Shinobi - Outfoxed

Gatac 2000-01-01 00:00:00
IC 4
Gatac 2010-01-06 21:51:52
The day-long trek on the trade caravan back to Golden Harvest has given Kiara some much-needed rest and downtime to recuperate from her injuries. Riding on the back of the wagon, she keeps to herself and makes only sparse conversation. The mission - to kill Little Fox - remains foremost in her mind. Kiara keeps her weapon close, staying alert against thieves and bandits, but none come after her or the caravan in particular.

Back at the small farming village known as Golden Harvest, the caravan drops her off at Yukio's and Toshi's house with no great fanfare; Yukio returns an hour later from the fields to find Kiara sitting outside, waiting. Yukio quickly bids Kiara to come inside, and after some reluctance, the ninja allows Yukio to inspect her wound. Against the odds, it seems to be healing well. Nevertheless, Yukio disinfects the wound again and fixes a fresh dressing.

The next day, Kiara awakes late to find Yukio already gone to the fields, but with a pot of hot tea and a dish of rice with some chicken strips for breakfast. Kiara eats, then occupies herself cleaning up. Yukio returns in the afternoon, glad to see the ninja back on her feet and looking better than when she arrived.

Unbeknownst to either of the two, it is at this hour that Kagemaru, Kasumi, Toshiba and Toshi set off from the Forge to join them.
Nevina 2010-01-07 01:39:29
As if the trip back to the Golden Harvest village wasn't agonizing enough, Kiara found herself with an abundance of time and only a pinch of patience. Her persistent need for action was one of her many flaws frowned upon back in the clan (memories of failed meditation sessions came to mind, where she tended to sneak out when all their eyes were closed to try and find Kage to tackle from behind. But hey, at least she learned a ninja's stealth at an early age, despite her eagerness bringing the aforementioned stealth to an early end), so for now she attempted to keep herself busy by helping out Yukio to at least keep herself out of trouble.

When she ran out of chores to do, Kiara managed to find a routine that was comfortable despite her healing wounds. Mostly stretches to keep her limbs loose, though she tended to push the limits of 'stretching' when it became an air-born performance with the trees as her audience. At least she managed to discover a few motions that limited the use of certain muscles while maintaining decent energy flow, all to avoid excessive abuse to her wounds.

Kiara kept her ears open for rumors from the villagers, though they felt separated enough from the rest of the world that most talk was mundane in nature. She vowed to herself that the next time two men complained about how their cow trespassed into the other's field, that she would go out and stab the thing to solve the problem.

The ninja found her way back into the kitchen, eying the new pot of rice that would be for lunch, though she dared not touch it. Her faith in her own cooking wasn't exactly of the professional culinary rankings. With Yukio around, however, she did manage to learn how to make a mean cup of tea, which she promptly set about to create. Her fingers had been itching for something to do yet again, but mostly she was worried for her comrades. It was tempting to head out and find them now that she wasn't constantly pale with fatigue (excluding her normally pale stature), but she knew it would be foolish. Without any updates, she might jeopardize the mission or simply miss them in different roads.

So for now she sat to watch the water boil. If determination in a stare held any physical properties, the water would have evaporated by now.
Gatac 2010-01-07 18:33:09
Kagemaru, Kasumi, Toshiba and Toshi arrive in Golden Harvest at noon, with the sun high above them and the fields glittering in sunlight. Word of their arrival spreads fast; by the time they head into town proper, there's a small crowd of neighbours and acquaintances who welcome Toshi back. They must have heard of his troubles with Matsumoto, and despite his not always stellar sense, it seems that enough people like him to welcome him back and or at least pretend to. However, the big event is Yukio, who's still dressed in a dirty kimono, having hurried over from the fields. She charges Toshi and grabs him into a crushing hug; Toshi reciprocates after a moment. The crowd smiles, and one by one disbands. Back to the grind.

A few seconds more and Yukio lets go of Toshi again. Her face is one of relief.

"Hello, Toshi-chan," she says with a beaming smile. "I was hoping you'd come back soon! Kiara already told me that you have the horses back. Did everything go smoothly with Matsumoto-sama?"
"That problem is solved," Toshi says wearily. "No more worries."
"That's great!" She looks past Toshi. "Hello, Kagemaru. And who are your new friends?"
"This is Kasumi-kun," Toshi says, nodding to the geisha. "She's an old friend of mine." Yukio eyes her suspiciously but bows as courtesy demands. "And this is Toshiba-kun, an old friend of Kagemaru's."
"Heh," Yukio says, back in good spirits. "Toshiro and Toshiba, this could get confusing." She sees the stubble on Toshiba's face and smiles politely. "You must all be tired from the journey. Come! We'll make some lunch, I've taught Kiara how to cook!"
punkey 2010-01-07 18:46:01
After Yukio runs back to the kitchen, Kasumi looks to Toshi. "I'll leave it to you to ask, but we have to get to the bottom of this sooner rather than later, Toshi. We might not be the only ones looking for her."
Gatac 2010-01-07 18:49:39
"To be honest," Toshi whispers, "now that I've had time to think about it...Kagemaru and Kiara are friends now, but they found us so easily when the whole trouble started. I don't want to know how easy we it would be for another Ayami to come here and kill us all in our sleep."
Gatac 2010-01-07 23:59:39
Toshiba smiles at the promise of food. The threat of death by ninja seems distant now, and he simply keeps smiling at Toshi's paranoia.

"They probably wouldn't kill all of us," he replies.

Inside the Mohime house, Kiara awaits with tea and rice. After the initial greetings are exchanged, Kiara and Yukio set to making more food to put on the table.

(Insert Mark Dacascos shouting "Allez cuisine!")

After the first bowl of rice has taken care of the immideate culinary needs, the murmurs grow louder. As the nominal head of the household, Toshi bids Yukio to close the door and all the windows, then raises his voice.

"My friends," he says, and looks to Yukio for a moment, who has a baffled expression on her face. "I thank you all for being here. But, uh, we really need to talk about this 'Little Fox' business."
"What are you -" Yukio says, but Toshi cuts her off.
"They're Ayami," Toshi says. "So, ah, I think that's the important cards on the table, huh? The Ayami want 'Little Fox' dead. What do we do now?"
punkey 2010-01-09 09:26:17
"We first need to know more about what's going on here," Kasumi says. "If Yukio really is the Little Fox that the Ayami are hunting for, what she might have done or who she knows who would want her assassinated, these are all important things we must settle first."
Gatac 2010-01-09 12:30:23
"I will not be spoken of as I am not present," Yukio says. "Toshi, how is it that you have uncovered that these people are hired killers and still led them into our house as guests?"
"Uh," Toshi stammers, "Yuki-chan, I thought -"
"Enough," Yukio says. "I know your answer. You think they can help us."
"They can! You should have seen them in action, they're amazing! Uh, almost as good as you, Yuki-chan."

The corners of Yukio's mouth twitch.

"What does it matter to anyone what I have done?" she says. "Hired blades seek profit, not justice. And even if I were to believe that I am sharing a table with the most moral assassins in all of the land, there are a hundred more waiting in the shadows, ready to do what you will not do."

She looks to Kasumi.

"So what of it? I've no insight to share with you, other than that I know of death's hand reaching out for me."

[1d20+8 = 28] (Kasumi's Sense Motive, Crit activated!)

