission with Copperhead, who told me your presence had been accounted for the entire time.”
“And I’m the liar?” Cobra says. “Habu could have gotten it wrong. You can’t trust what Copperhead tells you, you know he’s in this for the power, not for loyalty.”
“I trust them both in this,” Homi says. “Moreso than I trust your words. You were not important then...but you are important now, as you keep Ikishi’s hands clean by doing her work. Tell me.”
“Never!” Cobra shouts, using every last bit of his breath. It’s as good a time as any, as Copperhead applies a new jolt without waiting for Homi’s order.

Tell me!” Homi says.
Cobra’s tearing up by now, but still shakes his head.
“Copperhead...” Homi whispers.

Cobra almost pulls himself up by the chain at the new, stronger shock, but his attempts to free himself - or even lessen the agony - are proving to be worse than useless. When the shock ends and Cobra drops back down, the chain scrapes along his wrists, sloughing off skin and leading to bloody trails running down his arms, with some blood dripping onto his head. Cobra pants from the exertion, then finally screams out in pain.

“Sir, if I may be excused for a moment...” Sidewinder begins, but Homi silences him with a raised hand.
“It is not an easy sight,” Homi says without turning towards the young gonneslinger, “but I think you need to see it nonetheless, Sidewinder.”
“Sir.”
Homi takes a knee next to Cobra. “Shall I salt your wounds, Yo? Do you wish to find out how it feels now that the lightning will shoot directly into your muscles? How much more of this do you choose to endure?”
“I can’t,” Cobra gasps. “I can’t tell you, dad. I swore.”
“You swore many false oaths, Yo,” Homi says. “To me and to others.”
“I swore a true one to Ikishi-dono,” Cobra says.
“I see,” Homi says. “Yo, I could do something - I will not do it, but I could - I could request the presence of Kamura-san. No doubt she could come to some sort of arrangement with you, steal secrets from the lips I cannot loosen, maybe kindle the flames of hope in your heart - for I have seen her, and all anger towards you aside, she is a more decent sort than I am, and would prefer to not walk my path on this. But we both know that at the end of whatever conversation you have with her, I would still kill you, no matter what kind of deal you two struck in exchange for information. It would be a prudent course for me to let her deal with you, desperate as you are. But...I cannot bring myself to use such a low tactic. Let me ask you one more time to tell me what you know - and this time, I do not ask that you trade against an end to the torture. I ask that you reconsider what is truly best for the empire, and honestly choose to regret your mistake, that you may tell your father what he needs to save the empire before you die. So, please, Yo. Tell me.”
“No,” Cobra says. “Never.”

Homi grabs Cobra’s head and draws it toward him - to plant a soft kiss on his son’s forehead.

“I love you, Yo,” Homi says. “I always will. May your loyalty earn you a reprieve in the next world. Goodbye, son.”
“Bye, Dad,” Cobra gasps, tearing up again.

Homi rises, then turns to the Shadowwatch.

“Sidewinder,” he says, “end him.”

The young ninja nods solemnly and draws one of his gonnes. He aims down the barrel at Yo Homi - such a broken mess, the shell of a man, sobbing and mewling in pain and fear. There is only one compassionate thing left to do, and it is a thing Sidewinder does well.

BANG!

“Unsatisfactory,” Copperhead growls, regarding the now-dead body of Cobra.
“I will need your help disposing of the body,” Homi says.
“I could have broken him,” Copperhead says.
“Are you so certain?” Homi asks.
“His resolve was strong,” Copperhead says, “but no resolve will outlast true pain. The limit was not his; it was yours. It would have been better if you had left this to me.”
Homi straightens up and meets Copperhead’s eyes. “I just had my only son tortured and killed, Copperhead,” he says. “Do not ever doubt my resolve. But there are things in this life that even a ninja cannot do, methods that we cannot stoop to no matter how dire the situation. My son deserved to die keeping his vow. Breaking him would have proven nothing. Nothing he knew would have been worth the part of our meager honor - or our souls - it would have taken to extract it.”
“You clothe your compassion in propriety,” Copperhead says. “Your limits will be the death of you.”
“We will manage without his information,” Homi says. “Now assist me, unless you wish to test how much compassion I have for you.”

Copperhead stares down Homi’s implied threat, but finally nods.

“Of course, sensei,” he says.
Gatac 2013-04-20 03:29:38
Ueki’s had a rough couple of days. Kidnapped by Cobra, beat black and blue, rescued from a trapped hideout, then forcibly reminded of his shortsighted actions a couple more times - this whole Forge thing really hasn’t been working out for him. On the upside, his piss is starting to turn yellow again, so there’s that. As he drags himself back inside the mansion after a trip to the, er, darker corners of the gardens, he finds Kirika waiting for him.

"I told the servants to help you get around, Ueki," Kirika says gently. "You should let them help you."
“A man takes his pride wherever he can get it,” Ueki says. “Are you going to say what you’ve said before? Because I can assure you I haven’t forgotten.”
Kirika steps up next to Ueki and smiles. "No, Ueki. I can tell that you have learned more than my words could possibly inspire." She looks him over. "Would it be all right if I helped you? Those stairs must be painful on your ankle."
Ueki smiles and holds out his arm to hook onto Kirika’s shoulder. “The pain is alright, actually, Habu gave me something...keeping my balance, that’s the tricky part.”
"He's been very helpful," Kirika says as she helps Ueki up the steps and down the hall to his room. "Where do you want to go?" she asks as she slides the door open.
“You mean right now or in the long-term sense?” Ueki asks. “Because I’ve still got to coordinate repairs on the Gungnir, then we can take that back to Kargbeck as a safe harbor, from there it’s on to the Academy...”
Kirika laughs. "I meant in your room."
“The bed’s alright,” Ueki says.

"Then the bed it is," Kirika replies, and guides Ueki back to his bedroll on the floor. She takes a seat herself nearby. "But you're serious about going back to the Academy?"
“Yes,” Ueki says. “I’ve got some debts to settle and I’ll need to ramp up production fairly fast to do it. I’ll need every experienced blacksmith I can get.”
Kirika can't help herself from frowning ever so slightly. "Debts?"
“Yes, debts,” Ueki says. “Spare me the lecture, please. I’ll pay them off, no sense running from it and making it worse.”
Kirika shakes her head. "No, no, it's just that, well, I can help, or you can speak with Oa-sensei about additional work."
“No, I can handle that myself,” Ueki says. “You have much bigger problems.” He frowns. “Like, so big, I’m kind of glad to be putting some distance between us again. No offense.”
Kirika laughs. "I understand. You think you'll be all right there, at the Academy?"
“After all this?” Ueki smirks. “I’ll take getting bored to death.”
Kirika leans forward. "Ueki, I don't want you to be imprisoning yourself in the Academy out of fear. If you really think you can't live and work there, say so."
“It’s not fear, it’s just good sense,” Ueki sighs. “Look. I’m not dumb. I know that when I go out, I tend to get distracted and caught up in things. A little peace and quiet and order will do me good. This whole adventure thing doesn’t really work for me.”
"Maybe someday soon," Kirika replies. "You looking forward to learning - hey! That's right! You never said you knew how to shape metal - or that you were a gonnesmith." She smiles. "I'll have to commission a shorter sword from you to match Crane's Dance."
Ueki nods. “I’ll see what I can do when I have a spare minute. Should I send it by courier to the capital or are you going to pick it up in person?”
"Oh, I'll always swing by to see you," Kirika laughs. "When did you learn?"
“Well, you see, I was at this shrine praying for guidance and then my father’s ghost appeared to me -” Kirika gasps and covers her mouth. “- and he inducted me into the secrets of the Kogin smithing style. I stumbled out of there naked and enlightened.” He waits a moment for Kirika to react. “Okay, either you’re a very good gambler or you really bought that,” he finishes. “No dadghosts in my story, sadly." Kirika slugs Ueki in the shoulder. "Ow! Don’t blame me for you being so gullible! Anyway, my uncle was a decent smith, he taught my aunt, my aunt taught me. I’m not so good at swinging hammers but I have a sharp eye for temperature and impurities. I’m usually that annoying git standing next to the proper smith telling him when to heat and when to quench. They get really mad when I’m right all the time.”
"Well, that is certainly something that Oa-sensei will help you with - and I will make sure he does, after that," Kirika says. She's still a bit pale after Ueki's joke, and looks away.
“I’m sorry about the joke,” Ueki says. “Your dad must have meant a lot to you. Well, mine got himself killed before I was born. I don’t have anything to miss. I got raised by my aunt and my bro. Just the way it always was for us.”
"He still does," Kirika whispers, and runs her left hand along her right arm - and the long trail of tattoos that runs from her fingertips on up. After a few seconds, she turns back to Ueki. "But...I'm glad your aunt taught you so much. She taught you leatherworking as well?"
“Yeah,” Ueki says. “Gods, she was a horrible bitch when she drank, and she drank a lot. But she knew how to fix everything. It’s not even that hard, really, you know? You just have to take the time and learn it properly. Some people try it for two weeks and they don’t get sweet katanas made and they think it’s not for them. You’ve gotta be proud of those ugly work knives you start with. And just go up from there.”
Kirika can't help but smile at that. "That is...very wise. That is why I keep at you, you know. Because you have it in you to be a great smith - possibly the greatest in the Empire, although, don't tell Oa-sensei that."
“Repeating yourself, Kas- Kirika,” Ueki says. “Sorry.”
"It's all right," Kirika says. "And yes, maybe, but only because I want you to believe it, and stop taking these silly risks. You are..." she sniffles, "I mean, I want you to..." She wipes her eyes. "Gods damn this, I'm sorry."
“You’re afraid of losing me, aren’t you?” Ueki asks. “That I’m gonna get myself killed and it’ll all be on you, like you could have saved me - again - if you had zigged instead of zagged? Tell me I’m wrong.”
Kirka shrugs as she tries to keep up with her tears. "That, and...other things."
“You’re in over your head,” Ueki says. “I know a thing or two about that. But I also know that no matter how desperate it gets - as long as you have friends, you’ll make it through.” He leans back against the wall. “I mean, seriously, you crawled through a trap-filled...trap...to save me. After you stopped the most notorious pirate in these waters from killing me. After you yourself spared me in a duel. Do you really think you’re the only one who’d go to that length to help a friend? You’ve got the most badass lady samurai in the whole Empire madly in love with you, your best friends are a bunch of ninjas and ronin who kicked the asses of the damn Shadowwatch, and somewhere way down the line there’s also this idiot gonnesmith who’s itching to pay you back a thousand favors or so. Even if there comes a moment when you alone can’t do it...somebody will have your back. And that’s how you’re going to win, justice will reign and I’m gonna get rich. Sound good?”
Kirika nods, tears still rolling down her face. "I know, I know. That's not...I can't..."
“Can’t what?” Ueki asks.
"Can't seem to stop...this," Kirika says, waving at her eyes. "I'm sorry. It's just...my father, and you're right, I don't want to get you killed...like he did..."
“Okay, look, here’s what you need to understand,” Ueki says. “You’re not your dad and you’re not responsible for what he did and didn’t do. I’m not my bro, either, and thanks for knocking some sense into me on that front. You’re also not me and you’re not your friends. We all choose what we’re doing. If you try to be responsible for all of that, it’s no wonder it’s driving you crazy. Do what you do, Kirika. Do it well. And trust your friends to take care of their own choices.” Ueki shakes his head. “Gods damn it, when did I start talking sense into people? I blame you.”
Kirika laughs between wiping her eyes. "Well, I'm sorry for that. And...I can't not...be...this. This is just...how I am."
“And that’s fine,” Ueki says. “Hells, if I can pay you back by listening and handing out some words, then that’s what I’m gonna do. I just see all this drive in you, and sometimes it starts doubling back on you, and that’s not good for you. Show some of that compassion to yourself, alright?”
Kirika nods. "I'll try, as soon as I know how."
“You’ll figure it out,” Ueki says. “As Oa would say: To be truly strong, you must first accept your weakness.” Ueki smirks. “I like to think he told me that so I could tell you. It wasn’t really helpful with the pullups he wanted me to do.”
Kirika laughs. "And maybe you haven't just figured it out yet." She hugs Ueki. "Thank you. Get better, Ueki. But...I need to go find Yukio. I think I need a hug from her."
“Sure, but stick to hugs this time,” Ueki says. “You guys should get moving.”
Kirika laughs again, and gives Ueki a peck on the cheek. "Send word when you're at Kargbeck and the Academy, all right?"
“I will,” Ueki says. “Now go. I need my sleep.”
Kirika stands up and gives Ueki one last look. "Thank you, Ueki. Good luck."

