Shinobi 19 - The eagle's flight

punkey 2011-09-12 19:48:01
Kasumi responds to Adler's angry outburst with one of her own. "My money? How long have you been inside here, Adler? He turned against us. I was contracted by Olafsen, but he must have paid the Blue Oni extra to eliminate us as loose ends, that is why I have been running all over this Gods-damned town trying to find him and make him call off his Oni dog. He probably plans to give him both of our territories when this is through, the bastard."

Kasumi rounds on Adler. "This is your fault, Adler. If you could have gotten that stupid ninja out of Kargbeck before it turned into a damned manhunt, neither of us would be in this mess." She narrows her eyes at him. "So, what have you planned to do about it?"
Gatac 2011-09-12 19:50:22
Adler and Kasumi exchange glares for a few seconds. Will he see through her bald-faced lie? Will she hold steady while his own doubts eat at him? And what of the children? Won't somebody think of the children?

(Kasumi's Bluff: 1d20+14 = 26 + 1 Action Die: 1d6.open = 5 VERSUS Adler's Sense Motive: 1d20+12 = 24 + 1 Action Die: 1d8 = 5)

"I always knew this day would come," Adler says. "Olafsen does not care for winners, only for chaos. Masterfully, he has set us at each other's throats - as he will do with the entire Empire, if you let him."

He smirks.

"But you have betrayed another piece of the puzzle - I know for a fact that all of Olafsen's Imperial contracts ran through my scriptorium for translation. He did not contract you, Crane; but he did contract several of your clans. It would not surprise me in the least if you had chosen to work with one of them. Perhaps you are here to retrieve that 'stupid ninja'? You seem as frustrated as I am over the matter; did you not know that they are good at hiding?"

He turns to Aiko.

"If you've a plan to spirit us away, Aiko, now seems an opportune time to reveal it."
punkey 2011-09-12 19:57:41
"I was, before it was made clear that Olafsen and the Blue Oni had collaborated to turn Kargbeck into a deathtrap for us," Kasumi replied. She has to force herself to hold back the relieved sigh from Adler buying her lie. "And now, we have even more eminent issues than Olafsen and the Blue Oni. Holger and his men will not wait much longer. Quickly, I need to know all that you know about the captain of the guards, Van Synt, and his right-hand man, Holger. I do not believe that Olafsen and the Blue Oni turning against us and Van Synt's decision to send Holger and the rest of his men here to kill you are simply coincidence, and suspect that Van Synt might be another compatriot of Olafsen."
Gatac 2011-09-12 21:13:51
"Van Synt is a gasbag," Adler explains, "though in his prime he was a lawman to be feared. Do not worry about him being in league with Olafsen; there could scarcely be a man on God's Earth that Van Synt hates more."
"Why?" Yukio asks.
"Weaker-minded individuals than myself point to the obvious," Adler says. "Ten years ago, Olafsen's crew raided Kargbeck, when it was just a small frontier outpost and Van Synt a lowly guard. His house was burned down with his wife and his children locked inside. And so the story goes. 'Oh, if only Van Synt could act out his frustrated revenge!' What utter drivel; I know the lawman better than the bards struggling for stories of emotional hyperbole, and though he grieved, he would not give himself to vengeance. No, Van Synt does not desire revenge on a killer; he wants to strike down the only serious threat to his own power. He who has the gonnes rules this city, and the magistrates and the major are mere niceties that ultimately yield before the lowly chief of the guard if he wills it. Olafsen can scarcely make Van Synt's power more secure, only threaten it. And what could Van Synt gain from working with Olafsen, if not a way to get rid of him? Surely Olafsen knows this, and thus never the twain shall meet without crossed blades."
"And Holger?" Yukio says.
"The son of patricians, given to vices and lack of discipline," Adler explains. "He spends coin freely and makes a habit of impressing himself upon the rich in this city. But he cannot be corrupted further than he already allows himself, and where the law is concerned, his eyes are sharp. He will gladly share drinks and gamble, but it is foolish to confront him - he does not back down easily, and more than once I have seen him raise the stakes beyond what many men have the stomach for. He sees in Van Synt the man he used to be and hopes he can rise to be again, and follows him as if he hopes that his master can thus be returned to a proper path. I think...Holger considers himself the lawman's son in all but name. He knows of his father's failings, and works tirelessly to ensure none other see them."
Gatac 2011-09-12 21:43:29
Kagemaru pulls the hood of his suit into place. The shadow skin comes alive, sucking the darkness around him close and masking his approach. But will the flickering candles all over the room reveal enough of him to alert the two thieves that stand guard?