The steel in Yukio's voice rings mostly true to Kasumi's ears. There is an undercurrent of fear, though. The way she speaks of the threat against her, it seems clear that this is not a new problem, or that the Ayami are the only ones who are after her.
punkey 2010-01-09 13:02:43
"Yukio, we have not had the pleasure of meeting before. My name is Kasumi Kagawa," Kasumi says, bowing slightly in Yukio's direction, "and I am not Ayami. I am here merely to help Toshi out, as I did when we were both working at your father's manor. I promised to help him get out from under the trouble he put you both in after stealing your father's horses, and now I have promised to help resolve this matter in a way that leaves you still drawing breath."

Kasumi takes a sip of tea, then continues. "Not that this threat is new to you, Yukio. You seem awfully calm for someone who's just been told that there is an entire ninja clan tasked with ending your life. Unless this is not news to you at all, and that the threat is much greater than you would like us to believe."

She puts down her cup, places her elbows on the table and leans forward, resting her chin on her hands as she looks Yukio in the eyes. "Tell us, what is really going on here? What exactly did you do to earn you a death mark so severe that you had to abandon the relative safety of a guarded mansion to escape it? Who are you, really?"
Gatac 2010-01-09 17:16:41
"Working at, not with or for?" Yukio asks with a smirk. "How is it that such a manipulative and cold-hearted profession attracts such romantics, that they would dare to marry a woman of my stature" - she glances at Toshi - "or promise a gentle heart salvation from his troubles with full intent to deliver? I do not know all your schemes, Kasumi Kagawa. But I know that you do not aim to bring ruin to the Old Fox, or he would have your head. And I know that you do not aim to bring ruin to me, or we would be having this conversation with my blade to your neck."

After a moment's pause and a sigh, Yukio shakes her head softly.

"The threat is not a new one," she confirms. "But it is shapeless. Rogues and murderers have stalked my steps since I became of age and returned to my father's home from the academy. Those we caught I made choose between the sword and the truth. Many chose my blade, but even the few who were willing to beg for their lives knew not from where the order came. I grew tired of asking, and when the torrent of souls bound to my death would not be quelled, I grew tired of fighting, too, and fled. I had not cause to fear for my life in the months that we lived here, my Toshi and I, but now this too is lost."

She looks Kasumi dead in the eye.

"What have I done, indeed? I have endavoured to become my father's equal both in court and on the battlefield at his own bidding, and I have found a gentle soul to love. In your learned opinion, Kasumi Kagawa, does there exist a wise man's book that condemns either?"
punkey 2010-01-09 20:30:16
Kasumi resists the urge to simply burst out in laughter, and merely smiles. "So, you have become your father's scion, if not his equal in combat, a man who was known throughout the Empire for being a fierce and unstoppable warrior, and have had the audacity to do so as a woman."

She shakes her head at Yukio's naiveté. "This might be an open-minded era, but surely you can imagine that there are those who would want you dead on general principle, let alone those who want you dead as a preemptive attack, as a disruption of your father's affairs, as revenge for his actions or for your own, out of jealousy of whatever position you occupied at your family position at this academy, or simply a manner of self-defense before you turn your gaze to them?" Kasumi asks, ticking off her points on her fingers as she says them. "Books might not condemn what you have done, but trust me, Yukio, in the real world, there's plenty of people who do."
Gatac 2010-01-09 20:39:47
Yukio sighs.

"I did not spend five years at my father's home waiting for the assassins to sneak in. I talked to couriers, sent envoys, paid spies...all to see if anyone had spoken the word against me and betrayed themselves thusly, but found nothing. Many are those who do not have kind words for me, Kasumi Kagawa, but none had the motive or the means to fight such a sustained shadow war against me. If it was a man, a woman, a clan...I would have found out, or my father. But instead, all we found when we struck the shadows was more darkness and smoke. There is nobody behind the curtain, certainly none that we could find."
Admiral Duck Sauce 2010-01-12 17:38:32
"I would have originally guessed that your enemies meant to strike at your father through you," Toshiba says, "but given their persistence and formlessness, this seems like something personal. Nobody takes that much care to hide themselves if they're only being paid. I find Yukio's goals and actions as odd as anyone, I'm sure, but I do not want her dead on principle."
Gatac 2010-01-14 18:07:19
"It really all started with the academy, didn't it?" Yukio says.

"The Imperial War Academy," Toshi adds.

"It used to be Clan Azma's fortress," Yukio says, "to the South of here, across the mountains. Young nobles go there to be trained in the arts of fighting and etiquette, to become samurai...serve the Emperor's Legions for ten years after that, and you can gain your own title if you distinguish yourself. Most young daughters do not go there - and of those that do, many fail. But with my father's guidance, I prevailed. I was trained with the sword, the bow, the spear, how to ride, how to wage a war and how to conduct myself with honor in all things. I was 18, then, ready to graduate, when I met my Toshi. He was a vagabond, skulking around the area, making his money as an entertainer."

"I wouldn't call myself a vagabond..." Toshi interjects.

"You were living on the street," Yukio chides him softly. "And you were a good friend. Then, the Emperor disappeared. Everyone who graduated would be pressed into service...not under the Emperor's generals, but in the employ of the court, to keep the peace in the capital. I...I did not think that was a worthy task, so I left. I said I did not wish to graduate..a technicality, but it won me my freedom. I threw it all away. 12 years and I threw it all away for a feeling in my gut that it was not the road I should be traveling on."

"You should've seen her," Toshi said, "walking out of the academy in her civilian clothes, head hung low."

"And you came with me," Yukio says. "Toshi came with me, on the journey back to my father's home. He said it didn't matter where he begged."

"What can I say?" Toshi shrugs. "I knew of her troubles, and her father. I couldn't let her go back and face him alone. So I came. As a friend, you understand..."
Kasumi's eyes narrow at the mention of "honor", but she lets it slide. "And at the academy, you did well?"
"I was asked to lead a display of the spear class for the headmaster himself," Yukio says proudly. "So...I did well, yes."
"And do you know whom you likely would have been in service to after graduation, whose little fiefdom you would have been defending? I know how the court likes to use their soldiers for their own personal ends."
"They would not even grant us the honor of serving a lord personally," Yukio says. "We would have served at the discretion of the Imperial Court...answered to a bunch of bureaucrats."
Kasumi grimaces again. "So, you take years of training at the most prestigious war academy in the Empire, something nobles all over the islands would kill for, and then throw it all away, spitting in the face of not only your father, but the Court and the nobles you would have been serving, but the academy itself, who probably know a thing or two about killing people themselves, and you have no idea why someone would want you dead?"

Yukio's eyes bore a hole through Kasumi. "And resort to legions of assassins to resolve their grievances?"

"Like you said, you didn't technically do anything wrong," Kasumi says. "The Court and the nobles can't take direct action without it being a declaration of war against your father, who still has a lot of power, and the academy can't go after you because you followed their rules. This way, it looks like you just did something else...ill-advised, and you were killed for it, something that I doubt the many, many enemies you've made would feel a burning need to investigate. Your insult is responded to, and everyone lets the matter just float on by."

Yukio just stares at Kasumi, as if looking for a reason to rip off her head.