Ueki nods, then slowly lays down on his bed and turns around - pointedly keeping his back towards the wall. Kirika turns and walks out of the room, gently sliding the door shut behind her. She takes a few steps, but then breaks into a full run, tears still gliding down her face until she finds Yukio upstairs in her room, gathering her equipment for the journey ahead. Kirika buries her face in Yukio's chest as she embraces her, and starts to cry. Yukio slowly returns the hug, then rests her head on Kirika’s shoulder and draws her in tightly.

“What is it, dearest?” Yukio asks.
"I miss my father, and I don't want to lose you," Kirika blubbers into Yukio's kimono.
“Yes,” Yukio says, at a loss for words. “Your father was...a great man. He did not deserve to die the way he did. But I’m here, dearest. I’m here.”
Kirika holds Yukio tightly. "I know." She draws in a sobbing breath, and looks at Yukio's face with reddened eyes. "I'm sorry, Ueki made a joke about..." she gestures towards the tattoos on her face, "how I got this, and...I can't stop fucking crying." She sniffles and wipes her eyes again. "I'm sorry."
“Don’t be,” Yukio says. “I’m here for you, dearest, and I will embrace you whenever you need for however long you need. You just hold on to me and everything will be alright.” She hugs Kirika a little tighter. “It will be. I know it.”
Kirika nods, and bursts into another round of sobbing and buries her face into Yukio's chest again.
“Everything will be alright,” Yukio repeats as she rocks Kirika back and forth in her arms. “I’m here for you, dearest. I’m always here for you...”

---

For a change, Kirika actually wakes up before Yukio. Her love is wrapped around her like a warm blanket, one arm gently caressing her stomach while the other less-demurely rests on her ass. Kirika smirks as she carefully slides out from Yukio’s arm and onto the stable blanket they slept on - the horses down below still asleep themselves. A pitcher of water nearby allows Kirika to splash a bit of water on her face before she starts to put her undergarments back together.

As she reaches for her kimono, Kirika looks over at Yukio: the sleeping samurai still has the hint of a smile on her serene face, and her usually tightly-bound hair is draped all over her face and sprawled out into the hay around her. Her wide chest heaves slowly with every breath, and every exhaled gust softly flows over Kirika’s skin, even now that she’s no longer right next to her love. Watching her reminds her of last night, and Kirika’s smile goes wider at the thought.

It also reminds her of her promise to Yukio that night: no more secrets, no more lies. So, as she reaches for her sword, she crawls forward and gives Yukio a kiss. Yukio fidgets a bit, but remains asleep. Kirika smiles again, and kisses Yukio once more, this time gently rippling her fingernails over Yukio’s stomach. Yukio’s little smile turns into a grin; she pulls her shoulders up and her arms in, as if to mount a token tickle defense, but finally just opens her eyes. “Good morning, Kirika,” she whispers.
“Good morning, Yukio,” Kirika whispers back before sitting upright next to Yukio. “Well, it will be soon. It’s not even twilight out.”
“Are you proposing that we sleep in?” Yukio asks.
"Very funny," Kirika says, but then her smile fades. "I have a meeting with Homi-san, and you cannot follow. But I wanted you to know, both for my safety, and to keep my promise to you."
“Thank you,” Yukio says after a moment. “I assume you will be making plans for how to proceed against Ikishi together with the Shadowwatch?”
"Maybe," Kirika replies. "Maybe he simply wants to discuss how to proceed from yesterday, describe ground rules. He does seem to like them."
“He seems to have an inflated opinion of his own importance,” Yukio replies. “I don’t think he likes - or properly understands - how far we’ve gotten without him. Still, even though we defeated the Shadowwatch in training, I would not want their blades in our back, either. I’m sure you will find a diplomatic solution.”
Kirika smirks - and her eyes scan their surroundings. "You don't like him, do you. Why?"
“He’s the reason Toshi lied to me all those years, to begin with,” Yukio says. “And what has he done to solve the problem he proclaims to fight? A fat lot of nothing. His plans and schemes are too precious and clever to be put into action, and we - we who have fought through all those enemies, have figured out all these things without his help - we’re just the flies in his ointment. He acts as if he is the one who gets to decide how everything works, while actually controlling nothing.” She looks at Kirika. “A proper Lord, in other words.”
Kirika quietly chuckles at that. "I couldn't agree more." She pecks Yukio on the lips. "Well, off I go," she whispers.
“I’ll be waiting for you,” Yukio says, returning the kiss.

Kirika crawls away and slowly climbs down the ladder, a smile firmly fixed on her face. As she clears the doorway of the stables, she doesn't even need to look behind her to know that one of the Shadowwatch was waiting for her inside the stables the whole time. "Where is your master, might I ask?" she says without turning around.
“Waiting in the gardens up front,” Sidewinder replies. “Not a lot of nice stuff to say about him, huh?”
"Can you blame her?" Kirika responds.
“No, I don’t,” Sidewinder says. When Yukio’s bleary face appears peeking over the edge, Sidewinder looks up. “Ma’am,” he says. “Just so you know, I don’t care one whit what you say about the Shadowguard. Me, I’ll leave it at ‘He takes some getting used to’, but I can see how it looks when you haven’t spent the last two decades of your life with him.” He turns back to Kirika. “For what it’s worth, I’m mighty impressed with you all. Starting to feel like we might get some traction against Ikishi.”
Kirika nods. "Hopefully so." She looks up at Yukio's face, her long hair cascading down around her head. "Go back to bed, love. I will see you there soon."
“Alright,” Yukio says, then looks back to Sidewinder. “Are you staying?”
“Yes, Ma’am,” Sidewinder says.
“...did you...”
“No, Ma’am,” Sidewinder says. “Been here for two minutes. Just can’t let you or anybody else stay alone. Might be more assassins, might be one of you sneaking off. Just covering all contingencies.”
“Well,” Yukio says. “Thank you.”
“And who might my escort be?" Kirika looks around. "Is your scholarly friend here, too?"
“No, Ma’am,” Sidewinder says. “If you’re referring to Copperhead, he’s posted inside. Knowing him, he’s probably been checking the roof all night. Didn’t take it well that he got blindsided by your Ayami friend, yes, but also worrying about somebody else trying to same trick.” Sidewinder smirks. “Not that I did much better, but at least the Blue Oni has a name to lose to, you know? Anyway, if you need an escort, I can call for some of the blades.”
"No, simply hoping someone could deliver Yukio's words to Homi-san," Kirika says. "I think it's something he could stand to hear."
“What’s wrong with you telling him?” Sidewinder asks.
"Because I'm fairly certain he won't hear them coming from me," Kirika replies. "Better one of his own men."
“Then you just tell him to ask me about it later,” Sidewinder says. “I think you’ve got that much trust from him.” He smirks again. “If you didn’t gather, I’m none too eager to walk with you and call the Shadowguard an asshole in so many words, even if that is what you two were getting at earlier and I’m just the messenger.”
"You're not helping your 'He takes some getting used to' case, Sidewinder," Kirika remarks with a smirk.
“Was I supposed to helping that?” Sidewinder asks. “Well, shit. In any event, he’s waiting. He’ll take more getting used to if you don’t show up promptly enough.”
"Which is why I'm leaving now," Kirika says. "See you in a bit."
“Later, Ma’am,” Sidewinder says.

---

The morning sun's light is just barely starting to appear on the edge of the horizon when Kirika steps onto the path through the front gardens of the Matsumoto estate. No visible Shadowwatch are posted, but that simply means that Homi's personal guard are well-hidden. Kirika proceeds down the path as the katana-edge-thin line of orange light slowly turns the sky a dark grey, and a fog from the gardens around them mists the air.

A perfect scene for a early-morning meeting with a ninja lord, Kirika thinks.

