Paybacks - Chapter 5: Well, it can't get much worse.

Gatac 2005-02-11 18:36:40
Peter facefaults...

Duplicate request; have already sent one report. Request confirmation that comm channel is secure...
Dieter 2005-02-11 19:00:41
[color=red:72ae6099b3](PRIORITY ONE MESSAGE)
AUTHENTICATION: BETA-TANGO-CHARLIE 734[/color]

[color=blue:72ae6099b3]
Re: Status Report

Communications compromised. Switch to alternate SATCOMM-Relay Channel. New orders will be sent in 3-0 minutes. Disregard any incoming transmissions until further notice.

[end transmission][/color]

Peter's extensive background in cryptography immediately tells him that this isn't amateur hour. He knows the Agency's backwards and forwards and there are few outside people that would have the talent (let alone the resources) to hack into the Agency's satellite feeds.

MI6 and the CIA have the technology, but few able cryptographers. Everyone responsible for designing the Agency's systems has been there for at least 10 years and there is no turnover in that branch. Being paid $250K/year with insane benefits insures they can't be bought and there is an extensive background check for even the janitors (two-year wait on clearances).

There's the private sector. Peter can think of a few people with the know-how to hack into Agency systems, but most of them are either working for one of the big computer companies (IBM, Dell, Microsoft) or sold their dot-coms years ago and are living the good life in Bora Bora.

Then there's the freelance savants they always talk about in Wired and New Scientist. The ones who don't do it for the money but for the glory. Those are the ones you have to worry about.
Gatac 2005-02-11 19:08:19
Peter shakes his head as he looks up.

"Damn, the line was hacked...I tell you, they transfer me from the crypto branch and it all goes to shit. I told them to expedite the Shadownet upgrade, but they all went like 'No, can't do that, we're way over budget', and I told them that they'll spend the same money on extractions and burials...but does anyone listen to cranky old me?"

With his intense stare, Peter looks like he's about to launch into a hateful tirade about IT budget and communications security.
Gatac 2005-02-11 19:25:23
"It means we're making a quick stop at my joint to grab gear and destroy records. Anatoli, you're staying with us until we can get an extraction for all of us. With shit like that going on, I'm not going to leave you alone anywhere you can't get out of."
Dieter 2005-02-11 20:17:22
Crossroads

Coming to a complete stop just short of the rail crossing, the train is met with a full platoon of Red Army soldiers coming aboard.

Jacque opens a door and begins to exit the second to last traincar when he sees two soldiers climbing aboard through the door's glass partition. He stops in his tracks, waiting for the inevitable, but it seems that neither of the men have noticed his egress.

(Edited by Dieter at 8:35 pm on Feb. 11, 2005)
Dieter 2005-02-14 16:22:28
*Stiff-arm to Andropov's chest*

Brian gets the nod from Moten, driving his hand into the the Russkie's ribcage.

It would seem that the pickling effects of years of alcohol abuse has either numbed any sensation to pain or killed the brain receptors indicating that Andropov's having a massive coronary.

The Inspector's right eye twitches slightly followed by his sudden collapse on the limo floor.

---

Ayumi and Carla make a run for the treeline as the soldiers approach. Watching the skirmishers closely, they see that the men are more interested in securing the back end of the train.
punkey 2005-02-14 17:12:18
Moten immediately rolls the fat man over and starts performing something that isn't quite CPR, but sure as hell looks like it. When the drive looks back, all he does is yell one word: "Drive!"
fanchergw 2005-02-14 17:36:13
Seeing the two soldiers approach, Jacques steps back. he moves to the nearest cabin on the side where the two women were and checks out the window. He sees them take off running, notes which direction, then sits down as though he'd been in that seat all along.
Dieter 2005-02-14 17:46:12
Quote:

Quote: from Punkey on 11:12 am on Feb. 14, 2005
Moten immediately rolls the fat man over and starts performing something that isn't quite CPR, but sure as hell looks like it. When the drive looks back, all he does is yell one word: "Drive!"