"It makes sense," Toshi says. Yukio's gaze snaps to him but softens immeasurably on the way. "Yuki-chan, please. Kasumi-kun is much more experienced in these things than either of us. And it gives us a place to start looking for your enemies."
"Or rather a dozen places," Yukio says. "Aside from the noble clans that had heirs in my class, this also puts the school and the Court itself under suspicion."
"It puts them all under suspicion," Kasumi says. "Yukio is right about one thing, these attacks are too numerous and their source too mysterious to be just one noble with a grudge. I wouldn't be surprised to find that more than one noble, or possibly the entire Court are conspiring against her. But at least it gives us a place to start. The 'honor' of your actions certainly hasn't stopped them yet."
"Great," Yukio says. "So we've gone from suspecting nobody to suspecting everybody."
"The mark is out there somewhere," Kasumi says. "It's hard to narrow down a list without one to start with. So, think back to when you told the academy and the Court that you were quitting. Who there seemed the most upset about the news?"
"Upset?" Yukio asks. "Kintaro - the Okitage heir - was in a foul mood when I confided with him, but I believed at the time it was his disappointment that we would not serve the Emperor together. Nagi was the angriest - she was the only other woman in our class and had worked very hard to keep up with the expectations. I heard a rumor she almost quit herself when she was 14...oh, and then there were Teifu and Rotton, the twins from Hagetaka. We had never seen eye to eye, and they cursed me as a coward when it was announced that I had stepped down. The headmaster at the academy seemed more surprised than disappointed, but he did not hesitate in granting me leave. Of the others, I do not know their attitudes...I left quickly because I doubted my own strength in staying the course if I stuck around to talk to everyone. I certainly do not know how my tale was spun when it reached the ears of the nobles and functionaries at the capital."
"Hm." Kasumi leans back slightly and rubs her hands together in thought. "How connected is the headmaster? How much does he keep track of his former students?"
"Headmaster Oa prides himself on his memory," Yukio says. "Nobles who employ the graduates of his school often seek his opinion, for it is said that he knows the path of each student the moment he lays eyes on them. I would think he is in regular correspondence with the great noble houses and that they must speak at length about his former students if he is to advise them."
"Then he sounds like someone we should ask about who wants you dead, yes?"

"I did not dare write to him, much less face him," Yukio says. "I had failed him. What you are saying makes sense, but...I do not know if I can go back and talk to him."
"He won't just talk to us as three random strangers walking into his academy, Yukio," Kasumi says. "In order for us to get anywhere with this, you're going to have to face him, see how much that 'honor' means to you."
"Your advice is sensible," Yukio says, "but I will brook no insult to my honor from a thief."
"If I were you, I'd worry less about your precious honor and more about watching your back, because that's what is really at risk here," Kasumi shoots back.
Admiral Duck Sauce 2010-01-14 20:04:17
"I will help, if you'll have me," Toshiba pipes up. "I do not care for the court or their puppet-games, nor do I care for the power-hungry lords, but I do know what it is to step off the path you were trained to follow and find your own way in the wilderness."
Nevina 2010-01-14 21:23:19
Kiara had listened to the tale in silence, her face an emotionless mask despite the varying waves of surprise, anger, and sympathy that she felt. She cast her eyes briefly at Kage, arching a brow before turning back to the woman who had cared for her. A weight fell across her shoulders as if an iron cloak had been laid there, a frown lightly flitting across her lips. All this time and she had never noticed. She had attributed the other woman's muscle to farm life and had never bothered to look any further.

"I will go with you as well." Kiara finally spoke, her face neutral once again. If this woman was indeed the one they were supposed to kill, then she couldn't leave her side. Whether they could get the hit lifted, or if it had to be completed for their mission, Kiara was willing to follow through.
Gatac 2010-01-18 22:55:35
"Then we should not waste time in preparing our departure," Yukio says. "Eat. You must all be tired from your journey. I will collect my belongings in the meantime."

---

It is early afternoon, after everybody has had a chance to eat up and rest a little, and the final preparations are underway to travel south to the Imperial War Academy. Yukio has procured a horse-drawn wagon for the ninjas, Kasumi and Toshi, while she herself has a rather more well-bred steed as a lone ride-along. To add to the strangeness, she calls Toshi into her quarters for the last half-hour to help her with something. When you see her again, she steps out of the house dressed in a heavy kimono topped by layered cavalry armor, with the distinctive black-silver trim of Matsumoto's. Her obi holds a sword sheath at her side, and she's carrying a long spear in her hands.

"We must make haste," she says. "I hope the show of force will keep the lesser bandits away."

Kasumi rolled her eyes when she saw the horse that Yukio insisted on riding, but she held her tongue. Now, with her fully decked out in armor and carrying enough weapons to take on a small Imperial Army unit, she can't stop herself from quietly laughing and shaking her head. "That it will, Yukio. Your assassins, however, might appreciate the assistance," she says as she continues packing her bag for the trip.
"Finding me has never been their problem," Yukio says. "I prefer being ready to take them on to vain attempts at subterfuge."
"Only vain because they did not seem to see fit to include it in your training," Kasumi says, and goes back to her packing. "But no matter. You do what you want, Yukio."
"How gracious of you, Lady Kasumi," Yukio replies.
Kasumi looks back to Yukio, venom in her eyes. "Don't call me that. Just...just get packed so we can leave and this...ridiculous parade can get under way."
"Then I suppose 'painted harlot' will have to do," Yukio says.
"Better than some noble title," Kasumi mutters.
"Indeed," Yukio says. "Call yourself lucky on this day that you are not of noble blood. If you were, I would be forced to demand satisfaction of you for your continued insults. As it is...do not test my patience."
Kasumi dismissively shakes her head. "Don't do anything to test mine, and there won't be a need to."

Yukio's grip on her spear tightens, but a quick look at Toshi's facial expression tells her that this is not the right time or place to fight. Without another word, she walks past Kasumi, climbs up onto her steed and trots it a few feet forward.

"Oh, Yukio, one more thing," Kasumi says as Yukio brushes brisquely past her.
"What?" Yukio snaps at Kasumi. "What is it now?"
"Do you want the overly-eager servant - 'Oh, yes, mistress, right away!' - or the disapproving matron - 'Step faster, dear, or we'll never get there in time' - for the ride there?" Kasumi asks. "As my cover."
"Leave me out of your lies, harlot," Yukio says. "I've no stake in your ridiculous plays."
"Playing it by ear, understood," Kasumi says, and ties her bag shut with a vigorous yank.

---

The small convoy moving south out of Golden Harvest is met with decidedly less public cheer than your arrival earlier that day. The few peasants who would have smiled and waved to Yukio just hours ago now bow deeply as her horse trots past them on the streets.

It would be interesting to see her facial expression at this moment, but she keeps her horse ahead of the wagon and doesn't look back as you leave the small village behind.

---

Duty weighs heavy on Kiara. Do what is necessary. Time will tell if Yukio and Toshi are quickly-made friends in dire straits or legitimate targets trying to stave off the inevitable.

-

Kagemaru considers his future. He seeks the thrills, matching his abilities against a world worth of challenges. Sneaking into a heavily-defended fortress and poisoning a feared warlord - that would be a task worthy of a ninja. But killing Yukio - no. There had to be some mistake, or failing that, a way out. Whoever came up with the stupid idea that ninja should follow rules, anyway?