A few more twists in the path later lead her to a stone bench with Hiro Homi seated on it. Kirika bows to him. "Good morning, Homi-san."
“And a good morning to you, Kamura-san,” Homi replies with a slight nod. “Would you like to sit down, or shall we walk?”
"I think some restful contemplation would be good, after the last few days," Kirika replies, and takes a seat. "Also, no need to tax your guards' ability to silently move over brush - or have them damage Matsumoto-sama's garden walking through it."
“There is, unfortunately, every need,” Homi replies. “We were not suitably prepared, and the fights yesterday made that all too clear. Now that we are here and ready to leave with you, we must be more vigilant than ever and keep our skills honed to the sharpest possible edge.” He smiles a little. “All of that is not to say that your skills are not very impressive, Kamura-san. But the ease with which you and your friends defeated us does worry me. I do not have a good gauge of the skills of Ikishi’s private operatives; I simply assumed that I had assembled the best on my side. But we are no longer the mold. You are.”
"Thank you, Homi-san, but I think that having the best fighters on our side will only make our efforts easier, it won't win the war for us," Kirika replies. "You and your men and women know the Imperial city better than any of us, and are formidable opponents of your own. What I said when we met is true: we need to work together. So." She pauses. "Is it safe to discuss what I mentioned last night?"
“The nice thing about this garden,” Homi says, “is that nobody can come close enough to read our lips. I am very confident that nobody besides my blades is hiding here, either. So, yes, we can speak.”
"Then I should like to know your plan to restore our Emperor to the throne," Kirika says.
“It is by far the more laborious alternative, simply because of how far away I sent the Emperor,” Homi says. “There are various reasons why he would not want to reclaim the throne, none of which I am at liberty to discuss. My focus during these last years has been on putting his son on the throne. Let the Emperor stay dead, Kamura-san. Retrieving him is only of interest in the dire contingency that Toshiro and Yukio be killed.”
Kirika's heart twists at the mention of Yukio's death, but she focuses that feeling onto something else. "But what of Toshi? Surely he misses his father." She thinks for a moment. "Perhaps after this, a sage advisor might be appointed from said distant lands."
“You do not yet understand,” Homi says, “as I have spoken in riddles to guard the Emperor’s honor, but perhaps I need to be frank on this. There is no more an Emperor, just a man who used to be the Emperor. What Ikishi has done to him...it cannot be mended. He is no more a sage Emperor now than a suit of armor and a blade is a samurai. If I was to place him on the throne - I would be Emperor in all but name. Such is the dark fate of Ikishi’s enemies.”
Kirika's mouth hangs open in astonishment. "...what did she give him?"
“A vile poison,” Homi says. “He lost himself, and his mind became feeble. To think, after that dark night where I had to pretend to kill him...I walked the palace the next day, and one of his most trusted advisors spoke to me, telling me in confidence that he was glad it had ended this way, as he could not have endured the Emperor wasting away in full sight of the court and the people. To stand there and agree with him that it was for the best that the Emperor had vanished instead...was difficult.”
Kirika surprises herself, and actually places a comforting hand on the Shadowguard's shoulder. "I am sorry. Does Toshi know what happened to his father?"
“I have not had the heart or the courage to tell him,” Homi says. “The boy believes his father safe and sound in a distant land from which he can not return. That much I pray is still true - I tried to arrange it as best I could, but in the end I had no way to check on the Emperor that I could be sure would not be found out. I think the boy believes his father to be dead by now - maybe he would not say it, but he has accepted it in his heart that he is not coming back. What use would it be, even if I could retrieve him still alive, to present the ghost of his father to Toshiro?”
"He would still be his father," Kirika says softly, her hand remaining on Homi's shoulder as it slumps ever so slightly. "Would it be better for him to die alone, miles away from his son who misses him?"
“The only mercy Ikishi’s poison showed was that it destroyed his ability to realize what had happened to him,” Homi explains. “Sure, to be cared for by his son would make him smile - but so would a warm meal, or a butterfly. Do not think of anything that can be done to make him happy, for he is happy in all the ways he can still be. I truly believe it would not matter for him. And for Toshiro? I have no doubt the boy would cheer his father’s return, but what happens then? He has to be cared for, and there is nothing left in him that can reciprocate, or be the father Toshiro still longs for. He would be just one more burden, a vulnerability. And do not think that it is easy to speak of my old friend in such a way, but it is the truth.”
"I think it would be a burden Toshi would gladly carry," Kirika replies.
“It is a burden no Emperor can afford,” Homi says grimly.
"Perhaps, but maybe that should be his choice. But we have other matters to discuss." Still, she gives Homi's shoulder a comforting squeeze before letting go. "What is your plan to put Toshi on the throne, then?"
“In essence, it is simple,” Homi says. “As no new lineage has been chosen, Toshiro only needs to prove that he is the son of the Emperor to ascend to the throne. Ikishi has all the proof we need, as she intends to place Toshiro on the throne, too - after marrying him, of course. We will need to infiltrate her private quarters, retrieve the proof and then keep her from interfering when we call the High Lords together and present our case. Once they all confirm his lineage, Toshiro will become Emperor, and from there he will have the power to banish Ikishi and her allies. Once they are gone from the court, they may not be beaten, but we will have them out of the halls of power - at which point we will be able to fight them openly and with the full authority of the empire.”
Kirika nods. "All right. And how do you intend to deal with the myriad of ways that Ikishi could easily disrupt this plan?"
“I considered detaining her,” Homi says. “Much as I would prefer to arrange a dagger in her back, I could have killed her many times over the years, but I know that it is not that simple. Ikishi would not trust that the High Lords to simply find in her favor when she presents Toshiro as the lost heir. I am sure she has arranged pressure on them - whether it is evidence of indiscretion, or hidden assassins, or hostages. We will need to...forcefully inquire of her until we have gotten to the root of all her plans and dealt with them before we make a single move out of the shadows.”
"Right, right," Kirika says. "And what of those that are on her side? Or the assassins she will send after Toshi after he has revealed himself? Or if she has set up some sort of signal that if she does not fulfill, the assassins are deployed, hostages killed and evidence released? Or if she simply has no evidence and is counting on having bought or coerced the Lords to simply do as she says?"
“Well, I had some thoughts on that, actually -”
Kirika keeps going on. "And why are we going after Ikishi before we've weakened her power base? Wouldn't this be easier after we've driven a wedge between her, the lords, and her criminals and assassins? And, of course, simply because Ikishi and her adherents are out of court does not mean they are out of power. Even from outside the palace walls, she could nullify every decision and order Toshi makes, or even arrange for a similar fate to his father's." She sees Homi staring at her. "I am simply stating my thoughts."
“I will grant that it is not an easy approach,” Homi says. “The core of the matter as I see it is this: what will Ikishi do when we try to disarm the many snares she has laid? She will not sit by idly. By attacking her indirectly, we would give her time to rally a response, or even execute one of her existing plans. If we gain custody of her first, we would at least be certain that she cannot instruct her agents, and I am fairly certain that when it comes to her plans or her life, she will choose survival.”
"Assuming she does not have contingencies in place for such an event," Kirika points out. "And given your confidence in her foresight and the fact that she has to at least suspect your loyalty is not very firm, she doubtless has plans against you that you have not seen. And you are forgetting that defeating Ikishi is only part of the war - if our first act in putting Toshi on the throne is kidnapping and torturing an esteemed member of the court, I doubt that the High Lords - even those she has not bought or threatened - will see such actions kindly. We might very well install Toshi as Emperor, only to plant the seeds for a coup." She shakes her head. "We must first separate Ikishi from her allies and turn them against her, make her seem like the threat and usurper she is, and only then can we move directly against her. Otherwise, the legitimacy of Toshi's reign would forever be questioned."
“Our disagreement lies, among other things, in our assessment of Ikishi’s plans,” Homi says. “I fear what she may do if we do not silence her first, you fear what such an overt action will put into motion. Perhaps the very first thing we need to do is gather more information before we decide an approach. Yet we cannot delay too long. That, Kamura-san, is the central dilemma of everything a Shadowguard does - to protect the Empire with only guesswork and supposition at your side, hoping that the results will bear you out. I think this is a discussion Toshiro needs to be part of, too.”
"I agree," Kirika says. A slight rustling in the bushes behind them and to their right cocks her head at the same instant Homi does the same. Kirika smirks and shakes her head. "Of course, as to the second part, Toshi might already be a part of the conversation."
“Come out, boy,” Homi says. “And tell me however you managed to get past the blades.”

Toshi rises from behind a bush. He’s wearing old dark clothes expertly peppered with bits of foliage and grass to blend into the garden’s weeds. Nonplussed, he walks around the bench and sits down between Kirika and Homi.

“I asked them to let me through,” Toshi says. “They were not keen to contradict me.”
"And what did you need your silly plant suit for, then?" Kirika asks. "Does the glue still stick to you when you wear it?"
“My silly plant suit, as you continue to insist on calling it, got me within ten feet of the Shadowguard,” Toshi says. “Perhaps you should get one yourself.”
“Gadgetry aside,” Homi says, “you have made your wish to participate in this discussion known. As it is your life in jeopardy, it shall be your choice. How do we solve the Ikishi problem?”
“That’s tricky,” Toshi says. “On one hand, we really should cut her off from her allies and reduce her leverage before we move against her. On the other hand, the less of a chance we give her to react to us, the better.” He strokes his chin. “It would really be best if we could make her dismantle her own contingencies and get rid of her allies, wouldn’t it? If she thought that she did not need them anymore...if she thought she had won. But that would be a very elaborate and very dangerous con.”
“You speak of turning yourself over to her,” Homi says. “Where exactly does it stop making her believe she’s won and start letting her actually win, then? If she suspects that your appearance is part of a scheme, then we will have just handed her what she wanted all along with nothing to show for it.”
Kirika thinks while Homi responds. "Perhaps there is a middle ground - a place where Toshi can still poke Ikishi in the eye, like he wants to do," she says, giving Toshi a poke in the side herself, "and we can get our reaction, without having to turn Toshi over to her. Toshi, what did the court know you as?"
“The son of a distant lord, sent to live in the capital to ensure loyalty,” Toshi says. “But that lord died in battle and his wife was killed when his home was pillaged. In a magnanimous gesture, the Emperor allowed me to become a part of his court.”
"Well, perhaps after a long battle, the son has reclaimed what was rightfully his," Kirika says with a smirk, her expression only slightly tempered by the stabbing pain from how closely Toshi's cover mirrors her own life.
“And he returns to the capital to take the only woman he ever truly loved as his wife, hoping that she will forgive him his past mistakes,” Toshi adds. “That would convince everyone but Ikishi - she, we would have to make believe that I am still a conman trying to bilk her out of money again. And in turn tempt her to play along and accept my advances because that way, she will get to marry the heir who does not know he is the heir.”
Homi snorts but says nothing.
"Yes, or we keep you as far away from her as possible," Kirika says. "The fact that you have returned should be enough to send her plans into disarray, and in that confusion, we can assess what is going on and what plan of action is best." Kirika shakes Toshi's shoulder. "Sorry, your desire to toy with Ikishi will have to wait until we know if you will end up as the cat or the mouse."
“I prefer to think of myself as a tiger,” Toshi replies.
“And I prefer you as far away from Ikishi as possible,” Homi says. “Kamura-san’s approach seems sensible. You will be a valuable distraction - from afar.”
“And what about ‘it shall be your choice’?” Toshi says.
“It shall be,” Homi says, “as soon as we have made sure you understand the risks involved in that. Kamura-san, you seem to have a hand for detailed critique...”
“Fine!” Toshi yelps. “Anything but that.” He shakes his head. “Honestly, you two are the smartest people I know. If you’re both agreed, I’ll go with it.” He starts to get up, but Kirika’s hand is stuck to the shoulder of his suit.
"Toshi!" Kirika tries to jerk her hand off the suit, then sighs. "Did you at least use the water-soluble glue this time?"
“...that depends on what kind of glue Matsumoto-sama keeps in his supply closet,” Toshi replies sheepishly.
Kirika growls at Toshi as Homi shakes his head and returns to his feet. "I hope this stupid suit tears off all your chest hair, like last time."
“Most but not all of it!” Toshi insists. “And we did get the ruby.”
Kirika sighs and turns back to Homi. "Thank you for talking with me, Homi-san." She bows to him - and intentionally yanks Toshi down with her.
"Hey!" Toshi protests.
"I think we have reached an agreement, and a solid plan," Kirika continues. "We shall talk more about...the other thing, later."
Homi nods. “A pleasure. I will leave you to your further...entanglements.” He wanders off into the garden, a smirk barely visible on his face.

Kirika turns back to Toshi. "Now, you, me, and this silly suit of yours have a date with Yukio and a sharp blade."
“I was afraid you’d say that,” Toshi replies. “Still totally a tiger,” he mutters.
"Yeah, a tiger with patchy fur," Kirika shoots back as they walk back towards the stables.
“Ah-hah! But a tiger nonetheless!”
Kirika smirks and leans against Toshi, careful not to get her hair stuck to his suit. "Sure, a tiger nonetheless."
Toshi smirks and makes a claw with his left hand, raking it through the air, and they both start laughing.