(Kagemaru's Sneak: 1d20+13+4 = 34 VERSUS Guards's Notice: 1d20+8+4 = 26)

It takes patience, but Kagemaru works his way down the stairs, around the room and finally behind the guards, using the walls and shadows to maximum effect. They might not notice him climb down the secret passage in the fireplace, either - but that's a chance he won't take.

(Terminal Situation, Kagemaru spends two AD.)

Without a sound, his garotte flies over the first thief's head while his left arm wraps around the neck of the other. With a quick twist of his body, Kagemaru has the garotte'd man back to back, dragging him over his slouched shoulders off his feet for maximum leverage with one arm. The second thief was pulled off his feet by the sudden sweep and is making gurgling sounds as his arms struggle to grab Kagemaru - but behind his impenetrable mask, the ninja is a truly implacable attacker, and soon both men faint from lack of air.

It is, to be sure, one of the flashier techniques invented by ninja master Odom Jen Sen, but Kagemaru has not forgotten his more practical teachings either: he binds the two thieves and drags them underneath the staircase, hoping to conceal them from any passing friends. With the way cleared, he climbs down the hidden ladder in the fireplace, hoping to find where the others have gone.
punkey 2011-09-14 19:44:42
"Then I see an opportunity for a peaceful conclusion this day," Kasumi says. "If I can talk Holger down, then your flock can be spared, but first, you must order them to stand down once I leave to speak to Holger. A show of peace from this side will go a long way towards showing him that his mentor has gone too far."
Gatac 2011-09-14 19:48:49
Adler considers the offer. "Very well, Crane. Work your magic, we've scarcely got anything left to lose. Fair Yukio, I must insist you stay here as insurance."
"So be it," Yukio replies, hand on the hilt of her sword. Her gaze is clear: She will honor the agreement, but try something funny and she'll cut her way out.
punkey 2011-09-14 19:50:39
Kasumi's eyes flash back to anger. "Before I leave her with you, I am told what you know about Olafsen's vendetta against her. Now."
Gatac 2011-09-14 20:21:57
(Yukio's Intimidate: 1d20+9 = 14, raised to 26 via Born in the Saddle VERSUS Adler's Resolve: 1d20+10 = 24)

Kasumi's weightless threat nearly bounces off Adler's cold smirk before Yukio adds her force to it.

"What part of Now is it that you do not understand, you lawless dog!?" she growls. Adler's face hardens, but in his mental math, giving up information seems to win over earning Yukio's ire.
"I provided the Ayami with the contract and the poison they were to use to kill you," he says. "I don't know what Olafsen would profit from your death - surely no treasure can outweigh what he has spent to finance his campaign - but your continued existence causes him much anguish, and more than once he has angrily doubted my ability to select competent assassins."
punkey 2011-09-14 20:24:19
Kasumi settles back down, and puts a hand on Yukio's shoulder to get her to do the same. "Then you are not as much of a threat as you previously boasted," Kasumi says. "Which is good for you. Now, I will take my leave, and once I am outside of the inn, give the signal to your children to stand down."
Gatac 2011-09-14 20:40:41
Adler waves his hand dismissively. "Go and see to it," he says.

Once Kasumi has been led outside of earshot, Adler turns back to Aiko.

"I must correct my earlier statement, dear Aiko," he says. "The right time to reveal your plan is now, with no Crane to meddle in it."
"Do you truly wish to die so dearly?" Yukio barks, genuine anger flaring up in her.
"No, I wish to save lives, same as your friend," Adler says. "My own is most dear to me, and in grave danger - I merely act to save the life I suspect your friend wishes to condemn."