-

Toshiba's past has found him again, maybe for good. Riding ahead of the wagon is the reason he ran away, tried to leave his clan behind. And now, he sees fellow clan members caught in the same position he was in once. Will they desert, too, and choose his life of looking over your shoulder every minute of every hour of every day? Or will they go through with their grim duty? And perhaps most of all - what will happen to him? If they run, then three rogue ninja are a higher priority than one. But if they do kill Yukio, will they turn on him next?

-

The taste of bile retreats only hesitantly from Kasumi's mouth. Yukio is a noble of the worst sort, self-absorbed, proud and obsessed with living up to a ficticious code of honor rather than daring to use her own judgement and intelligence. They're all the same, aren't they? Nobles...nothing but trouble.

---

High in the mountains to the west of the valley lies the redoubt of the assassins of the Ayami clan. Built from rock and wood, it once took hundreds of people to prepare the grounds, transport all the materials up the mountain pass and build their clan fortress. But once that had been accomplished, the fight against nature was half won. The ninja have been preparing their fortress for the yearly maintenance ever since the first signs of spring arrived, and now that the path down to the valley is free from snow and ice, the first trading parties have been sent out to procure building materials. Rotten wood needs to be replaced, reeds fetched for insulation, and lacquers and paints mixed to preserve the substance of the buildings.

Master Sinan's quarters are a rather unique fixture. As the head of the clan, his prerogative is residing in the "house", a large cave further up the mountain connected to the main fortress by rough steps hewn into stone. The entrance is enclosed by standard building materials, as are his living quarters, but beyond that the cave stretches deeper into the mountain. Nobody but the grand masters of the clan have ever ventured into it, but it is rumored that it contains:

a) a secret network of caves with escape routes (a view common among the lesser masters and instructors of the clan)
b) the mystical library of Shadow Scrolls that contain the most secret and elite teachings of the clan (a view said masters and instructors feel free to tell any student who asks about the caves)
c) lots of silver coins (or so the senior students will try to convince you)

Kyon really doesn't want to know. He was always the runt of his year, with pitiful marks in sneaking and a hopeless backstabbing technique, but fortunately he proved to be rather handy with numbers. And so he serves as Master Sinan's personal assistant, taking care of the business side of things and managing the extensive network of outside spies and messengers the clan deploys. In the hands of anyone else, the position of the clan's chief financier and spymaster would be a dangerous one, indeed, but the most remarkable feature of young Kyon has always been his lack of ambition.

Standing in Sinan's quarters and looking into the darkness of the caves beyond, Kyon does feel a slight urge to look for a different career.

"Master Sinan?" he calls out, bowing to the empty shadows. "We have news of our efforts in the Little Fox matter."
"What is it?" Sinan's voice booms from out of the cave. After a moment, the Ayami clan leader melts out of the shadows. He is a rough-spoken man with a wiry build and cold eyes, and being clad in a full-body black ninja suit with mask, his other features are hard to discern. Kyon himself has never seen his master's face, but if his math stacks up, Sinan should be in his late 40s.

"Master Sinan," Kyon says, bowing briefly. "Our two scouts have successfully flushed Little Fox from hiding. As we suspected, she was in Golden Harvest."
"Then the matter is taken care of?" Sinan says with a hint of distaste.
"No," Kyon says - flatly, not with defiance or even confidence, just a statement of fact that he knows will bring no trouble on him. "Little Fox was last seen moving southward, with the scouts accompanying her. And the renegade is still with them."
"Hmm!" Sinan grunts. "Just as well. Send someone to find out what's going on. Confront our scouts, if necessary. But we cannot proceed until we know what is going on."
"Shall I send an assassination team?" Kyon asks.
"No," Sinan replies. "Not yet. Come to think of it...definitely confront the scouts. Give the messenger new orders for them. They are to stay with Little Fox, to observe and above all to report back to us for now."
"Very well, Master Sinan," Kyon says. "Shall I inform the client?"
"No. We are not reneging on the contract. If Little Fox dies, it will be by our hand. But not until we know more."
"Yes, Master Sinan. I obey."
"Good," Sinan says. "Now leave me to my meditation, Kyon."

Kyon bows again, turns around and leaves to execute his master's will. Sinan walks back into the darkness of the caves to commune with the shadows once more.

Gain the target's trust, he thinks. Always a good opening move.
Gatac 2010-02-20 15:58:15
The sweeping, fertile plains of the valley made way for a light forest five miles ago. Your little convoy is still moving south, headed for the Imperial War Academy, but there are no more rolling fields of corn here. The ground is wet and makes a smacking sound under the hooves of your horses. Soon, the dirt road switches to cobblestones as the forest makes way for a full-blown swamp. At least the main trade road seems in good repair, but that is quite necessary to keep it from being swallowed. Ahead, you see a small bridge crossing over a stream, and another wagon coming your way in the distance. As for the sound, it seems you have stumbled right into the ancestral breeding grounds of a particularly loud and annoying species of bullfrog. A few gnats here and there. No mosquitos, though.

Yukio still rides ahead, with her matted armor and lance at her side, scanning the road ahead for anything that might have sat next to a threat once in a teahouse. In contrast, Toshi seems more relaxed, steering his wagon with a calm confidence. He seems at home working with animals.

"Even if this is a bust," Toshi says out of nowhere, "at least I can see the South again. I really miss those fried fish, you know."
"I wouldn't mind eating some of these frogs, just to silence them," Toshiba grumbles before adding, "Is that a wagon in the distance?"

Kasumi has been mentally going over her covers in the south. The attaché might be useful. Greetings, my name is Kyo Tanaka, attaché to the consul from San'in. I have authorization to negotiate on behalf of the counsul, surely you've heard of him. She looks up and forward at Toshiba's comment about a wagon. "Hm, seems so." She loosens her kimono from its normally tightly secured state, in case she has to move quickly, and adjusts her hard leather vest underneath.

"That looks like a wagon, yes," Toshi says. "Why, do you...what are you thinking?" He looks over at Toshiba. "Is there something you're gonna do? Because I'd really like a little warning if you are gonna do something."
"I'm less concerned about what we're going to do, and more about what they're going to do, Toshi," Kasumi says. She refolds her kimono's ends to conceal her preparations and tries to look as bored as possible.

Toshiba starts to shush Toshi, but simply nods once Kasumi says it better. He simply continues traveling in a casual manner.

"What do you mean, they? They're not gonna..."

The other wagon's horse neighs loudly and swerves to the side. The wagon turns, blocking the entire width of the cobblestone road. The driver secures the reigns and climbs down from the wagon, then starts walking towards you. Yukio brings her horse to a stop and readies her lance; Toshi stops the wagon to avoid crashing into her.

"I'm not going to like this, not at all," Toshi mumbles quickly.
"Everyone stay calm," Kasumi says quietly. "Including you, Yukio. Let's see what's going on, but keep your eyes open."

The driver continues his approach. As he draws closer, you can see that he's wearing a large cloak over his body - a ratty one in a dirty pale brown, but with enough material and folds to hide pretty much anything beneath it. The road behind you looks clear, but on the narrow road and with the ground around it soaking wet, it would take a minute at least to turn the wagon around.

The driver simply keeps walking. No overt moves, no reaching for anything - though it's hard to tell -, just closing the distance.

Kasumi doesn't like this. It feels like a setup. One slow, mysterious individual has all their attention, while who knows what is circling around behind and to their sides. "Toshiba, Kagemaru, Kiara, do you see anything in the woods?" she whispers.