Surprisingly, the limo driver appears oblivious to Brian's attack on Andropov. Through the tinted glass, Moten sees the man lighting up a cigarette, adjust the radio, and begins rifling through a section of newspaper.
---
The soldiers arrive just as Jacque sits down and assumes an ignorant on his face. Two men enter the room, AKSUs drawn at the ready.

"You! Leave the train now and proceed immediately to the station!"
Dieter 2005-02-15 14:47:13
[color=red:c014c9bd17](PRIORITY ONE MESSAGE)
AUTHENTICATION: FOXTROT-ALPHA-TANGO 112[/color]

[color=blue:c014c9bd17]
Re: New Uplink

Communications restored. We're currently running a trace on the source of the errant messages, but the operation appears to be compromised. No word yet of Agents Osprey, Ibis, and Falconet which would suggest there covers are in imminent danger or have gone silent.

Gatac 2005-02-15 15:13:36
Peter types furiously.

[color=#3366FF:18ad8b00ef]

Confirmed. Emergency protocols are in effect. All sensitive data at safe house will be scrambled ASAP. Once operational security is ensured, we will attempt to recover the other agents.

We have a prototype assault weapon with us; three more crates of what we presume to be further examples of this technology were clearly marked as belonging to the British Government. The crates were destroyed with remote charges when we informed Her Majesty's Ministry of Defense. As far as we are aware, they do not know of the weapon still in our possession; a few snapshots have been sent to R&D for preliminary ID. Please advise on how to deal with the prototype."

[/color]

Peter looks over to Art.

"I hate to say this, but the others haven't reported in yet. It's too early to draw conclusions, but we need to get to my garage, pronto. There's some files there I need to copy and some other files I need to nuke. Not to mention all the gear, which would be a terrible shame to waste like that..."
fanchergw 2005-02-15 17:07:38
As ordered, Jacques rises and moves to leave the train. It seems they're herding everyone off for a general search. Not fun, but shouldn't really cause any problems, either.
Dieter 2005-02-15 18:29:09
The Red Army soldier ushers him off the train and goes back inside as Jacque steps off the train and walks forward to join the procession of passengers heading towards the crossroads.

---

Ayumi and Carla fade into the background, watching the scene unfold before them. Simultaneously, then receive incoming messages on their SATCOMMs

[color=red:3c23fb9790](PRIORITY ONE MESSAGE)
AUTHENTICATION: ZULU-ECHO-BRAVO 635[/color]

[color=blue:3c23fb9790]
Re: New Uplink

Communications restored. Prior uplink compromise by third party. Transmit location and status report ASAP.

---
Brian and Moten stew over their new move, Brian checking his SATCOMM for any new messages. He's shocked to find the [color=red:3c23fb9790]NO SERVICE[/color] indicator light flashing.
threadbare 2005-02-16 23:00:43
To: Home
Status Report

Currently on foot with Agent Ibis. Safe. Cold.

Status of other agents?
CrazyIvan 2005-02-17 02:13:01
Brian lets out a slow exhale.

"Fuuuck."

He shakes his head, checking over both guns calmly as he talks.

"Alright. We're in a now dead FSB officers car, flanked by his guards, surrounded by Russian soldiers and light armor. And, to top it off, our fancy Agency "come hell or high water" phones...or at least mine...have decided to up and die. Clusterfuck."

Despite the calm manner of his inspection of the firearm stock they have, it's clear he's rather tense. The situation with Jess seems to be spiraling more out of control, rather than cleaning up nicely, and at the present moment he's neither redeemed himself for Venice, nor in fact apparently been much use at all. It's clearly starting to get to him.
punkey 2005-02-17 11:04:21
"Well, let's calm down and think about this for a second. I assume you know how to use a knife," Moten says. "Let's prop up the commander, get our driver friend to lower the partition, dispatch him, we'll both deal with the outside guards in a similar fashion, put their bodies in the limo, quickly cover up the blood stains with snow, I hop in the driver's seat and we get back to the freeway and see if we can't meet up with your friends."
Dieter 2005-02-17 15:29:14
Quote:

Quote: from Gatac on 9:13 am on Feb. 15, 2005
Peter types furiously.[color=#3366FF:8fd644495f]

Confirmed. Emergency protocols are in effect. All sensitive data at safe house will be scrambled ASAP. Once operational security is ensured, we will attempt to recover the other agents.