---

As Kirika and Toshi return to the mansion from the garden, they find Sidewinder still keeping an eye on the stables. He gives Toshi an understated nod.

“Sir,” he says, “Copperhead was just stomping about here looking for you, apparently you slipped from his observation?” Sidewinder chuckles to himself. “You folks have gotten one over on him three times now, I don’t reckon he’ll be too agreeable. But when is he ever?”
“Mind your tongue, whelp,” comes a voice seemingly out of nowhere. Copperhead steps out of thin air, sparks rolling over his armor. Whatever trick he’s using to do that, it’s more than the usual shadows and smokebombs techniques, and Toshi instinctively flinches away from him. “Prince,” he says to Toshi, “I cannot protect you if you use Homi-sensei’s teachings against me.”
“I don’t need your help, Copperhead,” Toshi says.
“Be that as it may, you will not lose me again so easily,” Copperhead says. “Your safety is our first concern.”
"And it is good that it is," Kirika says, shifting Toshi's arm on her shoulder. "I know how much of a handful Toshi can be to take care of -"
“Your perspective is immaterial,” Copperhead interrupts. “I will fulfill my task. Prince Toshiro’s safety must not be compromised by any means or for any reason.” He stares at Toshi. “Including the Prince’s scheme to expose himself to further danger by trying to approach the Lady Ikishi. We cannot use such a strategy under any circumstances.”
"And I agree," Kirika replies, and gives Toshi a look. "But now he's here, and I'd like to speak with you both, if that's all right. Yukio can look after Toshi, all right?"
“Acceptable,” Copperhead says. “Report back here in ten minutes, Prince, and I will resume guarding you.”
“Uh, sure,” Toshi says, then slinks off into the stables. Copperhead refocuses his eyes on Kirika.
“We have ten minutes,” he says. “Speak.”
Kirika's a little startled at Copperhead's brusqueness. "Well, I want to know what you both think about Homi-san's plans so far, how all of that has gone."
“About as well as it could,” Sidewinder says, “what with not being able to do a darn thing in the capital without being exposed. But you folks seem to have it well in hand, so we should be able to put the kibosh on Ikishi and her plans if we work together.”
“Sensei’s inaction was frustrating but follows in a logical manner from his pattern of thinking,” Copperhead says. “I have long advocated for direct action, as Ikishi is clearly the core of our problems. Sensei showed fear of the consequences. I am confident we would prevail. Tricks and plans cannot replace force, but they can grant a certain tactical flexibility that would let us strike at the enemy where she is vulnerable, at which point we would merely have to push our advantage. Put in a glib manner: strike first, strike fast, strike hard.”
Kirika looks at Sidewinder. His hat almost hides him rolling his eyes. Almost. "Sidewinder? What do you think?"
“I’m thinking we just got our asses kicked in a fight,” he says, “and while you might think it’s fun stomping around frying enemies with your lightning jitsu, that don’t scale up. You put us against a darn army, we’ll lose. No amount of flanking or striking in the back’s gonna change that. We gotta do this real sneaky. Without a big fight. I mean, what’s wrong with lying low, coming in quiet, asking around? We can’t be the only guys Ikishi’s pissed off.”
“Your fear of action is your weakness, Sidewinder,” Copperhead says. “Schemes and schemes coil around each other like a nest of snakes. My proposal seeks to put fire to the nest.”
“You know that’s a hell of an ironic analogy you’re sporting there, yeah?” Sidewinder replies with a smirk.
“Joke to your heart’s content, little snake,” Copperhead says. “We require warriors, like Kamura-san, not tricksters.”
Kirika clears her throat. "Do you know me, Copperhead?" she asks innocently. "What do you think I did before I found myself standing here before you?"
“Your tone leads me to conclude that your life before swordswomanship included what can be referred to as trickery,” Copperhead says. “By leveraging my assessment of you against actual fact, you wish to prove me wrong and thereby think to convince me that I am approaching this enterprise from a suboptimal angle and should instead ask your advice. Does that describe the circumference of your intent, Kamura-san?”
Kirika rocks her head back and forth. "Well, you're half right - three-quarters right, really. I was a con artist, a grifter, a thief. And I only survived until today - my swordswomanship included - because it's much easier to fight an enemy you've already beaten. Running headlong at a target as powerful at Ikishi will end with a victory you wouldn't want to have at best, and most likely dead in a ditch. Trickery is how you get at a target like her - you peel away her friends, turn her assets against her, turn her strengths into weaknesses. After that, the battle wins itself. But, you are not wrong about action being preferable to inaction, and that is what Homi-san has offered in reality, yes?" She looks between the both of them. "Sidewinder, what do you say?"
“Hey, I’m good with some old-fashioned trickery,” Sidewinder says. “Though, really, I bet there’s a ton of people chomping at the bit to get back at her. Maybe not so much tricks as just asking nicely, you know?”
“Asking nicely indeed,” Copperhead throws in. “You know how I ask nicely, little snake.”
"Okay, that's enough out of you," Kirika cuts Copperhead off. "I hope to the Gods above you are not like this...all the time. We are not having a 'biggest badass' contest here, I am trying to figure out what has been going on with the Shadowwatch, and what you two - who I'm guessing are Homi-san's trusted seconds - have seen and are thinking about." Copperhead starts to smile at that, Sidewinder rolls his eyes again as Kirika turns to Sidewinder. "Don't think you're off the hook. You know as well as I do that Homi-san has been far too cautious since what happened with the Emperor, and from what you've said so far, you've been enabling his caution instead of bringing up your concerns like a good second should."
“Easy there, Ma’am,” Sidewinder says. “Homi-sensei taught me everything I know. You don’t just go up to the man and say he’s wrong. I mean, yeah, I wouldn’t have gone that way, but he wasn’t so far off-course either. He kept us alive. He had a shit hand and he played it as well as he could. Let him have his peace of mind, I say. We’re gonna win this for him.”
"How?" Kirika asks. "I mean, what was your plan before you met me, last night?"
“Toshi was the plan, Ma’am,” Sidewinder says. “He was the only one who could move freely. I trusted the kid to pull something together, and from the looks of it I was right. I don’t sweat the details, I’m not a guy with a thousand plans. Sometimes you just gotta make a bet and let it ride. And if that don’t work, you try again.”
"Let it ride? With the Emperor's son and only heir?" Kirika asks incredulously. "If your 'don't sweat the details' plan ends with Toshi strung up in the Palace courtyard after Ikishi forced him to marry him after she broke both his knees, what's your plan to try again, hm? Did you even speak with Toshi before today?"
“Hardly could, could I?” Sidewinder gives back. “Look. If Toshi had gotten in deep at some point, there would’ve been no point in holding back further. We could have gone all-in then. But it didn’t happen and I don’t find obsessing over all the things I can’t do bupkus about to be very productive.”
"So, your plan was to just...what, turn Toshi loose in the Capitol, and when something went horribly wrong, just barge in, kill Ikishi - hopefully before she kills Toshi - and just clap your hands and say you've done your job?" Kirika shakes her head. "And that was in between letting Homi-san's worries and pain over having failed his charge and friend just amplify and further turn his feet to stone. And his other second simply advocates cutting out the 'offer Toshi up on a spit' part and going straight to a very public and very bloody coup." She looks between the two of them. "Did I miss anything?"
“Lady, you got a lotta cheek acting like we had our thumbs up our asses while you’re ready to sweep the board with your brilliance,” Sidewinder says. “Who do you think paved your way? Who made sure the assassins sent after Mohime-san weren’t never that bright? Who cultivated assets like the Oni and Olafsen who would be easy to subvert for Toshi when he met them? Who’s been screening your moves from Ikishi’s spies? The old man did a lot more than you give him credit for. And if you’re gonna act like I don’t care what happens to Toshiro, we’re gonna have problems. Don’t twist my words. What I did and didn’t do, that was because I trusted my sensei and I trusted my prince. You disagree? That’s fine. But don’t lecture me. You’re not Shadowwatch, you’ve never dealt with Ikishi. Don’t act like you’re all that and a pot of gold, too.”
Kirika shakes her head. "As an assassin, you would presumably know that all it takes is one lucky idiot, no matter how well-protected someone is. Oni and Olafsen's little enterprise in Kargbeck only avoided threatening Toshi's life because they were too busy trying to kill Yukio Matsumoto first - when they were done with her, I think you can tell what the plan was next. I'm not saying the Shadowwatch has done nothing - what I am saying is that what Homi-san has had you doing has been ineffective at best, and I want to know why, and I was hoping that you two might have an idea."
“Yukio Matsumoto was a lightning rod,” Copperhead says. “As long as Homi-sensei had Ikishi focused on the singular task of killing her in the most roundabout and unlikely ways possible, he restrained her from taking more direct action to reacquire Prince Toshiro. Please remember that per Ikishi’s leverage, the Shadowwatch was officially tasked with ensuring Prince Toshiro would return to marry Ikishi. Homi-sensei sabotaged that effort as well as he was capable without revealing his hand to Ikishi. That was the theory under which we operated in any event. I made my objections to such a roundabout and random scheme clear, but it was his decision.”
Kirika looks at Sidewinder. "And you agree with him about having voiced your objections, and then just put it in Homi-san's hands?"
“I can’t say I wouldn’t have liked a better plan,” Sidewinder says, “trouble is, there wasn’t one. You play the cards you got the best way you know how. I ain’t saying Homi-sensei’s perfect, but it wasn’t like I had a better plan, you know? So, why keep bringing it up if you can’t do it better?”
Kirika looks between the two Shadowwatch. "And you two...you don't talk all that much? You both seemed to have the same concern, no communication between Homi-san's seconds?"
Sidewinder and Copperhead look to each other. “No,” Copperhead says. Sidewinder stays quiet.
Kirika sighs. "Why?"
“He’s an idiot,” Copperhead says.
“He’s a dick,” Sidewinder replies.
"Great," Kirika says, rubbing her face. "Okay, last question. Both of you, what is your honest assessment of Homi-san? Where is his head at?"
“He’s still sharp, but he’s scared,” Sidewinder says. “Can’t play when you’ve got everything in the pot already. He can’t afford to lose, that’s why he can’t win big. And I think he knows it. You guys, you’re gonna get this done. I think he believes that, and that’s the best thing that’s happened to him in a long while.”
“I concur with the idiot,” Copperhead says. “But to add some insight of mine: Homi-sensei deems you competent, though much of his hope rests in that Ikishi has not been exposed to your faces or your methods. It must be comforting to think that the power and insight of his enemy is what was holding him back from being more effective, however inaccurate that may be. I require no such delusion.”
"And neither of you have shared these concerns with Homi-san?" Kirika asks.
“He is aware,” Copperhead says. “He merely sees no way out of his situation, at least not within the means he is comfortable employing. Sidewinder’s folksy metaphor of Homi-sensei already having bet everything he has seems appropriate here.”
Kirika nods. "Okay. Now, I want to say that I have no intention of swooping in and solving all your problems for you. This is something that we are going to have to do together, and that means that my friends and I need to get up to speed with what you both know, and you both need to start going beyond simply what Homi-san has ordered you to look at. You are both obviously incredibly talented, or else you wouldn't be at the top of the Shadowwatch. Homi-san puts his faith in you, like he's putting his faith in me, so let's all start earning that faith, all right?"
“Sounds good to me,” Sidewinder says. “I’m ready for a new direction.”
“If Homi-sensei orders it, I will obey your commands,” Copperhead says.
"Well, I'm not taking over anything," Kirika says with a smirk, "but close enough." She bows to Copperhead before looking at Sidewinder. "Sidewinder, a word?"
“You got it, Ma’am,” Sidewinder says, then steps closer to Kirika and walks with her. “You always talk this much, Ma’am? I’m getting cotton mouth yapping about everything.” After a moment, he adds “That wasn’t meant to be a snake joke, Ma’am.”
"Only when I'm this concerned about what I'm seeing," Kirika replies. "And considering it's my best friend and my girlfriend whose lives are on the line, I'm pretty fucking concerned. Fair?"
“I can see that,” Sidewinder says. “So, I gather we didn’t make a brilliant first or second impression. Any particular concerns?”
"Copperhead seems to have no regard for anyone that isn't himself or Homi-san - but at the same time, no one's willing to listen to a thing he says, even when it makes sense, so I don't see why he would," Kirika starts. "You seem either completely content to let everything just fall apart as long as it's not your fault - or you've got no faith in yourself, you're terrified of Homi-san and aren't willing to stand up to him when you know he needs someone to tell him to get back on his horse. Neither of you have much faith in Homi-san, your Shadowguard, to get anything done, but neither of you have done more than say a few words to him - and none at all to each other - about this problem, when it's the life of the Empire at stake." She sighs. "But that's about all."
Sidewinder stares at Kirika for a moment, then turns away. “That’s about all,” he parrots. “Fuck you, Ma’am. You been talking trash about me and my team for ten minutes and I’ve had my fill. Come back when you’ve got solutions. Until then, I’ll be taking my leave. Good day to you.” He turns to leave and starts to walk away.
"I already have one," Kirika says after him. Sidewinder stops walking. "Tell Homi-san the truth about your concerns. Tell him you think he needs to do more - and help him figure out what to do. I agree that Copperhead is...difficult. That means it's on your shoulders to help Homi-san. You understand that, yes?"
“Ma’am, I shoot people,” Sidewinder says without turning back. “About all I’m good at. You feel the need, go flap your gums at him. But if you ain’t realized it yet, he already heard what we said back there. Figure that might give your voice a little rest, seeing as you won’t have to repeat yourself so much. I ain’t part of that conversation no more.”
"You should be," Kirika says. "I think you can be."
“Maybe,” Sidewinder says. “But maybe not.” He starts walking again. This time, Kirika just watches him go.

