Bonnie Scotland - Chapter 2: Going Undercover

Dieter 2003-09-08 23:09:04
The chopper lands at the RAF air base in Edinburgh. Waiting near the helipad is a team of doctors and emergency personel.

As the helicopter touches down, they immediately rush for the cargo doors...hospital gurney in tow. After a brief assessment and talk with the SAS medic, they haul Kyun away and place him into an awaiting ambulance nearby.

The prop wash settles down as the rest of the Team disembarks with the SAS soldiers. Lieutenant Oakwood gestures them over to a transport truck.

Piling into the back, the Lieutenant gives them a sit-rep.

"All of you look banged-up in some way. We'll be following the ambulance over to the hospital."
Dieter 2003-09-09 01:46:19
Ayumi sighs and pulls out her USP's.

She reloads and reholsters them.
Dieter 2003-09-09 16:38:30
One of the SAS soldiers (Rank: Sergeant, Name: Appleton) looks at Ayumi's display of gunmanship. He smiles in a sly manner, speaking to her with a bit of a cockney accent.

"Those are migh-y big 'uns for such a petite lady as yerself. Tell me, love, what's a pretty gal like 'ou doin' wit that kinda 'ardware? You won't be needin' those now, love...you're now wit the boys from 'ereford."

The rest of his squad begin laughing as the transport pulls into hospital driveway.
CrazyIvan 2003-09-10 02:58:41
Brian, leaning against the side of the truck, opens one eye and eyes the mans uniform.

"Appleton, save it for a pub. The lady is frightening good with them. And besides, you don't know that she won't need them. Or did the boys not tell you about what we did to Vegas?"
CrazyIvan 2003-09-10 09:43:32
"Frightening good, eh? Thanks, Brian," Ayumi says, "But from reading the reports, it's not what the team did to Vegas that makes me nervous. It's what Vegas did to the team.

"Still, if the 'boys from 'ereford' shoot at all like you, then I think I feel a little safer."
Dieter 2003-09-10 16:25:57
A week passes with the team recouperating at the safehouse outside of Edinburgh . The doctors report that Kyun's condition has improved, but his recovery may take some time.

During the downtime, Ian flies back to London and briefs MI-5 on the near-fatal attack outside of Edinburgh. On a foggy Scottish morning, he arrives at the safehouse with the renewed support from Five and his orders.

"Good morning all. I trust you have rested up and are ready to proceed with the business at hand. Here are your orders, hot off the press from your Agency and Five."

Ian uploads the orders into the Agents' SatComs.*

From: Thomas Lewis, MI-5 Director (Northern Sector Operations)

Proceed in infiltrating the "Guy Fawkes" organization. Five has determined that while the attack outside of Edinburgh was deliberate, it was only directed toward Agent Hobart (Ian). Identities of the Agency operatives were not compromised.

Jane Heath, and informants inside the Fawkes group, states that the attack was ordered by Diane Catesby. That would suggest that she is local. Catesby never likes to be too far from the operations. Agents are to meet with Heath at the earliest time possible.

Mission is designated [color=yellow:0d091ba656]Yellow[/color].

Requisition of appropriate gear will be carried out by Agent Hobart.

*SatComs=Satellite Communicators (the Agency phone/PDA thingies)
Dieter 2003-09-11 00:03:15
"Condition yellow, ne? Looks like we'll be cleared to check out some decent toys."
Dieter 2003-09-11 05:24:53
Ian nods.

"Just write me up a store list and I'll place the order. But remember, you're in the UK now...so none of that cowboy-walking-around-like-a-gun-toting-vigilante nonsense....OK? We do have a sense of decorum that you Yanks seem to have forgotten in the past two-hundred years of independence."
threadbare 2003-09-11 06:04:27
"I'm covered. I don't need to tote guns."

Carla does make a few mental note for requisitioning, however.

"You know, I can cook and wait tables and all that. Maybe I could get a job somewhere they go all the time."
threadbare 2003-09-11 09:31:46
"Wait, code Yellow? Never mind, I had my English mixed up for a second. It's just as well that I won't be needing much." She pats her gun rig under her coat.
Gatac 2003-09-12 15:58:15
Jess sighs.

"Anyone notice that it's always Code Yellow in the Briefing, but Code Black in the debriefing ?"
Dieter 2003-09-12 16:04:41
Quote:

Quote: from Gatac on 8:58 am on Sep. 12, 2003
Jess sighs.

"Anyone notice that it's always Code Yellow in the Briefing, but Code Black in the debriefing ?"

Ian chimes in as he looks over the requisition lists.

"Standard Agency procedures, if I remember correctly. That's why I got out your business a few years ago and joined Five. It's a bit ironic that I'm back in the fold, don't you think?"

The lively conversation is interrupted by a knock on the thick oak frontdoor of the safehouse.