We have a prototype assault weapon with us; three more crates of what we presume to be further examples of this technology were clearly marked as belonging to the British Government. The crates were destroyed with remote charges when we informed Her Majesty's Ministry of Defense. As far as we are aware, they do not know of the weapon still in our possession; a few snapshots have been sent to R&D for preliminary ID. Please advise on how to deal with the prototype."
[/color]

[color=blue:8fd644495f]
Re: Next move

Good job on recovering the stolen weapons cache. I'm sure Thames House will savor the fact that it took two Company agents to do MI6's dirty work. Disable and secure remaining arms in your possession.

Weather conditions in the region are deteriorating, making air travel completely out of the question. Proceed to [coordinates] and await further instructions.

In re: Ivan

An Agency vehicle will be standing by at the rendevous coordinates. Discharge watch over to them upon arrival.

----

Ayumi and Carla impatiently wait for their next message. The soldiers do not appear to moving any further than a few meters past the train. Both ladies study the situation, catching their breaths until they see a soldier hastily exit the train. He seems to be screaming something in Russian to the men working the back end of the train, pointing towards Carla and Ayumi's relative position.

[color=blue:8fd644495f]
Re: Update

Position re-acquired by HQ. Agents Goose and Pelican are safe and standing by in Novosibirsk. Contact with Agent Osprey lost less than 30 minutes ago, approximately 100m east of your current position.

Orders are to proceed to last known position of Osprey and find him. He is accompanied by an operative from the Basement Department going by the name "Moten" (description attached). The boys downstairs would like him alive, though securing Osprey is the primary objective.

----

Moten's plan is viable, its apparent risks not withstanding. Out of the corner of his eye, Brian sees the aforementioned officer (re: the guy who got out of the Jeep in the convoy) walking alone towards the limo. From the relative youthful look and the rank insignia on his coat's epaulets, he's not the General indicated on the jeep he was riding in. Best guess is that he's an adjunct.

(Edited by Dieter at 11:09 am on Feb. 17, 2005)
Dieter 2005-02-17 15:38:33
Quote:

Quote: from Punkey on 5:04 am on Feb. 17, 2005
"Well, let's calm down and think about this for a second. I assume you know how to use a knife," Moten says. "Let's prop up the commander, get our driver friend to lower the partition, dispatch him, we'll both deal with the outside guards in a similar fashion, put their bodies in the limo, quickly cover up the blood stains with snow, I hop in the driver's seat and we get back to the freeway and see if we can't meet up with your friends."

Moten props up Andropov and sticks the vodka bottle in his hand. Brian gets the driver's attention by knocking on the window, his knife at the ready.The partition scrolls down with the driver turning his head towards the back.

As soon as the driver's face comes into view, Brian stabs at his neck, slashing the man's corotid in the process. Blood sprays all over the driver's compartment with Brian grappling the man's head and finishing the job.

Moten watches the Red Army officer approach the limo. He gets within 30m before he is stopped by a few soldiers flailing their arms about in a panicked state.
Gatac 2005-02-17 16:09:08
[color=#3333FF:866d0eaad5]
Roger on securing the weapon. They promised us some bubbly; would be nice if they'd paid up to that. Could definately use a drink.

We'll deliver our passenger.

Request status update on other agent teams.
[/color]

"Looks like they're getting a handle on things. We've got a new extraction plan for you, Anatoli."

He sighs, then goes for a British accent.

"We few, we happy few, we band of buggered."