---

True to his word, Holger has held back the attack, but the number of torches in the alleys around the hideout speak to a mass of men chomping at the bit to take down Adler's operation. The child thieves manning the ramparts seem resolute, but hopelessly outnumbered. It only strengthens Kasumi's resolve to see this settled peacefully.

With quick (but not hasty) steps, she crosses the open street in front of the tavern and joins Holger and one of his teams in the alley directly opposite, where a few men up front have positioned large shields made of steel to act as protection against the thieves' gonnes. Holger looks relieved to see Kasumi.

"You took your sweet-ass time, chica," he says. "Now you better have Adler's surrender on the real or we're gonna have to bring the ruckus."

As he speaks, there's movement on the tavern - the thieves on the ramparts are withdrawing, and unarmed thieves walk out of the front door, one at a time.

"For real?" Holger says, peepin' - er, that is, seeing the show. "Damn, chica, what you promise that fool?"
Kagemaru 2011-09-17 21:57:22
Kagemaru quickly hides the two knocked out guards and makes his way down the secret passage.
After a short while he hears footsteps from below. Kage quickly remembers his many training sessions of exactly such a situation and presses himself against the walls to climb up to the ceiling. He quietly waits there until Kasumi and her guard have passed and no further footsteps can be heard.

After reaching the end of the stairs, Kagemaru creeps up to the doorway leading to the room Adler is in. After a quick survey of the room, Kagemaru decides to take his chances to get under the roof. Not an easy task, but a rewarding one if he can pull it off.
Gatac 2011-09-26 21:47:22
(Kagemaru's Sneak: 1d20+13+4 = 32 VERSUS Oh, who are we kidding, none of the bad guys can beat that even on a natural 20. What? Well, okay, fair enough. Adler: 1d20+10 = 11...wtf. Must be cataracts.)

Hanse construction methods being what they are, the ceiling of the underground tunnels is actually made with wooden beams crisscrossing and a small crawlspace above them that is filled with reeds for insulation. Well, should be filled with reeds - one thing Adler evidently did not count on when he recruited kids was that they get into everything, and someone's clearly hollowed out a little hidey hole in the ceiling above this room. But really, that's how ninja get their fearsome reputation - it's not always about being able to disappear into thin air, but often requires an eye for using existing hidden passages to get where you need to go.

Kagemaru crawls silently until he's right over the middle of the room. He just needs to roll off the beam he's straddling if he wants to enter the fray.

---

Outside, Kasumi is busy convincing Holger to stop the bloodshed in potentia.

"Adler is as concerned with the safety of his people as you are with yours," Kasumi says, "and I doubt that any of your men are relishing the opportunity to slaughter a few dozen children."
"They stopped bein' kids when they went jacking shit, then they strapped for a fight," Holger retorts. "No, my crew sure as hell won't dig a fight - but what the hell you expect us to do without pullin' a surrender outta their asses like you just did?"
"I think that you've seen the strength words can have well enough today, Holger. Talking can disarm a situation more effectively than the most skilled swordsman," Kasumi says. "But there is a larger concern. I know this order did not sit well with you, nor your men. What was Van Synt's justification for this slaughter?"
"That Adler's outta control," Holger replies. "We let a lot of shit slide, but look at this crap. His whole gang's heated - what you think they was gonna do with them gats, hold a competition?"

