Paybacks - Chapter 10: I Hope You Die

Dieter 2005-06-22 16:29:09
Understood Osprey. Regroup at the rally point. Your ride leaves in less than five.

"Agent Hummingbird. Now would be a good time to head for the airstrip."

Nightengale picks up his phone and calls Dalton.

"Nightengale to Woodstock. Fox is bagged, make your run for the henhouse."

Rog-er...Ro-ger. Woodstock coming in for a Seven-Zero-Niner.

Brian makes a break for the airstrip and sees the Agency Gulfstream slip below the cloudline. It's making its final approach.
Gatac 2005-06-22 16:32:34
Jess whips the car around once more, hoping that it can carry them up to the aircraft.

Don't give out on me, boy. Please![/b]
Dieter 2005-06-22 16:58:46
The damaged tire begins to rub violently against the wheelwell, grinding down to the rim as Jess speeds toward the tarmac. Carla and Elena continue to keep the angry mob, firing at one the UAZs which currently is in pursuit of the Team.

Brian hoofs it to the gate, giving one of the downed guards a boot to the ribs before continuing towards the airstrip. From his perspective he can clearly see the UAZ moving up on the van.

The van's engine groans under the high RPMs as sparks begin shooting out the back, showering the encroaching UAZ with a lightshow of hot metal. Front tires touching black tarmac, Jess nearly has bent the accelerator, the van replying with a horrible grinding noise followed by a belch of black smoke from underneath the hood. Through the shattered windscreen, plane landing lights are seen approaching.

"Time to ditch this thing. Falconet and err...Elena, wasn't it? You'll need to keep that UAZ at bay while the plane taxis toward us. And where the hell is Agent Osprey?"

(Edited by Dieter at 11:18 am on June 22, 2005)
Gatac 2005-06-22 17:07:02
By now, Jess is doing everything she can just keeping the damn thing running, but realises it's futile as the engine goes through the first stages of seizure.

"Attention all passengers: Please remain seated until we have reached our final parking position."
Dieter 2005-06-23 15:35:07
Jess pulls off the tarmac perpendicular to the runway as the van craps itself into submission. The trailing UAZ stops short of their position with one of the passengers rushing back to man the tripodded LMG.

Woodstock to Nightengale. Touching down in ten seconds and coming in fast. We're only going to have one chance at this, so be ready to climb aboard.

Carla and Elena deploy out the van's sliding door and take up positions at the rear and front. The UAZ gunner racks back the LMG and begins stitching the van. Upon seeing the Gulfstream, the driving turns the wheel and pulls on to the runway.

Guys? There's a jeep on my approach vector and I'm not sure if you know, but these birds don't stop on a dime.

The sound of hastily braking wheels and full-throttle-back on the Gulfstream's engines is heard as the UAZ peels out.

(Edited by Dieter at 9:51 am on June 23, 2005)
Gatac 2005-06-23 15:44:18
"Motherfucker!"

Jess ditches the ride, draws her pistol and goes for full-fledged Weaver stance, preparing to shoot the UAZ as soon as she's got it in her sights.

Steady...steady...
Dieter 2005-06-23 17:06:00
The Team lights up the UAZ, spraying the jeep with bullets. Elena's crach-shooting comes in handy as she puts an aimed shot through the driver's window. It doesn't kill the merc outright, but does impede his driving ability. The UAZ fishtails as the merc struggles to keep himself conscious and the vehicle upright.

By now, the Gulfstream is in full view and the UAZ gunner opens up on the plane. Bullets *pank* off the fusilage, a few catching the tailwings.

Good gravy! All the gauges still look good, but I really don't want that to happen again! screams Dalton through his headset, cutting the landing lights in order to keep a lower profile.
Gatac 2005-06-23 19:17:16
"Keep firing!"

Jess holds her aim steady and sends some more lead downrange.
Dieter 2005-06-23 19:48:46
Concentratin fire on the gunner and the driver, the team proceeds to Bonny & Clyde the UAZ, peppering the jeep with countless rounds of ammunition as it motors toward the Gulfstream.

Both back tires are shredded down to the rims, the heavy barrage also taking out the gunner in the process. The driving merc now finds himself staring the nose of a 35-ton jet and bails out of the vehicle. Dalton sees the last-ditch effort and throttles the starboard engine and hammers down on the rudder in an attempt to dodge the crewless UAZ. The Gulfsteam turns sharply, avoiding most of the jeep but gets its winglet clipped.

By now, Brian has hoofed it all the way up to the van. It's shot to helll, but he sees the Team no worse for wear. The Gulfstream is wheeling around for take-off.

Woodstock to Nightengale. That crazy son of a bitch nearly grounded this bird. I've got a few failures in the starboard wing's avionics, but the redundant systems should be able to compensate. I'll spinning her around. You best be ready to leave.

Nightengale gives the order to head for the airstrip, the exterior door opening as the plane rights itself on the tarmac. They climb aboard.

This is your Captain. Ladies and Gents thank you for riding Fly-By-Night Air. Straps yourselves in and ready for take-off.

The Gulfstream's engines go to full power, pushing the Team deep into their seats. Out the window, Jess can see the damage on the wing...and quickly shuts the window flap.