[1d20+10 = 17 + 10 = 27] (Toshiba's Notice)

[1d20+9 = 8 + 9 = 17] (Kagemaru's Notice)

[1d20 = 3] (Kiara's Notice)

[1d20+6 = 14 + 6 = 20] (Kasumi's Notice)

Kiara takes a quick glance around, but her eyes always return to the figure ahead. Her eyes are already on target - too late to hope for any other discoveries.

"I see three," Kagemaru says, pointing at dark spots in the forests behind them. Kasumi can just make them out once she concentrates on them.
"Five," Toshiba says. "They've got bows and a tripwire."
"Alright, stay calm," Kasumi says. "Keep an eye on them and we'll play along for now. Maybe this is just how they greet visitors."
"I think 'playing along' results in us being robbed and murdered," Toshiba says. "Better to strike now while they think we only see their frontman."
"Then let us draw him closer in, so we strike on our terms instead of his." Kasumi looks up at the approaching man. "Greetings, sir! Who do we have the honor of meeting on this day?"

"My name is Ueki Kogin," the man says, and dramatically lets his cloak fly open, exposing his leather armor and bandolier of weapons. "I am known as the Sparrow!" he shouts, drawing a katana with his right hand. "You killed my brother!" he shouts, and draws another sword with his left hand. "Prepare to die!"

...and then...

Nothing.

"What are you waiting for?" he shouts.
"I'm sorry," Kasumi says in a normal tone of voice, just below the level that Kogin could easily hear. "I don't seem to remember killing anyone's brother recently." She looks to Kagemaru, Kiara and Toshiba. "Do any of you?"

Kagemaru and Kiara can only offer shrugs.

"Perhaps you do not know who killed your brother, so you assail all who travel this road?" Toshiba calls to the Sparrow.
"Of course I know who killed my brother!" Sparrow calls, and points one of his swords at Kasumi. "I was there when you killed him and burned down our camp, you bitch!"
Kasumi looks shocked, confused, and a little bit hurt. "There's no need to shout, sir. I assure you, I haven't killed anyone's brother. What was his name?"
"Oki Kogin!" Sparrow shouts. "The Eagle! That's who you killed, and playing dumb will not help you! I have...I have a legion of ninjas at my disposal! Hah! Didn't expect that from a bandit, did you? Well, you didn't find our secret gold treasure. I used it to hire a whole clan of ninjas to follow me. You don't see them! You won't see them! But I need only make a gesture - a single gesture - and they will fill you with a hundred...no, a thousand arrows!"

Even Sparrow doesn't believe that last part. He still shouts it, though. You wonder how much longer he can keep this up without going hoarse.

"I like you, Sparrow," Toshiba says. "To avenge your brother is honorable. Why not fight a one-on-one duel instead of relying on hirelings?"
"Thanks for that, Toshiba," Kasumi mutters. [1d20+8 = 20 + 8 = 28] (Kasumi Sense Motive) "I can honestly say that I've never met the man you claim I killed in a fight, sir. But if it's a dual you want, I will be happy to oblige your request if you dismiss your ninja."
"They, uh, I can't send them away," Sparrow says, then resumes shouting. "Face me! Face me in single combat, any one of you bastards, and I will avenge my brother's death! I will wash your sins from the earth with the cleansing fire of your blood! My blades will devour your souls and...it's gonna hurt really bad!"
"Eagle soars no more, wings clipped by treacherous blades. I am your huckleberry," Toshiba says. "Okay, it is not a proper haiku, I admit."
"STOP RHYMING ABOUT MY BROTHER'S DEATH!" Sparrow shouts. His face is the color of a well-boiled lobster.

Kasumi looks at this scared, angry, confused teenager, rage and pain on his face, but at the same time, he's barely able to hold his swords up. She knows what the anger on his face means, what it comes from. "I really don't want to kill this kid, Toshiba," she whispers, and stands up inside the wagon. "No, I will dual the Sparrow," she shouts. "It is his brother I am accused of killing, it's only fair that I be the one to face him. Alone."

Yukio has been watching the entire affair with a mixture of contempt and amusement. She hears Kasumi's proclamation and gives her a "Sure, why not" nod.

INITIATIVE

[1d20+9 = 13 + 9 = 22] (Kasumi)

[1d20+2 = 20 + 2 = 22] (Sparrow)

[1d20+1 = 8 + 1 = 9]

[1d20+1 = 7 + 1 = 8] (Sparrow's attacks)

Before Kasumi's quite finished climbing down from the wagon, Sparrow already rushes at her, his voice breaking from the strain of the warcry. He swings both of his swords at her with a few wild swipes, but doesn't come close to hitting anything.

Kasumi motions for the others to stay out of this, and as Ueki turns around for a second attack, she positions herself in a defensive stance, ready to move or deflect anything that the Sparrow throws at her.

(Kasumi takes Total Defense option.)

[1d20+1 = 18 + 1 = 19]

[1d20+1 = 16 + 1 = 17]

Credit where credit is due - those came a lot closer. Sparrow's forcing Kasumi back through the sheer volume of swings, twirling the swords in his hands as he spins for swipe after swipe. It *looks* impressive, anyway.

Kasumi's brow furrows as she quickly bursts out of the reach of the last attack. Just a bit longer, then I'll take him down.

Kagemaru notices one of Kiara's hands snaking for her dagger. Getting ready to clean up...he motions for her to sit this one out.

[1d20+1 = 14 + 1 = 15]

[1d20+1 = 14 + 1 = 15]

"I will KILL YOU! KILL YOU!" Sparrow gasps as loudly as he can manage. His flurry of attacks is slowing down from the strain of wielding two full-sized swords in armor, and his voice is just about completely gone.

[1d20+7 = 18 + 7 = 25] (Kasumi's Disarm)

[1d20+5 = 14 + 5 = 19] (Sparrow's Resist)

It doesn't take long for Sparrow to overextend a strike badly. Kasumi sees her chance and grabs him by the wrist, twisting his arm. The young bandit dives forward and rolls, breaking free. He comes to a stop and turns back to face Kasumi, with a mad grin - and she subtly motions towards one of his swords, now stuck in the ground beside him.

[1d20+7 = 11 + 7 = 18] (Kasumi's Disarm)

[1d20+5 = 14 + 5 = 19] (Sparrow's Resist)

He lunges again, but this time his arm slips away before Kasumi can gain any leverage. One thing Sparrow has over his big brother - he's definitely more agile -

[1d20+1 = 16 + 1 = 17] (Sparrow's Attack)

[1d10 = 10] (Sparrow's Damage, reduced to 9 by Kasumi's armor)

- and proves it with a lightning fast flip, slashing through Kasumi's kimono and skidding along her armor.

[1d20+1 = 3 + 1 = 4] (Sparrow's Attack)

But Kasumi is ready for his follow-up and dances out of the way easily. She puts her hand up and again gestures for the others to stay out of the combat and let her handle this.

[1d20+7 = 13 + 7 = 20] (Kasumi's Disarm)

[1d20+5 = 13 + 5 = 18] (Sparrow's Resist)

After a moment's pause, Sparrow attacks again, swinging like a madman. Kasumi sidesteps, grabs his wrist and twists with both hands. Sparrow cries out in pain and lets his second sword drop.