After Sidewinder walks back into the manor house, Kirika shakes her head. "Did all three of you hear all of that? I wasn't too hard, was I? I handled that right?" she asks, shaking her head.
“Yeah, pretty much,” Toshi calls out from inside the stables. “You want to come in? We’re having some breakfast.”
“The fish rolls are excellent,” Homi adds.
“And I know you haven’t eaten anything yet,” Yukio throws in. “Come on.”
Kirika turns around and hustles inside, holding her hands up to catch a roll that Toshi tosses her, already taking a bite out of it before she sits down. She looks the three of them in the eyes, but stops on Homi. "So, come on. Give it to me, tell me what I did wrong."
“You blamed them for my mistakes,” Homi replies. “Sidewinder is a good soul, but he does not trust himself - and life has given him every occasion to keep thinking that way. Copperhead, I’m sure, would simply tell you that it was illogical to dwell on topics that would antagonize them when you need to get them both to like you. I don’t think he harbors a grudge, if that is a concern.“
Kirika shakes her head. "I don't care if they like me. I care if they can do their jobs and are willing to both listen to me and give me orders and advice. I am not trying to make friends, I am trying to save the life of the woman I love and get my best friend installed on the throne he belongs."
“But that is not the way I trained them,” Homi says. “They follow orders. They have had to accept a long time ago that they may not know all the details, that they may feel bad about what they have to do, but I have taught them that it is all in the service of a greater good, as it was the only way to assure that I remained in as much control as I could manage - for all the good that did us. And if you will forgive me for saying so, Kamura-san - what you want depends very much on making friends. Is this how you approach all people in power, with probing questions and a drive to convince them of the error of their ways?”
“No,” Yukio says.
“...kinda?” Toshi throws in. “Sorry, Kirika, but you do do that. Sometimes.”
Kirika's eyes soften as she looks at Yukio and Toshi. "Especially when your lives are on the line. Apologies, Homi-san," she says with a bow, "but I sensed that there was a problem that Sidewinder was not speaking, and I needed to know how deep the concerns really were. And it seems they go quite deep. If you think that my methods were not appropriate, then I will stand aside and you can lead them as you see fit. They are your people, after all, and you know how to manage them best."
“Your drive to the truth is admirable and I fear some pain is necessary to effect the transformation of Shadowwatch into a more effective force,” Homi says. “But I caution you to remember that people are more than sums of knowledge or fonts of misapprehension for you to mine and correct. They have feelings, and pride in who they are. You may need to speak quietly to some, and the truths you dig out of another will set him against you no matter how justified you were to pry. Be mindful of such things, as there is value in treading softly.”
Kirika bows again. "I believed that they could withstand a more rigorous line of questioning, which is why I was concerned that I stepped over a line. And I did offer Sidewinder a chance to have his input, which I still believe could be valuable. Both of them could contribute a lot to our plans, in fact." She sighs, and lays back against the haybale she's sitting on. "But I suppose I fucked that up, didn't I."
“You did not open wounds that cannot be mended, so do not be too hard on yourself in this,” Homi says. “Kamura-san, I cannot pretend to sit in judgment of you. You feel bad about this now - I cannot promise an end to things you will feel bad about. When I speak of treading softly, understand that I can only say so to offer a different perspective, not a prescription for all future deeds. I wish to steer you such that you enter into action with your mind open to all alternatives and their ramifications - what you then decide is necessary and what you find unacceptable, I cannot tell you.” He bows back to her. “I am sorry that I cannot offer more comfort than that. My heart has grown heavy with the weight of all the things I have done in my life, many of which continue to haunt me - I can only persevere and pray that in the end, I did more good than I did evil in this world, that the next may not judge me too harshly.”
“That’s...pretty fatalistic, sensei,” Toshi says.
“It is the only faith that still remains in me,” Homi says.
"And there is still much good that you can do, Homi-san," Kirika says, reaching for Yukio's hand. "Believe me, there is still much that you can do, and I can think of a good place to start."
“Please, speak,” Homi says. “If I can be helpful to the cause...”
"Well, our plan has Toshi walking into the Capitol as the returning young Lord, triumphant from battle and reclaiming his land," Kirika says with a smirk as she rubs her thumb on the back of Yukio's hand. "Someone that important could certainly use some protection from a wise old friend - and it is not as if the face of the Shadowguard is a known quantity. Except maybe to Lady Ikishi."
“Indeed, only the inner circle at the court would know my face,” Homi says.
"Then how would you like to have an opportunity to poke Lady Ikishi right in the eye when you walk up with her much-desired future dearly departed husband under your protection?" Kirika asks, her smirk growing to a full-blown grin.
“I may enjoy the look on her face,” Home says, allowing himself a smile. “How will she respond, seeing the heir and the Shadowguard arrive in the capital under false names? What is your idea here?”
"Well, that's where I'm hoping she spins herself into a frenzy, letting us see all the members of her little cabal, find the weaknesses, and kick them out from under her," Kirika replies.
“She will know I have betrayed her and try to execute on my leverage, only to find it ineffective,” Homi says. “But she will also see her goal within reach, and try to acquire Toshiro and dispatch Yukio with her own forces. Which is where I assume we will meet her fury and beat her soundly?”
"No, this is where, her goal in sight, we force her to overreach and then punish her - especially if we already have the number of her own weaknesses," Kirika replies. "We present a tasty enough target that she lowers her guard, and while she is stuck in our trap, we strike elsewhere."
Homi nods. “I believe we have the capability to pursue such a plan. Our biggest disadvantage, as I see it, is our lack of knowledge on Ikishi. When we have her pursuing Toshiro, we need to know where to strike her.”
"Then our combined people, my friends and your men, need to be in place and ready to watch when you arrive," Kirika replies.
“Indeed, though I prefer we rely on your friends initially as much as we can,” Homi says. “If Shadowwatch is made too early, it may cause problems. Better to act with fresh faces that are not known to be connected.”
Kirika nods. "Agreed. We'll take point, you cover the gaps?"
“And when the time comes, we will unite and cut the strings that hold up the spider’s web,” Homi says.
"Indeed," Kirika says. "And...any advice on patching things up with Sidewinder and Copperhead?"
Homi nods. “Sidewinder will accept your apology, but what he needs is a boost to his confidence. He has studied the gonnes of the foreigners in depth - I trust members of your team have as well? I’m sure a conversation on such topics, where he can serve as expert, would be helpful. You can consult him on the matter of fighting Ikishi’s troops, and entrust him with diversionary tactics. As for Copperhead - I do not know how to work his feelings, I’m not quite sure he has them in the way most people do. Show him that you understand his value and are willing to use his skills effectively. In the end, he relishes few things as deeply as a chance to show off and be the center of the battle. Give him such a chance and he will follow your commands without qualm.”
"Well, then it's good that's my plan for him already," Kirika replies. "As for Sidewinder...I think we will need his intellect. I tried to stoke his confidence, but I suppose it was too soon. I will try again soon." She stands and bows to Homi. "Thank you, Homi-san."
“Above all,” Homi says, “do not repeat my mistakes. At some point along this road, Kamura-san, you will lose. Make sure you can afford it.”
Kirika takes Yukio's hand again and gives it a good squeeze - but saves her eyes for Toshi. She manages a small smile for him, but he glances back to Yukio - the implication of what Homi said all too clear to him. “We can’t lose,” he says. “Not like that. We’re going to win, and I will wring the life out of Ikishi’s neck with my own hands.”
"And we won't, Homi-san, Toshi -" Kirika turns to Yukio, and gives her a kiss. "- Yukio, I will do my very best."
“To make myself clear, I did not mean lose as in giving Ikishi anything she wants - certainly not Yukio’s death,” Homi says. “Do not mistake an old man’s gloomy worries for iron-clad prophecy. Just...be mindful of your expectations, and do not have a single point of failure.”
“I think she heard you the first time, old man,” Toshi says.
“People my age are allowed to repeat ourselves,” Homi says.
"I was already keeping that in mind, but thank you anyway, Homi-san, and I mean it," Kirika replies graciously. "I hope to learn as much from you as I have from Yukio."
“My insight into...techniques...is not as current as it once was,” Homi says with a smirk, “but I shall endeavour.”
“Not appropriate, Homi-sensei,” Toshi says.
“Again, the perks of my age, grasshopper,” Homi replies.
"And I believe I've taught her far more in that," Kirika jokes, and wraps her arms around Yukio. Yukio turns beet-red in response.
“Swordfighting, we’re talking about swordfighting,” Yukio says.
“Suuuuure,” Toshi says.
“Shut up,” Yukio replies.
Gatac 2013-04-20 03:32:27
Takao rises at dawn the next morning. He stretches and rolls his shoulders that are still knotted from last night’s sparring, then reaches for his swords and heads to the gardens. Like Kirika, he prefers their tranquility over the dojo for his morning practice.