"And a massacre is the solution?" Kasumi asks incredulously. She takes a step towards Holger. "I have seen you enough to know that you are a good man, interested in justice more than simple brutish punitive action. What does this serve more? The interests of justice and the people under your protection, or the consolidation of Van Synt's control?"
"Taking down Adler is justice," Holger retorts. "Chica, I don't know how you do in the empire, but in my hood, there ain't no balance between gangstas and guards. They grow too big, we chop 'em, end of story." Holger sighs. "Look, ain't nobody here to murder kids, dig? But you're dropping some kind of tyranny rap on V-Sizzle and that don't scan, chica. Law and order keeps people breathing, I'm down with that. What's so fucking bad 'bout that?"
"Because law and order is like a fist with a bird in it," Kasumi says. "If you squeeze tightly enough to cut off all crime, you strangle the life out what you're trying to protect. Whether or not Van Synt means to become a tyrant, this brand of justice is not justice. Massacring those you see as threats is not what protectors of the people do, it is the action of someone who wishes to control by fear. And what about killing Adler or his children will stop crime in this city? What about their blood on your hands will prevent Olafsen from striking back? Holger, be as smart as I know you are. Think about your orders. Where in them is justice?"
Holger nods slowly. "Look. Chica. You got a surrender and that's cool, big love. But that ain't something we can do. City guard, we got two choices: let things be cool or roll deep. What you expect us to do with gangstas, girl? You think Adler didn't have a score in mind for all that heat? And it ain't my fault or V-Sizzle's fault that them kids got crooked; that's on Adler. That's why he gotta go down, chica." He pauses for a moment. "And say what about Olafsen? What the hell's he got to do with this shit?"
"Olafsen is behind this whole series of events, from the assassination of Tingarson to leading us to this showdown. Adler told me himself, and it lines up with what my investigation has found." Kasumi nods behind her. "This is another chapter in the battle for control of Kargbeck between Van Synt and Olafsen. And while we both would rather die than leave the city in Olafsen's hands, think about what Van Synt's machinations have lead us to. How many times did his actions promote himself more than the city's peace? I know you've seen it. Think, Holger. Where are his intentions?"

(Kasumi's Impress: 1d20+13+6 = 26 VERSUS Holger's Resolve: 1d20+4 = 13)

"It's a feint," Holger finally admits. "Yeah, Adler had to go get chopped, but we didn't know shit about gonnes until we rolled up. V-Sizzle wanted this loud, because he ain't here. He thinks he's peeped where that ninja's at, and he's rollin' on that right now. He didn't want no public arrest of the killer."
Kasumi's heart leaps in her chest. Gods, Toshi! But she instead uses that panic to fuel her response to Holger. "Then you know how much Van Synt respects the rules that he says he upholds! What about what he is doing is right, Holger? You know that what is going on here is wrong, that what he is doing now is wrong. And you know that he must be stopped. Not killed in the night, like he planned to do to Adler, but brought to justice. Yes?"
"You don't know what you're saying, chica," Holger replies. "We gotta stop him from killing the ninja - we gotta have a trial. But shit, 'bring him to justice'? Yeah, this ain't right, but it don't rate getting hanged."
Kasumi smiles and puts a comforting hand on Holger's shoulder. "That's what 'bring him to justice' means, Holger. Hold a trial and have a fair punishment meted out, not murders in the night. Something that I suspect you will learn much about."
"This ain't the empire, chica," Holger says. "Let me learn you somethin': you don't hold trials if you ain't gonna hang someone."
"Then maybe it is time for you to set a new example," Kasumi replies. "And Adler? His children are merely guilty of having a poor choice of role model, something that I think would land us all in the grave if it was punishable by death, and Adler himself is no threat beyond these walls. Offer him his life in return for exile, and he will take it, I assure you."
"Okay. Fuck." Holger curses to himself in Hanse - boy, are you glad you don't know those words. "Listen, I gotta roll out and stop V-Sizzle if I ain't too late already. I'm gonna come up with how we deal with everyone later - right now I gotta make sure everyone's in one piece, we can philosophize and punish and shit later. Dig?"
"I dig, Holger." Kasumi offers the start of a elaborate handshake that matches Holger's accent and smiles. "Peace."
Holger returns the handshake. "Peace out, chica."

---

Inside, Adler's bald-faced admission of not wanting to wait for Kasumi to come back seems like just the latest cherry on top of his slippery milkshake. Aiko sighs heavily.