[1d20+6 = 12 + 6 = 18] (Kasumi's Acrobatics)

[1d20+2 = 11 + 2 = 13] (Sparrow's Acrobatics)

From there on, it's easy. Kasumi steps into Sparrow's defense, hooks his leg and sweeps. The young bandit topples easily and lands on his back in the muck next to the road. With a smile on his face, Kagemaru watches the ongoing fight, wondering how many times Toshi had such fun with Kasumi. And a thought crosses his mind: how well she'd fight against Yukio.

The young bandit struggles with the muck, clearly overloaded on both weight, anger and exhaustion to actually rise up. His hands fly to the bandoleers, drawing a pair of wicked-looking (in the sense of crude and probably Tetanus-inducing) daggers.

"Fight me!" he croaks. "Stop toying with me and fight me!"

[1d20+7 = 19 + 7 = 26] (Kasumi's Coup de Grace)

Just as Sparrow tries to get up again, Kasumi lands a swift kick against his leg. He slips back and rolls down the side of the elevated road, getting himself well and truly...well, mired.

"You will pay for this!" Sparrow croaks. "You and all of your friends, just...just wait until I get out of here, you hag!"

Kasumi carefully picks her way down the slope down to where Sparrow is stuck on his back, flailing about helplessly in the muck. When she gets there, she tears off the ruined sleeve from her kimono, folds it and sits down next to Sparrow on it. "Are you done, Ueki?" she asks in a patient and kind tone of voice.

Sparrow breathes heavily for a few seconds. Then, he cracks a careful smile. "Yes," he says. "I thought it would go better, honestly."
Kasumi doesn't move. "Hand me the other dagger, Ueki."

Sparrow hesitates for a moment, then hurls the dagger in his hand far into the swamp. It sinks with a "THUMP"-like sound.

"Do you have any other weapons on you?" Kasumi asks.

Sparrow unhooks his bandoleer and hands it to Kasumi. She can see the the lower knife sheathes are sewed onto the leather in a rather...amateur manner. When she pulls on one handle experimentally, all she gets is a grip - it breaks off the sheath, having been glued to it to give the illusion of a full knife. All the real weapons appear to have either been used or are now lost to the muck.

"Is this all of your weapons?" Kasumi asks again. "You don't have anything else hidden on you? Let me see your hands."
"Here, hands," Sparrow says, holding up his hands and drawing back his sleeves. "Look, I know you have to make sure, but can we hurry this up a little? The mud is really cold, and it's getting into places I don't like being cold in, if you know what I mean."
"Are you waiting for me to kill you, Ueki?" Kasumi asks, looking at the trees all around them.
"I'd really rather you didn't," Sparrow says, "now that you've beat me and all. I thought I could at least get you to offer me some money to pay me off...spent my last coin on paying a couple guys in the tavern to dress in black and lurk in the forest, make it look like a serious ambush."
Kasumi shakes her head. "We could have killed them, Ueki. You put their lives at risk, for what? They had nothing to do with this."
"They put their own lives at risk when they gouged me on their fees," Sparrow says. "Nobody's gonna miss that bunch of drunks. Come on, lady. You really think you're gonna get me with that lecture?"
She shrugs. "I just think that you might want to think about what you're doing, that's all." She looks at the stuck teenager, who squelches a bit in the mud as he looks around. "Yes, I was in the camp that night, but I didn't kill your brother, I swear it. I didn't see you there, though."
"Thought about what I was doing, decided I was screwed anyway, figured I'd have a go at it," Sparrow says. "And do you really think I called you out because I think you killed my big brother? Please. I saw those ninjas you were with finishing him off. You think I want to throw down with them, or that Samurai chick you've got riding up front? I thought you'd be...you know, harmless. Relatively."
Kasumi laughs. "Thanks, I try." She fingers the bandoleer she confiscated from Sparrow. "You know, this isn't that bad. Looked pretty good from a distance." She looks back to Sparrow. "You work hard on it?"
"It was kind of a last-minute idea," Sparrow says. "I usually do a better job, but I only came up with it this morning, so I had to hurry, you don't even want to know how long this glue takes to set...cheap, but just horrible, it takes forever." He looks up at Kasumi. "So, ah, I was the armorer, I figure you thought we all looked the same in our armor at night so you don't recognize me, can you now please help me out of here?"
"One more thing," Kasumi says. "We're on our way further south. You said you spent your last pieces of silver on all this?"
"That, and I went halfsies on a chicken," Sparrow says. "Chicken was probably the better investment, hindsight and all."
"You got anywhere to go now?" she asks, eyeing his handiwork on the bandoleer a bit closer.

"Uh, back to the Forge, I guess," Sparrow says. "Steal some coins for seed money, take over a leather shop, start working up some trash for the tourists to buy - I can do a fairly good Foreigner shoe, I just need some cork for that. And, uh, see where it goes from there. Look, I didn't exactly have a retirement plan, okay? Running with my brother's crew was a good way to make quick cash. Can't say I didn't enjoy it, but you hold a knife to my neck and ask me what I want to do for the rest of my life, well, I'm a leather-worker. If I can earn my way with that and afford the occasional piece of light entertainment, I'd be ahead of the curve." He looks at Kasumi. "Because I'm really not cut out for banditry."

She smiles and nods, then stands up over Sparrow. "Well, we're heading to the Imperial War Academy, and I'd bet they could always use some apprentices to work in their armor shops. Want to come along?" She moves to offer her hand to help him out of the mud, then pauses. "Only if you promise to not try to kill me again, of course," she says with a grin.
"I promise not to try to kill you again," Sparrow says. "And I'll come along if you've, er, got a set of spare clothes."
"I think Kagemaru's got something that might fit you," Kasumi says, grabs his hand and leans back, yanking him out of the mud with a loud sucking sound.
"Thank you," Sparrow said, muck oozing out of his clothes as he shakes his pants. "I'd hug you, but...you know."

He points to the swords. "I, uh, you probably don't want me to pick those up myself, but if you could...I gotta return them by tomorrow, you know?"
She nods. "Sure, we'll drop them off on our way there. Come on, let's get out of the muck, huh?"

Kasumi helps Sparrow out of the mud and walks him back to the wagon. Yukio throws her a glance.

"What is it with you and hopeless cases?" she says.
"You see hopelessness, I see wasted potential," Kasumi says as she climbs back on board the wagon. She sits back down in her place at the front and nods her head forward. "Shouldn't we get moving?"
"You really scare me, you know that?" Toshi says as Kasumi climbs back onto the wagon. "In a good way."
"Thanks...I guess," she says with a smile. "Let's get Ueki's swords and get out of here before the real bandits show up, hm?"

You quickly retrieve the scattered weapons and clear the other wagon from the road - it is, as expected, an old clunker, and the horse - upon release - trots back south lazily. With this obstacle out of the way, you continue on your way to the Valley of the Masters.
Gatac 2010-03-02 22:15:05
The rest of the journey is uneventful. By evening, you have passed through the tiger gate, two large statues of tigers carved into the sides of the mountains that flank the pass to the Valley of the Masters. The "pass" is a low one and has been free of snow for many weeks, though you do remain wary of avalanches and mudslides from above. Fortunately, the mountains are quiet all the way through your passage.