His warmup looks a little bit like exercise for people who hate exercise, amplified by his bulk. His solid gut makes him look almost fat besides the lithe ninjas, and his broad shoulders and thick arms intensify the impression. Then Takao draws his father’s blade, and launches into the Eight Basic Cuts, beginning with glacial speed and cleanly separating the cuts, then becoming faster and more fluid with the motion. Suddenly, he turns and charges through the narrow path between two rows of hedges, slashing left and right with his blade without touching branch or leaf as his blade slides between them in a exercise of awareness and precision, as unstoppable as a tsunami. At the end of the path, he sheathes his blade and turns around. As he watches, a single bisected leaf flutters to the ground. Takao follows its flight, then sighs and turns back to the house.

During his morning ablutions, Takao notes that, as servant of the emperor, it is high time for him to adopt higher standards of appearance again, and resolves to find a barber later today for a shave and a haircut.

Finally, he seeks out the kitchen, and he is busy scooping in rice and fish and slurping seaweed soup when Kirika finds him.
Kirika walks in with one of the Shadowwatch - Sidewinder, if memory serves - and bows respectfully to the eating samurai. "Good morning, Takao-san," Kirika says. "If I may have a moment of your time?"
The Shadowwatch ninja has taken off his kimono, leaving a visible brace of handgonnes hanging loosely across the chest of his shozoku. He’s still wearing his hat, which he tips in Takao’s direction. “Howdy,” Sidewinder says.
Takao sets the bowl aside and swallows, then bows to the pair. “Of course, Kirika-san”, he replies.
Kirika takes a seat, and motions for Sidewinder to do the same. "I know that you are interested in gonnes and combat using them, and since Sidewinder is an expert in gonne combat, I wanted you two to have a chance to sit down and speak." She looks to Sidewinder and gives him a polite - but warm - smile. "He is a very talented fighter, and an excellent tactician to boot, and I believe that we could learn a lot from him." She looks back to Takao. "So, whatever questions you might have, this is a great chance for us all to learn from his experience."
“Saw you fight,” Sidewinder adds. “To be honest, on top of anything else I just wanted to meet you and shake your hand. That was some darn nice fighting you did.”
Kirika nods. "Takao is our best swordsman. We wouldn't have made it this far without his aid."
“Kirika-san is too modest. I have yet to defeat a duelist of her skill”, Takao replies. “It is true, I have been searching for a gonne-jutsu master for a while. I was intrigued by your style yesterday. You use the gonnes like a melee weapon, very unlike the gaijin. I had the opportunity to observe a gaijin tai-sa and his troops a few days back. They used the longer gonnes, and used them like dai-kyu. It was a terrifying sight. It was like seeing... the end. The end of the samurai, for what value is in them, when a lifetime of martial training can be replaced by a group of peasants with gonnes? Surely you have thought about fighting against gonnes as much as fighting with them, and I would be honored to learn both gonne handling and strategy from you.”
Sidewinder nods to that. “So far, the best idea I’ve had on how to fight a longgonne regiment is don’t. Not with footmen or cavalry on open ground, anyway. If you had to face them - do it ninja style. Ambush them, flank them, do a charge at short range before they can get their gonnes readied. Once you actually reach their line, they’re gonna fold, because these guys don’t get any of the close-combat drills. And I reckon their formation isn’t too good at turning around, not when their officers get barely better training than the shooters, so anything coming at them from the sides or the back’s gonna mess them up real good. Basically? They got a hell of a thing, but that’s all they’ve got. You figure out a way to not be the target of their barrage, you should be able to stomp ‘em pretty good.” He smirks at Takao. “And on the topic of getting all up in somebody’s face with a gonne...aw, shucks. Nothing I couldn’t show a fella.”
Takao ponders this for a moment. “Loose formations may work. It removes some of the benefits of the massed fire, presents too many targets. And of course terrain: brush and trees are essential for the approach.” And with that, the two engage in a prolonged tactical discussion, in which Sidewinder provides more detail on the workings, advantages and disadvantages of gonnes that culminates in several hours at the shooting range.

---

As everyone packs up for the road, Kirika finds Sidewinder sitting cross-legged on his rolled-out gear bundle, cleaning his gonnes. He’s scrubbing down handgonne nr. 7 (the one with the cherry tree stock that pulls to the left a little but groups nicely) when he notices the lady samurai and looks up at her.

“What can I do you for, Ma’am?” he asks.
"How did things go with Takao?" Kirika asks in return.
“Pretty well,” Sidewinder says. “For a guy with a mean edge like his, he sure knows his way around powder. A little stodgy, but I like him.” He looks at his current gonne, turning it to see the different angles and spot rogue dust particles. “Probably good that we got ourselves some training time here. Not a lot of shooting on the road, unless you’re one of those assholes who can’t hunt with a bow. Anything else you wanted?”
Kirika sighs and rubs her right eye. "I wanted to apologize for earlier. I'm not aware of how the dynamics of the Shadowwatch work, and it might not be yours or Copperhead's responsibilities to more forcefully voice concerns about Homi-san's performance or mental state." She bows deeply to Sidewinder. "So, I am very sorry."
Sidewinder nods. “Appreciate it, Ma’am,” he says. “Apology accepted. I reckon you folks got yourself a different way of things, so I wasn’t real angry, more...exasperated. I don’t much appreciate folks who can’t take a hint, but I can see where you were coming from, what with the topic being of some importance and all.”
Kirika smiles. "I wasn't being particularly diplomatic, either.”
“Nope, you weren’t,” Sidewinder throws in, returning the smile.
"But I also meant what I said about you taking more of a leadership role," Kirika says, her smile fading into more of a leadership tone herself. "You are a great teacher and tactician, as you just proved with Takao. I know that you have known about the Shadowwatch's problems for longer than you let on, and had better plans in regards to what you could be doing than what you said earlier - but chose not to advance them. And I think that that is a shame."
“Fair enough,” Sidewinder says, but offers no further comment.
"I just want you to know that if you feel like your ideas are not good enough - I want to hear them anyway," Kirika says. "If you feel that Homi-san is too intimidating to reveal your ideas to - know that you can come to me. I want to see you become the best that you can be, Sidewinder, and I want to help you get there if I can."
“Ma’am,” Sidewinder says, “I’m gonna come right out and tell you why that speech doesn’t send me leaping into your waiting arms. I mean, it’s a nice speech, and all that, but we’ve heard that talk before. I’ll give you one guess from whom, and if you get it, you will know why I am not favorably inclined.”
Kirika is shocked. "I...I am not trying to pry you away from Homi-san," she protests. "I..." she scowls and growls to herself. "I am...I simply want to help." Kirika is so flustered that she runs her hands through her hair to slick a few stray strands back behind her shoulders. "I have every respect for Homi-san, and fully intend to promote your accomplishments to Homi-san. He sees the potential in you as well, Sidewinder. I just...I can't see someone like you sitting on such talent and intellect out of a lack of self-confidence and sit by. I want to help, that is all - and we all need to be at our best, and if there is any time to put aside our fears, it is now." She runs her hands through her hair again. "But that is not all! It is not just this battle with Ikishi, I just...you have such potential, and it saddens me to see you hide it from others. I...I cannot simply stand by while others are not living to their full potential - I have to - no, I mean, I simply want to help you, Sidewinder." She huffs and blows her bangs out of her eyes. "This is not for my own glory, it is for everyone's." Kirika sighs and slumps to the grass in front of Sidewinder. "But that is what Ikishi would say as well, isn't it."
“Little less fast-talking at the end, and she’d never go for that self-pity,” Sidewinder says, “but yeah, that’s about the size of it. That’s what she told Cobra, and I know that because a) I was there for half of it, not that either of ‘em knew and b) Cobra had her talking points damn near memorized. Lots of talk about potential and developing and all that. You tell that to someone who feels they can’t do right under Homi, you’re gonna get yourself a convert. I was lucky, in a way, that she didn’t come to me, because I ain’t sure I wouldn’t have been hooked, too - for a while there, sensei and I weren’t seeing eye to eye. But this way, I got to watch it second-hand with Cobra, and...” Sidewinder bites his lip, and for the first time it seems like something’s breaking through the laconic facade. “...and I can’t help thinking, if the damn fool hadn’t listened to her, we wouldn’t have had to kill him. But that’s what Ikishi does, Ma’am. She can use words like wedges. Tells you what you want to hear, what you think you need to hear, makes you feel good like you think you deserve...but it’s all just, well, bullshit.” He looks to Kirika. “I’m not saying you’re her, or that you’re trying to sell me something, it’s just...you’re quacking an awful lot like a damn no-good devil duck I used to know. And that’s got me real on edge and only half listening ‘cause full listening, that’s a fork down a road of ugly, ugly memories.”
"...is there anything I can do to convince you otherwise?" Kirika asks shamefully.
Sidewinder looks away, hiding a little shame himself. “I don’t know,” he admits. “All I can tell you is my trust don’t come cheap, and it might not be worth going after it.”
"I could not disagree more," Kirika quickly replies. "I do not care how this sounds, but I know that you have more to offer, that you could be more than you let your worries and fears limit yourself to, and I...I know what that is like. I know what it is like to hide in my own shadow, and I can not and will not stand by and watch you - or anyone else - squander your talents like I did mine, and that is the truth. I know that you have so much more to offer yourself, not my own glory, because believe me, I have none." She crosses her arms and glares at Sidewinder. "Do not devalue yourself in such a way, Sidewinder, it is not becoming of either what you think you are, or what I know you can be."
“You are one infuriatingly persistent woman, you know that, yeah?” Sidewinder says, rolling his eyes. “Your message that maybe there’s better things for me to do than I’m doing right now has been received. I hope my message that I’m not up for anyone trying to get between me and the sensei is clear, too, I hope. Can we leave it at that, then?”
Kirika nods. "As long as you consider that I am not Ikishi, and that I am humbly -" Sidewinder snorts at that, "- fine, perhaps...insistently but humbly stating that I only want to see you improve and help not only our mission against Ikishi, but yourself? If you are so willing to trust Homi-san, ask him what he thinks. Or ask Toshi, or Yukio. I simply want to help."
“And that’s great, but pulling the whole ‘You need to change’ speech before you even know me, that’s putting the cart before the horse,” Sidewinder says.
Kirika narrows her eyes at Sidewinder. “You lost someone very important to you early in life, and were alone and isolated afterwards - even by ninja standards, so your clan probably cast you out in some way. So, when Homi-san found you and chose you for Shadowwatch, he became more than a father figure to you - he's the only person you've ever known who's given a damn about you in any way. I bet that you sometimes forget what your real name is, and simply think of yourself as Sidewinder - the name Homi-san gave you, the person he made you into. Despite your worries and doubts - and I do believe that you were telling the truth when you said you have been having doubts - it would have been the work of miracles had Ikishi managed to convince you to betray Homi-san. He could probably stab you in the back and leave you for dead, and you would still come back to him, begging for acceptance. And this laid-back, detached persona you adopt is more than just how you want to look to your enemies and strangers - it is a defense mechanism, something that keeps everything away that is not Homi-san, so you do not get rejected like you were by your original clan ever again. Normally, you would simply have rolled your eyes and made some kind of self-deprecating comment or other until I left you alone - or simply lied to me and played along until I left, which means the fact that you're bothering to tell me to fuck off to my face is a sign that you already know that I am being honest with you, and that you know that I won't simply forget about you or that I'll stop trying to play you the instant I get what I want. And that scares you, Sidewinder. It scares you both that you might let yourself care about something that isn't Homi-san, and will get rejected again, and it scares you that I might be right, and that you might have been letting yourself down all this time with this persona you have been hiding behind all these years." Kirika sighs. "I have known all of that, and instead of leveraging even a single bit of it or otherwise using any sort of subterfuge to get you to come along with what I want, I have given you the respect you deserve and been honest with you about my intentions and motives. If you still feel that I am a charlatan and out to drive a wedge in the Shadowwatch and derail our plans to save my best friend and the love of my life, then...I do not know what else I can say." Kirika crosses her arms and glares at Sidewinder.
Sidewinder’s expression oscillates between “How did she do that?” and “What’s her angle?”. Finally, he opens his mouth. “Maybe you’re right,” he says. “Seems you know a lot about loss and wasted potential. Tell you what. Let me get to see you when you’re not trying to convince me. We’ll be seeing a lot of each other on the road. I’ll be making my decision once I’m sure of who you are. Fair?”
Kirka nods. "Fair. So long as you try to remember that I am not Ikishi, that I have just as much on the line as you do, and that I have been honest and respectful to you.”
“You’re wrong about one part,” Sidewinder says, “you’ve got more on the line than I do. If the boy dies, so does the wife, and so do you. Me, I’d follow sensei to the ends of the world - but not into the next. But I respect that you’re going all in. Seems like the only way anything’s gonna work out for us is if we really want it, and I can tell you really want it.”
"And I do, and we will," Kirika says, and stands up. "But you should know that even if we were not on this path together, I would still want to help. You are right - I do know about loss and wasted potential, and even before I thought I was worthy of saving, I felt compelled to help. No matter how difficult -" Kirika smirks, thinking of Youta, "- or mentally...different someone might be, I see potential and I feel compelled to aid others in ways that I denied myself become what they can be, whether that's a master craftsman or a genius with information."
Sidewinder raises an eyebrow at that last one. “Yeah, yeah, I got that,” he says. “What I’m saying is that you can’t substitute your persistence and enthusiasm for my trust. So, I’m sorry, but right now you’re wasting both of our time. I’ll find you when I’m ready to listen. Until then - I’ve got gonnes to clean.”
"And I agree with that," Kirika says, and bows to Sidewinder. "Good day, Sidewinder."
“And a good day to you, Ma’am.” Kirika walks off, while Sidewinder finishes scrubbing down the handgonne. After a moment, he puts it down, looks at the assembled weapons before him and sighs. With a resigned grace, he leans back until he’s lying down, then grabs his hat from beside him and puts it on top of his face.
Gatac 2013-05-05 08:52:08
Kirika’s busy morning continues. She's running back and forth from Yukio's room to the wagon outside, packing her kimono collection into any available spare space - and squirrelling away her cash reserves as well. As she rushes back up the stairs, Yukio intercepts her - with a wordless grin, she grabs Kirika’s hand and drags her along on a trip to a side room. Before Kirika can protest too much, Yukio throws open the door in front of her, exposing the Matsumoto family armory. There are half a dozen suits of armor, one very clearly belonging to the Old Fox, several different styles fitted for Yukio and two that are rather plain and a bit smaller. The walls are stacked with swords, polearms and fine cavalry bows, plus more exotic fare. It seems like Aotaka Matsumoto likes his war prizes.