Ian doesn't flinch as everyone else goes into paranoia mode. He puts down his Sat-Comm, taking a sip of tea as he gets up from the table. Ian pulls out his sidearm, quietly asking to the Team.

"You weren't expecting anyone, were you?"

(Edited by Dieter at 10:51 am on Sep. 12, 2003)
Gatac 2003-09-12 16:13:58
Jess readies the MP7, then aims at the door.

"Does that answer your question ?"
Dieter 2003-09-12 16:30:22
"Indeed."

The Englishman takes the safety off his Walther and heads for the door. He does the ubiquitous "you know what to do" signal.

Ian opens the door with lightning quick reflexes, driving the barrel of his pistol into the forehead of the knocker.

The knocker immediately replies with a grimace then a rather relieving commentary.

"Jeezus all migh'y, Ian! You could 'urt someone! Do you greet every caller at yer door with a 9mm to the face???"

The intensity of the moment quickly subsides as Ian drops his aim, clicking the Walther over to safe mode. He rolls his eyes, opening the door as a rather pudgy man with ruddy features enters the safehouse. Ian closes and locks the door behind him as the unknown man takes off his knit cap and wipes his feet.

"Ladies, gents. This is Charlie McTaggert. Him and I are old friends."

Charlie retorts.

"Yah. But he used ta not put a gun in yer face when yer knocked on his door. What the hell happened to, Hello, Charlie...how ya doin'???."

(Edited by Dieter at 9:31 am on Sep. 12, 2003)
Dieter 2003-09-12 19:03:27
Ian grabs Charlie's coat, then heads back into kitchen, sitting back down at the table.

"Nothing to fear, Charlie's been a bottomless source of information to Five and the Agency for the past 20 years..."

A few moments later, Charlie files into the kitchen after taken a pit-stop at the lavatory.

"Nothing like a good piece of haggis to clear out the intestinal track...(nudging Artis) am I right?"

He hears the tail end of Ian's biography of himself.

"Aye! And your employer has allowed me to winter in St. Lucia and be chin-deep in vintage whiskey. Speaking of which..."

Charlie opens up a cupboard, pulling down a bottle of the local spirits then taking a seat across from Ian.

(pours a shot, then throws it back)

"Aaaaaanyhoo...the why of my impromptu visit. I was in the Red Rooster last night downing a few pints when in walked a couple of lads who sat down at the table next to me. Normally, I'd pay no mind...but when they mentioned yer name, well...my ears perked up a bit. Apparently they, in some part, were responsible for yer little accident on the A1 last week."
Gatac 2003-09-12 19:07:16
"You wouldn't happen to have a videotape of them, or ?"
Dieter 2003-09-12 19:32:15
"Ah...no lass. Unlike alot of my countryman, I don't have a penchant for videotaping* complete strangers. They did mention a name...Byron McLaren."

Ian jumps in.

"Byron McLaren is a known cohort of less-than-reputable businessmen. He mostly deals in small arms, but it appears he's expanded his clientele and wares."

Charlie throws back another shot of whiskey.

"...and he's filthy cheat at cards and darts, which makes him more despicable than most publicans. I know that he runs a tackle and sporting shop in North Berwick...overlooking the Firth."

Ian pulls out a map of the area..

"North Berwick is as good as place as any to start the surveillance. I should be able to get your equipment here by tomorrow. Nice job, Charlie. Is it safe to assume you'll want your negotiated fee deposited in the usual account?"

Charlie grins.

"Aye. Pleasure doin' business with yer...as always."

(picking up another full shotglass)

"Cheers! Now, I best be on my way."

Ian turns his attention to Goose.

"What sort of vehicle will you be requiring for this detail?"

*Re: Simpson's Episode 2F06, Homer Bad Man
CrazyIvan 2003-09-13 02:31:23
Brian watches the exchanged, more than a little amused. Several jokes come to mind about MI5's...unusual...informants, come to mind, but he keeps quiet until the Scotsman leaves.

"I suppose the usual SAS solution...knock down the door, set a gernade and give the chap a round to the forehead would lack a certain...finesse?"
Dieter 2003-09-13 05:05:16
Quote:

Quote: from CrazyIvan on 7:31 pm on Sep. 12, 2003

"I suppose the usual SAS solution...knock down the door, set a gernade and give the chap a round to the forehead would lack a certain...finesse?"

Ian looks up from his SatComm as he finishes uploading the equipment requests.

"As much as I like that solution, the people working for Fawkes are not your garden-variety IRA militant with a pipe-bomb hidden underneath their mattress. These people will shoot the first three men entering the premises then blow the place up for spite. This operation will require a degree of subtlety, your Team's prior experience suggested you have a certain amount of descretion. However, keeping that in mind...I'm sure there will be a time in place for your brand of SAS thuggery."