With the pass behind you, the usual image shows itself: a small trading post at the mouth of the pass where weary travelers and merchants keep the economy going. You press on for the war academy, though. The road leads through a majestic forest and over several hills. Every so often, you spot the smoke plumes from the many small forges that dot the valley, but the academy is the closest thing to a city here.

With another half day's travel behind you, you finally reach the outer bridge of the academy. Yukio motions for you to halt and rides ahead onto the narrow bridge. You notice that there is a cliff beneath, a natural barrier that places the academy on higher ground and makes the bridge the only easy way to access it. Yukio stops her horse on the bridge and appears to simply wait for a minute. But nothing happens to her, and eventually she motions for you to follow and has her horse trot forward. While you wonder what that was all about, you can already hear the loud creaking of the academy's gate being opened. The two wings of the gate swing inward at an agonizingly slow speed, revealing a single old man standing in the entrance, silhouetted by the noon sun behind him.

On the ride up, Kasumi was content to simply take in the sights and look out for trouble. She spotted a dozen different roadside grifts in the trading post, siphoning money off of the travellers and noble families that come up here to try to show off their children to the Academy. Of her many issues with the noble classes, their education system isn't one of them, it's a tough but fair way of throwing the little brats into the deep end, and Kasumi thinks about what's waiting for them up at the Academy as they draw closer.

The outer bridge is impressive, but Kasumi knows better than to just sit there, slack-jawed, like she notices Ueki is. She gently elbows him in the side and motions for him to straighten up. When the gate opens, she squints at the old man. She swears she's seen him before, but she can't place where. Kasumi shrugs, she's also seen a lot of old men in her life of swindling, and thinks nothing of it.

"Are we going in or what?" Toshiba whispers.
"I prefer a relaxing stay on a rickety bridge in full view of the fortress's defenses," Ueki snarks. "But I'm not much of an 'indoors' person."

Kagemaru has been even quieter than usual on the trip. He's been busy thinking about what they should do now.

I wonder what's gonna happen, he thinks. I really don't want to kill Yukio. But if she really is a valid target...I won't have much choice, then.

A quick glance at Kiara tells him that he's not alone with that particular thought.

Yukio climbs off her horse, approaches the old man and bows very deeply. After a short discussion, the man nods and walks inside. Yukio fetches her horse and leads it inside. You follow with the wagon.

Behind the gate, you find the vast courtyard of the academy, with several buildings stretching in the distance. It is here that the big drills take place, where lots of prospective soldiers are led through the basics of fighting, and where the parades are held. But currently, the courtyard stands deserted, and it frankly doesn't look like it's seen a lot of action recently.

As you climb down from the wagon, Yukio is once again talking to the old man with a respectfully hushed tone. After a few more exchanges, she excuses herself. The old man looks at the gathered lot of brigands that has accompanied Yukio to the academy and smiles.

"I am Oa," he says simply. "You have done me a service by arranging for one of my pupils to return to me, but surely the journey was exhausting. We shall arrange for quarters for you."

He looks around.

"And maybe we can learn a little from each other," he says with a smile.

Kasumi watches as Yukio says...something to the old man. After his introduction, she steps forward. "We've come a long way, but the matters at hand are too important to wait." She smiles. "And all due respect, but I'm not entirely certain I won't wake up with a knife in my back here. So, shall we get down to business?"

Oa smiles.

"And you would be?" he asks. "Please forgive an old man that he forgets names so easily..."

Kasumi frowns. Forgets names? "Kasumi Kagawa." She gives a prefunctory bow.
"I see that life has made you to the point," Oa says, returning the bow more slowly. "And the others?"
"Toshiba Shiretoko, Oa-san. It is a pleasure to finally reach your Academy."
"Well-met, man of the mountain and forests," Oa replies.

Toshiba raises an eyebrow and permits a sly grin. It's like this Oa fellow has been watching us.

"And you?" Oa asks.
"I am, uh, I'm Toshi," Toshi says. "Toshiro Mohime."
"I remember you, Toshiro," Oa says. "You used to steal the grain from our fields."
"My...my apologies, Oa-sensei!" Toshi blurts out and bows deeply. "It is true that I was once a thief, but I am on a quest for redemption!"
"Then steal no more," Oa says, "no more grain, no more names - and no more hearts." Yukio blushes at that, just a little.

"I am -" Kage begins, but Oa stops him with the slightest of gestures. The old man doesn't move much, but his posture sends clear signals.
"You and your...sister?" Oa says, stopping to look at Kiara. "No. But I need no names from those who have none."
"And I am Ueki Kogin," Ueki says. Oa nods to that.
"Here to spread your wings, are you?" Oa says. "We can find a place for you."

With the introductions done, Oa turns to Yukio again.

"Yukio-kun, I am delighted that you have brought your friends with you. I will have one of the students prepare rooms for you. If you would join me for tea when the sun turns red, I would be most appreciative."

"It would an honor, Oa-sensei," Yukio says.

"Then we shall talk at such a time," Oa says, nods once more and turns to walk away.
"That's it?" Kasumi asks, and shakes her head. "Oa-san, we came a long way to get here, and those who seek to kill Yukio aren't going to stand on ceremony, especially if they're already in your Academy. I promised that I would find out who seeks to end your student's life, and you put discussion off until after your private chat with her? In my experience, assassins rarely wait until it's polite to murder you. Any information you have, we need to know so we can keep her alive."

Oa turns again to face Kasumi, slowly. If he wasn't so old, you'd think he's doing it deliberately to anger you. Actually, he might still be.

"Young lady," he says, "you speak of coming a long way to get here, and I can see that you have, indeed. But look into my face, at my tired bones, and ask how long the way has been for me to come to this place, at this time, to speak to you. You talk of experience, but I can see in your movements an old promise that lacks the refinement of knowledge. My shoulders carry the burden of ages; that is why I aspire to wisdom even as it bows and humbles me before the universe. Your promise is dear to you, not quite as dear to me - but that is how it should be, no? And blades will be stayed until such a time as it becomes of advantage to draw. Yukio-kun and all of you are safe here, always. Now, please add to your fine clothes and your well-chosen words the gift of patience; this is neither the time nor the place to speak of plots long in the making."

The meaning behind Oa's last few words, combined with his subtle movements, becomes a new one for Kasumi as she figures out what he's implying: it's not safe to talk about the conspiracy now. Oa's biding his time, and wants you to do the same.

Kasumi nods in acknowledgement and respect. The "I'm just an old man" act. I respect that. And we will talk about that later. "Yes, maybe you're right, Oa-san. I apologize." She bows again, and takes a step back, sneaking a glance at Yukio.
Yukio shoots Kasumi a "What in the seven hells do you think you're doing arguing with my master?" look.

"Oh, and Yukio-kun," Oa says.
"Yes?" Yukio says, snapping back to attention and bowing. "What is it, Oa-sensei?"
"Do try to lighten up a little," Oa says, and smiles.

The old master turns again and starts walking away to...whereever. As soon as he's out of - well, not exactly earshot, more like what polite society assumes earshot to be - Yukio turns to Kasumi.