“Were you going to ride out like this?” Yukio asks, waving a hand over Kirika’s fine silk kimono.
"Yes..." Kirika cautiously replies, and uneasily looks around. "What are we doing in here? Should I be in here?"
“Of course,” Yukio says. “Unless you’ve been hiding a proper suit of armor in your bedroll. You will draw far too much attention in your current getup.” She smiles and knocks her hand against one of the armor suits, a piece of heavy leather covered in lacquered bamboo tiles with strategic metal reinforcements. “Try this one, the size should be about right. Don’t worry, my father had the holes patched, you really can’t tell the damage anymore.”
Kirika carefully steps forward, and runs her hand along it. It feels like, well, it feels like wearing floor tiles, because that's mostly what it's made out of. She looks back to Yukio, who sees fit to add a bit of a history lesson. “This armor used to belong to Lady Tomoe, a samurai of some renown. My father fought at her side during the insurrection at Fallwater, twenty years ago. Unfortunately, the mercenaries had acquired crossbows, and Tomoe fell in an ambush. My father prevailed, but the Lady’s wounds were severe. So he lifted her onto his horse, bound her to the saddle with rope and rode with her through the night, back the holy springs. Alas, she had died on the way there. So he rode further, delivering her body back to her family. They took it as a divine sign that the line of Tomoe warriors should end, and - having no more use for the armor - gave it to my father as a gift. He took it with him and had it restored, and it’s since been part of our family’s heritage.”
None of Yukio's story improves Kirika's apprehension. In fact, she's taken a few steps away by the time Yukio finishes. "Right," Kirika says. "Err..."
“Yes, I know,” Yukio says. “Not my first choice for a fight, either, but it is light and in good repair, and we do not have the time to have a suit made for you. We will attend to that at some point, but for now, we must make do with what we have.”
"That is...not my concern," Kirika says, and carefully reaches out for the armor again, giving it the barest touch with her finger. "What...was she like, who was she?"
“You’d have to ask my father,” Yukio says. “I’m afraid I’ve stopped trying to keep track of all the people he has fought with. I’m sure he can regale you with an hour-long tale of Tomoe.”

It is then that Aotaka Matsumoto pokes his head into the armory. He doesn’t say anything, merely putting on an exaggerated “raised eyebrow” facial expression that has Yukio visibly straining to suppress a giggle. Kirika, on the other hand, has the color drain from her face and she bows deeply and stays down. "Many, many apologies, Matsumoto-sama, I know I am not allowed in here, I will leave at once," she says to the floor.
“Kirika-kun, please get up off the floor,” Matsumoto says. “I do not require an apology from you, but an explanation from my daughter.”
“Kirika does not have her own suit of armor, father,” Yukio says. “My training armor is not suitable for our journey. It is my wish that Kirika wear Lady Tomoe’s armor on our journey.”
“I see,” Matsumoto says. “Kirika-kun, what do you think of the armor? You have had a chance to look at it, yes?”
Kirika cautiously stands back up. "I did not look too closely," she says. "I am...given all of what has happened with me in the last few days, I am cautious about wearing the armor of a dead woman."
“Lady Tomoe was...courageous to a fault,” Matsumoto says. “The armor will suffice, provided that you do not believe that a cavalry charge over open ground is an appropriate method for defeating entrenched archers.” A smile sneaks over Matsumoto’s face. “She was a samurai of many virtues, but her tactical choices were...poor. Still, she fought bravely and brought honor to her family. Even in the throes of the deepest pain, she cut down three rebels who thought to administer the final blow. I understand your apprehension, but it is a fine suit and will serve you well.”
"Matsumoto-sama?" Kirika asks, standing next to the armor. "Does that mean you give me your permission to wear it?"
“It does mean exactly that, Kirika-kun,” Matsumoto says. “This armor was never mine. I was simply holding onto it for a friend. I think she would approve as well, and all sentimentality aside, it is not doing anyone any good sitting in my armory. Neither are the other weapons - equip yourself as you see fit.”
"Oh, I am well-equipped as is, Matsumoto-sama, thank you very much," Kirika says respectfully, her hand resting on Crane's Dance.
Matsumoto eyes Crane’s Dance for a moment. “You would be well-advised to select a less ornate sheath for your blade in any event,” he says. “Surely you have felt the eyes of cutpurses and bandits on your blade before. With as much travel as you are about to embark on, there is a certain wisdom in not attracting that kind of attention.”
"There is not much that will fit my blade, and at any rate, replacing the ornate sheath while the hilt stays as it is will fool no one," Kirika replies. "And...it is how my father left it for me. This is the blade he intended me to carry, and I will carry it how he wanted me to carry it."
Matsumoto nods. “Very well then. I will leave you to your tasks, then. Oh! I have sent my men to the harbor to signal to Olafsen that it is safe to come ashore. I imagine you will want to be present when he arrives here.”
"I will have to help Ueki onto his ship, at any rate," Kirika nods.
“Finish up here,” Matsumoto says. “I will send for you when I receive Olafsen.”
Kirika bows deeply to Matsumoto. "Matsumoto-sama? May you and I speak?"
“Follow me, Kirika-kun,” Matsumoto says.

The old samurai leads her down the stairs to the main hall, hands hidden in the sleeves of his kimono.
“You may speak, Kirika-kun,” he says.
Kirika gulps - of course, he leads her into the single most intimidating room in his palace. "I...err...I love your daughter," she nervously starts.
“I am well aware of that, Kirika-kun,” Matsumoto says with a sly smile.
"And you and I...we have a certain history," Kirika continues, her nerves only increasing in volume.
“We do,” Matsumoto says.
Is he enjoying this? Of course he is. "And I...I just want to know...if I have your approval," Kirika finally sputters out, and quickly bows again. "If I have your approval in carrying on a relationship with your daughter."
“Hrm,” Matsumoto says. They arrive at the bottom of the stairs, and he turns to face her even as she still bows to him. “Stand up straight!” he barks. “Look me in the eye!”
Kirika snaps upright, her eyes wide with shock and no small amount of fear.
“Do you love my daughter?” he asks, meeting her gaze.
"With all my heart and soul," Kirika replies. "I admit as much to anyone who asks -"
“Then say it like you mean it!” Matsumoto says. “You are scared of me and scared of yourself! But I will not permit that in my family. Look me in the eye and tell me that you love Yukio!”
Kirika's eyes snap to Matsumoto's, and in an instant, she goes from fearful to full of fire. "I love Yukio Matsumoto with every beat of my heart," she says. Unlike Matsumoto, her voice is low - but intense and full of passion. "I would rather die than spend one moment without her presence in my life, and I would make every last sacrifice for her. She is all I have ever wanted, and all I shall ever need. Matsumoto-sama, I love your daughter in every possible meaning of the word."

With a blindingly fast move, Matsumoto seizes Kirika by the shoulders, his hands clamping uncomfortably hard into her skin. His eyes seem as focused as a blade whirring through the air to split a hair down its length before they tear up.

“You have my permission!” he barks, and then draws Kirika into a crushing hug. “Welcome to our family, Kirika-kun!”
Kirika doesn't know what to do for a moment, but then returns Matsumoto's embrace as hard as she can in return. "Thank you, Matsumoto-sama," she says, her eyes tearing up as well.
After a few tender seconds, Matsumoto releases the hug and seizes her shoulders again, pushing her away until they lock eyes again. “Remember this moment, Kirika-kun,” Matsumoto says. “Your love is stronger than your fear. This is the only truth you need to know.” With that final bit of wisdom imparted, he releases her and claps her on the back. “Come now! The day is young and you have much work ahead of you. See to it!”
Kirika does something she's never sincerely done to Matsumoto - smile. "Yes, Matsumoto-sama," she says, the inflection suggesting more of a familial than dominating relationship.
Matsumoto smiles back. “Off you go,” he says softly.