"You empire here is done, and while exile into our foreign land is perhaps possible for you, your subjects would flounder and die. You need to release them from your service and turn them onto the mercy of your city. Not least because of what we must do to flee. You have to bring all your spirits and all your black powder into a single space."
"Yes, that should delay them," Adler agrees. "I've an escape route prepared, if you would join me." He looks at her for a moment. "Waste no thoughts on the children. They will be back to normal within the day if I do not tend to them."
Wait, back to normal? What does that mean? "That I do not doubt, Herr Adler," Aiko agrees. "Do you also have some means of returning to your homeland, or are you hoping to find sanctuary in one of the pirate coves and plead your case to this Olafson?"
"I will find shelter in your empire, among a few friends," Adler says. "I shall wait out the storm, gather my strength and then reach out to Olafsen through a messenger. I do not entirely believe Crane's word that he has turned on me, but to entirely dismiss her and trust his friendship blindly is a risk I dare not take."
Aiko rubs her chin as she considers the layout the redoubt. "You're planing on escaping through the temple across the way, I assume? It is closer to the wall, provides access to the rooftops and is less likely to have its sanctity invaded by those persuing you."
"An intelligent inference," Adler nods. "You will understand that I cannot reveal further details with her" - he points to Yukio - "present, but if you wish to join my flight, I will instruct you on the way."

(Aiko's Sense Motive: 1d20+13+5 = 31 VERSUS Adler's Bluff: 1d20+12-3 = 21)

Oh, so predictable. The master thief hardly wishes to have Aiko accompany him; but letting her think that is obviously part of his ploy to goad her into letting him leave. Aiko cannot begin to guess how he plans to get rid of her later, but she probably wouldn't like it.
Gatac 2011-09-27 13:06:26
Some people reward you for the effort you take with them; Adler it seems just isn't one of them. She sighs again. Fine. So be it.

"I cannot leave Kargbeck without reclaiming my sword from my apartment."
"I cannot wait for you, I fear," Adler says.
"Is there one of your people here that you would trust to retrieve it and bring it to a safe place afterwards?" Aiko asks.

"Markus!" Adler calls to the Informant. Whispered words are exchanged, and the Informant hurries off. "Come now," Adler says, "let us arrange the distraction. Fair Yukio, please follow the Crane and do not follow us - my thieves will discourage that."
"My day will come," Yukio says.
"Yes, but not now," Adler counters.
"Yukio," Aiko says, "tell Kasumi and the others exactly what has happened here, that I owe Adler a debt, and that she should not follow us."

(Aiko's Sense Motive: 1d20+13+5 = 25 VERSUS DC 15: Success! Yukio's Sense Motive: 1d20+1 = 15 VERSUS DC 15: Also success!)

After a moment, Yukio nods. Message received: follow the informant. She turns to face the exit and walks out.

Aiko, unaware of Kagemaru's presence, waits for Kasumi's leman to leave. "The explosion needs to obscure the entrance to the escape tunnel."
Adler nods. "I will have my thieves move the blackpowder into position. We should have enough to collapse the entrance to the tunnel, even."
"We shall send your people out when the fuse is lit," Aiko says. "The confusion they generate amongst the constables will give us extra time to evacuate."
"Let me worry about that," Adler says. "Come, we must hurry."

Aiko nods. Bearing in mind Adler's treachery even though she's sure he won't try anything until he's sure he's footloose and fancy free, she makes damn sure that he's always within arms length and preferably not behind her.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-09-27 16:04:08
Black powder... escape tunnel... Toshiba realizes his hiding spot might be ground zero for an explosion before too long, and looks around to see exactly what he's used for concealment.
Gatac 2011-09-27 16:11:09
A quick peek into the shelves next to Toshiba reveals the following items:

- a gleaming white curved spike thing that Toshiba realizes must be some very large creature's tooth,
- gonnes, gonnes, wonderful gonnes...albeit with no blackpowder or shot in sight, and
- crudely whittled wooden horses, some still painted brightly, some dulled, many already worn down to bare wood. Also wooden people, wooden houses, wooden guardsmen...these seem halfway been toy and planning tool.

As for escape tunnels, well, there's the one Toshiba came in through, though that does not seem a very viable escape route with the city guard out in force outside. However, another tunnel leading away to the west seems a likelier destination.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-09-27 16:41:37
Toshiba is relieved. First, he's not hiding in a bunch of explosives. Second, Adler's people would probably have to leave to go get the charges to blow the tunnel. Toshiba hopes Adler's the sort who wouldn't want to stick around while poorly-trained conscripts conduct demolitions work, and would leave sooner rather than later.