"What was that?" she asks. "We came here to seek Oa's wisdom, not to interrogate him. Show some respect to your betters."
Kasumi turns to the cart and pulls her bag off the back. "I believe I just did," she says. "He's pretty clever for an old man, and he told us everything we need to know for now, just had to ask the right way. You pick up on that, Toshiba?"
"Pick up on what?" Toshiba asks. "He knew us - all of us - and he's offering us tea. I leave the interrogations to you."
Kasumi smiles. "We're safe here, for now at least." She shoulders her bag. "So, where are the guest quarters in this place?"
"Next to the student quarters, I would think," Yukio says, still glaring briefly at Kasumi. "Come on. I know the way. Toshi, you get the wagon over there."
"Yes, Yukio," Toshi says and grins. "I know the way."

Yukio blushes again.

"I imagine tea should be quite mundane," Toshiba adds, "but the rest of the evening will likely prove the opposite."

Kiara had remained silent throughout the introductions, though she had shortly found herself annoyed at the old man. She could of course respect his wisdom, as any ninja in their clan would learn to respect, but controlling her temper had never been her strong suit, so for now she simply disliked the fellow for his know-it-all stance and presuming manner.

It wasn't until after they parted ways that Kiara's neutral expression turned back to the others, letting her face slip into a casual grin, "After a trip like that, I wouldn't mind something a little less mundane. If I don't get in some practice, I'll feel as old as that guy looks." The last part had fallen to a whisper so that only her fellow ninja could hear. Then aloud again, "But I like tea too."
Gatac 2010-03-04 17:10:31
Kasumi creeps slowly towards the headmaster's quarters, stolen knife tucked up her sleeve. The halls of the Academy were empty, making her job that much easier, but she has no illusions as to how perceptive the old man is. She presses herself flat against the frame of the sliding door, left suspiciously open. She rolls sideways into the room, knife sliding out of her sleeve and into her hand in a fighting stance.

Oa sits next to the fire in his chimney, enjoying a hot cup of tea. He looks at Kasumi and smiles thinly.

"I was going to propose that we have tea tomorrow, young lady," Oa says. "But you have no wish to wait, it seems. So, do come in...Kirika, was it?" He smiles. "One of those K-names, my memory isn't that bad."

Kasumi's eyes narrow, and she quickly slides the door shut with her foot. "Forgets names? An old promise? I'm not stupid, old man. Tell me, how do you know who I am? Tell me!"
"I know you because we have met, or so I seem to recall," Oa says. "You are the daughter of Ameda Kamura, are you not?"
Kasumi draws in a sharp breath at the mention of her father's name. "Yes," she says, then regains her edge. "No one knows that. Everyone who did know has long since forgotten, the traitorous bastards."
"Then, maybe, I simply guessed," Oa says. "But if you will humor an old man, I can tell you a story."

Oa pauses briefly, then continues.

"It was a spring...a decade and more years past, when I was still a young man," Oa says, chuckling. "Ameda Kamura came to this Academy, because as it happened, he had a favor to ask of me. You see, he had a daughter - Kirika was her name -, and she was his pride, his everything. He had taught her what he knew of the fighting arts, and of etiquette, but he knew he could not provide a full education for his daughter all by himself. He sought for her to be accepted into this place - a wish I could not grant while Ameda was present, as I needed time. Ameda and his daughter left, for parts unknown. Two weeks later, I came to a decision - to grant Ameda's wish. I sent a letter telling him, and eagerly awaited seeing young Kirika again to begin her training."

He looks at Kasumi.

"And until this morning, I waited."

Kasumi fights to keep her aggressive stance, but when Oa starts talking about her father and the lessons he had taught her, she falters. The knife falls from her hands, sticking in the floor with a thonk, and she collapses into a seated position.

"I remember coming here," she whispers. "I remember visiting many places those months, when we were looking for a place for me to go and learn. But I was young, only 11 or 12, and I don't remember much else." Kasumi looks up and wipes her eyes. "We went to so many places, met so many people. I was so excited to be out of the palace grounds..."

She looks at Oa. "My mother and I never got your letter. It was...it was too late." She tries to straighten herself up a bit. "Just like it's too late now. I am Kasumi Kagawa now, not Kirika Kamura, and I'm here to help a friend, not revisit the past of a little girl that was abandoned by the nobles she thought were her friends."

Oa looks at Kasumi intently.

"Your stance...it still shows the grace your father taught you, but I read hard years in your shins. You've done what you can to keep your hands unblemished, but they too wear the results of many fights. Your right knee is weakened from a long-healed strike that would have seen anyone banished from an official sparring court; I've not heard of such an event involving you, or indeed any tournaments that you have competed in. I can only conclude that you found your education on the streets, and that your family hit upon some misfortune shortly after your father's visit here. For that, I am sorry."

He looks at her.

"You will help your friend. In this, I see no question. But your path has led you back here; it was seeing your path back then and meditating on it that convinced me to admit you. That decision still stands. The guidance of this academy is your right, if you would claim it."
Kasumi shakes her head. "It's too late for all of that. I'm too old, and what I'm doing is far too important to spend the next decade here, learning how to walk in formation properly. I'm not that little noble girl anymore, Oa-san. You know what I do, now, who I am. I'm a thief and a swindler, not a soldier."
"I would not have you instructed in the manner of a young child," Oa says. "And I have something else of yours."

Oa gets up from his cushion and steadies himself briefly on a pillar before walking over to the corner of his room that contains his cot. He digs into a large wooden chest and finally retrieves an item wrapped in several layers of cloth.

"Child -" he says, and flips around with a burst of speed that catches Kasumi off-guard. She barely manages to raise her hands and grab the object thrown at her - an intricately decorated sword in its scabbard. "This is what your father came here to have me safeguard. Both his daughter, and this prize."

Kasumi reverantly unwraps the fine silk cover of the sword. The craftsmanship is astonishing, some of the best she's seen on anything, let alone a sword. It must have cost her father a fortune.

As she pulls the wrapping off the rest of the way, she sees a roll of paper wrapped around the middle of the scabbard. She carefully unwinds it, revealing a beautiful inlay of a crane flying up out of the water, and reads the note.

For my Kirika - I am and will always be proud of you.

Kamura.

Kasumi's eyes well up with tears, and she carefully folds the paper in her hands, then stands. A quick flip of the scabbard through her waistband secures it to her side, and with her feet in place, she draws the sword. A more finely-crafted katana, she has never seen. The long grip and lighter weight of the sword is different than the others she has held before and gives it an odd balance, but when she closes her eyes and thinks back to her father's strong hands guiding her arms through her exercises, the motion of the weapon could not feel more natural.

First - she swings a strong downward blow - second - the sword flows up and across her body - third - a mirror-image of the first, which leads to - fourth - a sweeping horizontal slice - fifth - a downwards returning flick to her side and - sixth - now clean, the sword is guided up and back into its scabbard.

Kasumi opens her eyes as the sword enters the scabbard with a snap. She wipes the tears running down her face with her sleeve, then turns and deeply bows to Oa. "Thank you, Oa-sensei, for this."
"It is yours," Oa says. "There can be no doubt. Now, we have had a very good conversation, Kirika-kun. Perhaps you would join me tomorrow so that we may speak of your promise to Yukio-kun."
Kasumi bows again. "Yes, Oa-sensei. But my name is Kasumi, not Kirika."

Oa nods.

"I will remember this, I swear," he says, smiling. "Good night, Kasumi-kun."
"Good night, Oa-sensei," Kasumi says, and walks towards the door. She opens it, bows again as she leaves, and walks slowly back to her room. She feels the rough paper of her father's note in her hand, and the new but somehow familiar weight of her sword on her side, and smiles.