Kirika quickly turns to leave - only to find Yukio, whose tears are just about now touching her smile. Wordlessly, they embrace each other.
"Thank you for not listening to me," Kirika whispers. "I always want you by my side."
Yukio silences her with a lingering kiss. Kirika returns it enthusiastically, but after a few moments, breaks away. "Unfortunately, we have to finish packing, my love."
“Mmh,” Yukio says. “We’ll continue that when you manage to escape me.”
Kirika struggles, but not too hard. Yukio grins. “That’s what I thought,” she says, then kisses Kirika again.

Yukio sweeps Kirika off her feet and carries her to a side room as Kirika squeals with laughter. Packing will have to wait a while longer.

---

After a quick snog, it’s back to the grind of packing. Half an hour later, the two women are almost done, enough so that an “almost done” wipe-sweat-off-brow move is called for. Kirika finishes hers just in time to see Shironabe, the mansion’s majordome, approach. He stands in front of her and bows - barely.

“Kamura-san,” he says. “Matsumoto-sama requests your presence in the main hall. Your...guest has arrived.”]
Kirika affords him a bit more respect than he gives her with a proper bow. "Thank you, Shironabe-san." She turns and gives Yukio a peck on the cheek. "I will hurry back as soon as I can."
Shironabe seems to be a little offended at being addressed so respectfully, but what wouldn’t offend him, really? “If you would kindly follow me,” he says.

Kirika nods and does exactly that.

---

Inside the great hall, Kirika finds Matsumoto and Olafsen facing each other at ten paces, flanked by Matsumoto’s personal guard and Red Dragon clan ninjas, respectively. The tension is thick enough to require an iron saw to cut.

“Nice of you to come, Kasumi,” Olafsen says without looking at her. “I was starting to think you lot had been killed, or worse, forgotten about our deal.”
"Never, Olafsen-san," Kirika replies. "Ask your mate, things have been...complicated."
Olafsen averts his eyes from Matsumoto for a moment to take a look at Kirika. “I don’t remember you being this tall,” he says, “or having tattoos. Do you want to catch me up on your ‘complicated’?”
"They were a gift from my father - Ameda Kamura," Kirika replies. "Kirika Kamura, my apologies for deceiving you earlier." She bows to Olafsen. "I believe that catches you up on my complications."
“No matter,” Olafsen says, then gesticulates lazily in Matsumoto’s direction. “Is that the Empress’s father?”
“I am Aotaka Matsumoto,” Matsumoto says. “You may refer to me as Matsumoto-sama.”
“Sure, I’ll sama you all you want, whatever you say,” Olafsen replies. “Tell me about my village.”
Matsumoto smiles. “Before you swear fealty to me, pirate, I would make sure you hold up your end of the bargain. Kirika-kun?”
"Do you have the proof of Lady Ikishi's demands and employment?" Kirika asks.

Olafsen slowly reaches inside his jacket and under his armor, retrieving a pack of folded parchment bound tightly with leather straps. He tosses the whole pack over to Kirika.

“It’s all there,” Olafsen says. “Obviously it’s just what I recorded, Ikishi didn’t exactly send me letters with her official seal - but the names and dates and numbers are all true. I believe that’s my part of the agreement taken care of.”
Kirika looks the documents over - it's all in Hanse. "Toshi!" she shouts. "I need you to read something!"
“I’m coming!” Toshi shouts back. He rushes in from a side room a few seconds later, then his eyes fall on the pirate standing in the hall. “Olafsen!” Toshi exclaims; the pirate smiles and does a mocking little bow with a flourish of his hand.
“At your service,” Olafsen says.
Toshi doesn’t rise to that; he grabs the documents from Kirika and skims over page after page, his expression souring all the while. Finally, he reorders the pages and hands the package back to Kirika. “It’s a lot,” Toshi says, “and much of it we won’t be able to verify. But it’s a lot more than a foreign pirate should know. Many of those names are familiar to me, and the stories I’ve heard line up with what is written here. I think it’s legitimate.”
“Your approval means the world to me,” Olafsen says. “Kasumi?”
Kirika nods to Matsumoto.
“Kneel,” Matsumoto says.

Olafsen smiles and takes a knee; he winces a little from the pain, but manages to get down eventually.

“Olafsen Godrich,” Matsumoto says, “for your service to my family, I wish to name you as my vassal. You shall have command over a village of two-hundred souls, with fertile lands, herds and all the trade conducted on this territory. Do you swear to forsake your old ways and instead serve my command until the end of your days?”
Olafsen nods - it almost looks solemn. “I swear it.”
“Then rise, Olafsen Godrich,” Matsumoto says. “My servants will escort you to your village. I expect you here to report on the first of every month. Do not be tardy.”
“I wouldn’t dare, Sir - Matsumoto-sama,” Olafsen says. He tips his head toward Kirika. “Nice doing business with you.”
"A pleasure," Kirika replies with a nod of her own. "Good luck, Olafsen-san - and I mean it."
“Luck has nothing to do with it,” Olafsen says, then rises back to his feet and walks out. It’s the confident stride of a winner, but everything appears to be in order.
“That was pleasantly straightforward,” Toshi says. “So, what do we do with the ship now?”
“That would be my department,” Ueki says, limping into the room on a crutch. “I’ll go scare up some craftsmen and fix her up. It’s not like I can travel like this anyway.”
Kirika nods and gives Ueki a confident hand on his shoulder. "Good. If you need any help - not that I think you will - ask for me or Matsumoto-sama, yes?"
“Yeah,” Ueki says. “So, I guess this is goodbye for now. Just promise me that when you meet Ikishi, you’ll stick a blade up her ass for me.”
Kirika gives Ueki a gentle hug. "Promise."
“Two, if you can manage,” Ueki adds.
“And another down her throat?” Toshi asks.
“I would appreciate that,” Ueki says.
Toshi nods. “She’ll get what’s coming to her. Take care, Ueki.”
“Take care, Toshiro,” Ueki says. “And you, too, Kirika.”
"And you as well, Ueki," Kirika says with a nod and a smile. "Send me letters - promise."
“I will,” Ueki says. Finally, he hugs Kirika again. “Gods, this is the most sentimental thing I have ever done. I hope you appreciate it.”
Kirika smiles and nods before she lets him go. "I do, Ueki. And good luck."

Ueki nods, the limps towards the exit. As he reaches the door, he rests his hand on the frame for a moment, catching his breath, then continues through it.

“He watched Cobra die,” Toshi says. “I’m not sure it gave him the satisfaction he thought it would.”
Kirika gives Toshi a shocked look. "How? When was he killed?"
“In the night,” Toshi says. “I thought Homi-sensei told you?” He sighs. “No matter. The important part is that he didn’t give up anything about Ikishi. Homi had Sidewinder kill him, and then he and Copperhead...well, it wasn’t exactly a burial.”
Kirika is stunned. "I...wow." She shakes her head. "Poor Homi-san." She sighs, then looks back to Toshi. "How did Ueki see?"
“From a balcony,” Toshi says. “I helped him up the stairs. He said he had to see it, I wasn’t about to argue with him.”
Kirika sighs. "Toshi..." Before Toshi can reply, Kirika keeps going. "No, I understand, but...I have to go to Ueki. I had no idea."
“Go,” Toshi says. “We’ll be waiting.”

Kirika nods, gives Toshi's shoulder a comforting shake, and hustles after Ueki. She catches up with him as he wanders through the palace on his crutches. "Ueki!" she shouts. "Wait!"
Ueki comes to a stop and smirks as Kirika jogs up to him. “You need to work on your ‘goodbye’ technique,” he says.
"Toshi told me about last night," she says with a concerned look. "Are you all right?"
Ueki’s face drops near instantly. “I thought it would help,” he says quietly. “It didn’t.”
Kirika shakes her head and hugs Ueki. "No, it doesn't." Ueki returns the hug with one arm. "Do you want to know what does?"
“What does?” Ueki asks.
"Looking back and realizing you haven't let him own you," Kirika says. "Moving on. He wanted to own you, to lock you in that moment." She squeezes Ueki tighter for a moment. "Don't let him."
“‘kay,” Ueki says. “Kirika?”
"Yes?"
“I’m glad you came for me,” Ueki whispers. “I’m glad you’re my friend.”
Kirika nods. "I'm glad you’re my friend as well, Ueki."
Ueki holds on for a while before he finally lets go. He looks around and smiles self-consciously, obviously trying to get a grip on himself. “So...thank you,” he finally says. “And...goodbye.”
Kirika gives him a peck on the cheek. "For now, Ueki. I promise - and you promise me back."
“Goodbye...for now,” Ueki repeats. “I’ll send you guys the best gonnes. Count on it.”
Kirika laughs. "Toshiba and Takao - and Sidewinder - will appreciate it. Thanks." She bows deeply to him.
“I’m not even joking!” Ueki says. He laughs a little - and it feels good. “Oh, and a flagship! Gonnes and a flagship and if you ever need a proper daisho, I’ll make you a blade, too.”
"And that, I will certainly take you up on," Kirika replies with a smile and a bow. "A blade from the famous Ueki Kogin will certainly stand proud alongside Crane's Dance."
“I’m thinking, Crane’s Smile? Crane’s Feather? Something like that.”
Kirika's smile grows. "Crane's Feather. Smaller, lighter, but an indelible part of the whole. And I'm sure it will be as deadly as its bigger sibling."
“Crane’s Feather it is, then,” Ueki says. “So...this is the real goodbye.”
"For now," Kirika adds yet again.
“The real goodbye for now,” Ueki says. “Goodbye, Kirika. For now.”
Kirika bows. "Goodbye - for now." She turns and walks off, but fails to resist the urge to look behind her a few moments later. Ueki still struggles with the crutch, having the pause every ten steps or so, but he keeps on limping forward. Kirika smiles and watches him go, her heart full of pride for every step he takes before turning around herself and walking off.
Gatac 2013-05-10 14:37:21
With your business in the Forge concluded for the time being, it is time to set out on the road. Travel to the capital will take a good long while, especially along the back roads with stops along the way, but it is the best way to avoid unwanted attention and interference from Lady Ikishi’s allies. Packed into a few horse-drawn carts with some of you riding to the side, you may pass for a trading convoy with a few sellswords as escorts.

Leaving the Forge means leaving behind a lot, at least for a while. The ready support of allies, easy resupply, crowds to get lost in...you will have none of those to depend on, and though you have prepared as well as you were able, you can’t quite shake the unease. Was overcoming Hiro Homi and his Shadowwatch in a sparring fight a sign that you are truly ready for anything, a meaningless gesture with no relevance to a “real” fight, or an ominous reminder that the man responsible for keeping Toshiro alive has lost his touch? And what does Ikishi know and suspect? With Cobra’s refusal to talk, you have only Homi’s own observations and opinions to go on, with all that entails.

And yet - your ranks have undoubtedly swollen, a multitude of foes vanquished and important steps been taken on this road already. You have been equal to every challenge so far. Perhaps this is not the time to fret, but the time to get ready for what lies ahead.