It would be decided here, then. Kasumi was not yet returned to pry out Adler's remaining secrets with her silver tongue. Yukio, the only person in these tunnels that Toshiba trusted without reservation, just walked out. For all Toshiba knew, Kagemaru was still watching the exterior. He would miss the Ayami's soft steps and skill at arms for what he was planning.

That left Aiko. Was she leading Adler into her own brand of trap, or was she truly acting as an indebted vassal? And how much did she trust Toshiba? Not much, probably - her bizarre hangups about the Oni were only less tiresome than Kasumi's insistence that Toshiba was being altered. Could Aiko separate Toshiba from the Oni's persona and see that if she meant to bring Adler down, he was her ally? If Toshiba guessed wrong, in the coming moments he would likely be facing Adler and Aiko. It would not be a quiet matter at that point. If Aiko meant Adler harm, then they had a chance to keep this quiet. They could spirit Adler off down his own escape tunnel.

It certainly would be easier with Kagemaru, Toshiba thinks. He loosens his knives and waits.
Gatac 2011-10-06 19:02:24
Aiko and Adler step out of the room into the tunnel, Toshiba readies his knife, and -

Kagemaru makes it easier, hurling two flashbombs into the room full of thieves!

[Due to how the thieves are distributed in the tight room, we'll assume nobody's at ground zero, but everyone's one blast increment away. Flash Bomb damage: 3d6 = 9, take half (rounded down) = 4. 3d6 = 6, take half (rounded down) = 3. Thieves roll against a total DC of 7!

Thief 1: 1d20 = 7 SUCCESS
Thief 2: 1d20 = 6 FAILED
Thief 3: 1d20 = 14 SUCCESS
Thief 4: 1d20 = 12 SUCCESS
Thief 5: 1d20 = 15 SUCCESS
Thief 6: 1d20 = 9 SUCCESS

Something seems to be wrong with those bloody things. Oh well! At least one guy is blinded for 1d6 = 6 rounds. Welp, I guess he looked directly at it.]

The flash bombs produce a lot of flinching, but only minimal flailing. Still, it's enough to cover for Kagemaru jumping down into the room, and then it's on like Donkey Kong.

[Kagemaru uses Quick on Your Feet to make an Ambush check as a free action, rolled against Adler as he's got the highest Notice. Kagemaru's Tactics: 1d20+8 = 21 VERSUS Adler's Notice: 1d20+10 = 14 SUCCESS! You gain a surprise round.

INITIATIVE:

Toshiba: 2d20.hi+14 = 34
Kagemaru: 1d20+11 = 30
Adler: 1d20+10 = 29
Aiko: 2d20.hi+9 = 28
Thieves: 1d20+6 = 24

High rolls all around! Everyone on Team Ninja can take one action - half or full, no splitting - for the surprise round. Aiko and Toshiba are in attack range on Adler, Toshiba has his knife ready as always. Kagemaru is similarly in range for all the thieves in the room. After you've taken your action, normal Initiative plays out. Note that everyone's flat-footed until they've acted or been attacked, so make those Sneak Attack dice work for you!]
Admiral Duck Sauce 2011-10-06 20:15:26
Toshiba stifles a laugh as Kagemaru appears out of the rafters! He had been there the entire time! Not one to pass up a suitable distraction, Toshiba pounces at Adler, his knife darting back and forth in a metal flurry.
Gatac 2011-10-10 18:33:46
Toshiba's feet seem to losen from the ground as he steps lightly, twirling into position to gut Adler with a few deft strokes!

[Toshiba enters Wicked Dance stance.]

Inside the room, Kagemaru picks what feels like the closest thief and lays into him with a barrage of punches and kicks, aiming to reduce the number of threats quickly.

[Kagemaru's Pummel Attack: 1d20+8 = 18 HIT! Subdual Damage: 3d6+12 = 23 equals a DC of 21 VERSUS Thief's Damage Save: 1d20+3 = 5 NINJA BEATDOWN'd!]

Gut, solar plexus, chin - the thief can't even track how quickly he's taking blows, and the wiry ninja seems to bounce the young miscreant between strikes from all directions before finishing off with a snap roundhouse kick that throws the thief against the wall and to the floor, out cold.